PDA

View Full Version : Defense against assassination?

Choco
2009-05-31, 09:29 PM
Long story short, the char I am currently playing (Barbarian5/Fighter2) has been having some "disagreements" with the party assassin (Rogue5/Assassin2). The assassin has stated that he has some dislike for me, and may try to kill me in the future. It would be out of character for me to kill him first (without provocation), not to mention the rest of the party might turn on me if I did that, so that option is out. He does not stand a chance against me pretty much any time I am awake due to my uncanny dodge ability making me immune to sneak/death attacks and my +12 to fortitude saves all but negating anything he could reasonably throw at me at his level, and other than hiring some magical NPC's to help kill me his only real option is to do it while I am asleep...

So basically my question is this: How could I defend myself in my sleep against this assassin, who has so many ranks in hide/move silently that no one in the party has any decent chance of detecting him. It would be preferable if the defense was something I could keep hidden from him so that should he try to coup de grace me in my sleep I could detect him, pretend to be asleep until he tries his attack, and then justifiably turn him into a fine paste.

Some info that might be important:
I sleep in my own tent, separate from the rest of the party.
I have 5 less points in listen than he has in move silently (both after all modifications).
I sleep in my armor (Endurance feat, picked it up to get Steadfast Determination and decided to put it to use) with my weapons in reach (also wearing my 2 spiked gauntlets).

Alright, I think that is enough info, looking forward to all the neat ideas :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2009-05-31, 09:35 PM
Get friendly with the party Wizard, and have him cast Alarm in your tent/ inn room/ wherever. If I recall, it's not a magical trap per se, so it shouldn't be disarmable.

Of course, this has it own perils if the Wizard wants you dead, too.

raptor1056
2009-05-31, 09:36 PM
You ever seen the Maltese Falcon? Toss a bunch of dry leaves-- and caltrops, for that matter-- around your bed. When he tries to sneak up, he makes a lot of noise. Not foolproof, but a decent idea.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-31, 09:38 PM
Pay a hundred gold and buy a dog trained to Guard. Dogs have Scent 30ft. They don't care what your Hide or Move Silently is, they'll smell you. Then they'll bark loudly. You automatically defeat the assassin. Congratulations.

Choco
2009-05-31, 09:41 PM
Get friendly with the party Wizard, and have him cast Alarm in your tent/ inn room/ wherever. If I recall, it's not a magical trap per se, so it shouldn't be disarmable.

Of course, this has it own perils if the Wizard wants you dead, too.

I thought about that, but if it was an audible alarm he would have enough time to get away (probably pretend he was taking a dump or somethin to explain why he was not sleeping) and if it was mental only the wizard would hear it, and it may be too late by the time he shows up with reinforcements.

Are there any magic items that can be used without the UMD feat that would let me set the alarm myself perhaps?

You ever seen the Maltese Falcon? Toss a bunch of dry leaves-- and caltrops, for that matter-- around your bed. When he tries to sneak up, he makes a lot of noise. Not foolproof, but a decent idea.

ooo, that is a nice idea. I will probably do that as an extra layer of security even if a more foolproof idea presents itself.

Pay a hundred gold and buy a dog trained to Guard. Dogs have Scent 30ft. They don't care what your Hide or Move Silently is, they'll smell you. Then they'll bark loudly. You automatically defeat the assassin. Congratulations.

That's good too, if he knew I had a dog it would be a good deterrent. In that case all I would have to worry about is him getting rid of the dog somehow.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-31, 09:45 PM
Have someone cast a Darkness spell on your body that has a duration of X Hours/level, then dismiss it in the morning. He can't use Death Attack if you have Concealment, and he can't avoid the concealment unless he can see through magical darkness.

OverdrivePrime
2009-05-31, 09:45 PM

Better yet, buy an adorable, playful puppy trained to guard. If he hurts the puppy to try to get it to shut up, he's got no hope of survival. The rest of the party will be 100% against him, and any sensible DM would give you major bonuses to carve him up, just on principle.

