PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic Armor ability for characters without armor

J.Gellert
2009-06-02, 04:41 AM
Is there any way to give an ability usually reserved for armors (like Undead Controlling or Fortification) to another item so that characters who don't wear armor can access it? Specifically, I am interested in the Fearsome armor enchantment from 'Drow of the Underdark'.

I imagine it's not that hard to houserule, but if there is a way to go about it by the current rules it'd help.

Darwin
2009-06-02, 04:46 AM
One could rule that a piece of cloth, for example a robe would qualify as an armor even though it has no armor bonus. It really depends on the DM, if you want body slot enchantments on players without armor it's entirely your call. :smallwink:

Another option is that you could rule that armor enchantments such as Fortification could be made on Bracers of Armor in addtion to normal armor.

I don't know any rules that specifically allows you to do it, but rules are made to be broken anyway :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2009-06-02, 05:12 AM
Another option is that you could rule that armor enchantments such as Fortification could be made on Bracers of Armor in addtion to normal armor.

I don't know any rules that specifically allows you to do it, but rules are made to be broken anyway :smallwink:

3.0 has this as an alternate rule in the Arms & Equipment Guide.

lesser_minion
2009-06-02, 05:22 AM
For the purposes of Magic Vestment only, you can treat normal clothing as armour.

The 'cloth armour' rule is pretty reasonable, so I think you may be able to get permission for it even though it isn't otherwise permitted by RAW.

Ask your DM whether or not he agrees.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-02, 07:37 AM
3.0 has this as an alternate rule in the Arms & Equipment Guide. Sorry, but you're misunderstanding the D&D rules on a couple of counts. This is neither an "alternate" rule, nor limited to 3.0 D&D; it's RAW in D&D 3.5.
Any special ability that can be added to armor can be added to bracers of armor. Armor qualities with a cost expressed in gp rather than an effective bonus can be added to bracers for the same price. This rule isn't phrased as optional; it's just written in a sidebar. And it's also still valid under 3.5 D&D according to page 4 of the Dungeon Master's Guide.
This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

J.Gellert
2009-06-02, 07:48 AM
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much :smallsmile:

Epinephrine
2009-06-02, 08:34 AM
Note that according to the Magic Item Compendium, armor bonus can be added to arms (bracers) as well as the body slot (robe) without extra cost, implying that robes of armour are just as feasible as bracers of armour.

Also, robes can carry deflection bonuses and natural armour bonuses without added cost, so it's a nice one-stop place for armour bonuses.