PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Yuan-ti? WHAT!?

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 03:17 PM
Well, in a recent post by my DM of my first ever PbP game (I'm relatively new to the game, but I'm not half bad), it turns out that my amnesiac human barbarian is actually a Yuan-ti in disguise.

Not just any Yuan-ti, but a Yuan-ti abomination, which is rather funny as my character is the "stupidest" of the group (Int 10). In a massive battle between our party (with the town's guard) and an army of Deadly Dancers, my character was surrounded and killed.

Somehow (I'm not sure how it happened), my character turned into a Yuan-ti abomination, scaring away the Dancers (using Aversion). It then set upon the rest of my party, who managed to kill it, at which point it turned back into my character, alive and relatively well (albeit asleep). The battle is still going at this point, but almost over with reinforcements only a stone's throw away.

So any ideas as to what in Nine Hells happened?

wadledo
2009-06-03, 03:22 PM
Your DM is *ucking with you.

Croverus
Baleful Polymorph? Wish spell? DM is a sadist?

shadzar

Sounds like the incredible hulk. You appeared human until you got mad or something and then your yuan-ti blood took over and changed you? :smallconfused:

Were you wearing purple shorts when it happened?

Adumbration
You got bitten by a were-yuan-ti abomination? :smallbiggrin:

I have no idea.

Gorbash
2009-06-03, 03:33 PM

Your DM played KOTOR too much?

Reptilius
2009-06-03, 03:35 PM
A quickly thrown-together way to keep the monsters from gutting the rest of the party now that the meat shield is dead?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-03, 03:36 PM
A quickly thrown-together way to keep the monsters from gutting the rest of the party now that the meat shield is dead?

Yeah, this is my vote. This is what it sounds like.

woodenbandman
2009-06-03, 03:45 PM
Hey at least you don't lose a level.

Keld Denar
2009-06-03, 03:52 PM
DM Ex Machina (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina)???

I think so.

The Tygre
2009-06-03, 03:52 PM
Dude, roll with it. If you die again, you might come out as an Anathema next time. :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 04:23 PM
Dude, roll with it. If you die again, you might come out as an Anathema next time. :smallbiggrin:

My friend and I were joking about how people have to kill me three times before I die.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure my DM is just screwing with me. He's a wonderful DM, and I kind of deserved this for not figuring out a history, which is why my character is amnesiac.

averagejoe
2009-06-03, 04:27 PM
Your DM played KOTOR too much?

Sounds more like the Slayer transformation in Baulder's Gate II.

Maybe your character is secretly the son of a god? A yuan-ti god?

darkblust
2009-06-03, 04:30 PM
i think it was a curse,or perhaps it was a complex illusion?i do enjoy illusions:smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-06-03, 04:37 PM
See, this is why you write a detailed backstory.

But remember: Orphan. Everyone you know but the party dead, and that's confirmed beyond the shadow of a doubt.

That way, the DM has nothing on you.

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 04:43 PM
See, this is why you write a detailed backstory.

Like I said; this was my first game EVER.

No way it was an illusion. The Yuan-ti side had Yuan-ti abilities ONLY the abomination has (Aversion, acid skin) that affected the rest of the party in the way only something in its actual form can do.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-03, 04:45 PM
My friend and I were joking about how people have to kill me three times before I die.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure my DM is just screwing with me. He's a wonderful DM, and I kind of deserved this for not figuring out a history, which is why my character is amnesiac.

Erm... no offense, but this doesn't sound like "a wonderful DM" to me. Sounds like someone who's god-modding in the extreme. I mean, okay, if there's a plot reason for your character to turn into a yuan-ti abomination, that's all fine and dandy, but for the love of little green apples that is the kind of thing a good DM clears with the player. You don't spring stuff like that on a player mid-combat... especially since I'm assuming the DM seized control of your character while you were all yuan-ti-ifed. If he wants it to be some big mystery about why your character is like this and all, fine, cool, could be an interesting story, but to unilaterally make that decision about your character is kind of a d*ck move.

The DM has nigh-infinite power, but it's your character. You should get some say in who they are.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-03, 04:59 PM
It may be a Deus Ex Machina to keep your character alive.

