PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite dragon?

BenTheJester
2009-06-03, 12:40 AM
This is just for fun; which dragonkind is your favorite?

This includes all the colors, planar, undead, dragonkin, etc

Mine has to be the Rust Dragon from Draconicon. They are like rust monsters on 10 tons of steroids, and god knows how much those are a pain.
They are good looking dragons who just spell decay when you look at them.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-03, 12:43 AM
Good: Bronze.
Evil: Shadow.

I refuse to choose between them.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-03, 12:43 AM
Kobolds. I love an underdog. Though I prefer the non-dragon fluff, most of the time.

Of actual dragons, I prefer chromatic wyrmlings to any specific breed. Something about the adventurers aproaching a nest, full of peaceful sleepiOH GOD IT'S EATING MY FACE!!!

Starscream
2009-06-03, 01:41 AM
I like Bronze Dragons the best, although I think Brass have the coolest looking wings.

Salt_Crow
2009-06-03, 01:43 AM
Steel Dragons are awesome ;)

arguskos
2009-06-03, 01:45 AM
Mine waffles between Shadow Dragons (so... awesome...), Pyroclastic Dragons (OMGLAVAISEATINGMYFACEAUGH), and Tarterian Dragons (living, draconic incarnations of Lawful Evil :smallbiggrin:).

sofawall
2009-06-03, 01:46 AM
Shadow are teh awesome.

If there's a negative energy thing, I'm always down for it, mind you.

JellyPooga
2009-06-03, 02:02 AM
Of the True Dragons, I favour Bronze (mostly for appearances sake)

Of the Planar Dragons, my vote goes with Styx Dragons (dunno why)

Of everything else (and with my highest regard amongst dragon-kind); Psuedodragons...I just love 'em; I really want to play one in a game, but have yet to find a GM that accomodating :smallfrown:

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 02:06 AM
Force or Obsidian.
Closely followed by the Luung Dragons.

horngeek
2009-06-03, 02:10 AM
Gold or Silver Dragons.

Because who do you call when an evil dragon's terrorising your villiage?

No, not the DragonSlayers. A GOOD DRAGON!

FoE
2009-06-03, 02:10 AM
Black. Like my heart. :smalltongue:

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-03, 02:20 AM
Silver <^_^>

To me, they have the most stellar look of all the dragons. They pretty much look like I'd imagine a Dragon with levels in Paladin would look (which I suppose makes sense them being LG and all).

Golds are also quite cool, I like how they're kind of a fusion of Western and Eastern dragon. Still, Silver beats them.

Oh, and while not a True Dragon, I like Dragonnes a fair bit too

Dragonne (http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/images/MM35_PG88b.jpg) It's like a cross between a dragon and a lion <@_@> that's even cooler than owl bears!

Zen Master
2009-06-03, 02:30 AM
A dead one ... I hate dragons.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-03, 02:52 AM
Most campaigns I run I steal the look of Bronze, the stats of Gold and then slap them together and get rid of all the others. One 'Dragon' Specisis is enough for one world in my imagination, especially when you get rid of the pointless colour co-ordinated mindsets.

arguskos
2009-06-03, 02:55 AM
Force or Obsidian.
Closely followed by the Luung Dragons.
Where are Obsidian Dragons found? I know my 3.5 sourcebooks, and can't recall them. :smallconfused:

FMArthur
2009-06-03, 03:04 AM
Cometary Dragon...
Ouroboros, Great-Great-Great Wyrm Cometary Dragon, AKA the Dragon Lord of Time (http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Ouroboros,_Great-Great-Great_Wyrm_Cometary_Dragon)
:smalleek:
After seeing this it became the deity most of my D&D characters worship.

Leon
2009-06-03, 03:13 AM
Lord Toruk

Otherwise:
Chromatic - Blue
Gem - Amethyst
Metallic - Silver

Quasi Dragon - Pseudodragon

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 03:24 AM
Lord Toruk

Man, I love IK.
Changing my answer to Lord Toruk or Everblight now.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-03, 03:42 AM
I always liked Deep Dragons way back in 2E, the 3E version was in Monsters of Faerun and got a 3.5 update (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a). It may have been reprinted in one of the newer FR books, but I'm not sure.

My current favorite would have to be the Steel Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a), with the Corrupt Creature template from BoVD for an evil version.

Pronounceable
2009-06-03, 04:00 AM
The only good dragon is a DEAD dragon. To oblivion with the lot of them.

Hear, hear!

loopy
2009-06-03, 04:09 AM
Silver. My rogue/assassin ended up pretty much adopting them as his totem when he started serving Bahaumut (apologies for the spelling).

Mordokai
2009-06-03, 04:09 AM
Cometary Dragon...
Ouroboros, Great-Great-Great Wyrm Cometary Dragon, AKA the Dragon Lord of Time (http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Ouroboros,_Great-Great-Great_Wyrm_Cometary_Dragon)
:smalleek:
After seeing this it became the deity most of my D&D characters worship.

Oh for fudge sake...

