PDA

View Full Version : what makes being a dm fun?

darkblust
2009-06-03, 02:40 PM
hey,i was thinking about starting a campaign with my friends,but i am scared that i will have a ton of stuff,which i would have worked hard on,but not like dm-ing.So wat do the dms out there think being is fun about being a dm?thanks in advance.

Morty
2009-06-03, 02:44 PM
Not that I have much experience in running games, but I get most satisfaction from seeing the players enjoy the story I created and seeing it work with real players instead of just notes on paper. Seeing players' reactions to the plot and adjusting it to them is fun too.

Vagnarok
2009-06-03, 02:47 PM
I personally love DMing more than playing. It's different for every DM, but what makes it the most fun for me is that I get to write out an original plot. Then I get to present my adventures to my players and see their reactions, it's a great feeling when I can make other people excited to see what's going to happen next (I can't wait to kill off a well loved character and see their faces twist with sadness and rage at the BBEG). Creativity is a huge part of what makes DMing fun for me.

However, not all DMs like to homebrew as much as I do. For other DMs, it might just be that you get to be highly involved in the gameplay. I certainly enjoy being at the thick of the action all the time. DMing also appeals to people who like to lead. Not to mention that you get to read ahead!

Glyde
2009-06-03, 02:49 PM
I love being able to play NPCs and interact with the players. I like being able to manipulate everything just right so as to extract maximum enjoyment from everybody at the table - It's a really good feeling.

I also love the reactions from the players when I really get their characters and their backstories involved with the game. I do a mini 'interview' with each player about their characters in order to get a good idea for this.

I also really enjoy the creative freedom you get being the DM (Rather than having to ask the DM for permission to do something cool). I tend to think of really obscure things for characters, and if I think of something really neat, I sometimes confront the player about it. However, sometimes I throw them a curveball and have them decide in-character. Of course, the interview comes into play again, so I know what kind of ground I tread.

And a little tip: Be really, really prepared to improvise. Improvising, I find, brings out some of the coolest story elements to a campaign. Surprising even yourself can be fun - Even if it involves scrapping pages of dialogue (I try to avoid writing out conversations, but sometimes it can't be helped.), the change can be incredibly interesting.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-03, 02:50 PM
Personally, I derive a lot of enjoyment from crafting a world my players appreciate, and a plot that interests and challenges them. Try to cultivate a mindset that has the following goals:

--A PC Victory: If you're not happy the PC overcome the encounter, there's something wrong with your DMing style...you're turning the game into a competition, which leaves one side losing. Certainly, some fights the PCs are meant to lose, but these should generally be non-fatal and also serve to advance the plot. If either you or the PCs are mad after an encounter, someone is doing something wrong. Plus, this way leaves both you and your players feeling satisfied after a good encounter.

--Creativity and Adaptation: If the PCs throw something unexpected at you, smile and work with it. PCs derive amusement from throwing off your carefully laid plans...why can't you enjoy adapting to the situation and keeping the encounter challenging? However, never negate a PCs ingenuity unless you have a very good reason. Perhaps they've managed to kill all the kobolds lurking in the pit with some creativity...but maybe then you decide that the Kobold Necromancer in the next room animates them all as skeletons, flanking the PCs with his undead minions. It's fun trying to out-maneuvering them while still keeping in mind the "PC's Win" mentality.

--Just Have Fun: Descriptions, memorable NPCs, intricate plots...think of what you enjoy as a player. Why should you enjoy these things any less on the other side of the screen? Heck...I often just ad-lib when I DM--the PCs don't need to know I'm not following the rules exactly, and it makes encounters and obstacles much more thrilling sometimes. Nothing is worse than seeing your carefully crafted and well role-played villian die to a single save-or-die before his time...so, in the interest of everyone's fun, don't be afraid to cheat for the betterment of the game.

