PDA

View Full Version : Cloudkill movement (3.5)

FinalJustice
2009-06-02, 02:19 AM
Has anyone else got annoyed with Cloudkill moving away from the caster. I can't seem to find a practical way to trap my Cloudkill in place. Methods I know so far:

- Steering it trough my own movement, which is irritating and sometimes unpractical.

- Use Forcecage: I don't really like it. I play Sorcerers, and repeatedly casting Forcecage is expensive. So trapping the Cloudkill inside the Forcecage is a no no

- Being on top of it, if it's on the floor. Seems to work fine, but it's also irritating, specially if you use more than one Cloudkill (or Sculpt Spell to partition it). Doesn't work if you cast it on flying enemies.

shadzar
2009-06-02, 02:32 AM
Casting water in the area it will be?

Doesn't it say it won't move over water?

Like it must be a vampire or something.

So get some water on the ground to prevent it from moving around over the water, and then cast it and you lock it in place?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-02, 02:34 AM
Force Wall. Like Forcecage, only cheaper, and easier to manipulate.

Dark_Scary
2009-06-02, 02:55 AM
Force Wall. Like Forcecage, only cheaper, and easier to manipulate.

I can see it now:

Sorcerer: Wall of Force.
Generic Poisons susceptible bad guy: "Hey dummy, you cast your wall on the wrong side. I guess that's why you didn't become a Wizard."
Sorcerer: "But I get all the Ladies." Cloudkill.

ericgrau
2009-06-02, 03:54 AM
Wall of force is also an extremely useful spell in general. Fighting 4 baddies? Force wall down the middle. Now your party is fighting 2 baddies at a time. Piece of cake.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-02, 04:12 AM
I've often found the movement thing quite useful, it's the stock anti-army spell after all since so much at 9th+ is poisen immune, since armies take up a whole lot of room it's helpful to be able to start it rolling.

That being said this is a nice oppertunity for some homebrew -

Moving Spell (Metamagic)- you can add or remove a round by round movement from any of your area affecting spells, up to 20'/round. Any spell cast with this metamagic can be directed to move along a preprogrammed route, remain stationary or drift along a straight course. Adding this metamagic to a spell uses a slot two higher than the original spell.

Now you can have nervegas that stands still, walls of fire that grind along a corridor in frount of you, drifting banks of stinking cloud, wandering permenancied spells that follow a set circuit in your fortress of doom, cool.