PDA

View Full Version : Guess on title and plot of 659 (spoiler-protected)

Spoomeister
2009-06-02, 02:28 PM
If 658 is A Bird in Hand...
...is 659 going to be, "Two in the Bush", where it ends with O-Chul and V feather-falling to a bit of shrubbery at the base of the tower? :smallbiggrin:

badam104172
2009-06-02, 02:31 PM
hmmm... maybe. but why would there be shrubbery next to the ultimate tower of evil or whatever?

Timberboar
2009-06-02, 02:38 PM
Why wouldn't there be?

I mean, :xykon: and :redcloak: have green enough thumbs to keep potted ferns, after all.

The_Void
2009-06-02, 02:38 PM
Well, we already know that evil likes potted ferns. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html)

EDIT: Darn, Ninja'd.

Sotris
2009-06-02, 02:40 PM
hmmm... maybe. but why would there be shrubbery next to the ultimate tower of evil or whatever?It was decorated by the Knights Who Say Ni?

Anyway, I think the next title will be

With One Stone

As the phylactery is destroyed, and an enraged Xykon drops another piece of masonry on V and O-Chul both.

bluewind95
2009-06-02, 03:00 PM
There is a saying around here that translates to "A bird in hand is worth a hundred flying ones". It basically deals with how the things that you can accomplish now(or have now) are worth more than dreams that are out of your reach. I took it to reference how O-chul says that they have the phylactery now, but no means to escape. They won't let go of that opportunity to chase after the 100 flying birds (which would be, basically, their escape). They'll keep the bird they already have in hand, which is the phylactery.

Timberboar
2009-06-02, 03:02 PM
I've never heard that turn of phrase, Bluewind95.

Whereabouts is it from?

bluewind95
2009-06-02, 03:04 PM
It might have come from somewhere else... but I heard it in Mexico.

We even had those sayings in class. Popular sayings. That was one of them.

Lufia
2009-06-02, 03:16 PM
@bluewind:

In English, the saying is "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush" and expresses exaclty the same morale: better a small sure prize than a big hypothetical one. Thus the first post of this topic, which brings up funny mental images of V and O-Chul landing head-first in a bush and being shown with only their feet visible out of it, cartoon style.

chionophile
2009-06-02, 03:26 PM
The Giant never completes the saying with the next strip. Not that he won't this time, but there's no precedent for it. See strips If They Pull a Knife... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html) and Don't Hate the Player Character... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html), or, more relevantly, the ones immediately following them, Madness (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html) and Running Away (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0623.html).

KIDS
2009-06-02, 04:05 PM
"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush" is correctly described here by multiple people. V and O-Chul probably won't chase after fleeting dreams. A local variation in my area is "Bolje vrabac u ruci nego golub na grani", i.e. "Better a sparrow in your hand than a pigeon at the branch."

Sotris
2009-06-02, 04:25 PM
In Greek, the saying goes somewhat like "better five in hand than ten on the lookout" which, more or less, translates as "better having caught just five birds, than wasting more time just in case you catch ten".

It's amazing how so many entirely different cultures have basically the same saying. Maybe it's just a natural analogy to make- or maybe it's a REALLY ancient saying, who knows?

wootage
2009-06-02, 04:33 PM
hmmm... maybe. but why would there be shrubbery next to the ultimate tower of evil or whatever?

It's EEEVVIIILLL shrubbery!

David Argall
2009-06-02, 05:09 PM
The Giant never completes the saying with the next strip.
That sounds here like a good reason to do so. It's not something he should push to do, but if it can fit, it sounds like the sort of thing he should do some time. I'd say the odds are against it here, but that's because there are a lot of alternate endings here. If he gets a good chance, I would not be at all surprised if he doesn't use this idea.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-02, 08:07 PM
It was decorated by the Knights Who Say Ni?

With One Stone

As the phylactery is destroyed, and an enraged Xykon drops another piece of masonry on V and O-Chul both.

I would expect that title to refer to taking out the bird with the masonry, and something else too.

The Giant never completes the saying with the next strip. Not that he won't this time, but there's no precedent for it. See strips If They Pull a Knife... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html) and Don't Hate the Player Character... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html), or, more relevantly, the ones immediately following them, Madness (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html) and Running Away (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0623.html).

I actually don't think anyone expected him to in those cases. A better example would be 641, "For Every Action". People actually expected 642 to be called "There Is an Equal and Opposite Reaction".

566 and 567 are two examples of thematically linked titles.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-02, 08:30 PM
how do i find out the names of previous strips?

Dagren
2009-06-02, 08:37 PM
how do i find out the names of previous strips?Click the scroll icon above the comic.

kusje
2009-06-02, 08:38 PM
how do i find out the names of previous strips?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html

Brauley
2009-06-02, 11:06 PM
I reckon it will be

A Bird in Hand... ...Can be Very Messy

Pyron
2009-06-02, 11:30 PM
My thoughts (plot prediction spoiler as to why as well):

"... Richard's Manuever"

What'll end up happening is this.