Alternatively, you could trade in just about everything you have to pick up a minor intelligent weapon. It never sleeps, communicates with you through empathy (DANGER! AWAKE!) and if you're able to keep it a secret, he won't even know that it might be a foil to an assassination attempt.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-31, 09:46 PM
Keep it with you, train it to only take food and water from you and feed it yourself every night. Or just take the Natural Cohort or Animal Cohort or whatever that feat is. Pick a dog. You now have a dog companion with as much HP as you have.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:50 PM
Better yet, buy an adorable, playful puppy trained to guard. If he hurts the puppy to try to get it to shut up, he's got no hope of survival. The rest of the party will be 100% against him, and any sensible DM would give you major bonuses to carve him up, just on principle.

Or make your guard dog a vicious half-particularly crazy wolf half-rottweiler half-psycho half-sadist, and then his screams of pain will wake you if the barking doesn't.

Choco
2009-05-31, 09:51 PM
Alternatively, you could trade in just about everything you have to pick up a minor intelligent weapon. It never sleeps, communicates with you through empathy (DANGER! AWAKE!) and if you're able to keep it a secret, he won't even know that it might be a foil to an assassination attempt.

Now THAT is the kind of good idea I would probably have never thought of. Would the intelligent item be able to detect the assassin without fail though? I know it doesnt do spot or listen checks for obvious reasons, so where would I look to see exactly how it detects danger?

The Mentalist
2009-05-31, 09:52 PM
Hang it on the back of the door, when said door moves it screams.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-31, 09:54 PM
Now THAT is the kind of good idea I would probably have never thought of. Would the intelligent item be able to detect the assassin without fail though? I know it doesnt do spot or listen checks for obvious reasons, so where would I look to see exactly how it detects danger?

It does, actually. Rules on intelligent items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm).

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 10:00 PM
It does, actually. Rules on intelligent items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm).

If an intelligent weapon had constantly active deathwatch (counts as a minor power), then couldn't it detect any living thing approaching? Or is that bending the rules a little too much?

OverdrivePrime
2009-05-31, 10:08 PM
Yeah, see if you can commission an intelligent dagger or some such that can cast Alarm once per day at caster level 5. The list of minor powers isn't the end-all/be-all of item powers, and it's an inoffensive spell, so a reasonable DM should be okay with it.

Froogleyboy
2009-05-31, 10:13 PM
The dog idea is ok but why don't you pick up dragon cohort (from draconomicon) . No one ****s with a dragon.

quick_comment
2009-05-31, 10:19 PM
Get a dummy about your size. Every night, dig a hole in your tent, sleep covered in the hole, and have the dummy sleep in the middle of your tent disguised to look like you.

Choco
2009-05-31, 10:19 PM
Yeah, see if you can commission an intelligent dagger or some such that can cast Alarm once per day at caster level 5. The list of minor powers isn't the end-all/be-all of item powers, and it's an inoffensive spell, so a reasonable DM should be okay with it.

That sounds almost perfect there. The quest the group just completed should net us some insane money as a reward, and the giver is a lvl 15 wizard, so perhaps I can have him craft me an intelligent ring, lawful neutral alignment, purpose being to protect the wearer. It only needs empathy and average mental stats, blindsense out to 30 feet, and the ability to cast Alarm at lvl 5 3 times per day. It would send me a mental "DANGER" message whenever anything small or larger is detected moving within it's area when I am asleep, and at any time whenever it detects something of any size that seems to be moving directly towards me. I think I could convince my DM to allow me one of those in return for the 10-20k gold I would get, and that should cover all bases.

Emy
2009-05-31, 10:20 PM
The dog idea is ok but why don't you pick up dragon cohort (from draconomicon) . No one ****s with a dragon.

Dragon Cohort requires character level 9.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-31, 10:42 PM
It only needs empathy and average mental stats, blindsense out to 30 feet, and the ability to cast Alarm at lvl 5 3 times per day.

Blindsense is prohibitively expensive at your level. +12,000gp plus whatever magic ring you're picking up. So a bare minimum of 14,000gp. An intelligent Ring of Protection +1 with continual deathwatch is 16,700gp.

quick_comment
2009-05-31, 10:54 PM
Try buying a contingent rouse from a wizard with the craft contingent spell feat. Make the conditions: When the assassin comes within 5ft of me when I am sleeping. Rouse is a cantrip that instantly wakes you up. It is in CA I think.

