PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (by RAW) IX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-04, 05:52 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about D&D 4e, check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321). 4e questions can be asked here or there.
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the last Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66326).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Note what game/edition you are asking about
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2.As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

RS14
2009-06-04, 05:57 PM
Reposted from the previous thread.

Q. 1
D&D 3.5

In general, are you prohibited from using supernatural abilities in a grapple?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-04, 06:05 PM
A 1 Generally yes.
When you are grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), you can perform any of the following actions. Activate a Magic Item
Attack Your Opponent
Cast a Spell
Damage Your Opponent
Draw a Light Weapon
Escape from Grapple
Move
Pin Your Opponent
Break Another’s Pin
Use Opponent’s Weapon
Supernatural Abilities (Su)

Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. If a Supernatural ability requires a standard action, you cannot use it during a grapple; only those specific actions listed are permitted. Supernatural abilities which are useable as free actions may be performed, however.

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-04, 07:05 PM
Q. 2

In Complete Arcane, it is stated that the Warlock's Eldritch Blast ability has an effective spell level of CL/2, with a cap of 9. The Maximize Spell Like Ability feat in the same book dictates that you can only apply it to SLA's with an effective level of CL/2-2. However, the feat gives an example of a 10th level Warlock applying it to his Eldritch Blast. My question is, is it possible to apply this feat to Eldritch Blast?

Sallera
2009-06-04, 07:05 PM
Two reposts from the last thread.

Q3

(3.5) When using the Palm Throw trick granted by the Master Thrower (CW 58), do you get one or two sets of SA dice?

Q4

(3.5) Does the Stormlord's (CD 65) Storm Walk ability negate the weather penalties to ranged attacks, or only movement?

lsfreak
2009-06-04, 07:13 PM
A2
The errata retracts that, giving eldritch blast a spell level of 1 or the effective level of the highest-level blast shape/eldritch essence. This means you can effectively Quicken an eldritch blast at 10th level, quicken an eldritch chain at 16th level, and so on.
EDIT: You said maximize, sorry. So it would be 6th for an unmodified eldritch blast, 12th level for a 4th-level modified blast, etc.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-04, 07:22 PM
A 3 One.

For volley-type attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a), where you make one attack roll for multiple attacks, only the first of the attacks adds sneak attack damage.

A 4

Only movement is affected by Storm Walk.

RTGoodman
2009-06-05, 01:08 AM
Q 5

Is there some sort of way in D&D 3.5 to have something else hold your Concentrate on your spells for you? Like, a feat that lets your familiar/psicrystal do it or something?

Eloel
2009-06-05, 01:30 AM
A5
Solicit Psicrystal power. It's in the SRD

Gralamin
2009-06-05, 01:46 AM
Q6
If you have a Tentacle Whip from ECS, and choose not to attack with it in a round, could it use its action to Aid Another you?

Fitz10019
2009-06-05, 04:08 AM
Q 7
D&D 3.5e

(Repost from last thread)
A few weeks ago, I saw a player summon a monster, and then roll the HPs for it. I always thought you just take the "(## hp)" from the stat block. Either way makes sense, but what is the rule?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-05, 04:40 AM
A 7

This was actually answered in the previous thread in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6219455&postcount=1729).

Curmudgeon
2009-06-05, 10:41 AM
A 6

This is an interesting RAW question. Strictly following the rules, the Tentacle Whip does not have an action of its own while grafted to its host; it only has an attack.
A tentacle whip can make a single attack per round using its own attack bonus and statistics. Alternatively, the host can use the whip as a weapon.
If you’re in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. Aid Another requires a standard action, which isn't specified in either the symbiont traits or Tentacle Whip descriptions. However, the Tentacle Whip does have the Supernatural quality of telepathy.
Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. While not explicitly stated, it's reasonable to deduce that the Tentacle Whip does have a standard action available, which would allow it to use Aid Another.

AlterForm
2009-06-05, 11:18 AM
A5 part 2

You can also use the spell Sonorous Hum (SC p196) to maintain concentration for free.

RiceMaxi
2009-06-05, 11:22 AM
Q 8.

Is there a post somewhere or anywhere on the website that talks about the coding for posting something? I'm trying to format a homebrewed race for posting, but I have a section that has bullets that have bullets that have bullets, etc. All I can manage to do is get them all bulleted, but not sub-bullets.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-05, 11:26 AM
Q 9

Do items that raise your cleric level for purposes of turning undead stack? Such as a ring that gives +3 to effective levels, a medallion that gives +4, and a holy symbol that gives another +4? They're untyped "bonuses"-- the descriptions all just say add X to your cleric levels when turning undead.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-05, 01:18 PM
A 9 Yes.

The stacking rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking) list which modifier types have stacking restrictions. Effective Cleric level is not on that list (i.e., it is not a typed modifier under D&D 3.5 rules), so you default to the basic stacking rule:
In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies.

Ditto
2009-06-05, 01:32 PM
Q10 (repost from last thread)

Is there any way to eliminate the Somatic element of a Warlock's invocations, such as a Still Spell analogue? Or are you simply stuck with it, same as Bard spells must have a Vocal component?

A8

The sticky How To thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) in the Homebrew forum might be of use. At the bottom of the OP it gives sample tables and lists, including the plaintext code.

Eloel
2009-06-05, 01:34 PM
A8-ish

a
b
c

c1

c11
c12
c13

c2
c3

Don't know how to explain, but feel free to use 'quote' to check into my post and see how it would work.

A10
You're stuck with it, try to convince your DM that he should get a Still Spell-Like Ability feat (smt like Maximize SLA or Empower SLA) in, but don't hold your breath.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-05, 03:01 PM
Q11: If one of my players feels awkward role playing, like at all, how should I entice him to give it a try? (I'm the DM if that isn't blatant.) Thanks :smallsmile:.

Ditto
2009-06-05, 03:20 PM
A11

This is not a rules question - I'd recommend starting a thread in the main RPG folder, or search for a thread on this topic that's been done before. There have been plenty with lots of great advice.

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-05, 03:53 PM
Q 12

Does the Sound Lance spell in Spell Compendium automatically hit any target in range, like Magic Missle? Or does the target have to be in sight, and/or does the caster need to roll a ranged touch attack?

Ravens_cry
2009-06-05, 05:00 PM
Q13 3.5
How many levels would one have to dip in paladin to use a Wand of Bless Weapon without having to make a use wand check? (automatic critical on a rapier with the Improved Critical feat? yes please!)
Q143.5
And how much would such a wand cost?

Douglas
2009-06-05, 05:38 PM
A12

No attack roll is required, but you must be able to see or touch the target and you must have line of effect to the target.

A13

One level of paladin is sufficient to use any wand of a paladin spell.

A14

The lowest level a paladin can be while able to cast the spell is 4, and he would have a caster level of 2. The minimum caster level for the wand, since it is a paladin-only spell, is therefore 2. A caster level 2 wand of a level 1 spell costs 1500 gp.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-05, 05:46 PM
A 12 additional

Sound Lance has the following header information:
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature or object
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes The Target descriptor invokes the general rules for aiming a spell:

Target or Targets

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. Though no further aiming is required, the effect first needs to overcome the target's Spell Resistance (if any), and then a successful Fortitude save (DC using the standard formula of 10 + spell level + casting ability bonus) may result in the target taking only half damage.

tgva8889
2009-06-06, 10:34 AM
Q15

Are there any magical weapon effects besides Stygian and Enervating that can cause negative levels to be inflicted? Is there a magic item that allows someone to inflict negative levels on enemies without casting spells (I.E., not a wand or staff)?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-06, 12:48 PM
A 15

A Wight Hide Shield (Magic Item Compendium, page 23) can inflict negative levels with a bash. A Helltongue Whip (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 150) bestows negative levels as its principal attack.

