PDA

View Full Version : Explaining Blue Hair

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 11:49 AM
In a campaign I'm in, I play a character that's of a race that looks almost human, but possess trademark blue hair. Since we're in a world that's predominantly human (many of which aren't too keen on strange people), I've been thinking of reasons to explain it.

But not in a serious sense.

Whenever some NPC makes a comment about my character's hair (which he's too stubborn to cover up or dye), he loudly exclaims offense at the NPC in question. What I need some help with, are some ideas for why someone would have blue hair, preferably in a way that makes them sensitive about their condition. Obviously, these are flat-out lies, but they end up being pretty funny. So far, I've got:

"What? It's a fungus and I'm kind of sensitive about it."
"Yeah, that's right. I've got arcane poisoning from my village's river. Got a problem?"
"You got a problem with blue? Not red enough for you, huh? Huh?!"
Oh, and I'm changing my reason every time I get asked. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Kylarra
2009-06-04, 11:55 AM
Calling it some sort of magical backlash/prank should do the trick, presuming that magic is common enough for that to be logical.

Glyphic
2009-06-04, 11:56 AM
I'd make up a new story every time.

Serpentine
2009-06-04, 11:57 AM
Greater Rod of Wonder could do it - could be attached to other painful memories, too.

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 11:57 AM
I'd make up a new story every time.That's what I'm doing, for optimal hilarity. Apparently I left that out of the original post :smallconfused:

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-04, 11:58 AM
Azurin could pull it off, though the blue is usually in the eyes. Magic of Incarnum.

If you really want to go overboard though, Duskling. Thing Sonic the Hedgehog, only awesome and taller.

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 11:59 AM
Azurin could pull it off, though the blue is usually in the eyes. Magic of Incarnum.

If you really want to go overboard though, Duskling. Thing Sonic the Hedgehog, only awesome and taller.Sorry, but...what? You mean claiming to be an Azurin or a Duskling?

Friv
2009-06-04, 12:00 PM
"My great-great-grandfather married a sea nymph. This is all the heritage that's still in our bloodline."

"Blue? Huh? HOLY CRAP MY HAIR IS BLUE AAGH AAGH!"

(variation on the above)

"No, it's black."

"It got dyed from spending too much time outdoors under blue skies."

Kylarra
2009-06-04, 12:01 PM
Magical Plague (don't worry it's not contagious :smallwink:)
Deck of many things
Cursed by a god
STD from sleeping with a nymph (also not contagious)
side effect of too many CLW potions
side effect of drinking too many potions
"what blue? my hair is black :smallconfused:"

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-04, 12:01 PM
"What the heck are you talking about, my hairs red you moron"

"you call blonde blue here?

"yeah well my mom liked blueberries, what can i say

" It involved a butter churn, a gris mill, and a spoon. Lets leave it at that

" lets just say that the druids where I'm from do NOT like people picking the berries there, ok?

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 12:02 PM
HilarityYeesss :smallbiggrin:

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-04, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but...what? You mean claiming to be an Azurin or a Duskling?

No, I mean actually using the race (claiming to be an Azurin is easily doable, but claiming to be a Duskling is damn near impossible).

Alternatively, being a Changling could do it. You know, Minor Shapechange?

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 12:06 PM
No, I mean actually using the race (claiming to be an Azurin is easily doable, but claiming to be a Duskling is damn near impossible).

Alternatively, being a Changling could do it. You know, Minor Shapechange?Nah, I'm already playing a race with blue hair. I'm looking for ways to explain it in-character as my character feigns offense whenever asked about it.

Kylarra
2009-06-04, 12:08 PM
Tell them it's the legacy of your brother who slaughtered your entire extended family and now you're struggling to gain enough power to avenge them all. :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 12:09 PM
Tell them it's the legacy of your brother who slaughtered your entire extended family and now you're struggling to gain enough power to avenge them all. :smallbiggrin:Snap, that's totally something the character would say :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2009-06-04, 12:09 PM
Claim its basically a mood ring with the final statement "Be glad its blue right now..."

