PDA

View Full Version : 9+ attacks a round

lilhowie624
2009-06-02, 07:29 PM
now i have no problem if this idea works. i just wanna know if its possiable or not. his hit is rather low but its real cool to see 11 or even 12 unarmed attacks around.

ok i joined a high lvl dnd game and a friend of mine has a monk12/fighter8 who could obtain 9+ attacks around. no i dont know if this is possiable or not but heres some of what his feats / abilities are:

flurry of blows: 2 attacks due to being higher than 11 monk
two weapon fighting
imp two weapon fighting
greater two weapon fighting
roundabout kick(dont know where he got this but on a confirmed crit allows another unarmed attack)
circle kick(from i think a nwn game which the dm did ok)
weapon focus
greater weapon focus

with a bab of 17 he would have(with out mods)
17/17/17/17/12/12/7/7/2 unarmed strikes

now if the feats are right then if he lands an attack it would allow one additonal attack during that round.
and if he crits(which he said dont cap out) then he can have that many more.if this is all legit then couldnt he get 1 more from rapid shot(shurikens) as well if he used 2.
also the DM is allowing him to have special gloves(like boxing gloves) that he can enchant with abilites. if possiable he can get another 2 from the speed enchant. one from each hand.

Stormthorn
2009-06-02, 07:48 PM
Monks can mix weapon and non-weapon attacks even with their hands full (feet). Have him wield a Keen Kukri in each hand. A keen kukri threatens a critical on a roll of 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20; this serves to greatly improve the odds of him getting that critical he needs for the full COMBO.

Mando Knight
2009-06-02, 07:49 PM
More power to him. Monks are among the weakest classes in the game, and Fighters aren't too much better.

Shraik
2009-06-02, 08:02 PM
If it was Forgotten realms and he was Shou he could take shou Expatriot, which allows him to Flurry of blows with anything.

Could work if he used his feet, but if he wanted to he could flurry of blows with a Warhammer then kick the dude in the face.

peacenlove
2009-06-03, 12:52 AM
with a bab of 17 he would have(with out mods)
17/17/17/17/12/12/7/7/2 unarmed strikes

The idea is certainly possible (i had an exalted monk in my campaign too, your player should take Insightful strike (i think, the feat that lets you use wisdom instead of strength for attacks) instead of Gr.W.Focus. Also tell him that monks do not hit that often even with 9 attacks ;)

now if the feats are right then if he lands an attack it would allow one additonal attack during that round.
and if he crits(which he said dont cap out) then he can have that many more.if this is all legit then couldnt he get 1 more from rapid shot(shurikens) as well if he used 2.
also the DM is allowing him to have special gloves(like boxing gloves) that he can enchant with abilites. if possiable he can get another 2 from the speed enchant. one from each hand.

Remember weapon focus and Gr.W.Focus are only for one weapon, thus they do not apply for shurikens. Also rapid shot imposes a further -2 to all attacks on the round you activate it. Lastly i am pretty sure haste from the speed enchantment doesn't stack with itself (since a) its from the same source (speed enchant) and b) its based on the same spell)

Cieyrin
2009-06-03, 10:27 AM
sorry to burst the bubble but you can't two-weapon fight with monk unarmed strikes.

There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed.

No off-hand attacks means you can't two-weapon (or multi-weapon fight, cheesy at that would be) unarmed strikes like you imply he can.

So basically he comes out to 6 attacks (more if he crits, thanks to Roundabout Kick, and more if he hits, though on somebody else, thanks to Circle Kick).

He also couldn't flurry with kukris, given they're not monk weapons. He'd have to take Unorthodox Flurry (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Unorthodox_Flurry,DC1) to do that, which isn't that big a deal, i guess, though i'm pretty sure Roundabout Kick specifies critting with an unarmed strike, so using kukris isn't gonna help you with that, either.

If you want to see a sick flurry, take a fighter 2/monk 12/master thrower 5/exotic weapon master 1 and specialize him in shuriken and have one of his Master Thrower tricks be palm toss and his exotic weapon master trick be close combat shot (that just makes this funner). By taking the two-weapon chain of feats (regular, improved and greater) and with 20 +1 returning speed shuriken, he makes 10 attacks (really 20, b/c palm toss means throwing 2 shuriken per attack) per full attack. Put on some fun enhancements onto those shuriken, like wounding and elemental power of your choice (i prefer putting Elemental Aura (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/magweapdesc.pl?Elemental_Aura^mweapontype) on them so I can choose my energy, though that precludes going up to a burst for that extra damage on crits, so up to you) and, to make this more disgusting, have his other Master Thrower tricks be Deadeye Shot and Weak Spot, so shuriken do x3 crits and all attacks are treated as touch attacks. :smallbiggrin: I call it the Swarm of Bees build. >=D