Eloel
2009-06-06, 12:50 PM
A15
You can always use Spell-Storing and store Enervation in it...

Zantumall
2009-06-06, 01:27 PM
Q16
A) Is it possible to use a shield in each hand?
B) Would you be able to make a bash attack with both of them as if you were wielding 2 weapons?
C) How much AC would you get?

Eloel
2009-06-06, 01:29 PM
Q16
A) Is it possible to use a shield in each hand?
B) Would you be able to make a bash attack with both of them as if you were wielding 2 weapons?
C) How much AC would you get?

A) Yes, but only higher applies to AC
B) Yes (someone confirm this please)
C) Only the higher of the 2, none if you bash with both

Glimbur
2009-06-06, 04:33 PM
Q 17How exactly does a feather token: whip work?

Is it like a Dancing Weapon, in that it works for four rounds and then needs re-activation?

Does it just work for the full hour that its individual description says it does?

How does it grappling work? Does it go to the victim's square?

RiceMaxi
2009-06-06, 05:36 PM
Q 18.

Where can I find an explanation of the rules for flight? A player wants to use a character that can fly naturally without a LA, so I'm trying to make a class, but I can't do that without understanding flight.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-06, 06:57 PM
A. 18

You can find the relevant details here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly), or in the back of any Monster Manual. There's also some information about tactical aerial movement on page 20 of the 3.5 DMG, including a nice table.

Sedgewood
2009-06-06, 07:38 PM
Q19. (3.5) Are there rules for creating magic weapons with variable enhancement bonuses? For example, the Sword of the Planes listed in the SRD ranges from +1 to +4 depending on the target. I'm trying to make a similar item for my character but I can't figure out how the price breaks down for this item.

RS14
2009-06-06, 09:42 PM
Q. 20
D&D 3.5

Does Mind Blank protect against Deathwatch?

Q. 21
D&D 3.5

If Discern Location is used to locate a creature which happens to be dead, what happens?

theterran
2009-06-06, 10:55 PM
Q.22
D&D 3.5

The Feat Deft Strike from Complete Adventurer says that you must use a standard action to make a spot check against a foe. The Feat Quick Reconnoiter also from Complete Adventurer lets you make Spot and Listen checks as a Free Action.

So if I have both of these feats, do I still need to take that Standard Action for Deft Strike, or can I do it as a free action w/ Quick Reconnoiter?

Eloel
2009-06-06, 11:18 PM
Q. 20
D&D 3.5

Does Mind Blank protect against Deathwatch?

A20

This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects.

Deathwatch is neither mind-affecting nor divination, so it works fine.

tgva8889
2009-06-07, 01:02 AM
Q23

Is there an alternate weapon version of the Scythe? For an example of what I mean, the Warmace (Complete Warrior, pg. 158) and the Greatbow (Complete Warrior, pg. 156) are alternate versions of the Mace and Shortbow/Longbow, respectively. Basically, I'm looking for something that's very similar to a Scythe in terms of design.

Q24
Is there a way to increase the critical hit range of a weapon besides the Keen/Impact magical abilities and the Improved Critical feat?

Demons_eye
2009-06-07, 01:33 AM
Q:25
Can you use your dex insted of str for when you are attempting a trip not deffending a trip. And if so can you get a +4 dex bonus, not a +4 str?

Demons_eye
2009-06-07, 01:38 AM
A:22
From Complete Adventurer

Normal: Using Spot or Listen in a reactive fashion is
a free action, but actively trying to make a Spot check or
Listen check requires a move action.

If its not reactive then no

krko
2009-06-07, 03:25 AM
Q26
Can I use the holding the charge rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#standardCastaSpell) to buff people, i.e. using a single casting of Air Walk to buff multiple people (and making the Divine Reach + DMM(Chain spell) combo completely pointless in terms of precombat buffing)?

AngelOmnipotent
2009-06-07, 05:52 AM
Q27

Does Darkvision see through a Swordsage's concealment?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-07, 07:36 AM
A 19 No.

A 21

A dead creature is now an object. Discern Location will work if you have touched the creature either before or after death, but will not work otherwise.

A 24 Yes.

The Favored Critical feat (Masters of the Wild) will double the threat range of a weapon when used against a chosen favored enemy (the class ability of Rangers et al.). This stacks with keen/impact but not with Improved Critical.

A 25 No.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-07, 07:52 AM
A 26 No.

You're confused about what "holding the charge" means. As soon as you finish casting a melee touch spell, your hands are holding the charge -- that's it. The rules have an exception to the usual limit of actions in one round that permits discharging a touch spell in the same round in which it is cast. This would allow you to cast Air Walk, move to your friend, and touch them (automatically) in the same round. However, touching them discharges the spell, as usual; you would no longer be "holding the charge" after that. Alternatively, you could continue to hold the charge and be able to discharge the spell (using the normal rules for such actions) at some later time whenever you first touch another creature. A held charge will be discharged as soon as you touch an appropriate target (any creature Gargantuan or smaller for Air Walk) -- regardless of your desires, and regardless of whether the creature is friend or foe.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-07, 08:02 AM
A 27 No.

(I'm assuming you're talking about something like the Child of Shadow stance, which is not specifically a feature of the Swordsage class.) Darkvision does not have any particular ability to overcome concealment in general. It will only help when the concealment is due to non-magical lighting conditions: shadowy illumination or less. The Child of Shadow stance is Supernatural (i.e., magical), and thus darkvision provides no help in countering its concealment.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 09:53 AM
If I have a ring of wizardry and am an Ultimate Magus, do I now have just a ridiculous amount of spell slots? :smallsmile:

Douglas
2009-06-07, 10:08 AM
A28

Whether the amount of spell slots you have is ridiculous or not is not a rules question. You should start a separate thread if you want to discuss that.:smalltongue:

If you meant "Does the Ring of Wizardry double spell slots for both base classes at once?", then the answer is yes. A Sorcerer/Wizard/Ultimate Magus with a Ring of Wizardry I will have his first level spell slots for both Sorcerer and Wizard doubled.

afroakuma
2009-06-07, 10:14 AM
A28

Whether the amount of spell slots you have is ridiculous or not is not a rules question. You should start a separate thread if you want to discuss that.:smalltongue:

If you meant "Does the Ring of Wizardry double spell slots for both base classes at once?", then the answer is yes. A Sorcerer/Wizard/Ultimate Magus with a Ring of Wizardry I will have his first level spell slots for both Sorcerer and Wizard doubled.

Highly awesome. :smallamused:

Maxymiuk
2009-06-07, 01:44 PM
Q29

Can rays and/or touch attacks that damage ability scores (Ray of Enfeeblement etc.) score a critical hit?

Douglas
2009-06-07, 02:29 PM
A29

1) Yes. See page 85 of Complete Arcane for details.
2) Ray of Enfeeblement is a bad example. Despite what the summary line says, this spell does not deal ability damage. It inflicts an ability score penalty instead. This means a) it can affect creatures that are immune to ability damage; b) it does not stack with itself; c) it cannot be dealt with by spells like Restoration; d) it can be dealt with by Dispel Magic; and e) it cannot crit.

