PDA

View Full Version : [SW Saga] First Character

Gorbash
2009-05-31, 02:07 PM
So, we'll be starting a Star Wars campaign some times soon, and I opened SW RPG book for the first time today in order to see what my options are and I have a few quick questions.

What options are there for playing a Dark Side character? Not a Sith, but a Dark Jedi.

Is there an expanded list of races available for play? Nautolan, for example...

And how fares SW Saga in terms of balance/optimization? Which classes are the equivalent of say, Wizard, Cleric and Druid?

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-31, 02:38 PM
Pretty much all the books include new races. A Dark Jedi would just keep taking the Jedi, Jedi Knight, and Jedi Master classes (after all, Jedi is also the basic Sith class, pretty much), and grab Dark Side powers, Dark Side talents, Dark Side techniques, and Dark Side feats.

The balance is way better than in the earlier d20 Star Wars; Jedi no longer reign supreme, though they're still better than the others. You don't really have a whole lot of optimization to do class-wise - it comes down to which talents and feats work out best for you, and the differences are nowhere near as stark as in D&D, in my experience.

Mando Knight
2009-05-31, 02:39 PM
Saga is a lot closer to 4E than 3.5 in terms of balance... that is, no class has access to anything that's far more powerful than anything else that the others can get.

Each book (except for Starships of the Galaxy) adds in several new races.

For a Dark Jedi, I'd start with levels in Jedi, possibly going to Soldier for armor proficiency and Improved Armored Defense (adds half your armor bonus to your level when determining your Reflex Defense), and definitely going into Force Adept or Force Disciple. Several levels of Jedi Knight would be in order if the character was knighted before falling...

Starbuck_II
2009-05-31, 05:56 PM
Saga is a lot closer to 4E than 3.5 in terms of balance... that is, no class has access to anything that's far more powerful than anything else that the others can get.

True, getting Force powers is a feat so no class is better, but Dark side powers are strong.

Dark Side: Force lightning hurts and lowers condition track.
Light Side: At will Healing outside battle with vital Transfer

Really, Vital Transfer rocks outsider of battle, but in battle Force lighting rules.

Mando Knight
2009-05-31, 06:39 PM
Vital Transfer is the only way I know of that will let you heal back to full within 1 day. Thus, ensure that your lightside Force Users get it.

...However, you're Dark Side. Either go Lightning-Crazy, go TK-Crazy, or 'Saber-Crazy. Any of the three can work.

IIRC, Nautolan is in the Clone Wars Campaign guide. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the WotC supplements, anyway...

Gamgee
2009-05-31, 06:57 PM
Vital Transfer is the only way I know of that will let you heal back to full within 1 day. Thus, ensure that your lightside Force Users get it.

...However, you're Dark Side. Either go Lightning-Crazy, go TK-Crazy, or 'Saber-Crazy. Any of the three can work.

IIRC, Nautolan is in the Clone Wars Campaign guide. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the WotC supplements, anyway...

A person with the quick surgery feat that allows someone to perform surgery in 10 minutes or less can easily bring a character back up to full health in a day, but it won't be instant. An hour at max, but for most character I would say 20-30 minutes if the player is a dedicated medic. Combine with the Medic Prestige class and you can keep people in the fray longer and your healing is fray more effective.

Medpacs are limited to once a day, but are far faster than surgery. Surgery is not limited, but takes more time and generally heals far more than a medpac.

Edit
Combine with Medical Interface visors and a Medkit(Large backpack with advanced medical tools) and you get a +4 on the check. Assuming a decent Wis modifer of +4 skill training and focus and rolling a 12 average your usual healing ability roll is 30. Assuming a constitution of 10 that would be 20hp in ten minutes. That is at level one.

BooNL
2009-06-02, 06:57 AM
Saga encourages heavy multi-classing. You don't have to stay in Jedi if that doesn't suit your character. A sneaky undercover sith would probably have a couple of levels in Noble or Scoundrel as well.

In essence, look at what talents you're gunning for, instead of what class you need. Saga really separates crunch and fluff. You can have a simple background, like undercover sith but have a complete monster of a multiclass.