PDA

View Full Version : Sniper (PrC, 3.5, feel free to comment)

Stormthorn
2009-06-02, 08:41 PM
Because i didnt like the existing options.

Sniper
Prerequisites: BaB +4, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Sling, any Bow, any Crossbow), Far Shot
Class Skills: Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Concentration
(2 + Int bonus per level)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Improved Precise Shot, Piercing Round 1

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Distant Sneak Attack +1d10

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Piercing Round 2, Extreme Range

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Dead Eye, Distant Sneak Attack +2d10

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Piercing Round 3, Hand of God[/table]

Improved Precise Shot- At first level Snipers gain this feat as a bonus feat.

Piercing Round (Ex)- The ranged attacks of the Sniper ignore this much armor (Manufactured or Natural) on their target, treating their armor class as if it was lower by the number indicated.

Distant Sneak Attack (Ex)- At level 2 a Sniper can make a sneak attack when making a single attack in a round (inculding Dead Eye) at +1d10 damage at any range. This doubles to +2d10 at level 4. This does not stack with any other form of Sneak Attack.

Extreme Range (Ex)- The range increment of the Snipers ranged attacks are increased by an additional 50% of the base, doubling each increment.

Dead Eye (Ex)- Once per day/class* level at fourth level the sniper can, as a full round action, make a single attack with a +10 insight bonus to hit and damage. This ability only functions if the target does not know the location of the Sniper.

Hand of God (Ex)- One per day the sniper may make an ranged attack that functions as the Assassins Death Attack "kill" option with a DC of 10 + 2(Sniper Levels (max 20)) + Snipers Int bonus excpet that, of course, it works at any range the sniper can strike. This ability only functions if the target does not know the location of the Sniper.

*This ability continues to improve beyond 5th level for epic characters. The AC ignoring power of Piercing Round also improves by one on every odd level beyond fifth.

My hope is that this is the first class i made where i didnt make any huge mistakes.

Harperfan7
2009-06-03, 12:39 AM
I take it Distant Sneak Attack doesn't stack with normal sneak attack (that is, at more than 30ft.)?

Also, I would add "If not spotted by target" to all of these abilities.

Otherwise, good job. I think I'll use this.

Cieyrin
2009-06-03, 10:44 AM
Personally, I'd rather see Distant Sneak Attack as a Ranged Precision style ability, ala Order of the Bow Initiate, so you get extra d8s and don't have to worry so much about them being flat-footed or not, just have to spend a standard action to line up your shot, which seems very snipery to me. Snipers have always been more of a "one shot one kill" sort of thing, as opposed to a "Full Attack it till it dies!" sort of thing, which Ranged Precision fits, I'd say. It conflicts with Dead Eye but ah well, the bonuses don't stack with the potion of true strike I probably would have chugged to make the shot count. At 50 gp a pot, I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to afford 'em for any major hit.

Also, traditionally 5 level PRCs don't have epic builds, as they're not big enough to warrant doing so, since they're little better than dipping classes, really. There just isn't enough material to extend into epic well, really, making listing the Hand of God w/ variable DCs not all that useful. Just put a DC 20 + Sniper's Int bonus and call it good.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Stormthorn
2009-06-03, 10:52 AM
I take it Distant Sneak Attack doesn't stack with normal sneak attack (that is, at more than 30ft.)?

Also, I would add "If not spotted by target" to all of these abilities.

Otherwise, good job. I think I'll use this.

Yea, that was the idea. Its a different sort of sneak attack.

And good thinking about the not be spotted bit.

And i modified the sneak attack to limit it to one attack per round but make it stronger while letting it sync with Dead Eye and possibly Hand of God although im not sure.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-03, 11:24 AM
There's a problem with Piercing Shot...it effectively gives this class a +11 to hit over 5 levels. Additionally, hitting doesn't always mean that it has to pierce armor.

