PDA

View Full Version : Epic Thread Solar Contest #2

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 08:50 AM
You're smack dab in the middle of an impossibly large field of grass. There's a bright sun overhead, a cloudless blue sky, and an irate bald guy with feathers looking like you just kicked his kitty.

Same deal. 200 ft distance between you, roll for initiative.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 08:53 AM
Thanks!

Initiative:[roll0]

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 08:57 AM
And the Solar goes first again. Maybe you guys should consider getting Improved Initiative... :smalltongue:

---

Leaping into the air with a downward surge of its wings, the immense angel with the shaven pate flies closer and invokes a spell.

It is now 50 ft away, 50 ft in the air.

I will assume you cannot identify spells.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:00 AM
Calling out in the language of the solar, Einuil cries out: "Your fight is not with me, creature of Good, for I am a man of charity and justice!"

Einuil leaps away from the earth, his wings carrying him swiftly to the magical creature. With one, forceful blow, he attempts to end the fight before it even begins, channeling all the force of his will behind his fist.

Actions
Move: to Solar
Standard: Quivering Palm. [roll0]
Fortitude Save DC 30.

If the solar fails its save, Einuil will attempt diplomacy so he doesn't have to kill it with a free action.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:02 AM
Oh, and Eberra will cast Magic Circle against Kyber, which grants me some protections.

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:03 AM
I'll roll that here, just to be fair.

[roll0]

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:05 AM
Oh, a 17. Lucky devil solar.

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:09 AM
Taking the blow to its chest without flinching, the angel draws back its rather massive sword and lets loose a barrage of attacks that seem impossibly swift and powerful.

All of these count as magic, good, and epic for overcoming DR.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

In case you're wondering, it gets an extra attack because it used Miracle to cast Righteous Wrath of the Faithful on itself last round. We get to use Spell Compendium, the monsters get to use Spell Compendium.:smallwink:

[Edit: Wow, terrible rolls for the Solar.]

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:18 AM
Einuil manages to dodge most of the strikes, but one of them manages to catch him across the shoulder, wounding him.

37 damage from second attack, overcomes DR. HP: 176/213

Einuil responds with a dizzying blur of strikes, lashing out with elbows, knees, hands, and feet, all the while calling out, "I. Do. Not. Wish. To. Hurt. You!:

Haste-ing. All of these will be stunning fists until he fails a save. Fortitude Save DC 30. " A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC."

All the following are non-lethal damage.

Atk 1: [roll0]
Dmg 1: [roll1]

Atk 2: [roll2]
Dmg 2:[roll3]

Atk 3: [roll4]
Dmg 3: [roll5]

Atk 4: [roll6]
Dmg 4: [roll7]

Atk 5: [roll8]
Dmg 5: [roll9]

Atk 6: [roll10]
Dmg 6: [roll11]

Atk 7: [roll12]
Dmg 7: [roll13]

Meanwhile, a whistling sound comes from Eberra.
Cure Moderate Wounds:[roll14]HP=188

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:21 AM
Oh! Almost forgot: All of his strikes are WOUNDING for 1 constitution damage.

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:24 AM
Stunning Fist is once per round, dude. It's on page 101 of the PHB: "...and no more than once per round."

[roll0]

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:25 AM
Ah, good call. Wasn't paying attention.

So, first strike was stunning fist, which failed, but all strikes that hit still deal normal damage and wounding damage, including the failed stunning fist.

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:29 AM
Your strikes, while strong and true, for the most part glance off the Solar's body. It does flinch every time you hit it, but seemingly not from the force of the blows.

With an angry frown, the massive angel lifts one hand and calls out to the heavens. In an instant it disappears from sight, and you can no feel the heat of its presence or hear the flap of its wings.

Do you have True Seeing?

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:30 AM
Yes, Eberra casts it at will, so it's always on.

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:35 AM
Yes, Eberra casts it at will, so it's always on.

Oh. Wow, Djinn let you have permanent True Seeing? That's ****ed up. :smallconfused:

Anyway, I guess nothing changes for you. The Solar is just hovering right there.

~Gabriel

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:36 AM
Is it my turn now?

Can you tell me if I'm actually doing any damage or constitution damage to this thing?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-02, 09:36 AM
Oh. Wow, Djinn let you have permanent True Seeing? That's ****ed up

Not if the enemies don't bother to conceal themselves. Most of the stuff you guys will be fighting is going to be a little to confident in it's ability to...oh...destroy the known universe to bother hiding. :smallbiggrin:

Trust me...I know what I'm doing. :smallbiggrin:

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:40 AM
Is it my turn now?

Can you tell me if I'm actually doing any damage or constitution damage to this thing?

Yes, it's your turn. And no, you wouldn't know anything beyond what you can glean from my descriptions. Don't metagame.

~Gabriel

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:46 AM
Wasn't trying to.

Einuil continues to plead with the Solar. "What fight do you have with me? It would seem to me that we are working for the same goals!"

Einuil strikes out again, just as before, attempting to deal only non-lethal damage to the solar in the hopes that it will get the message and be friends. Perhaps they can go slay a lich together afterwards.

Still haste-ing.

You know the drill: Fortitude Save DC 30. " A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC."

All the following are non-lethal damage. All strikes impart 1 constitution damage.

Dmg 2: [roll3]

HP: 188
Haste 2/20

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:49 AM
Takingupspacetakingupspace

[roll0]

[Edit: And the Solar is Stunned for one round]

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:52 AM
Wheeeee!! I'll go ahead and post another round's actions.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 09:57 AM
Does a stunned flying creature fall? If so, Einuil will follow it to the ground.

Einuil, giving full force to his voice, shouts at the creature. "Surely you will yield now! Just say the words, give me your yield, and we shall end this!"

Yeah, it's probably cheesy, but I want to beat this thing, and I'm not going to try any trickery that might cost Einuil the win. If the Solar would just speak back to my monk, he might change his course of actions...

Still haste-ing.

You know the drill: Fortitude Save DC 30. " A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC."

All the following are non-lethal damage. All strikes impart 1 constitution damage.

Dmg 2: [roll3]

HP: 188
Haste 3/20

Vox Clamantis
2009-06-02, 09:59 AM
We can assume that, regardless of what you actually decide to do, the Solar will be unconscious by the end of your next turn. All of the damage you've dealt (except the Con damage) has been nonlethal (the Solar only takes lethal damage from evil weapons and spells), so the angel will be back on his feet in less than a minute...but I'll assume you can keep pounding the crap out of it ad infinitum once it's unconscious.

Calling this a victory for the mad monk.

At...four rounds. Well done.

~Gabriel

P.S. Without True Seeing, you'd have been dead in round three. :smalltongue:

Barbarian MD
2009-06-02, 10:03 AM
Yep. I fully appreciate that. That's why I was so intent on getting it for Eberra.

One can only assume that's not the way things will actually work in Djinn's game.

I really can't believe it was so easy. I expected to be doing a lot more tumbling, engaging the Solar in conversation, instead of just "flurry till he's down".

Thanks for the game, Vox.

Oh, and if I didn't have true seeing, I would have gone ethereal, just for the fun of it!