"Well, we were camping a few yards away from this strange mushroom patch. During the night we were attacked by some weird little blue things. I rolled over some as I got up and I can't wash them out of my hair."

"Its not blue, its green! Are you smoking halfling pipe weed?"

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-04, 12:10 PM
Nah, I'm already playing a race with blue hair. I'm looking for ways to explain it in-character as my character feigns offense whenever asked about it.

Ask yourself this: What would Richard do? (http://lfgcomic.com/)

Tengu_temp
2009-06-04, 12:14 PM
"Have you heard how too much of a certain activity makes you blind? Well, that's not true - it makes you see others' hair as blue."

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 12:16 PM
"Have you heard how too much of a certain activity makes you blind? Well, that's not true - it makes you see others' hair as blue."I'm not sure how to respond :smalleek:

Croverus
2009-06-04, 12:16 PM
Prestidigitation
V used it once to clean some monster slime off himself
It also can change the color fo things, perform minor tricks, and warm up/cool down stuff, and its a spell that every sinlge wizard learns at lv 1 (its a freggin cantrip!)

Though changing the color of your hair normally lasts 1 hour, it can be made permanent.

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-04, 12:17 PM
:smallbiggrin: Claim you soak it in the blood of some strange creature each day as part of your battle-ritual. I always play red-haired characters, and that one is priceless with the right tone of voice.

DarknessLord
2009-06-04, 12:19 PM
"I've never really thought about it. Why is your hair brown?"

"Well, see, when a blue haired man and a blue haired woman, really love each other...."

*cast glibness* "No it's not."

"It's TEAL you ignorant fool!"

Zeful
2009-06-04, 12:19 PM
Another thing you could do is to claim your hairs a different color every time it comes up:
"You have an interesting hair color..."
"Yes, my mom decided she wanted a redhead when I was seven, I never fully recovered."
"But it's blue..."
"Are you daft, my hair is black!"
"but you just said..."
"Fine I admit it, my hair is green. Are you happy now!?"
"C-can we please get drop the subject?"

Telonius
2009-06-04, 12:21 PM
Tragic accident involving Marvelous Pigments, a failed reflex save, and a Permanency spell being researched in the vicinity.

Taken an Oath of Blueness. It's given me years of happiness and the favor of the gods. For a small fee, I'll help you do the same.

A wandering Wizard gave me a choice of curses. My hair would turn blue, or it would fall out. I'm happy with my choice.

LibraryOgre
2009-06-04, 12:22 PM
You can't explain it with hair dye?

Eldariel
2009-06-04, 12:22 PM
"What, blue? You should probably lay off the drugs." Obviously not something to use when there are multiple observers present.

"Come on, I was frozen solid for a 100 years! Don't you think I've been through enough without you remarking what it did to my hair?"
"Some god decided I was a bit too hot-headed. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it lest you'd want the same?"
"Its blueness is the only reason you're still alive."
"It's a friggin' wig, you doofus!"

Lappy9000
2009-06-04, 12:23 PM
You can't explain it with hair dye?Exclaiming, "I dye it," doesn't exactly procure the type of reaction I'm looking for.

Drider
2009-06-04, 12:33 PM
Blue? What is this strange word you are saying, and what does it mean? I only speak quite a small bit of the common tongue.

Bring a cat, and start making baby sounds to the cat, if they interupt you, throw the cat at their face.

Dogmantra
2009-06-04, 12:34 PM
"I was cursed by an evil wizard. Unfortunately for him he was just an apprentice who had somehow got hold of a scroll of permanency. He decided to permanently change my hair blue."

Mando Knight
2009-06-04, 12:35 PM
"Well, why don't you have blue hair?"
"What, you're jealous of it?"
"You gotta have blue hair!" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouGottaHaveBlueHair)

Zaq
2009-06-04, 12:41 PM
"So yeah, you know how some people manifest sorcerer powers at puberty? Turns out that's not the only possible scenario."

