PDA

View Full Version : Ipod through washing machine what do I do?

xanaphia
2009-06-04, 04:47 PM
My iPod just has been discovered to have gone through the washing machine. It is not responding. What do I do?

Haruki-kun
2009-06-04, 04:58 PM
:smallfrown:

I.... well, uhm....... <.<

*Sigh* Well, I'm sorry to tell you this, but.... it's pretty much.... dead.

RS14
2009-06-04, 05:04 PM
One suggestion (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/20/how-to-clean-up-water-damaged-electronics-the-rice-bowl/)

I have also heard that complete disassembly, soaking in de-ionized water, and thorough drying may bring it back to life.

This second source (http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/19/how-to-clean-up-water-damaged-electronics/) might also be of use.

billtodamax
2009-06-04, 05:07 PM
Pry off the back, pull off any gunk, reattach back. Probably won't help, but there's nothing else I can think of doing.

KuReshtin
2009-06-04, 06:07 PM
My iPod just has been discovered to have gone through the washing machine. It is not responding. What do I do?

Sorry to say this, but unless you have a home/contents insurance that would cover this sort of thing, you'd need to buy a new iPod.

Ashtar
2009-06-04, 06:23 PM
Normally for electronics:

Disassemble, if all sealed items are intact (battery, condensers), wash with de-ionized water, leave open to dry completely before trying to switch it on.

If you cannot open it, leave it to dry about a week or two before trying it and hoping the water remaining inside it did not deposit enough on the circuit board to cause conduction paths. Oh and if it had a hard drive inside, then there's 99% chance it's dead. Solid state memory survives much better.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-04, 06:28 PM
Dost though have a receipt? If so, thou shouldest take it unto the place of retail where thou hast procured it and inquire as to a refund or replacement.

Haruki-kun
2009-06-04, 06:34 PM
Dost though have a receipt? If so, though shouldest take it unto the place of retail where thou hast procured it and inquire as to a refund or replacement.

I doubt it. I got mine with a store warreplace it if it ranty, and the store said they wouldn't was wet, smashed, or stolen.

EDIT: Also, I think thou meant to type "thou", not "though".

RS14
2009-06-04, 06:36 PM
Dost though have a receipt? If so, though shouldest take it unto the place of retail where thou hast procured it and inquire as to a refund or replacement.:smallconfused:

Anyway, their Ipod warranty doesn't apply "to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes."

Ravens_cry
2009-06-04, 07:14 PM
I doubt it. I got mine with a store warreplace it if it ranty, and the store said they wouldn't was wet, smashed, or stolen.

EDIT: Also, I think thou meant to type "thou", not "though".
I dost hang mine head in shame. Thou art most correct.
And it hast been too long to come under the return policy? Some stores are more forgiving, and may allow a simple exchange longer then they wouldst give unto you a return of funds.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-06-04, 07:19 PM
Take the oppertunity to shun the evils of iPod and buy some other Digital Media Device?
If you must go for one of the more mainstream devices, then let Zune be it.
Personally, I have a Sony DMD. Apparently, they're still going with the name 'walkman' for their devices.

BlueWizard
2009-06-04, 07:26 PM
Be more careful next time.

My blackberry broke, and they wanted more than I paid for it to get it repaired.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-04, 08:39 PM
Not sure if this would work with a iPod, but my cell phone fell in a pool, and i refrained from turning it on or off, but I put it in white rice and it got all the water out... It absorbs water very nicely. :smalltongue:. Good luck.

Groundhog
2009-06-04, 09:51 PM
Hey, iPods aren't evil!
I had this problem with my old cellphone, (it fell in a lake) and I had to get a new one. Still, do not lose hope, iPods are a bit sturdier than my junky old phone. Take it to the repair shop and see what they say about it.

Jack Squat
2009-06-04, 10:22 PM
The basic rule for this sort of stuff is don't try to turn it on after it happens. If you do, there's a lower chance of it ever working.

Otherwise, disassemble, wash with clean, de-ionized water and/or 90+% rubbing alcohol and let dry.

Sneak
2009-06-04, 10:23 PM
Buy a new one?

darkblust
2009-06-05, 06:57 AM
buy a new mp3.there less expensive,and who needs 1000 songs?or you could get anotheripod,and be more carefull.You could also get a psp,im pretty sure they hold music,games,and the internet.....sorry for u ,though:smallfrown:

H. Zee
2009-06-05, 07:03 AM
Start checking pockets more thoroughly?

Klose_the_Sith
2009-06-05, 09:12 AM
Take the oppertunity to shun the evils of iPod and buy some other Digital Media Device?
If you must go for one of the more mainstream devices, then let Zune be it.
Personally, I have a Sony DMD. Apparently, they're still going with the name 'walkman' for their devices.

My personal suggestion would be this, but get a decent Samsung MP3 player. They're cheaper, sound better AND you get a much better program then iTunes.

Although I have heard some good things about ovens. A friend of mine did exactly this, then put his iPod in the oven. Problem was he left it there too long and it melted. It's still intact, so it can be used as a USB, but it can't be turned on so no iPod.

Jack Squat
2009-06-05, 10:41 AM
Although I have heard some good things about ovens. A friend of mine did exactly this, then put his iPod in the oven. Problem was he left it there too long and it melted. It's still intact, so it can be used as a USB, but it can't be turned on so no iPod.

A hairdryer takes longer, but avoids the melting part.

MR.PIXIE
2009-06-05, 11:34 AM
charge it and turn it back on. that worked
when the same thing happend to my cell phone.