The IFCC, realizing that Vaarsuvius could die decide to cash in on their soul time. Instead of tossing the phylactery, V (rather, the fiends) double cross O'Chul and trade Xykon's bling for the elf's safety.

Xykon might get the impression that V is possessed and accept this offer for nothing else just to see the looks on O'Chul's face when his heroism was all in vain. O'Chul dies, and Vaarsuvius is forced to live with this betrayal.

Meanwhile, in the distance, the MitD sees the elf back-stab O'Chul. Feeling the lose and grief over his only friend, the MitD swears revenge on Vaarsuvius. Therefore, when the MitD is finally revealed, he'll have a reason to go all out against the Order of the Stick.

Spoomeister
2009-06-03, 12:13 AM
My thoughts (plot prediction spoiler as to why as well):

"... Richard's Manuever"

What'll end up happening is this.

The IFCC, realizing that Vaarsuvius could die decide to cash in on their soul time. Instead of tossing the phylactery, V (rather, the fiends) double cross O'Chul and trade Xykon's bling for the elf's safety.

Xykon might get the impression that V is possessed and accept this offer for nothing else just to see the looks on O'Chul's face when his heroism was all in vain. O'Chul dies, and Vaarsuvius is forced to live with this betrayal.

Meanwhile, in the distance, the MitD sees the elf back-stab O'Chul. Feeling the lose and grief over his only friend, the MitD swears revenge on Vaarsuvius. Therefore, when the MitD is finally revealed, he'll have a reason to go all out against the Order of the Stick.

Great googly-moogly, that's awesome.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-03, 02:16 AM
@^ yeah that idea is pretty good but that would make this whole arc rather pointless don't you think? think about it.

we didn't find out V's gender, V didn't do anything to beat xykon and V probably ends up dying regardless. they wouldn't cash in what precious little time they have for something like this. if they do that's all they get.

mcv
2009-06-03, 02:23 AM
In Greek, the saying goes somewhat like "better five in hand than ten on the lookout" which, more or less, translates as "better having caught just five birds, than wasting more time just in case you catch ten".

It's amazing how so many entirely different cultures have basically the same saying. Maybe it's just a natural analogy to make- or maybe it's a REALLY ancient saying, who knows?

FYI, the Dutch version is: "Better one bird in hand than ten in the sky."

Firemage
2009-06-03, 06:52 AM
My guess:
I'll go with the already suggested "Two birds in the bush"

Blackwing will throw the phylactery in the rift and O-Chul and Vaarsuvius will escape Xycons wraith by jumping down, without any means of protection. They will land in the bushes below and maybe even on some Flumpps, or however they were called.

The german version is "Besser nen Spatz in der Hand als ne Taube auf dem Dach.", which translates to "Better a sparrow in your hand than a pidgeon on the roof."
Amazingly similar to the croatian version.

Pyron
2009-06-03, 05:37 PM
@^ yeah that idea is pretty good but that would make this whole arc rather pointless don't you think? think about it.

we didn't find out V's gender, V didn't do anything to beat xykon and V probably ends up dying regardless. they wouldn't cash in what precious little time they have for something like this. if they do that's all they get.

I will admit that my idea would end this whole story-arc as a real downer, but I disagree that (if it were to end like like), it'll be pointless.

As long as the plot move forwards and we get some earnest character development, no story arc would ever be pointless. The good guys don't need to score a victory to be a meaningful story-arc. After all, the Azure City siege was a meaningful story arc.

Using my idea as an example: character development can come from Vaarsuvius learning a painful lesson about over-relining on his own arcane power and/or being over arrogant to fight the big bad. Hopefully, he can learn from this. Even if Vaarsuvius dies, the plot can move forward (since she can always been revived with Durkon's magic and a severed head curiosity of Qarr).

Of course, my idea is not only way to go about this.

Nice avatar, btw.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-04, 02:12 AM
It was decorated by the Knights Who Say Ni?

With One Stone

That's just what I was thinking, only with Xykon doing it to Blackwing, O-Chul and V.

:xykon: Three birds. One Stone. God I'm good.

grautry
2009-06-04, 02:15 AM
The german version is "Besser nen Spatz in der Hand als ne Taube auf dem Dach.", which translates to "Better a sparrow in your hand than a pidgeon on the roof."
Amazingly similar to the croatian version.

And pretty much the same as the Polish version. "Lepszy wróbel w garści niż gołąb na dachu".

It is indeed intriguing how many cultures have the very same saying with some minor variance.

I predict that Rich will surprise us with the title. :smallwink:

puzpuz
2009-06-04, 02:44 AM
If 658 is A Bird in Hand...
...is 659 going to be, "Two in the Bush", where it ends with O-Chul and V feather-falling to a bit of shrubbery at the base of the tower? :smallbiggrin:

X won't die. Thet's what I think right now.

The Pilgrim
2009-06-04, 10:20 AM
It might have come from somewhere else... but I heard it in Mexico.

Canonical in Spain. Guess go spread it to Latin America together with spanish language, roman catholicism and smallpox.