PDA

View Full Version : A demi lich/regular lich hydra.

Shinizak
2009-06-04, 01:35 PM
So a demi lich is created by a lich creating 7 phylacteries and hiding them in his/her skull (which is then hidden somewhere else). Hypothetically, could a n awakened lich hydra decide to use only one of it's heads in the demi-lich process so as to gain all of the up-sides (The raw power) while eliminating the downsides (and retain the working body)?

Xuincherguixe
2009-06-04, 06:13 PM
Well... a demilich is basically transferring the whole of their being into their skull right? So, how could your theoretical demilich hydra be in two places at once? If this was to work, it would basically mean that the hydra is two separate entities now.

I think in an effort to be sneaky, you're trying to make 2 + 2 = 5.

What you want to do is have several floating heads for your demi lich hydra. That regenerates and grows extra demilich heads. I think regeneration isn't supposed to work for the undead, but what's the point of being a DM if you can't do stuff that doesn't make sense on occasion.

Also, the lack of a working body isn't really a downside for a demilich. You've got all that magic! And just being undead means having a body isn't going to be "fun" to begin with anyways.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-04, 06:16 PM
A Hydra doesn't have Regeneration; it has Fast Healing, which an Undead is perfectly capable of having. :smalltongue:

Jothki
2009-06-04, 06:20 PM
In my opinion, a seven-headed demilich hydra with a phylactery in each skull is just too obvious not to use. They'd arguably be 7 distinct entities, but the hydra would've had seven brains beforehand anyway.

Xuincherguixe
2009-06-04, 06:34 PM
A Hydra doesn't have Regeneration; it has Fast Healing, which an Undead is perfectly capable of having. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I'm not really up on all the rules... either way though still works.

Still, I like my idea of 7 floating heads. It seems like you're getting attacked by 7 demilichs... which is probably scarier really. But instead it's one entity.

As soon as the PCs smash one head, only to find two new skulls grow in mid air? That's going to freak them out.

"Hydra Demilich" probably isn't going to be something they think of either.

Coidzor
2009-06-04, 06:38 PM
Rule of Cool demands this to be done. And the players' reactions to be recorded faithfully. preferably via hidden camera.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who thought that a gestalt mind comprised of enough demi-liches to make a rude skeleton(based off of one interpretation that said it could be any bone and not just the skull) that's been fused together was a pretty cool idea.

Or, y'know, Vecna siccing a demi-lich swarm on somebody... They're tiny creatures, right?

Doresain
2009-06-05, 12:25 AM
Or, y'know, Vecna siccing a demi-lich swarm on somebody... They're tiny creatures, right?

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

BobVosh
2009-06-05, 12:48 AM
Ok, after my game ends (we have a couple of players that have work in the morning) we usually do some silly game things. This is needed. What book is demilich in?

Malicte
2009-06-05, 12:52 AM
I just finished reading through this month's monk thread, and was getting kinda annoyed. Then, I came here, and read this. This is possibly the greatest idea I've ever heard, and it brightened my day. A cookie (or 7?) for you, sir.

The Mentalist
2009-06-05, 12:59 AM
*Bow* This is brilliant!

I think it could go either way on the separate entities thing, whichever the DM prefers.

Turcano
2009-06-05, 01:23 AM
Ok, after my game ends (we have a couple of players that have work in the morning) we usually do some silly game things. This is needed. What book is demilich in?

It's in the Epic Level Handbook, but it's in the SRD as well.

Pronounceable
2009-06-05, 04:48 AM
a demi-lich swarm

That's 43 kinds of awesome right there.

Coidzor
2009-06-05, 05:10 AM
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Diminutive size.... Diminutive Swarms are 5,000 strong(if flying creatures). Now to figure out how to actually get them to become a swarm.. other than some kind of punishment meted out by vecna that makes them less than sentient except when bound into a hive-mind loyal to 'im....

Certainly an illusion or conjuration spell that created the appearance of a swarm of demliches would be impressive, even if it was just a swarm of flying, nomming fancy skulls.