"The color of my hair matches the color of the soul of the person who sees it. Have you talked to your cleric about that?" (This one can be taken in either a "medical advice" sense or a "spiritual advice" sense, and it's funny either way! Ambiguity!)

"It's... a reminder of an incident in college. We'll leave it at that."

"Wait, you mean you didn't know?!" (Follow this with sputtering surprise and absolute refusal to tell the person what you're talking about. Add in some "no, no, you have to find out for yourself... oh, you poor dear" type remarks to taste.)

"My mother was paranoid about losing track of me in a crowd, and it turns out my uncle's caster level was just a little bit too high..."

"Blue? Yes, my hair is blue. Remember this blue, for it is the shade of destiny!"

"Aw, you noticed?! The guys at the store promised me it looked totally natural and that no one could tell the difference!"

"Word of advice: Always make sure your illusionist buddy has plenty to occupy himself with. A bored wizard is dangerous."

"Yeah it looks silly, but it gives me a +2 on initiative, so it's worth it."

"Everyone keeps telling me that. What do you actually mean? No one has ever been able to explain this to me. Talk me through it, slowly."

"It is a reminder of the heavy burden I carry; a reminder of my sworn duty to <INSERT RANDOM QUEST-TYPE SPIEL HERE>."

"I lost a bet with a gnome, now shut up and focus on the task at hand."

"It offsets my eyes and matches my shoes perfectly, don't you think? Sure, it's a penalty on Disguise checks, but looking this cute is worth it!" (Yes, this works for either gender.)

"Oh, this isn't my hair. It's the traditional helmet worn by my people. Y'ever been on a hunting expedition in Limbo? Man, I'll have to tell you about that sometime, but you're buyin'."

"It's blue? Goddammit, not again."

"Yeah, it's just my time of the month. I'm a were-Duskling."

"Elves." (One word. All you need.)

"All I can say is, some gods have more of a sense of humor than others."

"It turns out that <INSERT SCARY, POSSIBLY NONEXISTENT FLYING CREATURE HERE> can't actually see you if you look blue from above. Ever since my sister was snatched up by one not ten feet away from me, I've worn it like this as a precaution."

"You're really behind the times, aren't you? This is all the rage in Sigil right now."

"This isn't hair. It's my familiar. He likes to sleep on my head. Don't wake him up, ok?"

"Oh, you see it as blue too? Interesting... I'm so sorry, though. When did it happen?"

"Oh come on, all the great heroes have a distinctive feature! I based this off of <INSERT LEGENDARY HERO HERE>! He's so cool, I wanna be just like him!"

...How's that for a start?

Jarawara
2009-06-04, 12:41 PM
"It's a friggin' wig, you doofus!"

Heh. This quote is best saved for if you ever come across a blue wig. Wear the wig, and to the first person you ask 'why blue', say "It's a friggen' wig, you doofus!", and then promptly take off the wig and give it to them, and walk on without further explanation!

*~*

Another idea: Person comes up to you in the street, asks you "Why is your hair blue?" Stop, look half-surprised, glance up at the showing locks of hair (or pluck a hair to examine it), and then with an exasperated frustration yell out the name of the party's resident halfling (or closest equivalent). "Belkar!!!!" Then turn to chase him down -- it works best if Belkar knows to snicker and run when you come after him. No further explanation is needed to the onlookers.

TheThan
2009-06-04, 12:47 PM
It’s not blue, its Indigo.

We were in this enchanted forest, where arcane magic goes awry; this is the results of casting a cantrip… I’m lucky I didn’t cast a higher level spell.

Next time a pixy asks you out on a date, don’t stand her up.

Great grandfather was a blue dragon.

Gnomish pranks… you should have seen what happened to his hair.

It’s not blue, its just a little cold.

I thought it would be amusing to see people’s reactions.

Why? Why not?