RiceMaxi
2009-06-07, 08:06 PM
Q 30

A. 18

You can find the relevant details here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly), or in the back of any Monster Manual. There's also some information about tactical aerial movement on page 20 of the 3.5 DMG, including a nice table.

Thank you very much KillianHawkeye, they were very useful, and I think I understand them, but how does combat work? Is it just that you can't make a full round action unless you are hovering? I would think if you have to maintain a minimum forward speed that you wouldn't be able to make an attack without massive penalties. Say a Raptoran with Poor maneuverability was using a footbow. Would they get to use their standard action as long as they used their move action for at least half of their movement speed?

Also, just to verify, when the table says Turn 45degrees/10 ft. Does this mean that on a square grid, a Raptoran would move 2 squares (10 ft) forward, and then have to go diagonal for 2 squares, then left 2 squares, then diagonally back and left 2 squares, and then finally back the direction he came from, meaning he has to move 50 feet to turn 180 degrees, and still ends up 6 squares (30 ft) to the left of where he started?

krko
2009-06-07, 09:32 PM
A 26 No.

You're confused about what "holding the charge" means. As soon as you finish casting a melee touch spell, your hands are holding the charge -- that's it. The rules have an exception to the usual limit of actions in one round that permits discharging a touch spell in the same round in which it is cast. This would allow you to cast Air Walk, move to your friend, and touch them (automatically) in the same round. However, touching them discharges the spell, as usual; you would no longer be "holding the charge" after that. Alternatively, you could continue to hold the charge and be able to discharge the spell (using the normal rules for such actions) at some later time whenever you first touch another creature. A held charge will be discharged as soon as you touch an appropriate target (any creature Gargantuan or smaller for Air Walk) -- regardless of your desires, and regardless of whether the creature is friend or foe.

Q31
So why does that rule say "You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action"? Does that I mean if I take the full round action option, the first person touch will be the only one to receive the spell?

Douglas
2009-06-07, 10:11 PM
A31

Correct. The full round touching option is there for spells such as Teleport that are touch range but can target multiple creatures. It is useless in combination with any spell that specifies a single target.

Tyrael
2009-06-07, 11:27 PM
Q32

Does a full-round attack allow you to perform multiple standard-action attacks? Specifically, do the iterative attacks of a full-round attack count as standard actions?

Relevant quotes:

A standard action allows you to do something. The most common type of standard action is an attack--a single melee or ranged attack.

Making an attack is a standard action.

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough...you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-07, 11:46 PM
A 32 No.

Attacks are the things that the various attack actions are composed of:
Standard action attack: usually 1 attack
Full attack: iterative attacks based on your BAB
Attack of Opportunity (AoO)
Bonus attack (such as granted by Improved Trip feat)
A standard action attack is not a subset of any other action type. A full attack is its own action type, with its own rules.

Douglas
2009-06-07, 11:50 PM
A32

No. Your second quote means that making a single attack is one example of a standard action, not that every attack is a standard action, and certainly not that attacks can be exchanged for other standard actions.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-08, 01:39 AM
A. 30

Thank you very much KillianHawkeye, they were very useful, and I think I understand them, but how does combat work? Is it just that you can't make a full round action unless you are hovering? I would think if you have to maintain a minimum forward speed that you wouldn't be able to make an attack without massive penalties. Say a Raptoran with Poor maneuverability was using a footbow. Would they get to use their standard action as long as they used their move action for at least half of their movement speed?

That is mostly correct. You can take whatever actions you want on your turn, however if your maneuverability isn't good or perfect and you do not maintain your minimum forward speed (with a move action) you will fall at the end of your turn. It is this fact which prohibits non-hovering characters from taking a full-round action, as a full-round action isn't completed until just before the beginning of your next turn, and you begin falling (and presumably lose your action) at the end of the current turn.

Also, just to verify, when the table says Turn 45degrees/10 ft. Does this mean that on a square grid, a Raptoran would move 2 squares (10 ft) forward, and then have to go diagonal for 2 squares, then left 2 squares, then diagonally back and left 2 squares, and then finally back the direction he came from, meaning he has to move 50 feet to turn 180 degrees, and still ends up 6 squares (30 ft) to the left of where he started?

That's correct. "Turn == 45 degrees/10 ft." means that you can turn 45 degrees after moving 10 ft. in a straight line. Thus, in order to turn 180 degrees, you must turn 4 times, just as you said in your example.

I think you've got a pretty good handle on how this works, but if you need additional info you should feel free to start a thread about this topic.

Da'Shain
2009-06-08, 02:43 AM
Q33
Star Wars Saga Edition

Really simple question that seems like it should be blindingly obvious, but for some reason I'm just not getting it.

Most prestige classes have the requirement "Minimum Level: 7th" (after they Errata'd out "Heroic"). I take this to mean that, if you meet the prerequisites, you can take a prestige class upon reaching 7th level, because that seems to be how it's worded. However, the book itself seems to not follow this. The characters in the "Eras of Play" section all seem to have 7 levels of base classes before any prestige classes are taken. Furthermore, there's this example at the beginning of the chapter on prestige classes.

For example, a scout could potentially take his first level of bounty hunter as an 8th-level character.This despite it obviously being possible to meet the prereqs for BH as a scout before 8th level.

If this is stupid, sorry, but "minimum level = 7" really seems worded so that you can take it as your 7th level class.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-08, 05:57 AM
A. 33 No.

You have to meet the prerequisites for feats/talents/prestige classes before you can take them. According to the level up process, choosing a class to level in is, like, the first step. You are not actually level 7 until you choose a class. This is why you can't choose a prestige class that requires you to be level 7 until you reach your 8th character level. It's a little confusing at first, I agree, but your first possible prestige level is definitely level 8.

JeenLeen
2009-06-08, 10:06 AM
Q 34

3.5: In what book is the Kobold domain listed? What is its granted power?

theterran
2009-06-08, 10:12 AM
Q35(3.5)

Can I use a Domain Slot to Spontaneously cast a "Cure" spell?

Duke of URL
2009-06-08, 11:06 AM
A. 35

No (emphasis mine):

Spontaneous Casting

A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

Origomar
2009-06-08, 11:51 AM
Q36
its probably very simple but on the monster guide it says for an attack Bite + melee 1d6+3, what does that mean? does it mean they can attack and do nine damage with bite or they can do 1d6+3 with bite? or something x.x?

Duke of URL
2009-06-08, 12:24 PM
A. 36

The format is usually something of the form:

Attack name +x <melee or ranged> (mdn + modifiers)

Translated:

name - simply, the name of the attack
x - the normal attack bonus (AB) without circumstanial modifiers
<melee or ranged> - specifies the attack type
mdn - base damage dice
modifiers - additional damage modifiers

So: "Bite +x melee 1d6+3" means that it has a melee attack that is a bite with an AB of +x; a successful attack does 1d6+3 damage (4-9). Since no critical range or multiplier is specified, it crits on a 20 for x2 damage.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 01:13 PM
A 34

It's not in a book. Instead, it's in a WotC web enhancement for Races of the Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-08, 01:35 PM
Q 37

Are there any domains that grant the Endurance feat or a Diehard-type effect as a granted power?

