PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Peace

penbed400
2009-05-31, 11:27 PM
"VOW OF PEACE [EXALTED]
You have taken a sacred vow to abstain from harming any living
creature.
Prerequisites: Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence.
Benefit: This sacred vow grants significant supernatural
benefits, but its cost is high.
First, you are constantly surrounded by a calming aura to a
radius of 20 feet. Creatures within the aura must make a successful
Will save (DC 10 + one-half your character level + your
Cha modifier) or be affected as by the calm emotions spell. Creatures
who leave the aura and reenter it receive new saving
throws. A creature that makes a successful saving throw and
remains in the aura is unaffected until it leaves the aura and
reenters. The aura is a mind-affecting, supernatural compulsion.
Second, you gain a +2 natural armor bonus to your AC, a +2
deflection bonus to your AC, and a +2 exalted bonus to your AC.
This exalted bonus does not apply to touch attacks and does not
hinder incorporeal touch attacks. Brilliant energy weapons,
however, do not ignore it. It does not stack with an armor bonus.
If you also have the Vow of Poverty feat, the natural armor,
deflection, and exalted Armor Class bonuses granted by that feat
all increase by +2. If a creature strikes you with a manufactured
weapon, the weapon must immediately make a successful Fortitude
save (DC 10 + one-half your character level + your Con
modifier) or shatter against your skin, leaving you unharmed.Finally, you gain a +4 exalted bonus on all Diplomacy checks."

What is considered a manufactured weapon? Anything that is made? Non-magical weapons? Ranged? What's your interpretation?

Doc Roc
2009-05-31, 11:28 PM
Yes.
I even count IUS.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-31, 11:29 PM
Anything that is not also a natural weapon. IE< everything but Unarmed Strikes and Natural Weapons.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-31, 11:31 PM
Manufactured Weapon is defined in the rules. Any attack roll is generally either a spell, natural weapon(bite, Claw, tail, etc), or Manufactured Weapon. There are a few exceptions, like Monk's Unarmed Strikes(which are both Natural and Manufactured), but those are few and far between.

In fact, thank you for that, I'm bringing it to my next Monk debate.

quick_comment
2009-05-31, 11:58 PM
So a monk who hits a person with vow of peace shatters his entire body?

Gorbash
2009-06-01, 12:12 AM
Not really, since Monk's unarmed strke is treated as a manufactured weapon for the purposes of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

I wouldn't consider shattering of every extremity improvement, but that's just me.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-01, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't consider shattering of every extremity improvement, but that's just me.It's a Monk. Rolling up a new character is definitely an improvement.
Not really, since Monk's unarmed strke is treated as a manufactured weapon for the purposes of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.But a lot of Monk-proponents claim that, for example, US is on the weapon table, so it is TWFable like any other light weapon. This is now the counter.

penbed400
2009-06-01, 01:07 AM
Okay well another question then, where to find the fortitude saves for weapons? I don't think the character makes his fortitude save bonus for his weapon...does he?

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-01, 01:17 AM
Okay well another question then, where to find the fortitude saves for weapons? I don't think the character makes his fortitude save bonus for his weapon...does he?

For a creature, it makes any Fort save. If the object is attended, then the owner makes the save. Unattended, non-magical items have no Fort save (or any save), while magic items have a save of 2+1/2 the caster level of the item (for all saves). Sentient magic items have a better Will save than any other.

sonofzeal
2009-06-01, 01:27 AM
Note that Vow of Peace requires Vow of Nonviolence. VoNV gives a +4 to DC for any effect that isn't violent in nature.... including VoP's shatter effect. Pretty nasty stuff!

Bugbeartrap
2009-06-01, 01:34 AM
I once played a bard who prc'd into apostle of peace. Pretty awesome stuff, both rp and mechanics wise. The barbarian didn't like that his rage drained away whenever I got close, or that they couldn't massacre the BBEG if he surrendered, but my Hold Person DC was something to be afraid of. Especially when it was stacked with an Unluck spell from my bard side.

IM@work
2009-06-01, 02:08 AM
The biggest deal with Vow of Peace is the emotions aura. With the constant calmness eminating from you the question we should be asking is how did we get any weapon(s) in range to hit?
I've seen a Vow of peace/non-violence/poverty character played for one session before. Pretty much all she did was run in and shouted for everyone to stop fighting, which some did. Eventually one of the PC's got pissed at the overdramatic peace-child and killed her.

sonofzeal
2009-06-01, 02:31 AM
The biggest deal with Vow of Peace is the emotions aura. With the constant calmness eminating from you the question we should be asking is how did we get any weapon(s) in range to hit?
I've seen a Vow of peace/non-violence/poverty character played for one session before. Pretty much all she did was run in and shouted for everyone to stop fighting, which some did. Eventually one of the PC's got pissed at the overdramatic peace-child and killed her.
I played one for a few months, and it actually worked pretty well. I mean, the problem is when you let that one caracturization define how you roleplay, same as Paladins who smite their party rogues or rogues who pickpocket dignitaries for loose change or barbarians who make George of the Jungle look like Braniac 5. Important things to remember for Vow of Peace...