Either would of course have to be homebrewed and probably even barred from epic play. Though the creation/unleashing of such a fearsome thing could make for a nice villainous plot...

Probably with a hivemind along the lines of hellwasp swarm. Thinking something like Varsuvius's soul-meld only with, y'know, around 5K worth of demiliches worth of spells.

More on topic... Since there are multiple heads... make it basically a hivemind drawing from the inspiration of V's soul-meld for CL and spell slots (but, y'know, on a more permanent basis... probably the link between 'em all can be disrupted but not permanently severed...... usually

V: Hehe... this is taking me back to the days when I was idly poking around DND using the half-knowledge that cursory inspection yielded....the idea of a demi-lich who decided he wanted to become the perfect being, that is, he researched a way to dominate and control liches (basically feeding information along to necromancers over the years and supplying their... "special" phylacteries) with the eventual aim of getting enough demi-liches for the different bones of the humanoid body to form a skeleton hive-mind with his personality firmly in control (basically something like a messier version of soulmeld where the personality portion of each soul was erased in the process of the soul being eaten into the build) to the point where he was a being with the combined intellect (not necessarily stacking ability scores but at least INT increasing from all of the intellect being pooled) of ~200 demilich Wizards with a super phylactery (or even... dare I say even utter the blasphemy that dwelt within my heart... Yeah, I think I do... a phylactery golem?! Or Voltron... that works too.)

JackMage666
2009-06-05, 05:17 AM
Diminutive size.... Diminutive Swarms are 5,000 strong(if flying creatures). Now to figure out how to actually get them to become a swarm.. other than some kind of punishment meted out by vecna that makes them less than sentient except when bound into a hive-mind loyal to 'im....

Certainly an illusion or conjuration spell that created the appearance of a swarm of demliches would be impressive, even if it was just a swarm of flying, nomming fancy skulls.

Either would of course have to be homebrewed and probably even barred from epic play. Though the creation/unleashing of such a fearsome thing could make for a nice villainous plot...

Villain: "You have all the skulls there, right? We'll just get this started then..." Villain starts magic ritual
Absent Minded Assistant - "Well, one chipped, so I threw it in that pile over there..."
Villain: "WHAT! You mean there's only 4,999 of them! That means they lose Hive Mind! They're all independent of each----"
<WORLD ENDS>

Doresain
2009-06-06, 12:37 AM
Villain: "You have all the skulls there, right? We'll just get this started then..." Villain starts magic ritual
Absent Minded Assistant - "Well, one chipped, so I threw it in that pile over there..."
Villain: "WHAT! You mean there's only 4,999 of them! That means they lose Hive Mind! They're all independent of each----"
<WORLD ENDS>

ya know, if i had the choice to live out in that world or the tomb of horrors...id feel safer in the tomb:smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2009-06-06, 02:01 AM
ya know, if i had the choice to live out in that world or the tomb of horrors...id feel safer in the tomb:smallannoyed:

Well, it's not like the Gods ever claimed not to be keeping some nukes tucked away for a nice old fashioned ragnarok after all.

Just think of this as Vecna's answer to the anti-osmium bomb (which if they win initiative they/it might be able to contain and then who knows what)

Fishy
2009-06-06, 02:53 AM
Filled with the urge to stat the demilich Hydra- Weirdly enough, Lich just requires 'caster level 11th', whereas a demilich explicitly must be 'a sorcerer, wizard, or cleric of at least 21st level'. Add in the 8 animal hit die, and this becomes a mess, quickly...

Atcote
2009-06-06, 05:07 AM
Tis a fantastically cool idea... But my problem is the 'Seven Heads, Seven Brains'. To me, while they concentrate on the same objective and have the one body, they are all individuals, so thereby ONE of them (or several, I guess) would become the demi-lich, disgarding its body in response to that...
The cool thing here? It's now a six headed, still living (there's still six brains there) hydra with the phylacteries inside it, and a demi lich repitilian head protecting it... Not an easy task for any realistic (depending on setting) adventurer.