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 05:20 PM
It may be a Deus Ex Machina to keep your character alive.

Not really. He's killed plenty of others in the game so far. That and he's quite willing to let the rest of the party decide whether or not I live.

As far as I can tell, it really is for plot reasons. Granted, I'm still baffled, but like I said, it's my own fault for not writing some sort of history. I honestly can't complain.

That and I think it's kinda cool, if I can figure how it works. He's kept my history a secret from me, and honestly, I've been fine with that. He's promised I will find out eventually, though now it's gotten frustrating. It does help with the role-playing aspect, though, which is what I really enjoy.

Other than this, though, he really is a wonderful DM, though I mean so in terms of cleverness. I certainly could never make a Yuan-ti out of a barbarian planning to go on dragon lord.

Starbuck_II
2009-06-03, 05:32 PM
You got bitten by a were-yuan-ti abomination? :smallbiggrin:

I have no idea.

This works.

A Were Yuan-ti can totally do it.

As an aside:
I've figured Mr. Hyde as a Were Orc (Dr. Jerkyl is a human of course)

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 05:37 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a were-Yuan-ti.

Reason being that when I was killed in abomination form, I reverted back to human form and was still alive. I'm pretty sure dead lycanthropes stay dead, regardless of form.

Coidzor
2009-06-03, 05:43 PM
Yeah, see, that doesn't justify anything. Since if you turn into something and are killed as it, you're dead. So it's DM fiat that brought you back from that. So, mechanically there's not a whole lot to go on.

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-03, 05:44 PM
Erm... no offense, but this doesn't sound like "a wonderful DM" to me. Sounds like someone who's god-modding in the extreme. I mean, okay, if there's a plot reason for your character to turn into a yuan-ti abomination, that's all fine and dandy, but for the love of little green apples that is the kind of thing a good DM clears with the player. You don't spring stuff like that on a player mid-combat... especially since I'm assuming the DM seized control of your character while you were all yuan-ti-ifed. If he wants it to be some big mystery about why your character is like this and all, fine, cool, could be an interesting story, but to unilaterally make that decision about your character is kind of a d*ck move.

The DM has nigh-infinite power, but it's your character. You should get some say in who they are.

Well, he was already unconcious and effectively out of the encounter, so it's not quite 'taking over his character', per say. Still, it could go either way.

The Amnesiac isn't called Seth, by any chance is he? >_>

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 05:48 PM
Well, he was already unconcious and effectively out of the encounter, so it's not quite 'taking over his character', per say. Still, it could go either way.

Yeah, I was unconscious at least.

But no, his name is Roth, not Seth.

Choco
2009-06-03, 06:14 PM

This sounds like something I would do. Not to be a total jerk, but because if my players make amnesiacs, they are effectively giving me 100% authority to do whatever I want with their characters' pasts, including "big reveals" like they are really demons banished from hell who have been reincarnated into humans or something. In my experience that is WHY players create amnesiac characters, because it is fun figuring out "inconvenient" truths about yourself. This is not only good for RP, but keeps them on their toes too.

All things considered, he thought of a fun way to keep the OP's character in the game after he died, what's wrong with that? DM's are supposed to improvise, and that sometimes means overstepping the rules in the name of fun.

chiasaur11
2009-06-03, 06:28 PM
Like I said; this was my first game EVER.

No way it was an illusion. The Yuan-ti side had Yuan-ti abilities ONLY the abomination has (Aversion, acid skin) that affected the rest of the party in the way only something in its actual form can do.

Just a friendly (and mainly for humor rather than advisory purposes) tip for the future.

Woodsman
2009-06-03, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured.

I also have a strange habit of either estranging or killing off all the people in my past now. Makes for better characters, I suppose.

But my DM has now stated that every other character is going to get some sort of surprise relating to their past. Mine just happened to be sooner and pretty damned shocking.

woodenbandman
2009-06-03, 07:22 PM
I have a player who has an amnesiac character. He actually gave me some backstory, though. He remembers his close friends, his name, and his mortal enemy. In his dreams his is the prince of a far-off land.