PDA

View Full Version : Trying out a build, need help

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-04, 01:57 AM
Okay, I'm wanting to make a versatile Warlock. Yea, I know, a Lock is even less versatile than a Sorcerer... or is he?

You see, I'm looking at going from Warlock5/Chamelion2/Warlock7. Basically, he's got 12 levels of Warlock and 2 levels of Chamelion. Why? Combine Imbue Item with a feat which can be any of the Magic Item Craft feats, and you have a character who can make literally any item in the game. And use them with the ability to take 10 on any UMD check. So he can make scrolls of whatever spell he wants to, and use them in combat effectively. It's like the best part of being Schrodinger's Wizard plus all of the all-day-long blastiness of being a Warlock.

This character can even break the game worse than a Batman Wizard, because he doesn't need a copy of the spell to begin with. So if the GM keeps saying "Nope, sorry, you can't find that spell anywhere, and no wizard is willing to let you copy it", then you simply make your mutable feat be Scribe Scroll, automatically make a UMD check by taking 10 on it, and make the darn scroll anyways. If anything, this guy synergies infamously well with a Batman Wizard, because with him in tow, there is LITERALLY no spell he cannot have in his spellbook, barring GM fiat. If there wasn't a rule about Cohorts not being able to craft things that require xp cost, I'd say he's the ultimate Leadership Cohort for a Batman Wizard.

However, I'm wondering what else to do with Warlock. I mean, they really don't have a whole lot going for them other than invocations, but there really isn't any good PrC's I can immediately think of off hand that advances invocations known that this character can qualify for that would be worth it.

I was kinda trying to avoid the Hellfire Warlock, because I don't want a level of Binder, and don't want to bother with mitigating all the Con damage.

All the theurge-type classes require too many levels in other things that the Chameleon class specifically does NOT qualify for purposes of PrCing (otherwise, it would be pretty broken).

The good-aligned PrC for Warlocks doesn't advance invocations known.

Should I just go with more warlock?

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-04, 02:47 AM
Yeah, you should go full Warlock. Either that, or try seeing if you can work something with the Chameleon levels. The Eldritch Blast feature won't be as strong as that of a full Warlock, but you'll have decent spellcasting and the floating feat which you don't have to use specifically on item creation feats (remember that you qualify for effects that affect ranged attacks, such as Precise Shot and Point Blank Shot, in case you feel a need for it; most usually, you want something else there)

I'd personally go for either Warlock 12/Chameleon 8 or Warlock 18/Chameleon 2. The ability boon is excellent for your character's Charisma. Another choice, although perhaps out of flavor, would be Spellwarp Sniper, but unfortunately neither your invocations nor the Chameleon spellcasting help you on that. Perhaps if your DM rules in favor of it (hardly unlikely), the very class boosts strongly your eldritch blast (as eldritch blasts are rays, which is what the spellwarp sniper specializes at) Recall that, so as long as you qualify for the prestige class, if it says "+1 to spellcasting level", it counts as a warlock level (for purposes of eldritch blast damage, new invocations and whatnot). Anything that enhances spell-like abilities also works (as all of your invocations are effectively spell-like abilities)

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 03:35 AM
You see, I'm looking at going from Warlock5/Chamelion2/Warlock7. Basically, he's got 12 levels of Warlock and 2 levels of Chamelion. Why? Combine Imbue Item with a feat which can be any of the Magic Item Craft feats, and you have a character who can make literally any item in the game. And use them with the ability to take 10 on any UMD check. So he can make scrolls of whatever spell he wants to, and use them in combat effectively. It's like the best part of being Schrodinger's Wizard plus all of the all-day-long blastiness of being a Warlock.

Let's get some RAW cites about making scrolls of spells you don't know, and in fact, cannot know.

Also, if you mention batman as an archetype of broken again, I'm going to start hounding you like a cyborg canine in heat.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-06-04, 03:41 AM
Let's get some RAW cites about making scrolls of spells you don't know, and in fact, cannot know.

Also, if you mention batman as an archetype of broken again, I'm going to start hounding you like a cyborg canine in heat.Do you use robot animal simile all the time? Because I like it.

MisterSaturnine
2009-06-04, 03:41 AM

Also, if you mention batman as an archetype of broken again, I'm going to start hounding you like a cyborg canine in heat.

Imbue Item (Su): A warlock of 12th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat)...

...He can substitute a Use Magic Item check (15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn't know or can't cast.

From the Complete Arcane (snipping courtesy me).

I'm far from an expert on the rules, but from what I understand, it says pretty explicitly that he can craft a magic item with only the feat required to do so. That seems to apply for Scribe Scroll just as it would any other item creation feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-04, 10:42 AM

I'm not saying the Batman Wizard archetype is broken, I said, or rather simply implied, that it can break the game. Which it most certainly can. A way the GM uses to limit this is to restrict which spells he can get access to. A Warlock, with the above linked ability at 12th level completely bypasses this.