PDA

View Full Version : My spell

yilduz
2009-06-03, 05:17 PM
I was thinking about spells that would work well for a rogue/wizard, and I thought about this. First of all, do you guys think this is too broken to be used? If not, what level would you put on it? Also, what school would you say it is? I was thinking transmutation, but I'm not sure. In any case, what do you think of it?

Misleading Attacker
School?
Level - Sorcerer/Wizard ?
Components - V, S
Casting Time - 1 standard action
Range - touch
Duration - 1 round/2 levels

Once per round, for the duration of the spell, one of your attacks can be made as though you've feinted the target of the attack. This spell lasts one round per two caster levels.

shadzar
2009-06-03, 05:21 PM
Assuming this is for D&D(?), which edition?

Trodon
2009-06-03, 05:22 PM
Probably 3.5 i would put it at level 1-3 or 4

weenie
2009-06-03, 05:30 PM
I'd say enchantment(mind affecting), put a will save on it and make it lvl1. It's really not that good.

Take a look at the Phantom threat spell from Complete warrior for comparison.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-03, 05:44 PM
3.5, right? Make it Illusion; specify that it doesn't work against a non-intelligent (Int 0) creature; level 1.

JellyPooga
2009-06-03, 05:49 PM
There's already the Distract Assasilant (IIRC) spell from Complete Adventurer which causes the target to be flat-footed for one round. That's a Level 1 spell which is cast as a Swift action. Your version functionally does a little less but for longer, but I think the 'longer' part of that carries more weight, so I'd peg it a Level 2 myself.

yilduz
2009-06-03, 05:50 PM
Wow, I had no idea it would be so bad. :smalltongue:

I thought it was cool. As a level 1 spell, I'd take it. :smallbiggrin:

Also, that Phantom threat spell is pretty cool. I like that, too. :smallbiggrin:

It's for 3.5, by the way, sorry about that.

There's already the Distract Assasilant (IIRC) spell from Complete Adventurer which causes the target to be flat-footed for one round. That's a Level 1 spell which is cast as a Swift action. Your version functionally does a little less but for longer, but I think the 'longer' part of that carries more weight, so I'd peg it a Level 2 myself.

Wow, I just looked into that one. There are a ton of nice spells in there. I like a lot of them. Thank you. :smallwink:

shadzar
2009-06-03, 06:14 PM
Wow, I had no idea it would be so bad. :smalltongue:

I thought it was cool. As a level 1 spell, I'd take it. :smallbiggrin:

Also, that Phantom threat spell is pretty cool. I like that, too. :smallbiggrin:

It's for 3.5, by the way, sorry about that.

I don't think it is a bad spell, just didn't know which edition you were going for yet to comment on it. Also haven't read all the 3.5 spells as other have to note any similar, but have read the wizards spell compendiums from 2nd and boy are there too many spells there!

Better way to write Duration int he future though, if you are no longer wanting help with this spell specifically.....

Duration: Caster level/2 rounds

Good luck with other spells. Making his own spells are what makes each caster special amongst the tidal wave of all players. :smallsmile:

yilduz
2009-06-03, 06:21 PM
I don't think it is a bad spell, just didn't know which edition you were going for yet to comment on it. Also haven't read all the 3.5 spells as other have to note any similar, but have read the wizards spell compendiums from 2nd and boy are there too many spells there!

Better way to write Duration int he future though, if you are no longer wanting help with this spell specifically.....

Duration: Caster level/2 rounds

Good luck with other spells. Making his own spells are what makes each caster special amongst the tidal wave of all players. :smallsmile:

Thank you. That was my first attempt at writing a spell. I haven't even shown this one to my DM yet. I think I'll make some changes according to the suggestions here and see what he says. I plan to write a lot of my own spells.

lsfreak
2009-06-03, 06:21 PM
Distract Assailant:
- Will save
- Allows you to unload a string of attacks
- Flat-footed helps you allies as well

Misleading Attacker
- Seems to be a buff offering no save
- Can give it to another character
- No more than once/rnd
- Useful if you are facing multiple opponents, since their death doesn't end it
- Less useful because you can't control when the duration is; if someone gets into flanking position the usefulness is lost

I'd say it would probably be a strong level 1 or one of the weaker level 2. Due to the wording, it can't be used with the beguiler to increase the DC of their spells; if it could it's one of those odd spells that would warrant 2-3 levels higher for a single class.