PDA

View Full Version : Dexter as a PrC

Samb
2009-06-01, 01:53 PM
I posted this on the PrC contest and would really like a PEACH on it. I know not everyone participates in this event so I'm hoping to hit a wider audience. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

THE HEARTLESS

http://www.tvscoop.tv/dex2.jpg

I didn't set out to save lives, but save lives I did. Dreter, the Bay harbor butcher

No one knows just how a heartless (often called serial killer) comes to the monstrosity that they are but one thing is certain: they are completely empty of anything that resembles a soul. These hollowed out beings feel no emotions whatsoever, they do not love those close to them, they have no hatred or resentment towards their rivals, and most of all they feel no empathy or compassion. They yearn for a normal life, and emotions to call their own by faking everything in their life. At one point or another they realize that they only feel alive when they are dealing death to their selected victims.

Many of the heartless enter law enforcement to try are calm their "dark passenger" only to be disappointed that the law prevents them from savoring the kill. They use their station to gather information on criminals that no one would miss (often other killers), stalk them and collect evidence (often illicitly), and kidnap them and kill them in a ritualistic fashion that is their calling card.

A serial killers true skill is the ability to gather information and look completely harmless. When they are finally expose (if ever) most people would never suspect that the unassuming inquisitor was a serial killer.

BECOMING A HEARTLESS
The Heartless are people who effectively fallen from the rest of their species. They have no formal organization but it is theorized that extreme psychological trauma at a young age is critical for fracturing a person so completely. All Heartless plainly state that they kill simply to kill and not to "bring justice to the world". For them the victim population is just part of the ritual and convenient since no one would miss them.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Attributes: CHR 16, INT 14
Alignment: any evil
Feats: Deceitful, Investigate (from Eberron campaign settings)
Skills: Disguise 5 ranks, Gather information 5 ranks, Bluff 5 ranks

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (CHR), Diplomacy (CHR), Forgery (INT), Escape artist (DEX), Hide (DEX), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (DEX), Profession (Wis), Open lock (DEX), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex), Use magical/psionic device (CHR)
Skills Points at Each Level: 8 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Dark Passenger, Facade of normalcy

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Favored enemy (mortal) +1, Bonus feat: Investigator

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Sneak attack +1d6, Knockout poison, Bonus feat: Persuasive

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Greater Facade

5th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+4|Untraceable, Favored enemy (mortal) +2

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+4|Sneak attack +2d6, Bonus feat: Nimble fingers

7th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+5|Perfect Facade, Bonus feat: Track

8th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+5|Hide in Plain Sight (Su), Favored enemy (mortal) +3

9th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+6|Sneak Attack +3d6, Bonus feat: Negotiator

10th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+6|Complete void[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Heartless are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. The Heartless are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Dark passenger: The Heartless describe themselves as having a dark entity that compels them ritualistically kill one living being of their selected population. Some take prostitutes, others pedophiles, and others take other killers. A Heartless must kill at least one of the selected victims per month (30 days) or they lose their class features with the exception of knockout poison and facade of normalcy. If more than 47 days elapse before s/he has killed another victim, s/he takes a -2 on WIS and CHR. For every additional 7 days pass without a kill s/he loses another -2 WIS and CHR. All WIS and CHR are restored once he has finally killed a selected victim.

The killing rituals often involve a "kill room" that lowers the chance of the Heartless from leaving evidence and a taking of a souvenir, but from there each serial killer has his own rituals that s/he savors.

Facade of normalcy (Ex): Serial killers are surprisingly charming having effectively become a "emotion robot". They know just what to say and how to act even when they really feel nothing. They gain a +2 bonus on all skill check that are CHR based.

Favored enemy: Like the ranger (and mortal slayer) ability but the Heartless must select mortals for this ability. The Heartless gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, s/he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. This increases at 5th and 8th levels respectively.

Sneak attack: Just like the rogue's sneak attack and stacks with sneak attack damage from other sources.

Bonus feats:Over the course of always analyzing emotional reactions and evidence, a Heartless gets better at both roles and receives feats that help him blend in and become a better detective.