RangerOfFortune
2009-05-31, 11:02 PM
I sleep in my armor (Endurance feat, picked it up to get Steadfast Determination and decided to put it to use) with my weapons in reach (also wearing my 2 spiked gauntlets)

THAT'S one of the more dangerous ideas I've heard in a while...

But anyways...This is kinda lame, but is it possible to work out your differences? Talk about it? Or at least enter an agreement that precludes killing?

I might also suggest mentioning your concern to a fellow party member. "If I end up dead one morning, look no further than the Rogue."

Kosjsjach
2009-05-31, 11:25 PM
"If I end up dead one morning, look no further than the Rogue."

:smalltongue: Which is all very dandy, except by then he's already dead.
But I completely agree with the principle of what you're saying. Try to work it out. Find some common ground or something. You should be focused on killing everything else, not each other. :smallsmile:

Stormageddon
2009-05-31, 11:32 PM
Get bells tie them to the tent so that if the tent flaps move the bells sound.

Get a second tent, pretend to go to sleep in first tent than move in the night to the second tent or maybe you don't even need a second tent at all.

sleep on top of the rogue.

take the longest watch possible.

buy full shield and sleep under it.

Guancyto
2009-05-31, 11:35 PM
sleep on top of the rogue.

Whoa there!

I don't think it's necessary to work out their differences that thoroughly.

elliott20
2009-05-31, 11:43 PM
ODP, that's friggin' awesome. heh.

Better yet, you should bring a REAL puppy to the table. But train this puppy to attack his groin on command. And the moment his character hits yours, sic him!

quick_comment
2009-06-01, 12:01 AM
Get a command word item of rope trick, and sleep in your own rope trick.

Haven
2009-06-01, 12:01 AM
The assassin has stated that he has some dislike for me, and may try to kill me in the future. It would be out of character for me to kill him first (without provocation), not to mention the rest of the party might turn on me if I did that, so that option is out.

:smallconfused: Saying "Hey I might decide to murder you one day" doesn't count as provocation? I'd be pretty freaking provoked.

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-01, 08:04 AM
:smalltongue: Which is all very dandy, except by then he's already dead.

But since the assassin is the one initiating events then it only matters what the assassin stands to lose (i.e. his life) by doing so, not what he causes the barbarian to lose (i.e. his life)... unless, of course, he's willing to sacrifice his own life to take the barbarian down (which I don't think is the case).

Also, it's possible that the :smalltongue: in your post may indicate that you get all this and were just foolin'. In which case: ignore me.

Darrin
2009-06-01, 08:08 AM
Are there any magic items that can be used without the UMD feat that would let me set the alarm myself perhaps?

Stone of Alarm in the DMG, 2700 GP. You can affix it to your tent. If you want to lay more of a trap for the assassin, lay down a blanket next to your bedroll and attach the stone to the blanket.

Cloak of Shelter (A&EG, 12080 GP) is a little more expensive, but also quite nice, but the real icing on the cake is Leomund's Secure Shelter comes with a free unseen servant. You can command the unseen servant to do things such as, if the assassin enters the shelter or if someone triggers the alarm, drop this Dust of Sneezing and Choking (DMG, 2500 GP, "Cursed" item) in the room. Make sure you're wearing a Necklace of Adaptation (DMG, 9000 GP). If the Assassin makes his save, he'll still be stunned for 5d4 rounds, plenty of time for you to wake up and reduce him to a red splatter against your tent/shelter wall.

If your DM has banned or won't let you go near the Dust of Sneezing a Choking, then have the unseen servant try Incense of the Gorgon (A&EG, 6600 GP). Fort save DC 19 or turn to stone. Another option might be, find a druid or wizard who doesn't mind casting multiple fire traps on a bottle every day for a few weeks (they'll need 25 GP per casting to cover the material component costs, plus the cost of the spell). When you've got a few dozen fire traps on the bottle, tell the unseen servant to fly to 5' above the intruder and open the bottle. So long as the intruder is standing and you're laying down, he should get umpteen-whatever Xd4+X fire damage and you should be outside of the blast.

