PDA

View Full Version : Domains...

Maryring
2006-05-16, 05:16 PM
I know there already exists a purification domain, but to me it seemed more like a "kill enemies" domain than a domain with it's main focus on Purity. So here is MY Purity domain.

Purity Domain.

Granted Power: +2 on saves against charms, compulsions, poisons and diseases.

1: Purify food and drink
2: Remove addiction*
3: Remove disease
4: Neutralize poison
5: Vanishing Weapon*
6: Starmantle*
7: Rain of Roses*
8: Sunburst
9: Freedom

Is that over or underpowered for a domain? I know that the later spells can be quite strong, but the earlier spells are... not very good. Except maybe neutralize poison. What do you think?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-05-16, 05:18 PM
The spells with asterisks are from Book of Exalted Deeds, right?

Maryring
2006-05-16, 05:19 PM
We have a winner. Here. Cookie for you. ;)

Hallavast
2006-05-16, 08:06 PM
But now what will my "death to heretics!" witch hunter choose for his domains?!

Oh! the humanity!

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-05-16, 08:13 PM
Inquisition, for one.

Incidentally, I love how there's a Watery Death domain that exists for one prestige class.

"So, what are your domains?"
"Water... Death... and, um, Watery Death. I'm... I'm big on the killing people... with water... don't judge me!"

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-05-17, 08:48 AM
Nice work as always, Ms Maryring!!

Does anyone know anywhere I can get those BoED spells described without buying the BoED?

Inquisition, for one.

Incidentally, I love how there's a Watery Death domain that exists for one prestige class.

"So, what are your domains?"
"Water... Death... and, um, Watery Death. I'm... I'm big on the killing people... with water... don't judge me!"

Pfft!

BTW, where is this "Inquisition" domain? I must have that for my campaign...

TheThan
2006-05-17, 11:25 AM
I think the Inquisition Domain is in complete Divine... can't look it up since its at a freinds' house

Maryring
2006-05-17, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing the inquisition domain in Complete Divine. Though I don't remember it's quality. At least I think it was more inquisitive than the purification domain was pure.

And you can find the spells in your PM box Altair. Just wait a few minutes.

TheThan
2006-05-17, 12:36 PM
Since we’re talking about Domains, I have one I need a small bit of help with… basically I need a good idea for a granted power. I would appreciate it if anyone had any. Here’s what I have for the Domain so far.

Hate domain

Granted power
???
Domain spells

1 Doom
2 undetectable alignment
3 bestow curse
4 Divine power
5 symbol of pain
6 harm
7 Destruction
8 symbol of death
9 Soul bind

Maryring
2006-05-17, 12:44 PM
Hmm. Well, the domain seems okay. If you replace one of the spells with "red water" from the playground, I think it would fit the flavour better. But okay... ability. Either smite, or inspire rage once each day. Yeah, inspire rage sounds perfect. Technically, you get the "Emotion: Rage" spell as a spelllike ability once each day. But that is quite powerful, so the spells might have to be weakened a little.

Grey Watcher
2006-05-17, 01:42 PM
Since we’re talking about Domains, I have one I need a small bit of help with… basically I need a good idea for a granted power....

One or more Favored Enemies (a la Rangers) might be a good idea. After all, what's hatred without something to hate?

TheThan
2006-05-17, 01:43 PM
I like the spell you mentioned. In fact I’m going to use it and replace undetectable alignment with something.

I was thinking of giving them the Barbarian’s rage ability 1/day.
I thought of giving them Rage as a domain spell but then I realized that it’s a level three spell, which is the same as the Red water spell you made. But I could let them cast it 1/day as their granted power. What do you think?

Maryring
2006-05-17, 02:32 PM
Once per day or a favoured enemy, depending on what flavour you want. If it is an instant of seething overpowering hatred, give them rage 1/day. If it is persistant, overflowing but controlled hatred, give them a favoured enemy. So in the end I think it depends on the flavour. Both seems to be about even in power and usefulness, so it depends on your preference really.

TheThan
2006-05-17, 02:46 PM
I think I’ll go for the rage, it fits the flavor I’m looking for. Oh and thanks for the help.

DMgrinder
2006-05-17, 07:23 PM
I have a domain issue.

In a homebrew campaign I'm cooking up right now, I have a few gods that I can't think of domains for.

1 how many domaishould be available for a deitys followers?

2 The god Is the Goddess of the sea, Maelstrom. She is big on the ocean (duh) and the setting sun. She is cruel and wrathful, but has a cute playful side too.

Any help?

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-05-17, 07:28 PM
Number of domains varies. "Several" is a good answer. Anywhere between two and, oh, five or six as a guideline.