Duke of URL
2009-06-08, 01:52 PM
A. 37

The Renewal domain (PGF) is probably the closest -- it grants temporary HP if you've been reduced between 0 and -9 HP.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 01:56 PM
A 37

Not exactly. (I've checked about 120 domains). In addition to Renewal, there is an Endurance domain (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 86) but its granted power is to add an enhancement bonus to Constitution equal to one-half your level for 1 minute daily.

Origomar
2009-06-08, 04:01 PM
Q 38 with the repeating crossbow it says reloading the new crossbow bolt(not the set of 5) is a free action, does this mean you can fire all 5 bolts in one round or that you just dont need to have a full action to reload it tnext round?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 04:32 PM
A 38

Pulling the reloading lever just moves a bolt from the magazine to the firing position, and doesn't have anything to do with actually reloading the magazine. As long as you have bolts in the magazine you can fire at your maximum attack rate. If your full attack allowed 5 shots (from some combinarion of iterative attacks, Rapid Shot, and Haste) you could empty the magazine in one round. Whenever your magazine runs empty, loading the magazine from a case of 5 bolts will take a full round. The rules don't specify the time to load less than a full case of 5 bolts into the magazine.

Aramil Liadon
2009-06-08, 06:25 PM
Q 39
Where would one find feats that improve the ability to sunder?

RTGoodman
2009-06-08, 06:35 PM
A 39 Partial

Well, the Improved Sunder feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedSunder) is in the Player's Handbook and the SRD. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 06:47 PM
A 39

Focused Sunder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#focusedSunder) is in Expanded Psionics Handbook. Ranged Sunder is in Complete Warrior. And at Epic levels, Epic Sunder (Complete Warrior) becomes an option.

Origomar
2009-06-08, 06:51 PM
Q40 sorry shouldve included this, but im not sure if im reading it wrong or not but it seems like in the rules you can fire a normal crossbow in each hand without penalty. is that right?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 07:08 PM
A 40 No.
Normally, operating a light crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a light crossbow with one hand at a -2 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a light crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing. So your penalties would be -6 (main hand)/-10 (off hand) normally when firing a light crossbow in each hand. With Two-Weapon Fighting these penalties drop to -4/-4.
Normally, operating a heavy crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a heavy crossbow with one hand at a -4 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a heavy crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two one-handed weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing.So your penalties would be -10 (main hand)/-14 (off hand) normally when firing a heavy crossbow in each hand. With Two-Weapon Fighting these penalties drop to -8/-8.

Renly
2009-06-08, 07:58 PM
Q41

A Dracolich is cursed (via Greater Bestow Curse) before it is destroyed. When it re-inhabits a nearby body, is the curse still in place, or was it tied to the body that was destroyed?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-08, 09:53 PM
A 41

The curse remains. The target of Greater Bestow Curse is a creature, not the creature's current body. The same would hold for a cursed creature who died and was the subject of a Reincarnate spell.

quick_comment
2009-06-08, 11:44 PM
Q42

If a dragon applies a metabreath feat and a metabreath spell to a breath, do they interact? For instance, if a dragon uses clinging breath feat in the same breath that he uses the breath substitution spell, does the clinging part of the breath get substituted? Or for another example, maximize breath and enervating breath

Kosjsjach
2009-06-08, 11:55 PM
I know I should know better, but I don't, so I'm asking.

Q 43
In 3.5, do you only get multiple attacks per round once your BAB from class levels equals 6 (+6/+1), or can you take the -5 penalty on a second attack before reaching that point?
For example, your BAB is 5, your Str mod is +4, and you're Small, giving you +10 to attack. Can you attack twice at +10/+5?

Sallera
2009-06-09, 12:38 AM
A 43

Only BAB grants iteratives, at 6, 11, and 16.

Soronhen
2009-06-09, 12:41 AM
Q44

Are extra attacks made with the cleave feat made with the same damage multipliers as the first attack when made charging with a lance while mounted?

Duke of URL
2009-06-09, 07:16 AM
A. 44

Maybe.

Let's start with the description of Cleave:

Prerequisites: Str 13, Power Attack.
Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
Special: A fighter may select Cleave as one of his fighter bonus feats.]

The feat specifically grants the same AB bonuses, but doesn't say anything in particular about damage bonuses. What it does say is that you get an extra melee attack. So a bonus or penalty that applies specifically to a single attack is not "carried over" to a cleave attempt, but any other situational bonuses or penalties that are good over multiple attacks would apply to a successful cleave attack.

Now, it all comes down to adjudication. Is the extra attack granted by Cleave still considered part of the charge? The description for Charge would indicate no, as you may only make a "single melee attack":

Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.

Complicating this is the Pounce ability, which allows certain creatures to make a full attack on a charge, so there is precedent for saying that additional attacks that are made during a charge -- if you have some way of getting them -- can be considered part of the charge.

At this point, we leave RAW and have to look at RAI and common-sense. Personally, I would rule that if the cleave attempt was against another opponent already in the line of the charge, then the double damage would apply, otherwise only regular damage. Other referees might rule differently.

Origomar
2009-06-09, 10:28 AM
Q45 Ive found out about everything to find out about making characters, but i still cant find this in the core set of rules(online version). How many feats do you start out with at level 1 and how do you get feats through leveling?

Duke of URL
2009-06-09, 10:29 AM
A. 45

Refer to the Player's Handbook (PH) for character creation and advancement rules; such rules are not open content.

quick_comment
2009-06-09, 10:41 AM
Q46

If a spell (such as antimagic ray) lists the save as : Will (object) does this mean the save ONLY applies to attended objects, or creatures, as well as attended objects?

JeenLeen
2009-06-09, 10:45 AM
Q 47

Can one use a metamagic wand to enhance a spell being cast into a Warweaver's (Heros of Battle) weave?

(Note: primarily thinking of Extend.)

Curmudgeon
2009-06-09, 10:54 AM
A 46

Confusing stuff removed. Thanks for pointing out my error, douglas.

EDIT: Just in case you missed this, here's what the spell says about attended objects.
The spell doesn’t affect any ojects other than the subject itself, even if those objects are worn, carried by, or in contact with the subject. For instance, if a creature is the target, its equipment remains unaffected. This applies to objects on a targeted creature. An attended object must be targeted directly with Antimagic Ray.

Douglas
2009-06-09, 11:02 AM
A46 correction

The SRD has this to say on the subject:

(object)

The spell can be cast on objects, which receive saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, or the like) by a creature resisting the spell, in which case the object uses the creature’s saving throw bonus unless its own bonus is greater. (This notation does not mean that a spell can be cast only on objects. Some spells of this sort can be cast on creatures or objects.) A magic item’s saving throw bonuses are each equal to 2 + one-half the item’s caster level.

Antimagic Ray can be aimed at a creature or an object. A creature gets a save to negate the spell. An unattended nonmagical object gets no save (not that it matters, since the spell would have no effect on such an item). An attended object gets a save with a bonus equal to the better of its bearer's bonus or 2+half the object's caster level. An unattended magic item gets a save with a bonus equal to 2+half the item's caster level.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-09, 11:11 AM
A 47 Yes.

The spell level limit remains in effect, but metamagic rods do not change the spell slot.
The maximum level of spell you can cast into an eldritch tapestry is equal to your (War Weaver) class level.
Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat but do not change the spell slot of the altered spell.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-09, 11:18 AM
Re: A 46

Thanks for the correction, douglas. Sometimes (frequently) my brain takes a while to get up to speed in the morning. I'll edit out the confusion in my earlier post.