That's good too, if he knew I had a dog it would be a good deterrent. In that case all I would have to worry about is him getting rid of the dog somehow.

A dog's scent ability can be defeated too easily, such as catstink (CompAdv, 50 GP) or scentbreaker (FRCS or Tome & Blood, 5 GP). Or, yeah, just kill the dog. A bat might work, dire or otherwise... they're nocturnal to start with and blindsense trumps hide/move silently, but it can be defeated with a silence spell. Then again, you might be able to train a bat to do something when it notices its blindsense is gone. Desmodu bats (MMII) have blindsight, which is a little better, but again, it can be defeated with a silence spell.

Hmm. I'm still liking the fire trap idea, just cast it on your tent. Glyph Stone (MIC, 1000 GP or 4000 GP) would do the same thing, but you'll need to find someone to cast a suitable spell into the glyph.

Telonius
2009-06-01, 09:19 AM
What you need is a Transformer.

Leadership, Warforged Druid cohort. Doesn't actually need to sleep, but can wild shape into something that has Scent. Put him in a Bag of Holding when you're awake, so he can "sleep" and recover spells. :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-01, 09:27 AM
Buy the dog. If some "unfortunate accident" befalls the dog that's provocation right there to go ripping the assassins head off.

Also, buy/train a guard badger as back up.. something small enough to stay in the tent with you in case he gets past the dog.

J.Gellert
2009-06-01, 10:50 AM
Buy the dog. If some "unfortunate accident" befalls the dog that's provocation right there to go ripping the assassins head off.

Also, buy/train a guard badger as back up.. something small enough to stay in the tent with you in case he gets past the dog.

Exactly. Have a dog and a miniature giant space hamster - and keep the second a secret, obscured in your clothes or in a small sack. Even if he manages to get past the dog he cannot be prepared for something he doesn't know is there. Squeak!

Of course you may not want to trust your life to intelligence 1 animals... in which case you befriend the party wizard as has been said, or hire actual human guards (or dwarven defenders if you can afford them).

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-01, 11:38 AM

Leadership, Warforged Druid cohort. Doesn't actually need to sleep, but can wild shape into something that has Scent. Put him in a Bag of Holding when you're awake, so he can "sleep" and recover spells. :smallbiggrin:

That's ingenious in a twisted way <,< I like this.

Choco
2009-06-01, 12:40 PM
"working out" our differences isnt really an option, as his character is a murderous psycho who lives just to kill (the player seems to purposefully create characters that are at odds with the rest of the party, which does add some great RP so we play along..). We have been traveling together out of necessity so far, and I know once the necessity is gone anyone in the party actually would be fair game, with me likely being first. I am not even 50% sure he would actually try to kill me, I just want a safeguard in case it happens. Not to mention such safeguards are universally useful.

:smallconfused: Saying "Hey I might decide to murder you one day" doesn't count as provocation? I'd be pretty freaking provoked.

That is true, and I did think about it, though he didn't say it to me in front of the rest of the party unfortunately, cause it may have been a different story if he had :smalltongue:

Cloak of Shelter (A&EG, 12080 GP) is a little more expensive, but also quite nice, but the real icing on the cake is Leomund's Secure Shelter comes with a free unseen servant. You can command the unseen servant to do things such as, if the assassin enters the shelter or if someone triggers the alarm, drop this Dust of Sneezing and Choking (DMG, 2500 GP, "Cursed" item) in the room. Make sure you're wearing a Necklace of Adaptation (DMG, 9000 GP). If the Assassin makes his save, he'll still be stunned for 5d4 rounds, plenty of time for you to wake up and reduce him to a red splatter against your tent/shelter wall.

That could work nicely when combined with the alarm stone. I could have the servant just wake me up and then go close the door...

