PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Spells based on Character level

koeldflare
2009-06-04, 02:35 AM
Hey playgrounders I have a quick question. Is there any spells in 3.5 that are cast, with the numerical or special abilities of the spell based on character level instead of caster level?

I ask this because in my current group there is a Cleric/Sorc who said that the number of missiles cast using magic missile is based on character level. After quickly shutting him down I noticed that in 3.0 it looks like it indeed was based on character level.

So any spells in 3.5 that are based on Character level? If so can you list the spell and book please?

-Koeld

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-04, 02:50 AM
By strict reading of the SRD, Magic Missile is affected by caster level, not by character level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm). That is, of course, if you ARE using 3.5 (as I'm assuming you are).

So far, I haven't seen any spell that increases based on character level; ALL spells whose dice amount or damage depends on a number usually refer to caster level, if not all.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-06-04, 03:16 AM
This piqued my curiosity, so I opened up my 3.0 PHB. It seems like they intentionally made magic missile based on character level from the precise wording. I wonder why it was made that way, and I wonder why they changed it.

FMArthur
2009-06-04, 06:48 AM
Practiced Spellcaster from Complete Arcane can raise your caster level by four (up to your number of hit dice). It's a feat and not a spell, but I'm posting this in case you don't know about it since it helps all spells to do what you're asking.

Kristoss
2009-06-04, 06:53 AM
Off the top of my head all I can think of is Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm). Which gives you a Base attack equal to your Character Level.
This spell is probably the exception to the rule as it actually augments a base stat.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-04, 08:56 AM
Tenser's Transformation works the same way as Divine Power, as does Megalodon Empowerment (Stormwrack). Visage of The Deity (Spell Compendium) has its smite evil power based on character level.

Also Detect Evil/Good/Chaos/Law and Detect Undead have possible backlash based on the caster's character level, as does Detect Aberration (Lords of Madness).

The 3rd level Ranger spell Arrow Storm (Spell Compendium) has the number of attacks based on character level.

Jack_Simth
2009-06-04, 05:29 PM
Polymorph effects give the target HP as per a night's rest - which is based on hit dice, not caster level. Additionally, most polymorph effects are capped based on the target's hit dice, in addition to being capped based on the spell's caster level. Dismissal's save DC is based on the hit dice of the target and the caster's caster level.