RelentlessImp
2009-06-09, 01:24 PM
Q 48 (D&D 3.5)

When creating undead via animate undead, does the HD limit apply to the HD of the corpse pre-animate undead, or, if making a zombie (which doubles the HD, if I'm not mistaken) the HD of the creature after it's created?

IE, if I make a zombie out of a Wyrmling Red Dragon (9HD), is it the 9HD of the 'living' version of the creature or the 18HD of the 'zombiefied' version that counts against the animate dead HD limit?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-09, 01:38 PM
A 48

It's the post-doubling number for zombies.
No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level. Before Animate Dead they're not undead; it's the undead HD limit that applies. So you can control twice as many same-level skeletons as zombies.

quick_comment
2009-06-09, 08:21 PM
Q49

Can artificers make wands and scrolls of their infusions?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-09, 09:33 PM
A 49 Yes.

Artificer infusions are neither arcane nor divine, so any scrolls they create will require Use Magic Device. Wands created by an Artificer containing infusions that duplicate spells would be useable by anyone who had that spell on their class list. The Artificer would still need Use Magic Device to trigger the wand.

Eldrys
2009-06-09, 10:28 PM
Q 50

Can you take the feat Weapon focus (natural weapon), or do you have to take Weapon focus (bite) or (talon)

Thurbane
2009-06-09, 10:50 PM
A. 050

The Weapon Focus must be applied to a specific natural attack (i.e. bite, claw, tentacle, gore, slam etc.)

warrl
2009-06-10, 01:23 AM
Q51

D&D3.5
Question is about timing of Spiritual Weapon attacks. I find the wording a bit unclear, but I think it's one of these two:

A)

Round 1: cast the spell
Round 2: Weapon gets a single attack on initial target
caster-level - 1 additional rounds: Weapon gets either a full-round attack on current target, or a move and a single attack on a new target

B)

Round 1: cast the spell, Weapon immediately gets a single attack on initial target
caster-level - 1 additional rounds: as above.

Which is it, or did I get something more seriously wrong?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 02:30 AM
A 51 B)
It strikes the opponent you designate, starting with one attack in the round the spell is cast and continuing each round thereafter on your turn. (The only thing you got wrong was not being patient enough to find the line I quoted.)

Duke of URL
2009-06-10, 09:07 AM
Q. 52

The Church Inquisitor prestige class offers a class feature that make the church inquisitor immune to spells with the Compulsion sub-school of Enchantment. However, there are some beneficial/non-harmful spells within that sub-school (e.g., aid, good hope, prayer, etc.). Is the church inquisitor unable to benefit from these spells, or can (s)he selectively allow certain compulsions to affect him/her?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 11:45 AM
A 52
A church inquisitor of 5th level or higher is immune to all compulsion spells and effects. There are no options; the immunity is total. Church Inquisitors cannot benefit from Aid and similar spells.

Duke of URL
2009-06-10, 11:47 AM
A. 52

(After a little research, I answered my own question... a bot of a faux pas, to be sure, but nonetheless...)

Edit: I also see we have a discrepancy in answers...

The church inquisitor would indeed be able to be affected by those spells (emphasis mine):

Spell Immunity

A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome. Sometimes spell immunity is conditional or applies to only spells of a certain kind or level. Spells that do not allow spell resistance are not affected by spell immunity.

Spell Resistance

Spell resistance is the extraordinary ability to avoid being affected by spells. (Some spells also grant spell resistance.)

To affect a creature that has spell resistance, a spellcaster must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) at least equal to the creature’s spell resistance. (The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks.) If the caster fails the check, the spell doesn’t affect the creature. The possessor does not have to do anything special to use spell resistance. The creature need not even be aware of the threat for its spell resistance to operate.

Only spells and spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance. Extraordinary and supernatural abilities (including enhancement bonuses on magic weapons) are not. A creature can have some abilities that are subject to spell resistance and some that are not. Even some spells ignore spell resistance; see When Spell Resistance Applies, below.

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature’s next turn. At the beginning of the creature’s next turn, the creature’s spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

A creature with spell resistance cannot impart this power to others by touching them or standing in their midst. Only the rarest of creatures and a few magic items have the ability to bestow spell resistance upon another.

Spell resistance does not stack. It overlaps.

Since immunity behaves as infinite resistance, according to the rules of spell resistance, a creature can voluntarily lower the resistance. This does come at the cost of an action and being potentially affected by unfriendly spells until the next round.

Additionally, the church inquisitor, by the strictest reading of the RAW, cast such spells directly on himself or herself without the immunity kicking in. (It may not be RAI, but it is RAW.)

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 12:47 PM
Re: A 52

Our difference stems from this:
A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome.I read the "it cannot be overcome" exception to mean exactly what it says -- including by character choice. If we were to assume spell immunity could be voluntarily lowered and allow spells that specify SR, some rules limitations would be no limitations at all. For example:
Healing Immunity: Starting at 3rd level, as a warforged juggernaut becomes more like a construct and less like a living creature, it becomes immune to the effects of spells from the healing subschool.
Conjuration (Healing)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text I stand by my answer: spell immunity cannot be overcome.

Thyferra2680
2009-06-10, 01:03 PM
Q53: Magic Domain

Since most of these spells are from the Arcane school of thought, would I suffer from arcane spell failure checks for using them in armor as a Cleric?

Q54: Now on the other side,
A wizard who get's domain spells through that feat in Complete Divine.... Does he cast those for free in armor (A weird thought, yes...)? Or is it subject to arcane spell failure?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 01:13 PM
A 53 No.

All Clerical spells are divine spells. Arcane Spell Failure chance does not apply to divine spells (unless you take the Divine Gesture flaw from Dragon # 326). The fact that some Clerical spells also appear on arcane spell lists does not make them other than divine for Clerics.

A 54 No.
Choose a deity, and then select a domain available to clerics of that deity. You can learn to cast the spells associated with that domain as arcane spells. As arcane spells, ASF chance applies as usual.

Fitz10019
2009-06-10, 06:03 PM
Q55
3.5e

A cleric has a rebuked undead as bodyguard.
The undead creature will be free when:
1. the cleric decides to free it
2. the cleric dies
3. the cleric falls to -1 hitpoints or lower

Does this change for a rebuked Plant creature, or an Elemental, or other rebuked creature type?

Fitz10019
2009-06-10, 06:23 PM
Q56
3.5e

If a spell has the descriptor is Evil, is casting the spell an evil act? For instance, using Summon Monster # to summon a feindish creature.

Eldrys
2009-06-10, 06:52 PM
Q 57

are there natural attacks that always deal more damage than others.

For example, if the talon natural attack did 1d6 damage while the bite attack of a creature of the same size did 1d8 points of damage.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 07:19 PM
A 56 Yes.
When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type. Summoning an evil creature is an evil act, just as summoning a chaotic creature is a chaotic act.
Appearing on the same line as the school and subschool, when applicable, is a descriptor that further categorizes the spell in some way. Some spells have more than one descriptor.

The descriptors are acid, air, chaotic, cold, darkness, death, earth, electricity, evil, fear, fire, force, good, language-dependent, lawful, light, mind-affecting, sonic, and water.

