PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Cyberpunk media

Dancing_Zephyr
2009-06-02, 03:16 PM
I've finished Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive, and I'm reading Count Zero and I would like to take suggestions on cyberpunk other media, books, movies or what have you.
I've seen, and liked, Blade Runner and some of Ghost in the Shell, which I didn't like.
I would also like to take a look at some tabletop RPGs. I know of Shadowrun, but I haven't read any of it.

Jorkens
2009-06-02, 03:19 PM
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash. Also Cryptonomicon, but Snow Crash is closer to 'vanilla' cyberpunk.

chiasaur11
2009-06-02, 03:23 PM
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash. Also Cryptonomicon, but Snow Crash is closer to 'vanilla' cyberpunk.

Seconded.

There's a bit of Cyberpunkiness to the Diamond Age too.

Oh, and System Shock might be good. Hacker with cyborgy bits V. Evil AI for all the marbles. Good video game.

comicshorse
2009-06-02, 03:26 PM
'STRANGE DAYS' film, directed by Kathryn Bigelow, Starring Ralph Fiennes.
IMHO the perfect, gritty, society on the point of anarchy Cyberpunk movie.

Semidi
2009-06-02, 03:26 PM
Games:
Pick up copies of
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1.

Also, though not quite cyberpunk, pick up some Philip K. **** as he was kind of proto-cyber punk.

H. Zee
2009-06-02, 03:28 PM

Very much thirded.

SurlySeraph
2009-06-02, 03:35 PM
Try everything else William Gibson ever wrote, starting with Burning Chrome.

Snowblind is a pretty good game, where you're a special forces soldier in a cyberpunk world.

Swordguy
2009-06-02, 03:37 PM
A note: Ghost in the Shell isn't cyberpunk - it's post-cyberpunk. The biggest difference is that in post-CP, technology isn't inherently harmful to the "soul" of a person, while the anti-humanist view of the interaction of man and technology was one of the core principles of "true" cyberpunk.

Paul Saffo, of Wired Magazine, wrote:

"Cyberpunks envision humans as electronic cyber-rats lurking in the interstices of the information mega-machine; the gospel of the post-cyberpunk movement will be one of machines in the service of enlarging our humanity. "

chiasaur11
2009-06-02, 03:39 PM
Games:
Pick up copies of
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1.

Also, though not quite cyberpunk, pick up some Philip K. **** as he was kind of proto-cyber punk.

Shock 1 too.

It's great. Cyberspace is weird.

Seonor
2009-06-02, 04:36 PM
The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. Written 1975 it has no virtual reality or other big technological advancements, but otherwise it is one of the more influental works. It coined the word "worm" for a self replicating programm in a net.

Otherland by Tad Williams. A looooooong series of 4 books, each with ~1000 pages. The first book is somewhat slow, but still good.

Icewalker
2009-06-05, 12:48 AM
I'll suggest Colorshock, if only because I love plugging it so much. There's a link in my sig. I'm not sure how well it would match up with your interests as I haven't read/seen most of the things you mentioned, but it is awesome color/cyberpunk.

Snow Crash is bloody amazing, I'll add another vote there.

Athaniar
2009-06-05, 05:20 AM
Wikipedia says Dark Angel is cyberpunk. I can recommend it. Plus, it has Jessica Alba.

EDIT: It's a TV series, by the way.

LesterLester
2009-06-05, 10:38 AM
Accelerando http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando_(book)

Novel/Set of short stories touching themes of cyberpunk.
I would consider it more as postcyberpunk in its attitude towards technology, but it is interesting nonetheless
(The technological singularity, A.I.s converting most of the matter in the solar system into nano-hardware to calculate the real big issues while humans have no chance to keep in competition

-Schismatrix
The first 100 pages are still more or less Cyberpunk...afterwards, it gets complicated.

If you happen to own the videogame Half Life 2 I could recommend the Mod "Dystopia".
Heavily armed Anarcho-Punks fight mercenaries of mega corporations in dystopian cities. Featuring "hacking" in a cyberspace very much like Neuromancer and spiderbots.

Hida Reju
2009-06-05, 10:05 PM
Here are a few I liked

Books
Hardwired - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwired_(novel) one of the other major influences of cyberpunk in my opinion. 1986 publishing date

Anime -
Serial Experiment Lain - hard to explain but its a major cyber head trip

Armitage III - http://animeworld.com/reviews/armitage.html A crowing achivement of style and substance.

Movies -
Nemesis http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107668/
In my opinion a very overlooked action movie that has much to speak for it.

Cheesegear
2009-06-05, 10:34 PM
Read some of the source material for Shadowrun. Cyberpunk...With Magic and Dragons.

Stormthorn
2009-06-05, 10:45 PM
Anime -
Serial Experiment Lain - hard to explain but its a major cyber head trip
Alice in Wonderland and Edger Allen Poe meet Dissasociative Personality Disorder inside The Matrix. Does that come close to starting to explain it in terms of feel?

The Electric Church and The Digital Plague are good.

Transmetroplitan

latwPIAT
2009-06-07, 12:27 PM
and some of Ghost in the Shell, which I didn't like.
The 1995 movie, the 2004 movie, the 2006 movie or the 2002/2003 TV series? And what didn't you like? The 1995 and 2004 movies are very different from the TV series and the 2006 movie, so rejecting all of it just because you didn't like one of them is a bit sad to people like me who hail it as the second best thing after physics. Granted, there's a fairly high chance you won't like any of it because what most people have problems with in installment is also what they have problems with in the other.

However, it should be noted that most cyberpunk literature sort of died out during the 90's because of the changing socioplotical and socioeconomic state of the world, so if you're looking for hardcore 80's cyberpunk you'll have to rely on stuff written in the 80's, Philip K. **** and stuff written to emulate the feel of 80's cyberpunk. Alternatively, if you like post-cyberpunk, you have a wider span of readable media.

Also, the movie Gattaca.

Revlid
2009-06-07, 05:45 PM
Transmetropolitan (all of it)

and

Snow Crash (beware the exposition)

Verruckt
2009-06-08, 12:06 AM
Thirding Transmet and Fifthing? Snowcrash, as well as the Diamond Age, which is more nanopunk or post-cyber but still utterly epic in the telling.

Be warned, Stephenson tends to write as if he's got word and wikipedia open at the same time, and he'll write a chapter, hit the random article button, and somehow work whatever he's found into the next bit of writing. I doubt that's what he actually does (maybe...) but he feels a little schizophrenic until everything ties together. He is a master at explaining complex concepts to laymen, and that is a talent too few have or harness.

Also minigun toting katana dual wielding motorcycle riding cyber jesus.