Quietus
2009-06-03, 02:57 PM
When I DM, it's because I want to see the player's reactions. I'm a facilitator by nature; What that means is that I like to make sure everyone is having fun. I read my players, and if at the end of a session I realize someone wasn't entertained, I try to determine why. Sometimes a person's just tired from work, but sometimes I need to tie them into the story more effectively.

Most of all, I like telling stories. I'm a writer by nature, I prefer to take the long look at things (which is why I prefer PbP), and haven't DMed in person for a while.. but am looking at doing so fairly soon, because being kept on my toes should be a great way to come up with some off-the-cuff situations.

shadzar
2009-06-03, 03:26 PM
Seeing all the hard work you put into making and setting the game up for the players destroyed in 2 seconds by something you didn't see coming and the players enjoying the heck out of it, even if they don't destroy your well made plans in only a few seconds.

Creating something fun for others is fun.

kamikasei
2009-06-03, 03:28 PM
Crushing your players, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentation of their women.

Duh.

rokar4life
2009-06-03, 03:52 PM
trying to kill them?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-03, 03:57 PM
Crushing your players, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentation of their women.

Duh.
Gah! I wanted to say that :smallfrown:

Actually, I wanted to say this:
Crushing your PCs, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentation of their players. :smallamused:
Aside from that, my favorite part of DMing is creating a story and then letting other people loose in it. It guarantees someone actually pays attention to my writing :smalltongue:

This is not to say I railroad my PCs; I freely adapt the story (and introduce new elements) as required. Writing an adventure is very much like writing a short story; a campaign can be like writing a novel. True, it takes far less effort to write for an RPG (unless you're making a module) but each activity requires you to be sensitive to plotting, character arcs, and drama.

Doc Roc
2009-06-03, 03:58 PM
I find that masochism makes DMing more fun.

In all seriousness, I'm in it for the hang-out times, and I run a decent world so I'm GM by default.

FoE
2009-06-03, 03:59 PM

Duh.

YOU BASTARD! I WANTED TO MAKE THAT JOKE! :smallfurious:

Sick minds think alike, I guess. :smalltongue:

darkblust
2009-06-03, 04:09 PM
thanks alot guys!!!i think i will try it out,and hopefully it works out well.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-03, 04:18 PM
I think I enjoy creating worlds most. The background, the politics, the cultures, the cities, the nations, the histories, the personalities - and bringing it to life with a wealth of details (and heavy improvisation, written down for reference...) deep enough to drown the players if they start really plumbing it. I want my players to question and explore the setting in any and all directions, and I want to always have an answer ready for them. It can be overwhelming to design this stuff, but it's fun and sometimes rewarding.

Of course, it's also fun to just facilitate other people's fun - doing stuff together with friends.

monty
2009-06-03, 04:25 PM
In my experience, there's nothing quite like seeing that look on the players' face when they come to the sudden realization that they're screwed and can't do anything about it.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-03, 04:29 PM
The very thought of being a veritable GOD at any point I desire is tempting. The real attraction I have is being able to play damn near any concept I can imagine without need to justify it's existence. It's also very challenging to make unique NPCs entertaining enough that the party wants to keep them around.

monty
2009-06-03, 04:43 PM
Also, it gives me something to do with all those characters I build but otherwise would never play.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-06-03, 04:55 PM
Also, it gives me something to do with all those characters I build but otherwise would never play.
QFT

This can get dangerous though. I've actually taken to intentionally un-optimizing such NPCs to reduce the OMGWTFBBQ factor :smalltongue:

FMArthur
2009-06-03, 05:28 PM
It depends on the location. In towns, it's love of RP. In combat, it's a place to use monsters/characters I make that will not see play otherwise (I make too many).