I'd be much more comfortable with a 1/2/3 progression that affects only natural or manufactured armor. I also think this is better balanced overall.

Otherwise, nice class. :smallbiggrin:

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-03, 03:55 PM
It's a good class but this is in no way a sniper, just a very accurate archer/crossbowman.

To demonstrate why, let me point out that in most video games (and in real life), snipers don't run into a battlefield with their sniper rifles looking for a good shot. What they do is hide, shoot, and hide again.

There is a use for the hide skill on page 76 of the player's handbook called sniping. It allows you to make an attack roll from hiding and make another hide check (albeit with a huge penalty).

A couple of your class features require your opponent to not know where you are but you gain no class features helping you hide and you don't require ranks in hide to take this class.

Perhaps, instead of piercing rounds, you could grant a bonus to hide checks equal to your sniper level at 1st level, lower the hide penalty for sniping to -10 at 3rd level, and lower it to -5 at 5th level.

Stormthorn
2009-06-04, 12:10 AM
Perhaps, instead of piercing rounds, you could grant a bonus to hide checks equal to your sniper level at 1st level, lower the hide penalty for sniping to -10 at 3rd level, and lower it to -5 at 5th level

Hmm.
Its an idea.

Or i can just change the class title to marksman and ta-da! not a problem anymore.

Or i cna require a certain rank in hide ot take the class.

Although its not really needed. Someone with a longbow and a few levels in this class doesnt need to decrease the snipering acts hiding penalty.

Snipe from 2000 feet with longbow and then hide (-20)
Spot the sniper (-205)

See? Turning that -20 into a -5 doesnt do much in the grand scheme of things.

It's a good class but this is in no way a sniper, just a very accurate archer/crossbowman.

Taking that into account this claim doesnt hold much water. Making a save-or-die from those ranges and having your opponent take over a hundred point penalty on his spot check seems like what a sniper would do to me. How do you define sniping?

I'd be much more comfortable with a 1/2/3 progression that affects only natural or manufactured armor. I also think this is better balanced overall.

Good idea. I made the change.

Cieyrin
2009-06-04, 01:18 PM
Congratulations, you made Distant Sneak Attack into Ranged Precision. May I just suggest taking the Order of the Bow Initiate ability from Complete Warrior and going from there? To make it work with Dead Shot, just add text to the ability saying you get Ranged Precision damage when doing so.

Also, Two things: 1) If the snipees have -205 to spot, how is the sniper spotting his target, either? I know I'm not making that roll, regardless of what I do. And 2) Sniping with Slings makes me lawl, just so everyone knows. :smalltongue:

Stormthorn
2009-06-04, 11:37 PM
Congratulations, you made Distant Sneak Attack into Ranged Precision. May I just suggest taking the Order of the Bow Initiate ability from Complete Warrior and going from there? To make it work with Dead Shot, just add text to the ability saying you get Ranged Precision damage when doing so.

Also, Two things: 1) If the snipees have -205 to spot, how is the sniper spotting his target, either? I know I'm not making that roll, regardless of what I do. And 2) Sniping with Slings makes me lawl, just so everyone knows. :smalltongue:

If i knew what Order of the Bow or Ranged Percision where i would look into that. I only have the core books, which is why i have to homebrew.

Im assuming for my best-case-scenario that the sniper wouldnt need a spot check. Perhaps his target is wearing bright blue and standing in the middle of the desert plains while the sniper has a camoflauged outfit and is hunkered down.
I mean, i doubt you will actually get to shoot from that range very often.

Cieyrin
2009-06-05, 09:51 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate is a Complete Warrior PRC. Ranged Precision basically comes out to "As a standard action, make an attack with a bow you have Weapon Focus in. The attack does +1d8 damage. Stacks with Sneak Attack, if target is also flat-footed or otherwise denied Dex. Range 30' (60' with Extended Precision (OotBI capstone ability))." Modify as you need (like extending the range for your crazy sniper, I'd imagine =p).