Animefunkmaster
2009-06-04, 12:48 PM
"Why does everyone keep saying that? Is there a sign on my back, saying make fun of the color blind kid? Or are you just being a jerk?"

"I woke up just in time for this critter to attach itself to my head. I can't seem to get rid of it."

"OK I GET IT! MY FATHER WAS A CRAYON! HAPPY!"

"Are you asking if the curtains match the carpet...? I don't swing that way."

"Funny story that. So I was sitting in the forest, warm for that time of year and this happy looking flower looked up at me. I say happy, but it had no face, but its eyes clearly looked in my direction. I was sipping tea. Its customary for people (choose your gender here) to sip tea and eat sandwiches in the winter, but not usually in the forest, and rarely with flower staring at them so intently. So I decided to leave, I was getting very sleepy.

The next morning I was making breakfast. I say making breakfast but what I was really doing was reheating dinner the night before. Needless to say the pasta didn't taste as good as the night before and I remember thinking about going to the market for bread, so that I too may make sandwiches. My son came in drenched in sweat, which wasn't uncommon living in the urban city during summer. He said he saw the most beautiful girl, which was strange for he could not see.

I was a great man in my tribe, the chief called me one who is big, in a big way, but not tall. I had no family, no friends, and it was now fall so my days were spent harvesting. I could tell the mountain was angry, I have an air for these things. The ground was hot and the trees seemed to lean inward. Finally I finished, and got up and who should I find but a giant treant.

I say treant, but there were no trees in the city where I grew up, or even many plants to speak of. I decided to go to school like the rest of the children.... ((Keep going with the story until the NPC doesn't care... make sure not to make anything cohesive or have anything to do with your hair or the color blue))."

Telonius
2009-06-04, 12:52 PM
I'm planning on traveling to Rokugan, and I've heard the ladies go crazy over it there.

TheThan
2009-06-04, 01:10 PM
That’s funny, it doesn’t feel blue

Yes I know, too much hair gel

Yes its blue, but at least I don’t have split ends.

Wouldn’t you like to know!

Lorn
2009-06-04, 01:12 PM
"Most people comment on the duck. I say, what duck?"

Kudos to whoever gets the reference.

KIDS
2009-06-04, 01:13 PM
Do you know how I got these scars this hair??

chiasaur11
2009-06-04, 01:25 PM
"Most people comment on the duck. I say, what duck?"

Kudos to whoever gets the reference.

Bugrit, Millenium Hand and Shrimp!

Back to responses:

"Oh no, it's happening again. Go to your nearest temple. Run, don't walk, get as many people as you can into the basement, and don't come out as long as there's air and food."

"To start facinating conversations with interesting people like you."

"I'm a High level cleric of Friend Computer. Have you heard the good word?"

"At least it's not more questions about the extra arms."

"They said they'd cast remove curse! Clerics of Bahamut my arse."

Ceaon
2009-06-04, 01:36 PM
I'd make up a new story every time.

Do you know how I got these scars this hair??

How about... this?

My father was a drinker and a fiend and one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the paint brush to defend herself. He doesn’t like that, not one bit. So, me watching he takes the brush to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and he says “WHY SO SERIOUS!?”. He comes at me with the brush. “Why so serious!?” Sticks the brush in my hair. "Lets put a little blue in that hair!" Aaaand….. why sooooo serrrious?

You look nervous...Is it the blue hair? You wanna know how I got it? Come here...hey...look at me. So I had a wife, beautiful...like you...who tells me, I worry too much, who tells me I shouldn't be so blue. Who gambles and gets in deep...with the sharks. One day they paint her hair. And we have no money for new hair paint. She can't take it. I just wanna see her smile again...hmm. I just want her to know that I don't care about the blueness. So...I stick a paint brush in my hair and do this...to myself. And you know what?...SHE CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF ME! She leaves...Now I see the funny side...Now i'm always blue.

Eldariel
2009-06-04, 01:47 PM
By the way, not directly related, but you'll have to, at least once in the game, yell out on the top of your lungs: "Screw the rules, I have blue hair!"