Most of these descriptors have no game effect by themselves, but they govern how the spell interacts with other spells, with special abilities, with unusual creatures, with alignment, and so on.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-10, 07:32 PM
A 55

The answer to the question actually posed is 10 rounds.
A rebuked undead creature cowers as if in awe (attack rolls against the creature get a +2 bonus). The effect lasts 10 rounds. If you actually meant a commanded creature rather than a rebuked one, the answers are 1) and 2).
At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level. He may voluntarily relinquish command on any commanded undead creature or creatures in order to command new ones. The cleric no longer has levels after death; the body is then just an object (at least until brought back to life) and thus the limit on HD of undead commanded is zero.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-10, 11:04 PM
Q 58

Does the artificer infusion Metamagic Item still require you to spend extra charges when using the item with metamagic as per normal? Or could I infuse a wand of fireball with the Quickened Metamagic feat via this infusion, and cast quickened fireballs for 1 round/level for one charge each?

MichielHagen
2009-06-11, 03:32 AM
Q59 DnD 3.5

The Eternal Training ability from an Eternal Blade (ToB), is the maneuver you choose to receive also readied? effectively increasing your total maneuvers readied for that encounter?

Divinech
2009-06-11, 03:42 AM
Q60
I need some clarification on Leap Attack (the Errata-Version):
If I Power Attack for 5 points of base attack with a 2-handed weapon and a successfull leap attack, how much bonus damage do I deal?
+15 (because the doubling of a doubling equals a tripling) ?
+20 (because +10 normal and then +100% equals +20) ?

Edit:
Okay, thanks alot :)

theterran
2009-06-11, 07:21 AM
Q61 (3.5)

Does retaining the shield bonus with Improved Buckler Defense work with firing a bow as well?

Q62 (3.5)

Does Weapon Finesse work with Touch Attacks?

Epinephrine
2009-06-11, 09:38 AM
Question withdrawn...

Duke of URL
2009-06-11, 09:43 AM
A. 62

Yes.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-11, 09:59 AM
A 58

Does the artificer infusion Metamagic Item still require you to spend extra charges when using the item with metamagic as per normal? No.
You temporarily apply a metamagic feat you know to a single spell contained within a spell trigger item. For the duration of this infusion, anyone who casts that spell from the item gains the benefit of that metamagic feat. As this benefit works for everyone, it's not linked to the Artificer's Metamagic Spell Trigger class ability. No extra charges are used.
Or could I infuse a wand of fireball with the Quickened Metamagic feat via this infusion, and cast quickened fireballs for 1 round/level for one charge each? Yes. With the Complete Arcane update making Quickened spells swift actions, and the Magic Item Compendium update making a wand containing a swift action spell use a swift action to trigger, you would be able to send one Fireball each round as a swift action. But for the duration of Metamagic Item the wand could not be used to send a Fireball as a standard action.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-11, 10:03 AM
A 61 No.
When you attack with a weapon in your off-hand, you may still apply your buckler's shield bonus to your Armor Class. While you attack with a bow using two hands you are not specifically attacking with an off hand weapon, nor are you taking the penalties for off-hand attacks. Improved Buckler Defense provides no benefit.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-11, 10:17 AM
A 60

I need some clarification on Leap Attack (the Errata-Version):
If I Power Attack for 5 points of base attack with a 2-handed weapon and a successfull leap attack, how much bonus damage do I deal? You add extra damage equal to the normal bonus provided by Power Attack, another 5 points.

If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat.
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

Special: If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls. Leap Attack (with erratum) specifies 100% of the normal bonus; the two-handed weapon bonus is a special benefit of Power Attack, not the normal benefit. You get +10 points from Power Attack using its special case bonus for a two-handed weapon, and another +5 points from Leap Attack. The D&D multiplying rules do not apply because the updated Leap Attack feat uses addition instead of multiplication to update your Power Attack bonus.

Stormthorn
2009-06-11, 10:24 AM
Q 63

If i have Two-Weapon Fighting and my offhand attack is light and i have the Deepspawn Feat and a BaB of +7/+2 does my attack look like this:

+5/+0/-2/-5/-5 with the last two attacks being my secondary tentacle strikes? Or are they effected by the offhand weapon penalties too -7/-7?

Q 64 (related to above)

Can i take weapon focus and specialization for my secondary natural attacks? Do my monk abilities work with them?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-11, 10:33 AM
A 59 No.

Eternal Training specifies that the maneuver is granted for one encounter, and nothing more. The normal rules for readying maneuvers still apply.

Duke of URL
2009-06-11, 10:36 AM
A. 63

Unless the Deepspawn feat affects your AB, you should receive the following attacks:

Main hand: +5/+0 (Full AB -2 per attack for TWF, then -5 for second iterative attack)
Off hand: +5 (same as main hand 1st attack when using a light weapon)
Natural attacks: +2/+2 (Full AB -5 per attack for secondary natural weapon)

Edit: Corrected since the description for two-weapon fighting does not say that the penalties apply to other attacks.

A. 64

You may take Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization for any weapon with which you are proficient (you are automatically proficient with any natural attack you have) and otherwise meet the prerequisites.

Edit: @V My ninja-fu is strong...

Curmudgeon
2009-06-11, 10:53 AM
A 63

Two-weapon fighting imposes penalties to your main hand and off hand attacks, but not otherwise. The secondary natural attack penalty for your tentacle strikes is relative to your BAB.

Your attacks would be at

+5 (main; full STR)/+5 (off; ½ STR)/+2 (tentacle; ½ STR)/+2 (tentacle; ½ STR)/+0 (main; full STR).
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. Depending on how your DM parses the above line, you may be constrained to attack with your tentacles before your second main hand blow.

A 64

If you meet the prerequisites for the feats you can take Weapon Focus (tentacle) and Weapon Specialization (tentacle). Tentacles are neither unarmed strikes nor special Monk weapons, so most Monk abilities such as flurry of blows would not work with them.

EDIT: Duke Ninja!

Riffington
2009-06-11, 04:31 PM
Q65.
Does power attack add to your unarmed damage while grappling? If so, does it only subtract from attack rolls (thus harming you only if you damage your opponent via the use a light weapon at -4 action)? or also from grapple checks (such as the opposed grapple check to inflict your unarmed damage on your opponent)?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-12, 12:31 AM
(Please number your questions.)

A 65

Most grapple actions use a grapple check, not an attack. Power Attack only applies to attacks. You would need to use the "Attack Your Opponent" grapple option, and the feat would apply as usual to the weapon you use (unarmed attack, light weapon, or natural attack) for a 1:1 ratio of attack bonus lost to extra damage gained. Your attack would also take the standard -4 penalty for being used in a grapple. Power Attack would provide neither a penalty to attack nor a bonus to damage on other grapple options, such as "Damage Your Opponent".

Eldrys
2009-06-12, 12:35 AM
Q 66

Is there any natural attack that is always more powerful than any other.

tyckspoon
2009-06-12, 01:05 AM
A 66

No. There are trends- for example, Bites and Slams and other single-attack weapons tend to have higher damage dice than Claws or other attack forms that come in multiples- but there are no hard and fast rules regarding how much damage any given natural weapon does. There *is* a rule for advancing a weapon's damage once you have decided where it starts [Table: Smaller and Larger Weapons in the Equipment chapter] but nothing on figuring out where to start on the table.

Trouvere
2009-06-12, 06:02 AM
Q 67

Is a Paladin of Freedom who is immune to compulsions unavoidably unaffected by allies' beneficial spells such as Bless, Aid, Heroism, Prayer and so forth?