I am basically trying to lay a trap for him as much as I am trying to protect myself, so the idea is for me to become aware of him before he tries to kill me, which would mean I am no longer considered helpless and get the full benefits of my uncanny dodge to make me immune to his sneak/death attacks as well as coup de grace's. I would then either wait until he is right at my bedside or perhaps even until he tries to hit me, then justifiably turn him into a pink mist next round or 2 :smallbiggrin:

edit: Come to think of it, I may have to wait until he hits me anyway due to his immense hide/move silently skills. I may know he is there, but likely would not roll high enough to find him until he tries to attack. This will especially be the case once he is high enough lvl to have the Hide in Plain Sight ability

Telonius
2009-06-01, 02:36 PM
That's ingenious in a twisted way <,< I like this.

Bonus 80s points if you name him Ravage. :smallbiggrin:

Guancyto
2009-06-01, 02:42 PM
I may have to wait until he hits me anyway due to his immense hide/move silently skills. I may know he is there, but likely would not roll high enough to find him until he tries to attack. This will especially be the case once he is high enough lvl to have the Hide in Plain Sight ability[/I]

Not until he has HiPS. Without it, standing right in front of someone is an auto-fail to hide. With it, he still has to fulfill certain circumstances (depending on the version), which you can deny him in the event he tries anything. Stealth is great, but it isn't an always-on Greater Invisibility and there are lots of ways to beat it.

Waspinator
2009-06-01, 02:53 PM

Rattrap, Maximize!

Alternatively, if Dragon magazine is allowed, issue 350 has the Arcane Fence. It's a set of four stakes for 2000 gp that, when you drive them into the ground, create the effect of the Alarm spell. Each stake has to be within 20 feet of two others, so you usually get a 20 foot square. But, you can bundle together sets to attune them together and cover bigger areas. Each set basically adds 20 feet to the sides of the square you can protect. Get it up to 40 or 60 feet and you've made it unlikely that he could get to you before you've woken up from the alarm and stood up.

tiercel
2009-06-01, 06:04 PM
Well.. what is the compelling reason keeping you two in the same party?

Honestly, I don't think most any character would continue to travel with someone he thought might reasonably attempt to murder him unless the need was overwhelming, and even then I'd try to come at the overwhelming need from an angle that if at all possible wouldn't involve travelling with some lunatic who's made a credible threat against my life.

If the reason really is that compelling of a reason, then you have to try to judge whether it is equally compelling for the assassin. If it is, you are safe until you achieve (or give up on) your objective. If it isn't, then you are headed into mortal danger with someone you can't trust at your back.

I'm all for RP interplay and even intraparty disagreements, but when it rises to the level of likely PvP violence, unless that's the kind of game that you as players all are looking for it's likely to drop a bomb on your campaign. If it's a purely in-character thing, you have to be leery of the assassin picking the time to turn on you when it would be most opportune to sell out to the Big Bad, which could be devastating for your quest; if it's even partly a player issue it could make a mess of your game, not just your party of PCs.

Ashes
2009-06-01, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't a Ring of Sustenance be a cheap and easy way to be better prepared? With that, you only need to sleep for two hours a night. You could easily stagger that into 8 15-minute sequences. Kinda hard to do much then. Especially since he needs to sleep more.

Dagren
2009-06-01, 07:48 PM
That could work nicely when combined with the alarm stone. I could have the servant just wake me up and then go close the door...Shouldn't need the alarm stone. Secure Shelter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secureShelter.htm) includes an alarm effect.

lsfreak
2009-06-02, 12:14 AM
Vigilant sleep from Complete Mage. A 2/day-use item (just in case) costs a grand total of 720gp, twice that for a slotless item. You specify the conditions to which you wake up and it lasts for 12 hours after you fall asleep. Trigger it to "a creature larger than tiny is in my tent," and you immediately wake up. Doesn't help against him dropping a house on your head (or making a pincushion out of it), but should cover him getting inside your tent.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-02, 12:41 AM
Vigilant sleep from Complete Mage. A 2/day-use item (just in case) costs a grand total of 720gp, twice that for a slotless item. You specify the conditions to which you wake up and it lasts for 12 hours after you fall asleep. Trigger it to "a creature larger than tiny is in my tent," and you immediately wake up. Doesn't help against him dropping a house on your head (or making a pincushion out of it), but should cover him getting inside your tent.