Domains: Water, Storm or Weather (forget which one exists), Chaos (if she's Chaotic, which it sounds like).

The_Snark
2006-05-17, 07:39 PM
Water, Weather, Chaos are all good. You could also include the Wrath domain from Complete Divine.

And as for domains- Deities usually have three or four. Obad-Hai has more, I think, but that's just because he gets the various elemental domains. Powerful gods might have five or six domains, demigod might only have two. It's really up to you.

CatCameBack
2006-05-17, 08:24 PM
I think I’ll go for the rage, it fits the flavor I’m looking for. Oh and thanks for the help.

Except that the cleric in question can't cast those nifty domain spells while he's raging. Also I balk at the idea of copying other class features (like rage or preferred enemies.

How about a flat +(level) bonus to damage once per day (lasts one round)? Similar to the strength domain, but applies to all damage dealt that round (via spell or whatever).

Or perhaps a +4 versus mind controlling effects that cause the cleric to stop fighting (like part of the rage ability, but at double strength)?

TheThan
2006-05-17, 08:24 PM
well if this godess is playful than trickery might fit the bill.

smartdumkid
2006-05-18, 12:49 PM
How about the Logic Ninja's Watery Death Domain for her? Maybe Water, Weather, Trickery, Hate and Darkness/Sun for the setting sun aspect??

Telonius
2006-05-18, 03:27 PM
I would say how many domains each god has depends on how many gods are in your pantheon. If you only have, say, 2 or 3 gods, you'll probably want 7 or so domains per god.

If you have a monotheistic homebrew, you might take the route a friend of mine used. He was trying to design a Middle Ages campaign based on real world religions and politics. (Kind of an alternate reality, where magic was real and the Roman Empire didn't fall). Clerics from the European area would be dedicated to a patron saint (one or two domains each) and get their domain spells that way.

Signmaker
2006-05-18, 08:35 PM
I have a domain issue.

In a homebrew campaign I'm cooking up right now, I have a few gods that I can't think of domains for.

1 how many domaishould be available for a deitys followers?

2 The god Is the Goddess of the sea, Maelstrom. She is big on the ocean (duh) and the setting sun. She is cruel and wrathful, but has a cute playful side too.

Any help?

I'm guessing Music(I don't know if one exists for it yet), Water, and Sky(From Races of the Wild).

AintThatASeamus
2006-05-18, 09:04 PM
Since we’re talking about Domains, I have one I need a small bit of help with… basically I need a good idea for a granted power. I would appreciate it if anyone had any. Here’s what I have for the Domain so far.

Hate domain

The Forgotten Realms campaign setting has a Hatred domain that once a day gives bonuses to attacks, saves, and AC against a single specified opponent. Not as powerful as rage, but it's a little more focused on a specific hated target than just blind fury.

TheThan
2006-05-20, 02:06 PM
Ok I’m working on my homebrewed campaign setting and I have hit another little snag. I have created a true neutral god of death, and I want to give him a total of 4 domains, 2 good aligned domains and 2 evil aligned domains.

I have the death and pestilence domains for his two evil domains and I have repose for one of his good aligned domains but I can’t seem to come up with anything for his last domain. Does anyone have any ideas what would fit?

Maryring
2006-05-20, 02:23 PM
The renewal domain perhaps? I'd say that is linked to death.

TheThan
2006-05-20, 04:21 PM
Well renewal would work but I already have a god with that as a domain. I’m trying not to overlap domains. I suppose I can give my death god Renewal and find something else for my healing god. Oh wait I found something that is fits for my healing god… thanks for the help.

TheThan
2006-05-21, 01:11 AM
Ok sorry for the double post. I’ve decided that there should be a domain for bards and other music lovers, Since I couldn’t find one in my sourcebooks I’ve decided to make one so tell me what you think:

Song domain
Granted power:
You can cast comprehend language a number of times per day equal to your wisdom modifier.
Perform is also a class skill

Domain spells

1 Command
2 sound burst
3 suggestion
4 sound lance *
5 Commune
6 word of recall
7 word of chaos
8 Lion's roar*
9 wail of the banshee

* I found these in the spell compendium, I don’t know if that’s the original source for the spell or not.
Also I’m not sure which one I like for the fourth level divine spell.

Maryring
2006-05-21, 04:36 AM
Wait, a bard domain that has dictum? Only the law domain has dictum, because it is a pure law spell. And Bards can't be lawful (strangely enough). Other than that, it seems good. I'd go for sound lance as a 4th level spell, and perhaps I'll invent a 7th level spell for you. Do you want me to do so?