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 06:28 AM
A. 67

Maybe. Q 52 on the previous page asked substantially the same question; there is disagreement on the answer based on the RAW, so it is open to interpretation.

Faleldir
2009-06-12, 09:20 AM
Q 68
Does Wolverine Stance apply to one-handed weapons held in both hands?

JeenLeen
2009-06-12, 09:49 AM
Q 69

If I hit an enemy with a spell and it overcomes their spell resistance (they have SR and my caster check succeeds), do I know I overcame their SR and thus know that they have SR?

Likewise, if I cast a spell and it does not overcome SR, do I know that that is why it failed?

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 10:27 AM
A. 69

Knowing whether or not a creature has spell resistance is generally subject to a successful (enough) knowledge check in the appropriate sub-skill for the creature type. Failing that, you could resort to experimentation.

If the creature is unaffected by a spell, regardless of what you the player knows, the character only knows that the creature is unaffected. If the spell offers both resistance and saving throws, the character has no way of knowing which -- if either (the creature may have some other form of immunity) -- was used to avoid the spell's effects.

Experimentation would require using spells that do not offer saving throws; this would limit the options to spell resistance or some form of immunity.

theterran
2009-06-12, 10:47 AM
Q70 (3.5)

Does the Monk's belt confer the Wis bonus to AC?

Q70a

If so, does it hold the same restrictions about being unarmored?

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 10:56 AM
A. 70

Given the item description:

This simple rope belt, when wrapped around a character’s waist, confers great ability in unarmed combat. The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher. If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day. If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

you would get the Wisdom bonus to AC and be subject to the restrictions on armor, as far as AC is concerned ("This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.")

There is no reason to believe that the unarmed damage or Stunning Fist enhancements are impeded by armor, however.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-12, 12:45 PM
A 68 Yes.

Using a one-handed weapon in two hands provides no benefit on opposed grapple checks, but you would be able to add 1½ times your STR bonus on weapon damage rolls, as usual.

Demons_eye
2009-06-12, 01:18 PM
Q:71
If it;s covered by the open game thing can some one tell me the racial things on a Cheshire Cat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) Its all the way down.

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 01:22 PM
Re: Q. 71

Can you restate the question as to what you're asking for? I.e., a conversion of the creature entry to a "playable race" format, or something else? And do note, this was an "April Fool's Day" article.

Demons_eye
2009-06-12, 01:26 PM
The Cheshire Cat has an LA so I assume it can be played by a player but I cannot find racial stats or anything. Can you play one or is my assuming that LA=playable is wrong? Edit: my dm wont care if it was April fools.

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 01:37 PM
A. 71

Using the normal methods for converting a monster description to a playable race:

Abilities: -8 STR, +6 DEX, +2 WIS, +4 CHA
Small: As a Small creature, a cheshire cat gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, although his lifting and carrying limits equals that of a Medium character.
Cheshire cat base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A cheshire cat begins with three levels of fey, which provide 3d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3.
Low-Light Vision: A cheshire cat can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Gains spellcasting as a sorcerer of 3rd level
DR 5/cold iron
Controlled Invisibility (Su): A Cheshire cat can become wholly or partially invisible at will. Whenever it uses this ability, it can choose the precise portions of its body that become invisible. If it chooses to leave any portion of its body visible, it gains partial concealment (20% miss chance); otherwise it has total concealment (50% miss chance). Activating this ability or changing the degree of concealment it grants is a standard action. A Cheshire cat often chooses to leave only its smile, which is unusually wide and rather unfeline, visible.
+4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, Jump, and Move Silently checks. In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, its Hide bonus rises to +8. For running jumps, its Jump bonus is +8.
+8 racial bonus on Balance checks
Uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb and Jump checks.
Bonus feats; Eschew Materials, Weapon Finesse
Natural Attacks: claw/claw (1d2), bite (1d3)
Level Adjustment: +3

Demons_eye
2009-06-12, 01:38 PM
Thank you very much

FinalJustice
2009-06-12, 01:42 PM
Q:72

What are the rules for casting underwater? Aside the Spellcraft check for fire spells, I couldn't seem to find any.

Duke of URL
2009-06-12, 01:49 PM
Thank you very much

No problem. Make sure you see the edit, which includes the RHD I had forgotten. Without the RHD, it's ridiculously overpowered (LA +3 for positive CHA adjustment + 3 levels of sorcerer?)

theterran
2009-06-12, 02:27 PM
Q73 (3.5)

If I wildshape into another form, but I have an armor with the "Wild" enhancement, am I considered armored while in that form? (Specifically concerning the Monk's Belt)

Curmudgeon
2009-06-12, 03:20 PM
A 73 Yes.
The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen. While the armor cannot be seen, it is still there and you are still wearing it.
When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement and flurry of blows abilities. You would lose those Monk class benefits while wearing the armor, regardless of whether it had the wild enhancement.

Faleldir
2009-06-12, 03:50 PM
Q 74

his power transforms your body into living oak, which grants you several advantages.
Your unarmed attacks deal damage equal to a club sized for you (1d4 for Small characters, 1d6 for Medium characters), and you are considered armed when making unarmed attacks. When you make a full attack against an object or structure using your unarmed strike, you deal double damage.
If my unarmed strike normally deals more damage, do I have a choice?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-12, 07:20 PM
A 74 No.

The Oak Body power sets fixed damage for your unarmed attacks. Best not to use it if your unarmed damage is normally greater.

tr0ck
2009-06-12, 10:42 PM
Allright. So here's the deal. I am trying to figure out a way to build a Psion for a Western Marches campaign(DnD 3.5), and one of my major choices in powers at third level is going to be Cloud Mind. My question is that if I have a target under the influence of my Cloud Mind, and I manifest a Mind Thrust targeting that creature, and I make the Concentration check to remove the display of the power, does that creature get a second save on the Cloud Mind power?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/cloudMind.htm Cloud Mind Rules.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindThrust.htm Mind Thrust Rules

Curmudgeon
2009-06-13, 12:15 AM

A 75 No.

You overlooked an important element of Cloud Mind:
If you attack the subject creature, the effect ends.

Origomar
2009-06-13, 12:50 AM
Q76 Is there really any diffrence between 2d6 and 1d12 with the damage rolls of great axe and greatsword, and if there is why would they give the advantage over one weapon, why would there be any point in using that weapon?

Edit: ah nevermind i figured it out i feel stoopid now

MichielHagen
2009-06-13, 03:25 AM
Q77 DnD 3.5

If you are fighting with two-weapons, can you only make the extra attack on a full attack, not as a standard action?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-13, 03:39 AM
A 77 That's correct.
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. There are some feats and class abilities that allow extra attacks on a standard action, but as usual these are exceptions to the normal rules.

MichielHagen
2009-06-13, 07:11 AM
Q78 DnD 3.5

If you multiclass between a Swordsage/Warblade.
Can the maneuvres you have in one class be used to provide the prerequisites for a maneuvre in the other class?

Douglas
2009-06-13, 08:33 AM
A78

Yes.

JeminiZero
2009-06-13, 02:52 PM
Q. 79

Looking at the text for Ascetic Mage (Complete Adventurer pg 105), it does not seem to specify that you have to be a monk or ninja to apply your Cha to AC. Could a Swordsage than apply Ascetic mage and get Cha rather than Wis bonus to AC?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-13, 03:51 PM
A 79 Yes.

