PDA

View Full Version : Wacky (yet useful) spells you have used.

soylentplaid
2006-04-17, 02:07 PM
A thread like this is probably buried in the archives somewhere, but I'd like to try my very own Highly Popular Thread (HPT). Post any wacked-out, goofy, insane, or cartoony spells you have come up with and actually used in a campaign here. Here's one my evil bard/sorceror (gestalt munchkin campaign I was in...) made up.

Anvil Drop

Conjuration
Level: Wiz/Sor 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: one creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half, fortitude (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a solid iron anvil above the head of a target, imbuing it with tremendous downward velocity. The target takes 1d8 bludgeoning damage per caster level (max 15d8). Additionally, if the target has failed the initial Reflex save, they must make an additional Fortitude save or be knocked prone. The anvil disappears immediately after impact.

Imagine a bard/sorceror using this. Constantly. To the chagrin of more "serious" players. Also imagine me knocking a Large airborne blue dragon to the ground with this spell. On top of the party's barbarian. Needless to say new character rolling ensued, along with laughter.

Amotis
2006-04-17, 02:16 PM
Major Creation does the same thing basically.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-04-17, 02:58 PM
As does Summon Nature's Ally VI. Granted, two levels higher, but when you're only using it to drop an Elephant on your opponent from 50ft. up, I see it as a worthwhile use of the spell.

And the elephant may even survive to continue dropping its own brand of anvils on your foes. Super-cool.

beholder
2006-04-17, 03:00 PM
portable holes are the most kick arse cartoony thing around

Amotis
2006-04-17, 03:03 PM
As does Summon Nature's Ally VI. Granted, two levels higher, but when you're only using it to drop an Elephant on your opponent from 50ft. up, I see it as a worthwhile use of the spell.

And the elephant may even survive to continue dropping its own brand of anvils on your foes. Super-cool.

Can't. This has been discussed here before. You have to have a surface in which to summon 'em.

The_Werebear
2006-04-17, 03:12 PM
I could see a druid setting a trap that way.

Find a cave with a very high ceiling. Build wooden support system around the roof of it. Make one section very, very thin and weak. Wait until the PC's walk under it, and then summon your Dire Hippo. It breaks through and falls 50 feet onto the PC's.

Lot of work, but worth it.

Hungerdog
2006-04-17, 03:14 PM
Well, once I played in the Iron Kingdoms setting, and neutralized a Steamjack by creating a bunch of water just above his smokestack, which ran down into his boiler and quenched the fire. Not a bad bit of effect out of a lowly level 0 spell.

Of course later on, I tried it against a WARjack. Didn't go so well. How was I to know they had a smokestack cover (kinda like the ones on a diesel truck) on this model? Much pain (for me) ensued.

:)

Amotis
2006-04-17, 03:16 PM
I could see a druid setting a trap that way.

Find a cave with a very high ceiling. Build wooden support system around the roof of it. Make one section very, very thin and weak. Wait until the PC's walk under it, and then summon your Dire Hippo. It breaks through and falls 50 feet onto the PC's.

Lot of work, but worth it.

A druid? Isn't that kinda mean to the hippo?

captain_decadence
2006-04-17, 03:21 PM
I did about the same thing as Hungerdog. As a relatively high level cleric, I used create water over the head of an enemy who was casting. As create water adds more and more water per caster level, I was dumping quite a few pounds of water on this persons head. I think it's 2 gallons of water per level, with a 6th level cleric and water weighing in at 8 pounds per gallon. That's 96 pounds randomly falling on someone's head. Granted, it's water but it would still hurt or at least distract the caster.

Sacrath
2006-04-17, 03:23 PM

Ah yes, Summon Monster ethics, thats a huge can of worms that has me very close to swearing off the spell all together.

Also, the Hippo trick won't work, as it clearly states the surface a monster is summoned to must be able to support it. Your wooden planks couldn't as part of the design. However, if you summoned say, a horse or lion, then cast Enlarge Animal it would work.

Fhaolan
2006-04-17, 03:24 PM
Well, once I played in the Iron Kingdoms setting, and neutralized a Steamjack by creating a bunch of water just above his smokestack, which ran down into his boiler and quenched the fire. Not a bad bit of effect out of a lowly level 0 spell.

Of course later on, I tried it against a WARjack. Didn't go so well. How was I to know they had a smokestack cover (kinda like the ones on a diesel truck) on this model? Much pain (for me) ensued.

:)

One of my players always has a create water memorized, and he might even memorize it as quickened if he's being ornery. He uses it like an 'insult to injury' type spell. The villain is monologing? Splash. The villain is still standing after being fireballed? Splash. The villain is dressed to impress? Splash. Anything to piss the villain off so that s/he makes mistakes. :)

Hungerdog
2006-04-17, 03:27 PM
^

Very nice.

It goes to show-never underestimate the usefulness of 0 level spells. Even if just for effect.

Thiel
2006-04-17, 03:51 PM
^
^

I play a gnome wizard who use Prestidigitation in much the same way.
Is the BBEG talking too much? Soil his clothes or make his tongue taste bad.