There's a problem with that, though: the spell description for vigilant slumber specifically states "the condition must be something that you would normally be able to observe if you were awake", and even more specifically "you can't set the spell to wake you [...] when an invisible foe sneaks into [(whatever)]". All your "friend" has to do is turn invisible (which a 3rd-level assassin has all by himself) and be really quiet.

So it's perfect... but.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-02, 02:18 AM
The Secure Shelter thing is probably the best bet. It comes with Alarm, so your 'friend' tries to get in and it goes off. It's effectively made of Stone, so he isn't going to go in through any other way. Can't get through the chimney, although he might be able to Knock the windows (they are only Arcane Locked). Solution to that is to move one of the rude furnishings in front of the window so it blocks shots, and the alarm will still go off if he tries to get in that way.

Zergrusheddie
2009-06-02, 03:05 AM
Well if attacking him flat-out is metagaming, wouldn't preparing for the Assassin to attack you also be metagaming? Anyhoo:

A Ring of Sustenance could help quite a bit, especially if he does not know you have it. When he peaks into your tent after a few hours you went to sleep and you meet him by putting a Greataxe into his skull, he will run and/or die.

You could just not even worry about it. He deals 1d6+4d6 per hit. Sleeping in a Breastplate and a Ring of Protection +1 and an Amulet of Natural Armor +1 would give you an AC of 13 while sleeping. If he hit you with both attacks, he would deal an average of 35 damage and force a Save or Die. You'll stand up, he'll take an attack of opportunity and be in trouble when you start hitting him with your axe and shouting to the other party members that the bastard is trying to kill you. It's not the best option, but your HP should be an average of 57 so the likelihood of him killing you in a single round is slim

Another option is to just dig a 1 foot deep hole in your tent before you go to sleep. Cover it with a blanket. When he steps on it, he should make enough noise to wake you up, especially if he falls on a dagger. One more way is to tie a string to your ear to your tent flap. He wouldn't expect such a thing and the pulling on you ear would be enough to wake you up. Just tell the DM that you are preparing it like this every night and take first watch so no one else knows.

Sleep in a tree. You are a Barbarian, so the notion of sleeping in a tree should not be such a foreign thing. Let's see that Assassin climb up a tree quietly enough to catch you unprepared.

Best of luck
-Eddie

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-02, 08:16 AM
It dawned on me that armor of Heavy Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification) may be the solution to all your problems. Just make sure he's unaware of the enchantment your armor has. 100% immunity to sneak attacks and critical hits. Sure, a +1 breastplate of heavy fortification costs 36,350 gold... but it's worth every copper.

If he ever tries a death attack on you or a coup de grace while you're sleeping, you'll be awoken by an inconvenient 1d6+strength+enchantment damage, which you can easily ignore. You can then cheerfully tear him limb from limb, with the proof of his assassination attempt still sticking out of your chest. Even if your DM (unwisely) rules that heavy fortification won't stop a death attack, you should be more than tough enough to make that fort save in your sleep.

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-02, 08:28 AM
That right there is a great idea.

And it's also handy in regular combat too, so it's not like you're wasting GP solely to fend off one guy <._.>

<;_;> as a fighter, I am ashamed I did not think of this myself.

Stormthorn
2009-06-02, 09:40 AM
It dawned on me that armor of Heavy Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification) may be the solution to all your problems. Just make sure he's unaware of the enchantment your armor has. 100% immunity to sneak attacks and critical hits. Sure, a +1 breastplate of heavy fortification costs 36,350 gold... but it's worth every copper.

If he ever tries a death attack on you or a coup de grace while you're sleeping, you'll be awoken by an inconvenient 1d6+strength+enchantment damage, which you can easily ignore. You can then cheerfully tear him limb from limb, with the proof of his assassination attempt still sticking out of your chest. Even if your DM (unwisely) rules that heavy fortification won't stop a death attack, you should be more than tough enough to make that fort save in your sleep.

While your at it get it Glamoured to look like sleepwear.

woodenbandman
2009-06-02, 09:59 AM
Turn into something immune to sneak attack/critical hits. I dunno how much crit immunity would cost. Your main problem is being killed by a CDG.