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about Rapid Shot, so really 11 attacks (22 w/ palm toss) per full attack. I probably have enough feats to pick up Improved Rapid Shot, so no attack penalty on that front, probably. Even better, ha! =)

Zeta Kai
2009-06-03, 10:34 AM
C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, I see nothing really wrong with this. It requires a heavy feat investment, good ability scores (especially Strength), & some odd abilities (which your DM needs to approve), but it's doable. The monk needs a little lot of cheese to complete with DMM & gate-lunacy. More power to you.

Also, this ain't homebrew. Just saying.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-03, 10:49 AM
Fighter 16+/Dervish 10 w/ PTWF & Scimitars of Speed. 4 attacks base, 4 on the offhand, +1 per sword for Speed and the x2 for A Thousand Cuts granted by Dervish 10 for a total of 20 attacks. How to get higher than that? I suppose an allied spellcaster would help.

Stormthorn
2009-06-03, 10:57 AM
sorry to burst the bubble but you can't two-weapon fight with monk unarmed strikes.

But my technique lets him two weapon fight with his Kukri's and replace any of those with his mink attacks as monks are allowed to do if im reading the rules right. I dont see why he would use the unarmed strikes over the Keen Kukri monk weapons, but he could.

Yakk
2009-06-03, 11:14 AM
Just equip a weapon.

Use that weapon as your off-hand attacks while attacking with your flurry.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-04, 09:06 AM
I think you CAN use two-weapon with flurry. There's a note in the Errata or the FAQ from Wizards about it.

Theres another feat called "Lightning Fists" that gives you two extra attacks in a round at the expense of a -5 penalty to ALL attacks.

Oh, and my monk has boots with haste on them, so that's another attack.

Cieyrin
2009-06-04, 11:59 AM
I stand corrected on the two-weapon fighting with monk unarmed strikes, as noted in the D&D 3.5 FAQ. Their example should clear up any confusion anyone has with this (such as mine -_-).

A 20th-level monk with Greater Two-Weapon Fighting can make eight attacks per round during a flurry of blows.
Assuming she wields a light weapon in her off hand, her three
off-hand weapon attacks are at +13/+8/+3, and she has five
attacks (at +13/+13/+13/+8/+3) with unarmed strikes or any
weapons she carries in her primary hand. If the same monk also
has Rapid Shot and throws at least one shuriken as part of her
flurry of blows (since Rapid Shot can be used only with ranged
attacks), she can throw one additional shuriken with her
primary hand, but all of her attacks (even melee attacks) suffer
a –2 penalty. Thus, her full attack array looks like this:
+11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+1 primary hand (two must be with
shuriken) and +11/+6/+1 off hand.

So, in the case of the original post, with his BAB +17, he would have his 9 attacks with at +15/+15/+15/+15/+10/+10/+5/+5, just based on BAB. More with Roundabout Kick on crits and Circle Kick (though on a different target than you initially hit). The aforementioned boxing gloves would only get him 1 extra attack with speed, though, as unarmed strikes are all treated as the same for the most part, not just your fists, so it's probably just better to use an Amulet of Mighty Fists, given that, as mentioned in the Arms and Equipment Guide, you can put special abilities in instead of direct enhancement, so +2 speed amulet of might fists.

As for the kukri issue, as I previously mentioned, kukris aren't special monk weapons and not flurry-able (at least without Unorthodox Flurry). You could use it for the off-hand attacks, if you wanted, but then only for off-hand attacks and not as part of the flurry. Since the kukri couldn't activate Roundabout Kick, anyways, also as previously mentioned, it's a moot point to have one.

The boots of speed for haste are fine, though the extra attack won't stack with the Amulet or any other speed weapons for extra attacks. The question of multiple speed weapons and whether you get multiple extra attacks, one per weapon, is much debated and unfortunately not mentioned in the FAQ =(. As for Lightning Fists, that's from Sword and Fist and whether your DM will allow for 3.0 splatbook feats is up to him. Really, Lightning Fists kinda got absorbed via the monk's Greater Flurry for 2 extra Flurry attacks, so I don't think it's a viable feat any more, anyways.

Them's my 2 coppers, buffed up a bit through the ministrations of the FAQ. Take as you will.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-04, 12:03 PM
Thanks! It's nice to see it all outlined like that.