1) You're not obligated to stop the violence of others in any way. There's a (minor) penalty that allies take in certain extreme situations, such as executing surrendered or incapacitated enemies, but that's their business and doesn't even come up that often. In most games I've been in, enemies who hit 0 are treated like they're dead anyway.

2) You're only banned from lethal damage, death effects, and ability point damage. You can still do: nonlethal damage, battlefield control (including providing flanking), diplomancing, buffs, debuffs, healing, charms, compulsions, Save or Lose effects, and utility effects.

3) You're in a party with other people who presumably do not share your radical pacifistic stance. This means that your character has chosen to be with these people, with full knowledge that most or all of them routinely use violence to solve problems. Find a motive for your character to be with them, preferably one that doesn't involve converting them, and make that motive stronger than your character's distaste for the violence committed.

Godna
2009-06-01, 04:16 AM
Or throw it to the wind I made a character that acted a an extremely violent pacifist that would cripple you MOST heinously for disturbing the local peace. He constantly spoke like hulk hogan. By RAW it worked and the DM thought it would be funny

P.S Arrows are an unattended and thus dont get a saving throw

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm
Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

So effective immunity to arrows at low levels

For the record the character was a human Mineral Warrior Barbarian with Vow of Peace modeled after Hulk Hogan. taking that one feat that lets you get a monks increasing unarmed attack bonus at level 2 (He allowed Flaws so i took 2) So he could walk into a sword fight and let them break on his Rock hard Abs before starting the crippling.

Person_Man
2009-06-01, 09:28 AM
Vow of Peace Knight is actually quite interesting and hilarious to play. "Please, don't hit anyone. (Roll for Diplomacy.) OK, you're hitting us. I demand you hit me! (Roll for Test of Mettle, and if they fail their Saves, they have to attack you). Ha ha, your weapons break against me! You should run away. (Roll for Intimidate/Demoralize).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-01, 02:32 PM
2) You're only banned from lethal damage, death effects, and ability point damage. You can still do: nonlethal damage, battlefield control (including providing flanking), diplomancing, buffs, debuffs, healing, charms, compulsions, Save or Lose effects, and utility effects.Or, and this is important, from incapacitating enemies so your allies can kill them. That means that, by strict interpretation, BC, SoL, Flanking, and similar stuff still breaks your vow if the party kills the enemy. It's a feat that benefits you and hinders the party, which is never a good idea.

woodenbandman
2009-06-01, 02:36 PM
^Not true. If the party all has Merciful weapons, or if they all carry a sap, it's all nbd.

arguskos
2009-06-01, 02:36 PM
Or, and this is important, from incapacitating enemies so your allies can kill them. That means that, by strict interpretation, BC, SoL, Flanking, and similar stuff still breaks your vow if the party kills the enemy. It's a feat that benefits you and hinders the party, which is never a good idea.
No, it's not "never" a good idea, it can be very fun and interesting, but ONLY when the players, as a gaming group, decide together that it would be a fun thing to try out.

Now, if someone just shows up with a Vow of Poverty+Vow of Peace Monk and starts demanding everyone do as he says... then he's a moron and should be asked to stop that. :smalltongue:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-01, 02:41 PM
Exalted characters will always have problems in non-Exalted parties. In an Exalted party, Vow of Peace can work just fine. It's just that the DM needs to know what kind of group this is, and to accommodate it; use undead or evil outsiders, humanoid enemies who can be turned in to some authority, rehabilitated, mollified, or defeated and bypassed...

Optimystik
2009-06-01, 03:37 PM
It's a Monk. Rolling up a new character is definitely an improvement.

http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

No, it's not "never" a good idea, it can be very fun and interesting, but ONLY when the players, as a gaming group, decide together that it would be a fun thing to try out.

Now, if someone just shows up with a Vow of Poverty+Vow of Peace Monk and starts demanding everyone do as he says... then he's a moron and should be asked to stop that. :smalltongue:

Or better yet, he should be left behind at the inn with a huge tab. He has no money to pay it and can't fight his way out, so he's stuck washing dishes for the next dozen moonturns.

RangerOfFortune
2009-06-01, 05:47 PM
2) You're only banned from lethal damage, death effects, and ability point damage. You can still do: nonlethal damage, battlefield control (including providing flanking), diplomancing, buffs, debuffs, healing, charms, compulsions, Save or Lose effects, and utility effects.

"It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the subject of... kneecaps." :smallwink:

arguskos
2009-06-01, 06:02 PM
Or better yet, he should be left behind at the inn with a huge tab. He has no money to pay it and can't fight his way out, so he's stuck washing dishes for the next dozen moonturns.
You have an appropriately evil sense of humor good sir. Any chance you are in the Dallas, TX area and want a new player/group? :smallwink:

Glyde
2009-06-01, 07:20 PM
"It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the subject of... kneecaps." :smallwink:

I love you.

chiasaur11
2009-06-01, 07:46 PM
I love you.

Ah, Firefly.

It's the geek mating call.

I mean, heck, Hoban Washburn's death is the geek equivalent of Bambi's mother.