PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Feats

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-04-09, 04:20 AM
What I have here are a list of feats that I thought about after a debate with my group where we talked about how a fighter gets little "Exclusive" ablities. I tried to make them attaiinable for most, but they do also seem to lean being much more attainable by the fighter class.
Feel free to rip me apart for these because they are over powered.

Precise Attack [General]
You can take extra care to make sure your attacks sting a bit more.
Prerequiste: 13+ Dex, Weapon Finess
Effect: The effect is similar to the effect of Power Attack, though it is only permissable to use with any weapon that is allowed to be used in conjunction of weapon finess. You can trade up to your base attack bonus to deal extra damage equal to the penalty taken.
A figher can take this as a bonus feat.

Hack Limb [General]
You can slash at your enemies’ limbs to disable them or take them off entirely.
Prerequiste: 13+ Strength, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Weapon Specialization with a slashing weapon, BAB 12+
Effect: Using this feat in combat is a standard action and must be done with a slashing weapon you have specialization in. When used, you take an attack at –4 to hit but if you strike you deal damage to a specified limb. You do only half the normal damage to the target, but the limb takes full damage (A limb is consided to have one quarter the hit points of the target) and if the limb’s hit points are reduced to zero, it is disabled.
A limb, once disabled, cannot be used until the creature has received healing sufficient to restore the limb to full health.
If damage twice to the limbs hit points is applied, it is removed and will require a Regeneration spell to correct.
The effects of having a limb removed or disabled can be ruled for the situation by the DM but will typically include an decreased move rate for a leg, loss of an attack, or loss of a shield bonus.
A fighter can take this as a bonus feat.

Slasher [General]
Cutting through enemies is something you can do with ease.
Prerequiste: 13+ Strength, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Specialization with a slashing weapon, BAB 12+
Effect: When you critically strike an opponent with a slashing weapon that you have specialization in, you can make an attack another target within reach. The attack is made at the attack bonus used to critical the first target. You cannot take a 5-foot step between these attacks. You can only make only one such attack a round.

Crashing Strike [General]
Your blows can stun your oppenent.
Prerequiste: 13+ Strength, Power Attack, Weapon Specialization in a bludgeoning weapon, Base attack bonus +8
Effect: You must declare you are using this feat before you make your attack roll and you only may do this when using a bludgeoning weapon you have specialization with. A foe that is damaged by this attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ˝ your base attack bonus + Strength bonus) or be stunned for one round. This stun is the same as the Stunning Fist feat found in the PHB. This may be done as many times per day as one quarter your base attack bonus rounded down.

Knock Down Strike [General]
You can push people over with a blunt weapon.
Prerequiste: 13+ Strength, Power Attack, Weapon Specialization in a bludgeoning weapon, BAB +10
Effect: When you critical with a blunt weapon you have Weapon Specialization with, you may begin a trip attack as if you just made your unarmed melee touch attack as long as you meet the size requirements to make a trip attack. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity, nor can you be tripped if you fail. Since you cannot be tripped back, you do not need to worry about dropping your weapon to advoid being tripped. If you succeed, you knock your opponent prone.

Run Through [General]
You can preform a deadly lunge attack.
Prerequiste: 13+ Dexerity, Weapon Finess, Precise Attack, Weapon Specialization with a melee, piercing weapon, BAB 12+
Effect: You must declare you are attempting this attack before the attack roll is made. Once you declare this attack, you suffer an attack of opportunity as you line up the strike but being hit does not spoil the attempt. The attack is made at –5 to hit, but if it lands it is a critical strike. This can only be done once per round.

Goumindong
2006-04-09, 04:46 AM
Precice attack seems to reduce attack. This seems counter-intuiative.

Run through(and many others actualy) needs to be reworded. Run Through seems a bit too powerful to me as well, any time you can automatically crit an opponent who isnt helpless is pretty rough.

JaronK
2006-04-09, 05:51 AM
Just imagine for a moment what run through combined with power attack, storm trooper, spirited charge, and a two handed lance charge would do. Ouchie. Sure, they'd get a free hit on you, but you'd kill darn near anything when your hit comes through (automatic sextuple damage, plus 12 damage per attack bonus point... double that if you're a frenzied berserker).

JaronK

400vip
2006-04-09, 06:13 AM
Hack limb would is cool, even without the Black Kight

The Glyphstone
2006-04-09, 08:17 AM
Hack Limb is cool, but I would strongly recommend removing it or at least severely nerfing it.

Why? True Strike.

2nd Edition had "called shots", where you took a huge penalty (like, -10) to strike an arm, an eye, or some specific part.

When 3.X came around, people tried to port that rule in. Suddenly, everyone (well, lots of people) were dipping 1 level into Wizard or Sorcerer so they could cast True Strike, then using the +20 to hit on their next attack to insta-gib the BBEG or big monster.