Geno9999
2009-06-04, 01:52 PM
"Funny story; it involved a wizard, a nymph, and a baker. I'll leave it at that."
"Wait, blue isn't normal? I thought that there were plenty of people with blue hair."

Hat-Trick
2009-06-04, 02:22 PM
"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?? When they talk of the great and manly leader of Team <insert party name>, their talking of ME! The Great <Insert Character Name>!"

Sorry, been watching it recently.

"The secret art of the blue hair has been passed down through my family for generations!"

Meh, thought it would work.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-04, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure how to respond :smalleek:

Let's put it this way - people who overheard this explanation will surely not bug you about your blue hair.

Burley
2009-06-04, 02:31 PM
Y'know, Flamingos have pink feathers because of thier shrimpy diet. Its a pigment in the shrimp. Maybe your race eats a lot of blueberries?

"One day, while eating a sugary pastry, I bit into a slip of golden parchment, inviting me to partake in the whimsy of Wizardly Wonkax's Phantastical Factory. He had this little snack that had all the flavors of a full course meal, y'see..."

Zaq
2009-06-04, 02:47 PM
Come to think of it, I did once play a game in which one character explained her bright pink hair by making reference to her mother using a Rod of Wonder as a sex toy.

There was a limerick involved, but since it involved the name of the character, I doubt it would apply here.

Waspinator
2009-06-04, 03:53 PM
"It's a skin condition! Now, obey the fist!"

J.Gellert
2009-06-04, 04:00 PM
"Haven't you heard? Blue is the new black."

and

"I know! I wished for a new lair but the Genie was a little deaf..."

Teron
2009-06-04, 04:53 PM
"Don't remind me. You don't want to know what else the curse did."

"Crap, you can see me? I should have burrowed deeper into the skull!"

"Sorry, I'm new to this city and I'm afraid I don't understand the local expressions. What do you mean by 'blue hair'?"

"It's a sign of my destiny! Not a particularly exciting destiny, mind you, but as the prophecy says: 'By his azure locks shall the Baron know the man who, in his hour of inconvenience, shall re-shoe his horse well enough to return home, where a skilled smith can do it properly.' I'll even get a gold piece for my trouble!"

"I'm part of a secret organisation sworn to protect the very fabric of reality. Incidentally, could I pay with this coupon?"

"What can I say, I'm a rebel. Green hair is for chumps."

"You can see my true form?! Oh my... *mumbling* Is he really the Chosen One? I thought he'd be taller. He doesn't look ready to face the Gorgotaur..."

"This must be a dream, then. Never mind what my hair says about your psyche, it's probably creepy as heck. Now's your chance to do something crazy you couldn't get away with in real life!"

"[NPC name], it's me! A druid reincarnated me. We can be together again!"

nysisobli
2009-06-04, 05:01 PM
simple every time someone asks you sing this, played a bard that did ;)

Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around
Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Blue are the people here that walk around,
Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.
Blue are the words I say and what I think.
Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Blue are the people here that walk around,
Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.
Blue are the words I say and what I think.
Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

Inside and outside blue his house
With the blue little window and a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around cause he aint got
Nobody to listen to

I'm blue (if I was green I would die)

Xallace
2009-06-04, 05:22 PM
Flat out refuse to believe them. Not angrily, just like it's a joke and play along obviously for a little.
"My name is Sir Reginald, this is my permanent Detect Evil." Look in a mirror. "Looks like you check out. Good day, citizen."
"It makes all the fey ladies go wild."
Flail around. "Rainbow watermelon! Oogling full-frontal pepperjack spontoons!" Have a friend explain that you're a slaad.
"Oh, it's blue?" Sigh with relief. "Good, it's still asleep then." If questioned, answer "The tarrasque."
"Get it? Get it? Blue?" Laugh like it's the funniest joke ever, point at your own head occasionally, repeat "get it?" and "blue" a few more times.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-04, 05:26 PM
When asked, you respond, "Well, last night, I was with your mom and she said that she really gets turned on by people with blue hair..."

