PDA

View Full Version : Trip barbarian? [3rd]

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-01, 04:01 PM
Does this actually work? The major advantage of The barbarian tripper is the rage for extra str but...

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite

Since combat expertise is a pre req for imp trip, does that mean that imp trip won't work while raging?

The_Werebear
2009-06-01, 04:03 PM
Two points

1) He has the combat expertise feat, he simply can't use it at the moment.

2) Many Barbarian Trippers go through the Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantcharacterclasses.htm) Varient

Edit for Clarity and Link

Ernir
2009-06-01, 04:07 PM
Another: Even if the RAW said so (which I don't think it does), I think it would be a pretty brutal DM who would rule that you can't use Improved Trip in a rage.

As The_Werebear said, Improved Trip is a class feature for Wolf Totem Barbarians. And those do not even get Combat Expertise, so they can clearly trip without it.

RTGoodman
2009-06-01, 04:37 PM
I think the RAW is pretty clear anyway - he can use ANY FEAT HE HAS, which would include Improved Trip. And like Werebear says, he still HAS Combat Expertise while raging, he just can't use its specific ability.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-01, 10:50 PM
Yeah, an important point is that you can't use CE, you don't lose or lose access to it. In one of those cases, you would lose Imp Trip as well, except through Wolf Totem or similar.

Harperfan7
2009-06-02, 02:00 AM
Use a scythe.

Person_Man
2009-06-02, 09:55 AM
I've never known a DM who wouldn't allow a Barbarian to use Improved Trip. Even if he did, you could get around it using the Wolf Totem Barbarian or a Ritiik from Frostburn (Exotic Weapon, enemy must make a Reflex Save or you get a free Trip attempt).

Goatman_Ted
2009-06-02, 10:02 AM
And there's always Unapproachable East's Wolf Berserker feat:
a flat +4 to Trips and qualification to Improved Trip without Expertise.