PDA

View Full Version : Mace of Detect Undead

Bobo
2009-06-01, 05:22 AM
On my 11th level cleric, I got a mace with a spell storing enchantment, which I thought i'd use to hit people with to cast Hold Person or something harmful like that. Recently my cleric has starting casting spells to do damage instead, although I still have my mace. Even more recently I got the idea to cast Cure Serious Wounds into the mace, then strike NPC's when they least expect it. If they're alive, then the healing will mitigate whatever puny damage I could deal them with an ordinary mace. However, if they;re undead, i'll be the first to know.

Basically, my question is, would it be out of character for a cleric/radiant servant of Pelor to strike people they suspect of being undead with a mace? If not, would the fact that the cleric had been fooled by a vampire that had cast Disguise Self in the past help?

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 05:28 AM
Yeah, because people wouldn't attack you after you attack them even if you heal the dmg you cause.
And a simple detect undead spell would be to hard to cast?

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-01, 06:17 AM
This sounds like typical munchkin-style insanity. Don't.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-01, 06:21 AM
PROTIP: The mace can still kill said NPC; if the initial hit with the mace knocks him/her to -10, a Cure Serious isn't going to fix it.

So yeah, detect undead, or if you're so desperate to hit an NPC with a Cure Serious, just cast it prior to meeting the NPC, and hold the charge until you get a chance to touch him/her.

gibbo88
2009-06-01, 06:23 AM
Yeah.....just go with the spell for detect undead. Any DM I know would have the guards around VERY quickly to distribute your wealth for assault.

Narmoth
2009-06-01, 07:21 AM
Now that I think of it, wouldn't a cure spell harm undead without being applied through a mace?
Can't you just touch the person?

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-01, 07:25 AM
Can't you just touch the person?That's what I was saying.

pingcode20
2009-06-01, 07:34 AM
Damn, and here I was thinking you were talking about making a sort of 'Sting' type mace - enchant it with continuous detect undead, so it indicates (glows, maybe) when undead are nearby.

And then concentration to actually zero in on who in particular is undead.

Zaq
2009-06-01, 12:45 PM
There's actually an item (related to Pelor, no less!) in the Magic Item Compendium that works in a very similar manner to the "smack with cure" idea you mentioned, namely, the Inquisitor Bracers. You hit someone with a weapon (it has to be a hit, not a touch attack), and the bracers automatically fire off a CMW on them. The idea is that if they're innocent, they'll be healed, and if they're an undead in disguise, they'll be harmed.

Doesn't seem very, you know, neutral good to me, though. Lawful neutral probably. (Why couldn't you just buy a wand of CLW and heal everyone instead of beating them up with the promise that they'll be healed afterward?)

RTGoodman
2009-06-01, 01:01 PM
Doesn't seem very, you know, neutral good to me, though.

There's a reason for that (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=846926).

Fhaolan
2009-06-01, 01:12 PM
Me, I would just use a normal, unenchanted mace. You hit every corpse you see with it, and if the corpse gets up and hits you back; Congratulations, you've detected undead with your mace.

:smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-01, 02:22 PM
Lawful neutral probably.
Only if you're conducting an inquisition on behalf of a duly constituted authority. Just going and hitting-then-healing people on your own behalf seems more CN. Maybe CE, since there's an obvious risk of starting an unnecessary fight

Anyway, this is definitely both out of character and just plain dumb for a cleric of Pelor, given that there are simpler means of detecting undead. There's the, y'know, Detect Undead spell, for one thing. As mentioned, there's just casting a healing spell on someone. I'm sure there are others. Anyway, a Good cleric would avoid doing something in a needlessly violent fashion, even if it causes no permanent damage.

hamishspence
2009-06-01, 02:25 PM
Fiercebane property (DMG2) . Can only be added to Bane weapons. Causes weapon to glow when within a certain range of the creature the weapon is a Bane against.

Iliad
2009-06-02, 10:08 PM
Can you hear the joke whoosh above everyone :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-02, 10:55 PM
I normally expect jokes to be funny.

When it's hard to imagine why someone would say something sarcastically, people will tend to assume that it's being said seriously. It's unclear what would be amusing about this.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-02, 10:56 PM
Fiercebane property (DMG2) . Can only be added to Bane weapons. Causes weapon to glow when within a certain range of the creature the weapon is a Bane against.
That ... would do the job of Sting fairly well, wouldn't it? Hmm... still doesn't give you direction or distance, mind, but it's very difficult to block the detection, as you'll always have a type. A dagger of each type would be crazy-expensive (is that 18,302 gp each, or 32,302 gp each?), but would give you a very good indicator of what you were fighting, and a virtually foolproof method of finding out what's nearby (you've still got the problem of creatures with your matching bane, mind...).