In dungeons, it's all about tricking players into causing their own demise. Sure, you can set up an impossible encounter and devour them without mercy, but that's noninteractive and your players will hate you for doing it to them. But watching them put themselves into an inescapable scenario without your aid is endlessly amusing and leaves only themselves to blame. Nothing is more satisfying than letting the players find their way into a situation where they can choose the obvious solution or cause their deaths, and watching with a polite smile as they unanimously decide to cause their deaths. :smallamused:

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-03, 05:32 PM
Getting to work out these intricate little plots, and then watch them shatter into tiny pieces when the PCs try and handle them. :smallamused:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-03, 05:46 PM
Getting to work out these intricate little plots, and then watch them shatter into tiny pieces when the PCs try and handle them. :smallamused:

This is why I prefer to work on the world. It's useless to try to be a writer of stories if you run games - the plot will never survive contact with the players. So I write the world in as much detail as I can (which includes, funnily enough, writing a whole lot of stories).

Dagren
2009-06-03, 05:58 PM
This is why I prefer to work on the world. It's useless to try to be a writer of stories if you run games - the plot will never survive contact with the players. So I write the world in as much detail as I can (which includes, funnily enough, writing a whole lot of stories).Stories of what's happened in the past though, so they can't break them. Am I guessing right?

Choco
2009-06-03, 06:06 PM
Stories of what's happened in the past though, so they can't break them. Am I guessing right?

He probably means making a sandbox game, with various small "stories" written that will go as planned without PC intervention, and if the PC's want to participate more power to em.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-03, 06:12 PM
the plot will never survive contact with the players.I like the plot not surviving contact with the players.

It keeps me on my toes. :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2009-06-03, 06:14 PM
Crushing the hopes and dreams of your players characters.
Playing extremist personalities of villains who want to destroy the world.
It's all been said, really.

Zanticor
2009-06-03, 06:22 PM
It's a funny combination of always having to be in control and loving to lose all the time. I'm not sure what's the fun in that, but it is! Maybe it's the opportunity to let your shy friends shine while remaining the center of attention? Seems like a weird hobby but quite addictive.

Zanticor

Eldariel
2009-06-03, 06:44 PM
Ever wanted to be the God? Well congrats, now you are.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-03, 06:44 PM
Stories of what's happened in the past though, so they can't break them. Am I guessing right?

He probably means making a sandbox game, with various small "stories" written that will go as planned without PC intervention, and if the PC's want to participate more power to em.

I referred to history, yes; and I usually don't do time travel adventures. (Usually. One of my big FR campaign plans included one...) But yes, how the world goes on around the PCs is interesting to come up with, too.

Glyde
2009-06-03, 06:55 PM
In dungeons, it's all about tricking players into causing their own demise. Sure, you can set up an impossible encounter and devour them without mercy, but that's noninteractive and your players will hate you for doing it to them. But watching them put themselves into an inescapable scenario without your aid is endlessly amusing and leaves only themselves to blame. Nothing is more satisfying than letting the players find their way into a situation where they can choose the obvious solution or cause their deaths, and watching with a polite smile as they unanimously decide to cause their deaths. :smallamused:

Mm, yes. I was going to use a variation or two on this. First example: A big huge puzzle room, with a door on each side. The first thing they see when they enter is the door, and then the puzzle floor. The door isn't locked, and completing the puzzle sets off an alarm.

The second is that they will find a team of assassins. If they don't get spotted, the assassins will enter a portal (If they eavesdrop, they'll get a little hint about time travel.) The assassins are gong back in time to screw stuff up in the past. Maybe not directly harming the characters in the past themselves. If that comes up, then I'd drop hints on sucessful (wisdom?) checks that they're recalling their memories differently.

bosssmiley
2009-06-04, 03:51 AM
hey,i was thinking about starting a campaign with my friends,but i am scared that i will have a ton of stuff,which i would have worked hard on,but not like dm-ing.So wat do the dms out there think being is fun about being a dm?thanks in advance.

Do you enjoy juggling angry cats while unicycling through a minefield, blindfolded? Then DMing may be for you!

Seriously, part of the fun of DMing is setting up all the coolest situations you can imagine (tricks, traps, fight scenes, mysteries, last-minute escapes, journeys to other worlds, etc.) and watching your mates bumble through them wrecking up and looting everything in their path. You get to be Terry Gilliam on the set of "Time Bandits". How is this in any way not awesome and an opportunity to be grabbed with both hands?