Unless its a more family friendly game, then answer, "Well, last night, and your mom, and... I'll leave it there."

Yora
2009-06-04, 05:28 PM
"No, it's black."
"It's more of a lightish black." :smalltongue:

Hat-Trick
2009-06-04, 05:34 PM
"I prefer 'hair of unusual pigment.'"

Faleldir
2009-06-04, 05:49 PM
"When O-Chul impregnates a woman, he impregnates every woman in a (10+CL)-mile radius, no save."

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Set
2009-06-04, 05:50 PM
"All members of our order dye their hair to honor the sky in this manner." Pause. "Well, the other option is to always be naked, but I preferred this one."

"It's not hair." (refuse to discuss the matter further, augmented greatly by having the hair re-arrange itself via a Prestidigitation cantrip)

"It is a badge of my secret shame." (if questioned further) "Which part of secret shame didn't you understand?"

"Blue? Really? What color is this scarf to you?" (hold up a blue scarf) "You see that as blue, too?" (look panicky and back away) "It's spread here, too, we have to get away before they start bleeding from the eyes and craving human flesh!"

"You mean green." (look perturbed when corrected) "No, green. It's always been green, is your entire species color-blind?"

Hat-Trick
2009-06-04, 05:54 PM
[Shifty eyed] "Do you really want to know?" If yes, "Are you completely sure you want to risk it?" If yes, "Things have happened people who know, are you sure?" If yes, [flatly, while going back to previous action normally] "I dye it."

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-04, 05:55 PM
"It's a blessing from the ferret king."

"My hair is mirrored, it's actually reflecting the sky."

"It just changes to the same color as the last dragon I killed. Not sure why..."

"It's what happens when you eat too much blue dragon meat."

"It's camoflauge, it makes me harder to see while I'm flying/underwater."

averagejoe
2009-06-04, 06:10 PM
"Interesting. Why is my hair blue? Is color an objective quality of something, or is it something that everyone perceives differently? After all, different cultures put different distinctions on color, and this seems to make any distinction and label for color completely arbitrary."

simple every time someone asks you sing this, played a bard that did ;)

*snipped for length*

Yo, this is the story all about how
My life got flip-turned upside down
and I'd like to take a minute
just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became a prince and got my blue hair

Tar Palantir
2009-06-04, 06:29 PM
Slightly off topic, but I played a wild mage named Dystopia the Blue. His eye color is blue. His skin and hair color are listed as "not blue."

Xuincherguixe
2009-06-04, 07:03 PM
"WHY! WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP ASKING ME THAT?" Break out into hysterical tears, "YOU BASTARDS JUST WON'T EVER LEAVE ME ALONE. First my parents beat me for years than sold me into slavery. Then the people who bought me committed suicide due to buyers regret. The orphanage I got dumped in was attacked by a Paladin who thought my presence there was such a evil omen that it must have been the location where a demon lord was to be reborn. He tried to kill me too! But went insane from my blue hair a moment before and ran around flailing and accidentally cut off his own head."

"It's not blue. It's actually green."

"I'm told that it's the best flavor. I remain unconvinced."

"That's kind of a personal thing to say isn't it?"

"... Why do you hate yourself so much?"

"No. I am not an evil wizard and I wish people would stop asking me that."

"For the last time I am not going to save the princess! Stop it! NOW!"

"Thanks!" Then give the guy a beer.

"You poor man! Society is a sick, depraved beast. Here, you obviously need this a lot more than me." Hand them over some coins.

"It makes me as the target of a quest for vengeance. Do you have any waffles?" If they say they do, tell them, "That's good. You'll need them." If they say no, look really sad for a moment and tell them, "That's... a real pity. I guess there's no point dwelling on it if there's nothing you can do."