Gamebird
2006-04-17, 04:05 PM
Coconut Equestrian

Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One quasi-real, Medium size, humanoid creature
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You summon a quasi-real, Medium humanoid creature of any type the caster has a hair from. This being will be carrying a very large pack and will take up the material components of the spell – a pair of coconut halves and two swallow feathers. With these in hand, the being will stand in the 5’ square immediately behind the person whom the caster designates the being to serve. When the humanoid claps together the coconut shells in the rhythmic pattern of horse hooves, the person will be transported forward as per Phantom Steed. The main difference between the spells is that the person does not appear to be riding a steed at all, merely moving their legs in a silly fashion and dictating the direction of movement by holding invisible reins.

Additionally, the coconut clapper can be directed to carry gear and equipment for the “rider”. The spell can carry up to 50 pounds per caster level, but this weight includes the weight of the “rider”. So for a 17th level caster, the coconut clapper can move up to 850 pounds. If the rider weighs 200 pounds, then the clapper can carry an additional 650 pounds.

Extra weight can also take the form of additional creatures, though they must ride on top of the clapper’s oversized pack (they suffer no penalties for doing so, but it looks about as absurd as the “rider” and they have no control over speed or direction). This weight does not affect the clapper’s speed in any way, except that an overburdened clapper is unable to move. An overburdened clapper will fall to the ground and struggle, groaning piteously and perhaps crying out things like “Help! Help! I’m being oppressed!” and “See the oppression inherent in the system!” This will continue until the burden is appropriately lightened.

The clapper has an AC of 18 (+4 natural armor, +4 Dex) and 14 hit points +2 hit point per caster level. If it loses all its hit points, the coconut clapper disappears. The clapper can move with the “rider” at a speed of 20 feet per caster level, to a maximum of 240 feet.

Animals, dire animals and vermin all shun the coconut clapper, for he is a very strange and unnatural creature. They will not attack a coconut clapper; nor will the coconut clapper make any attacks.

The clapper gains additional powers according to caster level. A clapper’s abilities include those of clappers of lower caster levels. All abilities affect the “rider” as well.

8th Level
The coconut clapper can cross over sandy, muddy, or even swampy ground without difficulty or decrease in speed.

10th Level
The coconut clapper can use water walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability) on themselves.

12th Level
The coconut clapper can use air walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability) for up to 1 round at a time. After one round, it falls to the ground ingloriously, as does the rider.

14th Level
The coconut clapper can fly at its speed (average maneuverability).

16th Level
The coconut clapper improves its fly ability to good maneuverability.

18th Level
The coconut clapper improves its fly ability to perfect maneuverability.

The_Werebear
2006-04-17, 04:13 PM

Yeah, but it disapears without being hurt when it would normally die, so no problems there.

Also, the Hippo trick won't work, as it clearly states the surface a monster is summoned to must be able to support it. Your wooden planks couldn't as part of the design. However, if you summoned say, a horse or lion, then cast Enlarge Animal it would work.

Well, summon it onto a sturdy section and order it to move onto the weak section.

Matthew
2006-04-17, 04:19 PM
The 'Summon Cow' cheat code spell from Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale, etc... was hilarious... I have yet to see it used in a pen and paper campaign, but it would be both wacky and useful, so it meets the first criteria...

Summon Cow (Summoning)
Level: 2
Range: Visual range of the caster
Duration: Instant
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 Creature
Saving Throw: None
The spell speaks for itself baby!

Taken from: http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/icewind_dale_items.txt

aoshi961
2006-04-17, 04:31 PM
Ah yes, Summon Monster ethics, thats a huge can of worms that has me very close to swearing off the spell all together.

Hmm. Well, as the Druid is above the person they wish to hit with the Hippo, I'd summon it like this.

Set up a platform suspended by ropes. Make sure this platform suspended by ropes can support the hippo. Summon the hippo onto this platform. Cut the ropes.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-04-17, 05:09 PM
Can't. This has been discussed here before. You have to have a surface in which to summon 'em.

Okay, fine, I'm an idiot. :P

Although I do believe the best spells, in terms of being completely at odds with the caster's ethics, are the Nature's Ally spells. Calling dominated monsters into battle to act as meat shields? Setting up elaborate wooden platform traps to crush enemies under the weight of a Dire Hippo, which will certainly die (and, I know, return to its previous location at full health, no harm done, blah blah hippie protests), pure brilliance.

We need an alternate version of the Nature's Ally spells that kills the summoned animal automatically, after dropping it 200 feet onto an enemy. That way, you really can kill two birds with one stone.

...or, more precisely, crush your enemy under a hippopotamus and piss off every living druid with one spell. There's no downside!

EDIT: I've decided the spell should also broadcast the caster's name and location to every druid in the world as well. Saves you time in locating and killing druids if they all come to you. And then you can cast the spell on each druid that comes!

Brilliance, I am.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-04-17, 05:41 PM
I've always been fond of thunderhead, a 0-level spell from Dragon #302. It conjures a small storm cloud over the targets head. For the next three rounds, the cloud zaps the target with lightning bolts, dealing 1 damage each (Reflex negates).

Amotis
2006-04-17, 05:56 PM
I've always been fond of thunderhead, a 0-level spell from Dragon #302. It conjures a small storm cloud over the targets head. For the next three rounds, the cloud zaps the target with lightning bolts, dealing 1 damage each (Reflex negates).

Haha, awesome. Must use that.