Work? Yeah, you can do a lot of it - if you're some kind of crazy damn masochistic fool. But a smart DM knows when to *ahem* 'borrow' ideas from elsewhere and file off the serial numbers. The Internet is your friend here. :smallwink:

If you're worried about volume of workload start simple and gradually add mechanical complexity as you become comfortable with it. The D&D Basic Game or one of the retro-clones (http://jrients.blogspot.com/2008/02/jeffs-incomplete-guide-to-new-retro.html) ("Come to the dark side. We have delicious old-fashioned cookies.") are both a good start for those intimidated by 800+ pages of words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words, words (etc.)

Pronounceable
2009-06-04, 07:22 AM

BAH! I really wanted to say that. Yeah, me and everyone else...

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-04, 08:09 AM
-World Building, from an item to a village to a nation. Create things is fun.

- Run different creatures with different mindset, run the character I want the times I want

- Have people have fun with all of this

- Roll dices without need behind the screen and smile like a Devil or laugh like a Demon

Saph
2009-06-04, 08:18 AM
Knowing that the game will happen and will not fizzle out or be suddenly cancelled without notice.

Really, that's the biggest reason I DM. I'm quite happy to play whenever I can, but there are so very few good, reliable DMs out there. At least if it's me organising the game I know it's going to happen.

- Saph

Kiero
2009-06-04, 08:22 AM
Seeing everyone buzzing with enthusiasm and creativity and riffing in the same direction as each other. Also when they work together seamlessly to overcome problems.

valadil
2009-06-04, 09:29 AM
Things I like about DMing:

Thinking on my feet. Your players will surprise you and you have to react to it.
Entertaining people. It's so very satisfying when your labor of love makes other people happy.
Playing more characters. I think of ideas for characters all the time, but not all of them are PC worthy. I can use all my ideas for amusing characters, and then write them off as soon as they get stale.
Being original. A lot of adventures have been done before, but occasionally you'll figure out something new.

Also, I don't want to be a jerk about it, but could you put a space after your punctuation? It would make your post easier to read.

Epinephrine
2009-06-04, 09:56 AM
I like the plot not surviving contact with the players.

It keeps me on my toes. :smalltongue:

+1

Sometimes frustrating, but always entertaining.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-06-04, 09:58 AM
http://x82.xanga.com/178b44277453434463989/b23851297.jpg

POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-04, 10:02 AM
Smiling like a madman for no other reason than placing fear into the hearts of your players. They assume they're about to die and go into panic mode. Good times.

Also...

http://x82.xanga.com/178b44277453434463989/b23851297.jpg

POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-04, 10:04 AM
I'm not extremely experienced (I've run 4 campaigns total) - but from my time DMing there are two things I've found that make me enjoy it:

1) Storytelling - I write a lot to begin with; I just have one of those overactive imaginations that hasn't really slowed down even as I've gotten older. Needless to say - the only thing more fun than dreaming up crazy stuff, is dreaming up crazy stuff and showing it to other people. Doing so in an interactive fashion is even more enjoyable; because you're able to get realtiem feedback and adjust things that need adjusted. (It's also a challenge)

2) Satisfied players - If my players are happy, and none of us are bored, then that's a win for me. It tells me I'm doing my job right; and really, there's not much more satisfying for me than knowing I'm doing something right.

That said, it depends - every DM is different, and some people find out they don't like DMing at all.

Shadowbane
2009-06-04, 03:23 PM
I love roleplaying, and when I DM the game it's very roleplay heavy. I get to roleplay all the NPCs, and with my writer's mind and everything it can get pretty badass pretty fast. At least for the players.

Frosty
2009-06-04, 05:52 PM

Duh.

Your players have women?

Hawriel
2009-06-05, 01:53 AM

Duh.

Especialy when your players say it was one of the best game days ever.