Reaper_Monkey
2009-06-04, 07:05 PM
"Well you can lose magic swords and the like, so I got my hair enchanted to change colour depending on what creatures are around so it can never been stolen and always grows back, cunning eh? Blue suggests that your not human though :smallconfused:"

"I maintain a happy and optimistic outlook on life by keeping all my sadness in my hair, hence the blue tone"

"Its natural camouflage for when I need to look around whilst hiding in a bush"

"I wash my hair ten times a day, I guess its just transference because water is blue"

"That damn woollen hat keeps having its dye wash out in the rain! Why on earth does my faith have to have things blue!?"

"It was either this or have intimates placed on my face, I thought this would be less offensive"

"When asked if you want to have blue hair by an angry emotional dragon who has just walked in on you trying to make off with their horde, your only option is to say yes"

"I knew that hookers dress was cheaply dyed, well that'll teach me for drinking too much I guess!"

"I'm a professional writer and often get ink all over my hands, over time its sort of also stained my hair annoyingly"

"I thought I'd go for something more distinctive today so eye witness reports on my crimes are more likely to lead back to me, you see I'm trying to obtain infamy. Maybe I should take up more serious crimes, what do you think?"

.... Yeah that's all I've got for now :smallbiggrin:

BlueWizard
2009-06-04, 07:39 PM
wild magic

JeminiZero
2009-06-04, 08:05 PM
yeah well my mom liked blueberries, what can i say

On a related note:

"I met this chap called Wally Winko. He offered me some gum. Lets just say it seems my hair is the last thing to return to normal."

kopout
2009-06-04, 08:40 PM
Dang, all the good ons are taken already.

" Really? You think my hair is blue? Interesting."

" It's just the way the gods made me."

"I would have thought you would notice the ear fish first. Oh well live and learn"

"42"

Hat-Trick
2009-06-04, 08:43 PM
"And how does that make you feel? Happy? Sad? Tell me."

mr.fizzypop
2009-06-04, 08:56 PM
" A blue dragon puked all over me"

" I dye it...with smurf blood...fresh daily..."

" Because it reflects all but blue light."

" I need it for my [insert horrible disease], doctors orders."

BRC
2009-06-04, 09:02 PM
"STOP MOCKING MY CONDITION!"
" I got off lucky, you should see what happened to the guy who actually drank the potion"

Alteran
2009-06-04, 09:02 PM
I admit I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned. But if it's something your character would do, respond with something so disturbing, terrifying, or strange that nobody will want to keep asking you questions. One-word responses get you bonus points.

"Hey, why is your hair blue?"

"Incest."

"..."

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-04, 09:07 PM
"Wizards."

Xallace
2009-06-04, 09:34 PM
"Gnomes." With much venom.

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-04, 09:35 PM
"Ack!? Again! Headband's too tight." (Or any other headgear/neckwear) >.>

Worira
2009-06-04, 09:38 PM
" A blue dragon puked all over me"

" I dye it...with smurf blood...fresh daily..."

" Because it reflects all but blue light."

" I need it for my [insert horrible disease], doctors orders."

Nitpick: Reflects blue light and absorbs all other.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-04, 10:47 PM
"For the same reason the three mating barghests awaken under the vibrant red light of the moon in the evening sky."

If they ask you what that reason is, you can respond with one of:

"Because a dormant god plots restlessly in the heart of every skeleton."
"Because of a little thing called hair dye, you moron."
"I have no idea."
or "For the same reason my hair is blue."

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 10:48 PM
"I am an anime character."

Waspinator
2009-06-04, 11:10 PM
Because you're the guy.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 11:12 PM
Technically, you want to be the guy.

FoE
2009-06-04, 11:14 PM
"Screw the rules, I have blue hair!"

Rutskarn
2009-06-04, 11:17 PM
"Your hair's very...odd..."

