PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for a tank help...

DizzyD
2009-06-03, 08:01 AM
We are starting a new game on Friday and I've built my char but I need a little help with magic Items. I have never been good at choosing magic stuff.

My char is a lvl 5 dwarven battlerager fighter
Stats highest to lowest are: Con, Str, Wis, Dex, Cha, Int
Skills: athletics, Endurance, Intimidate
Feats: Improved Vigor, Dwarven weapon training and dwarf stoneblood
Powers lean towards con damage and charging

I was going to go with a crag hammer, Heavy shield, and scale armor, but I can have other magic Items if you think they would help me. The only one that I thought would be useful is a vanguard crag hammer, since I will probably be charging when applicable. Dwarven scale is nice but There has to be something better and my DM suggested I not get lower level Items.

Oh. I get one 4th lvl, one 5th lvl and one 6th lvl Item.

Thank for the help in advance. I hope this is enough info, but if you need more let me know. suggestions on the build are welcome but I'm pretty sure I'm set with my decisions.

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 08:55 AM
So how much gold do you get or are we using the item level system from MiC?

If so, why those items? None of them are actually magical.
Or is this 4th Ed?

Croverus
2009-06-03, 09:01 AM
He mentioned being a fighter with "powers" its 4ed.

And sounds like gold cost doesn't matter since 4ed worked it so almost all magic items of a certain level cost pretty much the same.

Douglas
2009-06-03, 09:13 AM
I am not aware of any "athletics" or "endurance" skill in 3.5, so yes this is 4e.

4e characters are generally expected to fill the three slots that give enhancement bonuses first, namely weapon, armor, and neck (amulet/cloak). One of these is going to be a plain +2. The other two will be +1 with a special ability. I don't have any specific recommendations right now, but if you have a D&D Insider subscription you can use the compendium (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/database.aspx) to easily browse your options. I just looked for level 4 to 5 armor items, and got 35 results. Some of those can't be put on any kind of armor you're likely to be using, but it's a short enough list skipping those doesn't add much to the time required to look at everything.

DizzyD
2009-06-03, 09:31 AM
Yes its 4e. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I do have a subscription to insider. Thanks for the tip, but really I'm just not good at picking magical items, I guess I just don't know how to weigh the pros and cons of them. Thats why I need your help.

Ashdate
2009-06-03, 11:32 AM
If you're tanking, the things you want the most are items that boost your defenses, and items that boost your hitpoints/healing surges.

Now, before I start, I personally think that Throwing Shield (Adv Vault, lvl 6) is an awesome item for a tank to have; You can use it to mark any enemy within 10 squares for the turn, should you not have a willing target next to you.

Also, I believe that characters starting above 1st also get equivalent money equal to an item of their level -1 (in your case, a 4th level item or 840gp) to spend on items as well, but check with your GM.

Magical armor is a no brainer here; You could get basic +2 armor of your choice (lvl 6 item) or you could go with +1 Dwarven Armor (lvl 2 item) for a little less AC but a free healing surge once per day. I assume you want to use chainmail.

Dipping into the Adventurer's Vault, Agile Armor (lvl 5 item) might be alright if you have at least a +1 Dex modifier, and Armor of Durability (lvl 4) gives you a small bonus to healing surges, Armor of Sacrifice if you want to throw a small amount of help around, and Reinforcing Armor (lvl 4) will help slow the amount of hits you take during a turn.

You'll definitely want a neck piece; a plain old +2 Amulet is of course available (lvl 6). As a tank, mobility is a big concern for you so an Amulet of Physical Resolve (Adv Vault, lvl 2) is a big help. Cloak of the Walking Wounded (Adv Vault, lvl 4) is a good one too, especially since dwarves second wind as a minor action.

Personally, I'd go with a Throwing Shield (lvl 6), Agile Armor (lvl 5), a Cloak of the Walking Wounded (lvl 4) and then use your excess money (840g, again, check with your DM to make sure you're still getting this) and pick up a Belt of Vigor (level 2 item) and a few healing potions, and save your money to get a +1 weapon. Hitting things isn't as important as a fighter, as even if we miss we still mark them. But, that's just how I play em.

Enjoy your game!

- Eddie