PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Familiars...

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-02, 09:45 AM
So yesterday's comic has given me an idea. Admittedly said idea is only tangentially related TO said comic... but *shrug* <. .> that's how ideas go, right?

I'm playing a Battle Sorcerer in a campaign that's about to begin, and while my first several levels are easy to plan out (and I have a general idea where I'm headed) - I started thinking that perhaps I aught to consider investing in a familiar.

Usually, I just kind of ignore familiars, I never really bother to summon one in the first place as, like V's in OOTS, it just tends to get forgotten >.<

However with feats like Improved Familiar... that might not be the case.

The trouble I'm running into though, is that Improved Familiar's list is kind of limited (both in the DMG and in Complete Warrior).

So really I've got 2 questions:
(I apologize if this is ridiculously basic; casters are not something I play often >.> and as I said, familiars I tend to ignore even when I do)

1) Anyone got any ideas on what kind of familiar works well for a gish type character? I'm planning on sticking to Battle sorcerer most of the way, with only maybe a slight dip in another class unless something comes along that changes my mind drastically.

I really like the idea of something like a Winter Wolf, but those are Evil and I'm NG <>.<> quite obviously, this could be a problem.

Spark Guardians are also kinda interesting. I've considered looking at the Monster Manual for something different, but it's hard to gauge something's power level and I hate having to suggest something to the DM without at least some idea of when to suggest it would be fair.

The main thing I'm looking for though is "Can I reasonably have this creature as an ally while being a good character?" and "Will this creature cause trouble for the enemy?"

Despite liking Spark Guardians, I'm not sure I'm to keen on most normal constructs though; as other familiars tend to be able to develop something of a personality. Still, I'm open to just about any suggestion, so long as it isn't an Evil creature.

2) Other than Improved Familiar, are there any feats I'm missing that can improve a familiar's combat ability? Most familiar feats seem to focus on keeping it hidden or safe. I'm kinda looking for something that makes said familiar a bit rougher in combat all around.

Appreciate any help with this <. .>b

Gorbash
2009-06-02, 10:02 AM
First of all, you can always cast Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability and effectively gaining 3-5 quickened spells a day, no small thing on itself.

I avoid using familiars in combat, because I don't want to risk losing no small amount of XP.

Also, this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=875062) could be useful.

Eldariel
2009-06-02, 10:05 AM
Do note that you can share spells with your familiar. Polymorph it and it ain't so feeble anymore; you need to tend to its safety though because like Gorbash said, its death is a big blow. Anyways, I personally love Pseudodragons for the Telepathy; saves you the trouble of picking Mindsight. Having a Telepath around is always useful.

And yeah, Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, picking ranks in Use Magic Device (your familiar inherits your ranks), ramping up your HD and using magic like False Life and such goes a long way towards making your familiar kick ass.

Goatman_Ted
2009-06-02, 10:12 AM
1) Anyone got any ideas on what kind of familiar works well for a gish type character? I'm planning on sticking to Battle sorcerer most of the way, with only maybe a slight dip in another class unless something comes along that changes my mind drastically.

Depends how you play a Gish. If you use Polymorphs, an Imp, Quasit or other outsider is a clear choice*. If you don't, they're still among the best. Just remember that you share buffs.

*If you stem out of Core to the Book of Exalted Deeds, there are some pretty strong Good Outsiders too.

I would avoid Spark Guardians because they won't make particularly good use of Share Spell. And Share Spell is the reason a Gish's Familiars are scary in the first place.

2) Other than Improved Familiar, are there any feats I'm missing that can improve a familiar's combat ability? Most familiar feats seem to focus on keeping it hidden or safe. I'm kinda looking for something that makes said familiar a bit rougher in combat all around. There's always Improved Toughness, I guess. And I think the PHB2 has a feat that gives familiars spells to cast on their own.

Optimystik
2009-06-02, 10:23 AM
Also, this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=875062) could be useful.

Ah, another quality guide from Dictum. *Bookmarks*

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-02, 10:47 AM
<o.o> That guide is fantastic! Thank you for linking it Gorbash <^_^> that helps immensely. *bookmarked*

Some of these ideas, both in the guide and here, I just flat hadn't thought of. Specifically equipping outsider familiars with weapons. I mean it makes absolutely perfect sense... it's just one of those things that I'd never even considered.

<. .> Going to take some time to get through this guide and sort out the tangents the old brain will work up... but methinks this could be good...

@Goatman_Ted - Probably right on the Spark Guardian <;_;> Shame, they have a spectacularly cool design. Maybe I can get away with building one later on and treating it more like a traditional Golem. (Ie: Not a familiar at all, just a construct)

*edit* Just for anyone curious - I think I'm going for a wyrmling Silver Dragon. Between the guide saying they're quite good; my own like of them in-general, and the fact that I want my familiar to be rather important as a minor character on it's own... I think it will fit well <^_^>