PDA

View Full Version : Three new spells (P.E.A.C.H.)

Zeful
2006-04-12, 08:05 PM
I created a few new spells but I have no idea on how to balance them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Force Missles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components:V,S,M
Range: Close (25ft+5ft/two levels)
Casting time: 1 standard action
Targets: Up to four creatures, no to of which may be greater than 20ft apart
Duration: Instantanious
Saving Throw: Reflex for half (see text)
SR: Yes

The spell creates a homing missle of force. This missle strikes unerringly, requiering no attack roll. Each missle deals 1d8 damage upon impact. The missles then explode dealing concussion damage to all creatures with in five feet of the target (incuding the target). They take 1 damage per caster level (max 5). A successful reflex saving throw halves the concussion damage. A sheild spell blocks the missle damage but not the concussion damage. Likewise a creature with spell resistance blocks the missle damage and the concussion damage. This spell creates one spell at level five; two missles at level eight; up to a maximum of three missles at level eleven.
Material Components: A glass orb costing 10gp for each missle created.

Spark
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components:V,S
Range: Medium 100ft+10ft/ level
Casting: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 round+1 round/ four levels
Saving Throws: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A small charge of electricity jumps from your fingers toward the enemy. If you succed at a ranged touch attack you deal 3d8 damage. For every four caster levels, the charge, unless somehow neutralized, lasts for another round dealing another 1d8 damage for that round. At 7th level, lasts for 2 rounds; at 8th-11th level the charge lasts for 3 rounds; and so on to a max of 6 rounds at 20th level.

Shadow Burst
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components:V,S
Range Long (400ft+40/level)
Effect: 20ft+10ft/5levels after 10th
Castinig time: 1 round
Duration: Instantanious
Saving throw: Fortitude for half (see text)
Spell resistance: Yes

This spell creates a small point of intense negative energy which expands when the spell is completed. The negative energy deals 2d10 damage plus an addtional 1d10 for every three levels. The energy also bestows 1d4 negative levels. The spell affects all creatures within 20ft; at level 15 the area widens to 30ft; and at level 20 the area widens to 40ft. A succesful fortitude saving throw halves the damage and negates the negative levels.

What do you guys think? The levels are kind of taked on but they are my biased thoughts. The first one is from Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter The second one is a beefed up (and altered) acid arrow. The third was a more recent creation that hasn't had much thought behind it.

EDIT
[hr]Changed Force Missles, and Spark

Dhavaer
2006-04-12, 08:11 PM
Shadowburst seems alright.
Force Missiles is too weak. At least remove the material component, or remove the cost. It's weaker than Scorching Ray and expensive to cast.
Spark would probably be better suited to 3rd level.

Edit: On checking Enervation, it might be better to reduce the range of Shadowburst to Medium.

That Lanky Bugger
2006-04-12, 08:15 PM
Force Missles should be 3rd Level, if only for the fact that it deals unerring damage and then has damage on top of THAT. I'd make it all blockable by a Shield spell and topping out at three missles if you want to balance it.

Spark is fine as is, I think, but I'd maybe alter it so it deals 4d8 first round and then 1d8 for the duration of up to six rounds. Most spells which deal damage beyond their initial attack usually deal less.

Shadow Burst is a solid 7 or 8. It allows for major damage growth (especially considering the dice are d10s), has a pretty big area of effect, deals negative energy (as opposed to elemental energy like Fire) which is harder to reduce or eliminate (unless you're undead)... and most importantly bestows negative levels.

prufock
2006-04-12, 08:23 PM
Okay, I have to ask: What does PEACH/P.E.A.C.H mean?

Orion-the-G
2006-04-12, 08:26 PM
Please Examine And Critique Honestly.

Kaerou
2006-04-12, 08:37 PM
Force missile seems a little much for a 2nd level spell. its 3rd, possibly fourth.

Question: does each missile does the concussion damage too? It doesnt seem clear, but if so i'd put it at 4th of 5th minimum. Irresistable damage with no SR is very powerful.

Orion-the-G
2006-04-12, 08:47 PM
SR should affect both the normal and the concussion damage (by the same token a fireball's fire is affected normally by SR) and the concussion damage is really the most powerful part of the spell. not the 1d8.

To be honest force missile needs to be toned down in general. Compare it to scorching ray. They both get roughly the same number of attacks, but the ray inflicts 4d6 fire damage (avg of 14) and requires an attack roll.

The force missile inflicts a minimum of 1d8+3 untyped damage (average of 7) with no attack roll required and allowing an area of effect.

Already that seems too strong considering the benefits force missile gets. At higher levels it's even more powerful.

At 12th level scorching ray does up to 16d6 fire damage (average of 56 damage) but it requires 4 attack rolls to hit for full damage.

at 12th level the force missiles inflict 4d8+48 (average of 66 damage), have an area of effect, don't require an attack roll and deal untyped damage. They also haven't reached their full potential yet. in 3 more levels the average damage boosts it's way to 88. which is more than the maximum damage of a fireball spell (3rd level and allows a save). It doesn't allow a save and most of the damage doesn't even allow SR.

Force missiles is at least a 4th level spell as is (maybe make the initial damage 2d6 or 1d10 to even it up a bit) and even then it should definitely allow SR.

Tryranus_Magus
2006-04-13, 08:44 AM
I agree that Force Missile should be 3rd level. Also, wouldn't the save on concussion be Fort, not Ref.

Zeful
2006-04-13, 09:45 AM
Sky warrior: Yes each missle explodes into a concussion effect. I tried to word so that would be the implication.

In relation to force missles: This was an Icewind dale spell (read: 2e) and the basis was worse I'll try to reword it so that it fits with some of the suggestions here. Probably ending up at a 3rd level spell

Spark: I'll change it so it dealts 3d8 damage the first round and then 1d8 every round there after.

Shadowburst: This spell wasn't thought out and is in the greatest need of evaluation. most likely a 6-8th level spell.

Misplaced_Jedi
2006-04-13, 12:16 PM
From Spell Compendium pg 98:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/885987200

Force Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 4
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft. + 10ft./level)
Targets: Up to four creatures, no two of which are more than 30ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Sparking bolts of blue magic, like giant magic missiles, streak from your outstretched hand to strike your foes and explode in sparkling bursts.

You create powerful missiles of magical force, each of which darts from your fingertips and unerringly strikes its target, dealing 2d6 points of damage. The missile then explodes in a a burst of force that deals half this amount of damage to any creature adjacent to the primary target.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee or has anything less than total cover or concealment. A caster cannot single out specific parts of a creature. The spell can target and damage unattended objects.
You gain one missile for every four caster levels. You can make more than one missile strike a target, if desired. However, you must designate targets before rolling for spell resistance or damage.

Zeful
2006-04-13, 12:37 PM
I susspected as such but I like mine better.