PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Review of my Solo Otyugh

Tough_Tonka
2009-06-01, 12:24 PM
I'm making a boss fight for my first level party so I made a level 3 solo version of the Otyugh with a few modifications. So I wanted to see what folks think about my creation. Any advice or criticism would be appreciated.

Injured Feral Otyugh
Large natural beast Level 3 Soldier Solo
XP 750
Initiative +# Senses Perception +#; special senses
Otyugh Stench (Keyword) aura 1; living enemies in the aura take a -2 penalty to attack rolls
HP 180; Bloodied 90
Saving Throw +5
AC 20; Fortitude 19, Reflex 15, Will #16
Speed 5, swim 5
Action Points 2
[type] Tentacle Flurry (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
Close Burst 3; +7 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage. Miss 3 damage
Diseased Bite (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
+8 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage and target contracts filth fever
Noxious Burst (minor; recharge 4, 5, 6)
The Otyugh Stench aura becomes an aura 5 until the end of the Otyugh’s next turn
Alignment _ Languages _
Skills Stealth +5 (+15 while using spying eye)
Str 18 (+5) Dex 10 (+0) Wis 13 (+2)
Con 15 (+3) Int 1 (-4) Cha 5 (+2)

Note:
I know I forgot to type the Otyughs Spying Eye feature

Yakk
2009-06-01, 02:01 PM
Otyugh Stench (Keyword) aura 1; living enemies in the aura take a -2 penalty to attack rolls
It is a solo Otyugh: make this larger (in radius).

Wait -- you did with the burst thing. Good! I'd be tempted to throw in a dazed effect to the burst.

HP 180; Bloodied 90
I forgot my math -- did you use the new, or the old, solo monster building guildlines?

[type] Tentacle Flurry (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
Close Burst 3; +7 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage. Miss 3 damage
type should be [M]. Non-basic I assume.

Diseased Bite (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
The problem is that the Flurry is far more efficient than the Bite. I mean, 8.5 on a hit vs 1 target, or 6.5 on a hit and 3 on a miss vs every target in burst 3? No contest!

Second, if you are doing a solo by the new rules, it should get a "boss mode power upgrade" at bloodied.

Third, your monster doesn't ... do much. It is just a bag of HP and a minor debuff. It isn't even very soldier-esque (ie, it prevents a single target from getting away).

I'd do something like this:
It has 3 tentacles. Each of these tentacles have a HP pool. They reach out and grab people, and then drag them to the Otyugh's mouth.

Maybe the Otyugh uses them to move around -- it is injured. Maybe the damage is to it's legs.

So as a move action, it reaches out and pulls itself along. Or, it reaches out, grabs someone, and moves 2 towards it while pulling it 2 towards the Otyugh and grabbing the target.

Each round thereafeter it moves 1 towards the target and pulls it 1 towards the Otyugh, and grabs at another player. When it reaches the Otyugh, it chomps the player.

Players can attack the tentacles in order to break free. If you do more than X damage, the tentacle lets go and frees the otherwise doomed PC.

Maybe make it larger than your typical Otyugh, and have it swallow PCs. Swallowed PCs are dazed from the stench, but can attack the armored stomach of the Otyugh. After they do Y damage, they are ... spit ... out.

Gralamin
2009-06-02, 12:48 AM
Second, if you are doing a solo by the new rules

New rules? Where?

Shades of Gray
2009-06-02, 12:53 AM
MM2 I'm guessing.

Gralamin
2009-06-02, 03:08 AM
MM2 I'm guessing.

Have it, and don't see any spelt out in there. They might of changed the math and I just haven't noticed.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-02, 04:14 AM
Nope, monster creation, as opposed to pre-built monsters, is in the DMG. Since DMG2 isn't out yet, presumably there was some errata to the original DMG.

*wanders off to check errata*

Only thing I could spot was a clarification on HP total when creating elites. But, having run the numbers myself, it should have 188 HP, Bloodied at 94.

Tough_Tonka
2009-06-02, 09:25 AM
I've noticed that most solo creatures last too many rounds and start to get a little boring so I shaved of a few hit points with this creature. Thanks for the advice so far.

Tough_Tonka
2009-06-02, 11:03 AM
Here's my second design

Injured Feral Otyugh
Large natural beast Level 3 Soldier Solo
XP 750
Initiative +# Senses Perception +#; special senses
HP 180; Bloodied 90
Saving Throw +5
AC 20; Fortitude 19, Reflex 15, Will #16
Speed 5, swim 5
Action Points 2

[Melee] Grasping Tentacle (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
Reach 3; +7 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage and target is pulled 2 squares.
[Melee]Diseased Bite (standard; at-will) ✦Keywords
[Ranged]Noxious Eruption (minor; recharge 5, 6)
Range 10, burst 1; 4 +5 vs. Fort; target is stunned until the end of the otyugh’s next turn; non-living creatures are immune.
[Melee]Raving Tentacles (free, when first bloodied; encounter)
Close Burst 3; +6 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage; Miss: target takes 3 damage.
Spying Eye
An otyugh can hide beneath murky water or refuse, leaving only its eyestalk exposed. While doing so, it gains a +10 bonus to Stealth checks but is immobilized.
Alignment _ Languages _
Skills Stealth +5 (+15 while using spying eye)
Str 18 (+5) Dex 10 (+0) Wis 13 (+2)
Con 15 (+3) Int 1 (-4) Cha 5 (+2)

Yakk
2009-06-02, 11:43 AM
It was posted on the web, IIRC. They reduced the HP multiplier to 4x (which has no impact on heroic monsters, actually), and said that they should ramp-up their damage output by about 50% once bloodied (to create a pacing change).

---

The creature's damage output should be about 3 times that of a standard level 3 soldier per-round, and hit 4.5 times a standard level 3 soldier after being bloodied.

Otherwise, the damage output from the creature is so low, it becomes a punching-bag fest of boredom.

As written, the creature does about the same damage per-round as a level 3 soldier, plus it has action points and one AOE attack.

AOE attacks are good -- you don't want to concentrate damage that much.

I'd have an action that gives it a bite and a tentacle attack (or two) as a standard action on distinct targets.

Hmm. Three tentacle attacks on distinct targets, then a bite attack?

The tentacles should remotely grab the target -- say reach 4? The grab can be broken by doing 20 damage to the tentacle (only half damage is passed on to the Otyugh's main pool from such targetted attacks), or by the usual methods. This also gives you a round to try to escape before it pulls you into the gaping maw.

Grabbed tentacle targets are attacked vs Fort instead of AC, and pulled even if the attack misses.

Mando Knight
2009-06-02, 12:45 PM
Try bolding important keywords, like the power names and initiative modifier. That will make the statblock easier to read.