PDA

View Full Version : Teleport to a person

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:13 AM
Is there some kind of item or ability that let's you teleport to a person of whom you do not know the location?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-02, 08:16 AM
What world or system are you referring to? That makes a huge difference here.

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:19 AM
Sorry, DnD 3.5

bosssmiley
2009-06-02, 08:20 AM
Is there some kind of item or ability that let's you teleport to a person of whom you do not know the location?

Nope. You generally have to know the location of a target when you 'port. Hence scry + die (spy them out first, then tele' in).

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:25 AM
Ok, and what would be lowest level spell for a wizard to find the location of that person?

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:30 AM
Hmmm....i guess that would be Scrying.

What happpens if the person i am trying to scry is death?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-02, 08:31 AM
What happpens if the person i am trying to scry is death?

Then you would be able to planar travel to that particular god's home plane. For instance, Kelemvor has an extensive plane with a wall of souls and a mirror of truth and so forth.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-02, 08:32 AM
I do believe there is a magic item in 3.5 called a charm bracelet or something similar that allows you to teleport a willing creature to you.

kamikasei
2009-06-02, 08:38 AM
Then you would be able to planar travel to that particular god's home plane. For instance, Kelemvor has an extensive plane with a wall of souls and a mirror of truth and so forth.

I think he might have meant to ask about the subject being dead, not death. Not that I don't imagine you knew that.

The spell text is a little vague as it does talk about a creature (a corpse is an object), but not precisely as the target of the spell... I'd say it's DM's call whether it locates the creature's corpse, its petitioning soul, or fizzles all together.

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:41 AM
I think he might have meant to ask about the subject being dead, not death.

Oh lol yeah, sorry, english is not my native language and i get confused sometimes ;)

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-02, 08:42 AM
Death's not such a bad guy, once you get to know him. >.>

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-02, 08:44 AM
Oh lol yeah, sorry, english is not my native language and i get confused sometimes ;)

It's fine.
Assuming you knew the location of the corpse, or could learn it from something like Legend Lore (remember that 9th-level or higher characters are suitable Legend Lore targets), you could scry, teleport, grab the object (because dead bodies are considered objects) and teleport back to where you came from so you can (Presumably) raise them.
You can even cut out the scrying if you knew the location the corpse was stowed well.

Glyphic
2009-06-02, 08:46 AM
Truenamer 20, has an ability.. kinda like that.

MichielHagen
2009-06-02, 08:49 AM
It's fine.
Assuming you knew the location of the corpse, or could learn it from something like Legend Lore (remember that 9th-level or higher characters are suitable Legend Lore targets), you could scry, teleport, grab the object (because dead bodies are considered objects) and teleport back to where you came from so you can (Presumably) raise them.
You can even cut out the scrying if you knew the location the corpse was stowed well.

Well i have no idea where he is (i do out of game, but not in game).
But if you scry a deathdead person, would the scry fail?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-02, 08:52 AM

I'm no magic expert, but I'm pretty sure that a Legend Lore can tell you the location of an object (such as the corpse of a suitably high-level character), and it is entire probable that, knowing the location of an object would allow enough scrying (becasue I'm fairly certain you can scry an object) to framiliarize yourself with the area so that you're not working off the "Described to you" column when calculating error chance for teleport.

JeenLeen
2009-06-02, 09:22 AM

I think there's a Scry Location (Complete Scroundel) and Locate Object (PHB?) spell. So you could cast the spell that lets you find an object (the corpse of the person in question), then scry at that location, then teleport in.

I'm sorry that I don't know the names of the Locate Object spell. Perhaps someone else can supply them.

dobu
2009-06-02, 10:05 AM
Divination
Level: Brd 2, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2, Travel 2
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Circle, centered on you, with a radius of 400 ft. + 40 ft./level
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object. You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest one of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination).

The spell is blocked by even a thin sheet of lead. Creatures cannot be found by this spell. Polymorph any object fools it.

from the d20srd.org

so only known objects are a valid target... :-/

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-02, 02:13 PM
Either Locate Object or Locate Creature would work, depending on whether a corpse counts as an object or a creature, but only if the subject is within range. (It should count as an object, or else it just leads to further questions about whether bone and leather items and other parts of dead creatures should count as creatures...)

Scrying would only work if dead creatures are counted as creatures (which, again, they shouldn't be). Legend Lore could work if all significant facts about a legendary figure count as "legends". (It doesn't specify. It says that it can reveal information never generally known, which implies that if no one ever knew it, you're out of luck. Hopefully not the case here.) The spell Divination could possibly provide some advice.

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-02, 02:40 PM
The Blood Magus (Complete Arcane) has a capstone ability called "Bloodwalk" that allows him to teleport by leaping into a creature and erupting out of another one. He can designate a specific creature as the endpoint if he has a sample of its blood on his person.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-02, 02:58 PM
The Blood Magus (Complete Arcane) has a capstone ability called "Bloodwalk" that allows him to teleport by leaping into a creature and erupting out of another one. He can designate a specific creature as the endpoint if he has a sample of its blood on his person.
You got your Telefrag in my Dungeons and Dragons. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-02, 02:59 PM
You got your Telefrag in my Dungeons and Dragons. :smallbiggrin:

The erupting out of the target thing only hurts when you want it to. Otherwise the target is just freaked out but perfectly fine. :P

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-02, 03:06 PM
Legend Lore could work if all significant facts about a legendary figure count as "legends". (It doesn't specify. It says that it can reveal information never generally known, which implies that if no one ever knew it, you're out of luck. Hopefully not the case here.) The spell Divination could possibly provide some advice.

The version of Legend lore that I, admitidly, only vaguely remember states that 9th level characters are considered 'Legendary' for purposes of the spell, and example of how the spell works specfically cited the pettrification of a Paladin under some mountain or another.
Therefore, if Sir Bob the Fighter died at 9th level or above, the circumstances of his death count as a Legend for purposes of the spell, and more than likely, somebody killed him, so the location of his corpse is a known factor (if not generally so).
I'm very admittidly rusty on my 3.X spellcasting, but from there, shouldn't a simple Clairvoyance/Clairaudiance do the trick for pre-teleport scouting?