I believe this is the first time I got sick at reading creature description. And I mean actually sick. And coming from a guy that loves strong monsters as much as I do, that says a lot. I mean, I'm really in favor of good and strong monsters, but this... this is just ridiculous. It's... out there... somewhere. And I hope it stays there. If you want to worship it, fine by me. But I prefer to stay with normal, CR 30 and less deities.

On topic, I like silver dragons the best, for reasons presented by mistformsquirrl.

Narmoth
2009-06-03, 04:16 AM
The only good dragon is a DEAD dragon. To oblivion with the lot of them.

A dracolish then? Yeah, I'm sure that would make you happy.

For me:
Puff, I guess. Or maybe Tharos... Nah, I'll go with Puff

Sanguine
2009-06-03, 04:21 AM
A Half-Celestial Great Wyrm Red Dragon with 20 addition levels of Sorcerer and 10 levels of Dragon Ascendant (Of course this is assuming said dragon isn't hostile towards me if it is hostile a psuedodragon.)

Stormageddon
2009-06-03, 04:26 AM
Dracolich! Why be a dragon or a lich when you can be both.

Quietus
2009-06-03, 04:47 AM
Of the true dragons (and all dragons, in fact), Reds are my favorite. Outside of True dragons, Hellfire wyrms are my favorite, but there'd be a hell of a fight to the death between them and Red for that place at the very center of my heart, and I'd be rooting for the Red.

Or, you know, over which one gets to eat my heart. That would be more likely. And yes, I DO like fire.

bosssmiley
2009-06-03, 04:56 AM
#344 - the constructs issue.

Oh, wait. Bronze...or possibly Ormolu (they're more decorative)

AslanCross
2009-06-03, 05:17 AM
Evil: Blue
Good: Bronze (Yes, I like lightning too much)

PrGo
2009-06-03, 06:13 AM
Definitely Gold dragons. They just have the coolest characteristics both physically and mentally. 'nuff said.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-03, 06:42 AM
Red

Its the knight eating engine of fiery death and destruction that a dragon is supposed to be.

And not some skinny snake with legs eastern dragon either.

Thane of Fife
2009-06-03, 06:43 AM
I'm very partial to Amethyst and Mercury Dragons, but I think that the classic Red has to be my favorite.

potatocubed
2009-06-03, 07:09 AM
Emerald!

They're green and psychic. What's not to like?

Eldariel
2009-06-03, 07:30 AM
I love Force Dragons. Just 'cause they're immune to Force-damage. Oh, and they're epic.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-03, 07:34 AM
I really love the Bronze Dragons. A dragon who's highly social and very comfortable in an aquatic setting? Count me in!

They look completely awesome (http://www.freewebs.com/dragowarriors/bronze-dragon.jpg), have a breath weapon that basically says, "I'm bored with you - please go away," and like the rest of good dragons, have an alternate form that makes them even better NPCs. In addition, their temperament makes a justifiable case for them being neutral in alignment which can make them even more interesting NPCs.

One of the best loved/hated NPCs in any game I've ever run was the right-hand man/herald of the lich emperor of the continent's ice cap, a human male spellsword with silver eyes and incredible battle prowess named Yondi Stormhand.
The characters got to know him over several years of adventuring, having a few skirmishes with him which Yondi always seemed to win handily, but let them live with a cheerful smile and encouragement. After two real years of playing, the players had all sorts of theories about who or what Yondi Stormhand was.

Finally, the characters had made it to what they thought was the lich emperor's castle and fought against the emperor and Yondi, and the characters swiftly found themselves in WAY over their heads, as they really had not done their research on the power of the lich (ice lich template, Wizard 10/Loremaster 10/Archmage 5/ Fighter 2, way way waaaay above appropriate CR for 7 player party of 15th level characters) or even his motivations. As the player characters were on the ropes, Yondi convinced his master to let the characters go - they had admirable qualities and were simply misinformed and misled, and perhaps would make strong allies someday. The lich nodded and teleported the players two thousand miles to the South, over a lake.
A week later, as the characters were camped out on the side of the lake, licking their wounds and trying to figure out what went wrong, Yondi walked unarmed into their camp with a small box wrapped in elaborate paper and ribbons.
He said he bore a gift as an offering of peace between the emperor and the PCs, and the multitude of sense motive checks indicated that Yondi was being earnest. The party mage cast detect magic on the present and came up with nothing, but still, they made Yondi open it himself, just in case. He did so cheerfully, revealing a 1' square model of the lich's many-spired ice castle, masterfully crafted out of a single huge piece of white sapphire. The tiny model castle was easily worth 100,000 gp. A small card was signed on the top of the package - "To a new start."
The party's wizard received the gift, and awed, the characters promised to rethink their relationship with the lich. Yondi had a little more conversation with them, complimenting them on their boldness and battle prowess, and then walked out of camp. Just as Yondi was about 150 feet away, the party's rogue took a look at the crystal castle and noticed that there seemed to be something on the bottom - a message? He turned it over and found a quick note pasted to the bottom, again written in Massan's hand. "I would love a new start, but I cannot let your intrusion go unpunished. You ruined many of my toys, and so I shall ruin yours." The message was contained hidden aura triggered Disjunction spell, which detonated after the note was read. 80% of the characters magic items were destroyed, and what's worse, one of the beloved NPCs in the party was an intelligent magical construct. She failed her save against the disjunction spell and fell apart in an explosion of ice.