I suggest the crazy idea of talking to the player out of game. Say "Hey, look, guy. I don't really have a problem with you, I was just roleplaying my character. I didn't mean to offend you personally, I was just trying to create some dynamic tension. Can we call a truce?"

Regardless of whether or not that's true, if you have that conversation in public (at least while the dm or one other player is present), he won't be able to kill you without being seen as a total douche, and at the very least suffering a character death of his own.

Choco
2009-06-02, 10:29 AM
Well if attacking him flat-out is metagaming, wouldn't preparing for the Assassin to attack you also be metagaming?

Not entirely. The reason I havent killed him yet is because in character I do not feel threatened by him at all (what could some puny small time crook with a butterknife possibly do to my herculean barbarian? thats how the char thinks anyway), yet I am intelligent enough to know the only time I am vulnerable is in my sleep.

It dawned on me that armor of Heavy Fortification may be the solution to all your problems. Just make sure he's unaware of the enchantment your armor has. 100% immunity to sneak attacks and critical hits. Sure, a +1 breastplate of heavy fortification costs 36,350 gold... but it's worth every copper.

YES!! once I get enough gold, that is what I will be going for! THANK YOU!

I am already immune to his death attacks unless I am helpless (and thus subject to a coup de grace anyway) due to me having improved uncanny dodge and death attack only working if you could sneak attack. However, being helpless was in fact my one concern, and this armor will in fact solve that problem nicely! And since I got the Endurance feat, I never even have to take it off...

Maybe a halfweight full plate of heavy fortification would be perfect here if the DM allows it...

I suggest the crazy idea of talking to the player out of game. Say "Hey, look, guy. I don't really have a problem with you, I was just roleplaying my character. I didn't mean to offend you personally, I was just trying to create some dynamic tension. Can we call a truce?"

Regardless of whether or not that's true, if you have that conversation in public (at least while the dm or one other player is present), he won't be able to kill you without being seen as a total douche, and at the very least suffering a character death of his own.

There are no issues between us out of character. We are both playing our characters and thought this would be fun. He always likes to create characters that are at odds with the party and may resort to PvP. Most of the other players do not appreciate that much, and he respects that, so I am always his target because I humor and encourage him. We both have fun with it, the rest of the party isn't in danger, the DM dont have to worry about the campaign getting destroyed, and we both know that either or both of us could be rolling up new characters on a monthly basis... I have an advantage though, as the rest of the party actually likes me enough to rez me should something happen... Same can't be said for him though :smalltongue:

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-02, 10:54 AM
YES!! once I get enough gold, that is what I will be going for! THANK YOU!
:smallsmile: Glad to be of service! Though honestly, if you're spending that much, I'd make it either a mithral breastplate or a chain shirt, just so that you can take full advantage of your sweet, sweet barbarian speed bonus. But then I'm one who likes to squeeze every last square out of my headlong charges. Obviously the chain shirt is cheaper and you lose a point of AC, but AC is rarely important to barbarians anyway.

Choco
2009-06-02, 10:56 AM
:smallsmile: Glad to be of service! Though honestly, if you're spending that much, I'd make it either a mithral breastplate or a chain shirt, just so that you can take full advantage of your sweet, sweet barbarian speed bonus. But then I'm one who likes to squeeze every last square out of my headlong charges. Obviously the chain shirt is cheaper and you lose a point of AC, but AC is rarely important to barbarians anyway.

Heh, I thought about that already, any halfweight armor counts as light armor :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-02, 11:05 AM
Pay a local temple in advance for ressurection, and a wizard to scry for you every once in a while. When he kills you, come back from the grave after him

Waspinator
2009-06-02, 02:58 PM
I think I read a setting once with a similar idea. You paid a periodic fee to this one large temple organization and they gave you an enchanted coin. If you died while holding it, they would resurrect you. They would also periodically scry on you to make sure that the coin had not been somehow bypassed. How often they would scry and how long they would take before resurrecting you would depend on how much you pay for your "insurance" fee. In a high-magic society with D&D magic, it makes sense for something like this to exist even if only the very wealthy could afford it.