"Yeah, it's magic color-changing hair. Flirty people see red, smart people see orange, sensible people see black, and raving, gibbering idiots with bad hygiene see blue."

d13
2009-06-04, 11:22 PM
*Faking some kind of trance and changing the voice pitch*

"And so it is written that the one with the odd coloured hair will come, bringing discord and death to everything that has been loved by you, common races. And it will make justice, for all what you have destroyed in the name of fear will come back to protect it's legacy.
So it is written, so the Gods have said, and so I, Maendros the Profet, have transmitted!"

*'coming back'*

"Sorry, I just spaced out. What were you asking 'bout my heirs?"

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-05, 12:28 AM
"You got a problem with Paladins?"

(Sorry, someone had to say it >.>)

BobVosh
2009-06-05, 12:33 AM
Provided it is like a fro, and you are at least medium sized: (whisper)"Its actually a small, fuzzy blue dragon. Started to grapple me like...a week ago. I think it didn't know what to do after that, and fell asleep. Please be quiet so you don't wake it."

"Why do you think you percieve my hair as blue? What could it possibly mean about YOU!?"

"A thousand sages are hard at work, deciphering this."

"I lost a bet"

"*name opposing god*"

"A wise man once said that those who can afford to ask such questions can AFFORD to ask such questions." (hold out hand for money)

"If you ever meet a leprechaun saying that he can get you rich quick, just say no."

"If you stare into the blue hair long enough, the blue hair stares into you"

Waspinator
2009-06-05, 12:45 AM
Technically, you want to be the guy.

No way! Maybe when you're older.

Xondoure
2009-06-05, 12:46 AM
"Well you see my great great great great grandmother once knew a cleric, who knew a rogue, who...
(several hours later) and that my friends is why you should always eat strawberries."

"Once there was a person who made fun of my hair, no one ever saw him again."

"A wizard did it."

"You mean you haven't seen blue hair before? Please, I knew this town was quaint, but you should at least make an attempt to keep up with the latest fashions. Blue hair is all the rage in civilized society."

"Well you see, my brother was murdered by a dog."
"but that doesn't explain-"
"A dog I tell you!"

Gralamin
2009-06-05, 01:44 AM
Another 4th Wall breaking one, but with a twist:
"You have to help me, I'm a main character! If you dye your hair blue, I might be able to lose THEM."

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-06-05, 02:41 AM
Different though similar ongoing joke from a Game I ran.

Basically a elf, who's skin was deep blue due to Magical "plot" effect. Effectively his aura was inside out so people saw his "Alighnment" instead of his actual pigmentation.

He got sick of people asking him, so even once he did know he said things like.

"Becouse I'm cold."
"I'm holding my Breath." (even funnier when they think about that statement)
"Yes I'm a rare land sea elf!"
"Weirder stuff has happened, get over it."
"Diet is very important..."
"It takes too long to explain."
"I was in a party with a Wildmage" (particularly funny becouse he was and he wasn't involved)
"I'm allergic to you."
"Ultimate magic power comes at great cost."
"I'm not from around here."

RdMarquis
2009-06-05, 03:22 AM
"Only crazy people see odd hair colors."

If you feel like a pun, you can say, "Blue? Oh no, my hair is in a very good mood, thank you."

"Blue? Uh oh. I was afraid that this would happen someday. ...Listen. I'm not going to mince words with you. Unless you suck the poison out, things will be bad for all of us."

LibraryOgre
2009-06-05, 10:43 PM
Exclaiming, "I dye it," doesn't exactly procure the type of reaction I'm looking for.

I was actually talking about dying the hair, itself, so you don't have to explain it.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-06, 01:59 AM
Calling it some sort of magical backlash/prank should do the trick, presuming that magic is common enough for that to be logical.
A Wizard Did It.

raptor1056
2009-06-06, 08:45 AM
I admit I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned. But if it's something your character would do, respond with something so disturbing, terrifying, or strange that nobody will want to keep asking you questions. One-word responses get you bonus points.

"Hey, why is your hair blue?"

"Incest."

"..."

This was post 69.

Just sayin'.

Also, "why is your hair blue?"
Cue panicked crying and fetal position.