Knockout poison: This is the favored means of transporting a mark to the kill room. When a Heartless attacks with a sneak attack or out of hiding he can attempt to use this signature poison to render his opponent helpless. The Heartless must first observe his mark at least 30 minutes in total before he can use this attack. The target must succeed a Fort save with a DC=10 + Heartless levels + Character levels + CHR modifier.

Greater Facade (Su): A serial killer that has reached 4th level has become so adept at controlling his affect he can now take 10 on all disguise and bluff checks. In addition, he also gains +4 to all CHR based skill checks.

Untraceable (Ex): The Heartless is now so good at covering his tracks that he leaves almost no trace of his crimes. Any attempt to investigate, search or gather information on his victims suffer a -10 penalty with an additional -5 for every year that passed since the kill.

Perfect facade (Su): The Heartless can now detect when others suspect him. They now gain +8 on saves to resist any spells or powers that read thoughts (ie read thoughts, mind probe) or detect alignment as well as remote viewing. Even if they fail to resist (or deliberately fail) they can still project reassuring thoughts/emotions and images that raise little suspicion. They also gain +6 on all CHR based skill checks.

Hide in plain sight (Su):At 8th level, a serial killer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a serial killer can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

Complete Void (Su): A Heartless is now basically uncatchable. He has internalized his facade to such a degree that even magical and psionic means cannot discern his true nature. He is immune to all remote detection, read thoughts or alignment detection (he can still use perfect facade to project images to dodge guilt). All his crimes are completely devoid of evidence and anyone investigating the crimes take a -20 with a cumulative penalty of -5 per year since the kill was commited . He can now assume any alignment at will that makes him immune to the effects of spells that affect alignment like smite evil and protection from evil.

Pie Guy
2009-06-01, 02:36 PM
Very nice, and I'm glad you decided to stay away from the third book.

Not that many serial killers went into law enforcement in the books, it was just a convenient way to find Dexter more victims.

Otherwise, nice class, more useful for NPCs than players.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-01, 02:55 PM
Content aside, your entry requirements need to be adjusted. First of all, specific ability scores as entry requirements is bad form. A player should not need to roll well or use point buy to be able to enter a particular PrC; decisions made after character generation should be all that's needed.

Second, the other requirements are too low. The feats are probably fine, but the skills need to be higher. With these prerequisites, a character could enter this PrC as low as 2nd level. Prestige classes should not be available until at least fifth level (hence the name "prestige class"). Therefore, I'd recommend raising the skills to 8 ranks each for Gather Info & Bluff. You could drop Disguise, if you want; it doesn't really contribute in any crucial way that isn't covered by Bluff.

Also, your save progressions are non-standard, & I'm not sure what scheme they are following. Standard progressions are either Strong Save (HD/2 + 2) or Weak Save (HD/3). Some people try to implement a Moderate Save (HD * 0.4 + 1), but WotC never used that in their publications. In any case, you obvious would round any fractions down.

Other than that, the flavor is great, & the theme is cool. I haven't read much further, but that's my two cents. Good luck.

Stormthorn
2009-06-01, 10:27 PM
I personaly think psychopathy and sociopathy should be templates, not classes, but this is pretty cool.

Lappy9000
2009-06-01, 11:05 PM
Dangit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CybozuChzNw).

Aside from my hopes and dreams forever being crushed, you definitely need to fix those entry requirements (particularly the Ability Scores) and bump up the skill requirements.

Eberron feats are probably fine, although it may limit the ability of people to access the class. However, I doubt it matters, since this class would totally fit into Eberron, almost perfectly. Antithesis of an Inquisitor anyone?

Good job, looks solid.

Samb
2009-06-02, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the awesome feedback
I was thinking that serial killers were born not raised hence the high entry stats, but it does make it hard to get into. I'll change them once I get a chance.

I was making this for Eberron, and it was supposed to be a foil to the master inquisitor. I'm also glad that no one felt the facade class features were too powerful, I was worried about that the most. The poison required 30 minutes to use making it imparctial to use in combat. Thanks eveyone!
PS
Given that you have to be evil to enter this class I would say this is better for NPCs but the facades let you play a PC if you so desire.