Hack Limb is basically a Called Shot from what I can see, except it is limb-specific - so it can't insta-kill, but even without True Strike, it can quickly make any humanoid opponent helpless by sawing off their arms.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-04-09, 11:36 AM
That's why I asked.
Basically, I am trying to see what powerful, nearly fighter specific feats would look like, because right now, fighters just don't change in their developement. They might be different in style or how they do things, but basically, "I hit things" exclusively seems... well... Boring and the fighter in my campaign seems to agree with that (he usually does mages and this is his first time with a fighter).

The Glyphstone
2006-04-09, 12:04 PM
That can be true. But I come from the camp that "concept makes the character" and not vice-versa - I.E. not deciding the personality/RP based on the feats, but choosing feats and skills based on waht you want the character to be like. It's particularly important for fighters, which, as you say, "hit stuff".

And if you think about it, there are a number of different ways to build a fighter, even without PrC's. The classic 2-handed weapon Power Attacker is one, and the shield-and-sword fighter is another. Those are both of the "hit things" archetype, but a fighter can also be an archer - and far better at it than a ranger, because of all the bonus feats for Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Specialization, that sort of thing. Or back to the "hit things" class, there's the agile two-weapon fighter.

Basically, it's true that fighters are "boring" by themselves. But no more than, say, a sorcerer or cleric in the hands of an equal player. That player of yours - why does he usually play mages? Couldn't mages be considered "boring" if all they do is "blast things", or a cleric that "heals things"? Figure out what makes him tick, and try to see how he can apply that to a fighter-type.

For actual mechanics, scrap Hack Limb altogether. Precise Attack is good, and something that should have been included to begin with. For Run Through, auto-crit is a bit too powerful...a number of weapon abilities only function on criticals. If you want something that boosts critical chances by aiming properly, try this:

Run Through [General]
You can preform a deadly lunge attack.
Prerequiste: Dex 13+, Weapon Finess, Precise Attack, Weapon Specialization with a melee, piercing weapon, BAB 12+
Effect: As a full-round action, you can attempt to line up a deadly strike against a vulnerable area of the opponent. You make a single attack at a -5 penalty, but the critical threat range is doubled and critical threats are automatically confirmed. The threat range increase does not stack with Improved Critical, Keen Edge, or similar effects.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-04-09, 01:09 PM
Alright... I might I will take Hack limb out of the options and try to think of something else, though I like the idea behind it still.

And I like that change to Run Through. I think the fighter in the campaign I am running will like that option as he is a rapier user.

What do people think of the bludgeoning weapons though?

And finally, to explain what I ment by it's boring is that a fighter is supposed to be the 'master of combat'. Yet, there is only two feats that he has option to over everyone else. He might get more, but I think it really lacks the feeling that the fighter is unique on a battle field because there is nothing he can learn that is not available to others.
This is where the blandness comes in in my opions. Spell selections and domains can at least give the casters a diffinitive feel off the bat. Rouges have so many skills they can feel special outside of combat. The other fighter-types (Paladins, Barbarians, Rangers and Monks) all get access to many things that the fighter would not normally have access too, but they all theoretically have access to most of what a fighter has. I would like to see fighters have more of their own 'ablities', I guess ultimately.

The Glyphstone
2006-04-09, 02:24 PM
Take a look at These (http://community.dicefreaks.com/viewtopic.php?t=53), from the Dicefreaks community. A whole list of new combat feats, including the three Weapon Mastery feats that specifically require levels in Fighter - and are very powerful...getting 5 attacks from BAB alone is significant.

And for that blandness...keep in mind that while any other melee character can learn some of those tricks, only the fighter has enough feats to learn ALL of them.

Azrael
2006-04-09, 02:26 PM
Precise Attack: Power attack for finesse-able weapons only? Seems like a contradiction in terms & mechanics. And plus, you're not really being precise if it requires you to reduce your BAB. A little rework should help.

Hack Limb: Called shots in 3.X = Pain. Remove. ;)

Slasher: Cleave for slashing weapons on a crit. I like it.

Knockdown: Cute.

Run Thru: Auto Crit? Bad idea. But if you really like it, make it a MUCH higher penalty.

Also, your Glyph's revision on Run Thru is actually worse, IMO. A crit is a crit. End of story. You've now made a whole seperate class of crits that don't follow the normal crit rules (keen, multipliers etc). This is a bad idea.

The Glyphstone
2006-04-09, 02:28 PM
How does my suggestion for Run Through create a "new class of crit", as you say? All it does is improve the threat range (say, from 19-20 to 17-20), like having a Keen weapon would. It doesn't even mention multipliers.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-04-09, 04:40 PM
Well... I saw a feat called power critical. Basically, once per day you could declare a critical attack and roll to see if you hit with it. I think with the penalties of Run Through would balance it out, especially since it is ment to sacrifice all the other attacks of the round to do so.

Azrael
2006-04-09, 04:53 PM
How does my suggestion for Run Through create a "new class of crit", as you say? All it does is improve the threat range (say, from 19-20 to 17-20), like having a Keen weapon would. It doesn't even mention multipliers.
It doesn't. I just can't read. Humble apologies.

... And Power Critical (3.5 at least) just gives you a +4 to hit when confirming a critical.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-04-09, 04:57 PM
Ah... It was a 3.0 source I was using. Might of been updated... Or something.