Hearing the shouts of distress and feeling the wave of magic, Yondi Stomhand turned back to see what happened, and his face immediately broke into a rage and his body rippled as he screamed the name of the lich into the sky, "Massan! You lied to me!" Yondi's scream of rage turned into a bellowing roar, as his human disguise fell away to reveal his true form - a powerful Bronze Dragon Wyrm!
The gargantuan dragon turned his head toward the players with clear remorse saying, "I didn't know... I'm so sorry," and then with a powerful beat of his wings went flying North at maximum warp.

Those characters never saw Yondi again, but he lives on through game cannon and a few decades later in game time was seen again.

J.Gellert
2009-06-03, 07:41 AM
Aside from my homebrewed dragons (which are basically D&D dragons without the color-coding) I love Hellfire Wyrms (because of the art) and Red Dragons (because they are classic).

Also, of course, Lord Jierdan Firkraag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firkraag) - "It is, as they say, your funeral".

Malacode
2009-06-03, 07:47 AM
Chaos and Tartaean (Sp?) dragons are pretty cool, as are the gem dragons. I also -love- the Purple dragons from Dragon Compendium. I managed to convince a DM of mine to allow Draconic feats (Particularly, the Breath weapon one) to allow the Purple Dragon abilities to be picked up by sorcerer PC's. Needless to say, after a few session I was asked to retrain my feats.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-03, 07:51 AM
If I had to choose, I'd say Black Dragons are teh bests. The Silver Dragons are a close second. I'm not sure why on either, but they both are just really cool.

Talya
2009-06-03, 08:22 AM
Brass. After rescuing a small sized baby brass dragon in a campaign i'm playing in, and having the hyperactive little brat following us around (canIpleasepleaseplease?thankyounaraIlikeyou!ooooo shinies!!!!) for a few weeks until we found her a new lair by deposing a shadow dragon, I kinda developed an affection for the things.

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-03, 08:45 AM
Lofwyr, from Shadowrun. Ancient, fearsome, and a master of magic... Whose REAL power comes from his expertise as a businessman, and his ginormous mega-corporation, which allows him international resources to draw upon for his own Keyser-Soze like plans.

There are dragons who are stronger. There are dragons who are more magically powerful. But none of them, NONE of them have as much power in the modern age of Shadowrun as Lofwyr the Gold Master.

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 08:54 AM
Dunkelzahn!
Also Lord Toruk.

Optimystik
2009-06-03, 09:35 AM

This. I'll pick Undead, Outsiders, Constructs, Aberrations... even Pseudonaturals, ANYTHING above dragons.

To paraphrase Black Mage: Their entire physiology is a supermarket of magical components!

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 09:41 AM
So a Pseudonatural Dracolich Effigy then? ;)

Set
2009-06-03, 10:01 AM
Chromatics, in general. I don't use metallic dragons at all. If I want a good dragon, it'll be a chromatic dragon who isn't evil. And make 'em rare. There aren't swamps teeming with black dragon families, or 'dragonflights' or mysterious continents / blood islands across the sea where dragons rule. Instead there is one red dragon known in the world, and he's only known because he rules a kingdom full of fire giants, fire hobgoblins and red-dragon-blooded kobolds.

Instead of pseudodragons, I'd love for there to be a class of dragon below wyrmling that would make cool familiars, complete with tiny little breath weapons (the black dragon might spit the equivalent of a flask of acid as a ranged touch, for instance).

Swooper
2009-06-03, 10:59 AM
I loved the AD&D Monstrous Compendium silver dragon. I hated the 3E Monster Manual silver dragon. Then I went back to loving it when I saw this (http://images.hugi.is/spunaspil/133144.jpg) picture, from the 4E Worlds and Monsters preview book. In the meanwhile I liked bronze dragons, like a lot of you it seems.

TheThan
2009-06-03, 12:41 PM
I loved the AD&D Monstrous Compendium silver dragon. I hated the 3E Monster Manual silver dragon. Then I went back to loving it when I saw this (http://images.hugi.is/spunaspil/133144.jpg) picture, from the 4E Worlds and Monsters preview book. In the meanwhile I liked bronze dragons, like a lot of you it seems.

Pseudodragon is as close you can get by raw, though i like the idea.

For sheer looks I like the Hellfire wyrm from MMII.
For more mundane dragons I like red dragons, the most badass of all the standard issue dragons. I also like the Pseudodragon simply because their cute in a bizarre way, and their catlike nature really lends itself to a small chirping dragon.

I also like clockwork dragons and shivan dragons… oh and furnace whelps.

Morty
2009-06-03, 12:44 PM
Green and Red Dragons. They're the closest to classical dragons from medieval legends, which can't be said about all those other dragons in all colors of the rainbow, all base metals and all alloys imaginable.

Mando Knight
2009-06-03, 04:47 PM
Reds and Golds are my favorite. Golds would be a shoo-in, but I like the WotC's depiction of Reds' wing structure better. And Reds make classic villains.