You would be able to add your CHA bonus instead of WIS to your AC as a Swordsage with Ascetic Mage. However, you would not be able to stack any class levels to determine that AC bonus except for Sorcerer and Monk; Swordsage does not qualify for that benefit of the feat.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-13, 08:02 PM
Q 80 [3.5]

A guard dog costs 25gp. Nowhere I looked said differently, so I assume this means the dog has been trained for Guarding as explained in the Handle Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm) skill: it knows the tricks attack, defend, down, and guard.
Teaching a dog to track by scent has a Handle Animal DC of 20. Where are the rules dictating how much it would cost to hire someone to preform a skill (specifically, teaching a guard dog to track)?
Is it required that the owner of a dog has ranks in Handle Animal?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-13, 09:52 PM
A 80

To command a guard dog you must make a DC 10 Handle Animal check. This is a trained-only skill, so you cannot successfully handle the animal for this purpose without ranks in Handle Animal. The dog, while trained to guard, will not do so unless you make the check.

There are no rules for hiring someone to train an animal. The only guideline is that the minimum cost for a "Trained Hireling" is 3 sp/day. Since training for any specific trick requires at least a week, the cost cannot be lower than 21 sp (2.1 gp). No maximum cost is specified, so it's up to your DM.

Douglas
2009-06-13, 10:26 PM
A80 partial correction

Simply commanding an animal to use a trick it already knows can be done untrained.

Untrained
If you have no ranks in Handle Animal, you can use a Charisma check to handle and push domestic animals, but you can’t teach, rear, or train animals.

Origomar
2009-06-13, 11:14 PM
Q 81 On some abilities like Rainbow Pattern it says it effects a maximum of 24 HD of creatures, i origonally thought that HD meant "Hit dice" and i enterpretted it as the creature is affect if its hit point dice (fighter=10 ranger=8 ect.) was lower or equel it would be affected. But this makesm e not so sure of that theory because i dont know many thingsg with a hit dice of 24 O.o.

what does HD mean and what does it mean when they say a maximum of # hit dice of creatures are effected?

Edit:sorry forgot

Curmudgeon
2009-06-13, 11:30 PM

A 81 HD means Hit Dice (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_HitDie&alpha=H).
Hit Die

In the singular form, a die rolled to generate hit points. In the plural form, a measure of relative power that is synonymous with character level for the sake of spells, magic items, and magical effects that affect a certain number of Hit Dice (HD) of creatures.

Drakevarg
2009-06-13, 11:43 PM
Q 82
DnD 3.5
Posted this as a thread by accident earlier... more likely to get a response here;

I'm a bored and somewhat sadistic spellcaster. My question is: can I cast something along the lines of Symbol of Death on my face as a tattoo? I'd just love the ability to kill everyone in the room by taking off my helmet. :smallamused:

Douglas
2009-06-13, 11:55 PM
A81 expansion

HD almost always means Hit Dice in D&D. In this case and most similar spells and abilities, the maximum hit dice figure is for the total of all creatures affected. A single 25 hit die creature would, of course, be unaffected by Rainbow Pattern. A group of three creatures, two with 8 hit dice and one with 9, would have the 9 hit die creature unaffected.

For a more involved example, suppose you cast Rainbow Pattern and there are 20 creatures in the area, each with a different number of hit dice from 1 to 20. The spell says to go in order by hit dice starting with the fewest. The creature with 1 hit die is affected and must make a save against the spell. That leaves 23 hit dice. The creature with 2 hit dice is affected and leaves 21 remaining. The creatures with 3, 4, and 5 hit dice are affected and leave 9 hit dice remaining. The 6 hit die creature takes off another 6, leaving 3 remaining. The remaining 3 hit dice is insufficient to affect the creature with 7 hit dice or any of the tougher creatures, so they are all unaffected and do not need to make saves. Those final 3 hit dice of the spell's capacity are wasted.

There are some spells and abilities that state a hit dice limit that applies on a per individual creature basis, such as Color Spray. You will have to pay attention to the specific wording to determine which is which, most commonly by whether "creature" is singular or plural in association with the hit dice cap.

evil-frosty
2009-06-14, 12:38 AM
Q.83
DnD 3.5

I am new to using ToB and am going to try it relatively soon. So naturally i have a few questions.First each "school" of the sublime way has these associated weapons, does this in any way matter beyond the swordsages discipline focus ability?

Q.84
DnD 3.5

Can you ready the same maneuver more than once the same way you can prepare the same spell multiple times?

Kosjsjach
2009-06-14, 12:39 AM
Q 85 [3.5]
(Sorry for the back-log, but I'm curious.)

Let's say you start out adventuring with a Con score of 15. If, at level 4, you put your stat boost in Con (bringing you to 16), do you retroactively get an additional 3 hit points from your first 3 levels?

My instinct is to say no, but Con-boosting magic or class features (like Bear's Endurance or Rage) explicitly say they do.

As an addendum, does an Amulet of Health grant additional hit points equal to the bonus provided multiplied by the person's HD?

Douglas
2009-06-14, 12:46 AM
A83

There are a few feats and other class abilities that use discipline favored weapons (Shadow Blade and Bloodclaw Master are two examples), but in general they don't really matter. Any maneuver can be used with any weapon unless it specifically states otherwise.

A84

No. A maneuver is either readied or not readied, you cannot ready multiple copies of it.

A85

Hit point changes due to constitution are always fully retroactive, and every possible way to change constitution also changes hit points unless it specifically states otherwise.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-14, 01:00 AM
A 82

I was curious, so I looked into it; I couldn't find anything saying you couldn't have the symbol tattooed on your face, but there is a problem. After 150 hit points, it will either cease to work or disappear.
If it's on your face, it can't be made permanent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm).

...the following spells can be cast upon objects or areas only and rendered permanent.
[...]Symbol of Death
I don't think a person qualifies.

But don't take my word for it. I'm probably wrong.

Divinech
2009-06-14, 04:27 AM
Q86
Short question about legacy weapons:
I need to perform the least ritual to unlock the least abilities, the lesser ritual to unlock the lesser abilities and the greater ritual to unlock the greater abilities for my character to use. But what are the least/lesser/greater abilities of the legacy weapons?
I assume that the ritual unlocks the abilites granted at the various character levels. But I found no reference which explicitly states which parts of the abilities are granted by the rituals.
(Please note that I do not own the Weapons of Legacy-Book, I simply own the Tome of Battle)

Fitz10019
2009-06-14, 04:46 AM
Q87
D&D 3.5

A) Is a spellbook (with some spells in it) a magical item? (a blank one is 15gp)
B) Does a spellbook (with some spells in it) light up for Detect Magic?
C) Could a spellbook (with some spells in it) that was 'ruined by being soaked in mud' be repaired with the spell Make Whole?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-14, 08:30 AM
A 87

A) No. A spellbook is not magical. It only contains formulas that are informative to someone who knows magic. (For an analogy, a cookbook has zero food calories.)

B) Again, no.

C) Yes, perhaps. Make Whole will repair damage, including ink smeared and pages warped. It won't actually remove the mud, though a simple Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Prestidigitation.htm) will accomplish that task.

Jastermereel
2009-06-14, 11:48 AM
Q 88.

Would a Warforged with a Hat of Disguise (or any other use of Disguise Self) be able to look like a different race or just a different Warforged? What exactly is covered by "You cannot change your body type."? Is that as specific as to exclude hiding your race or just to exclude "disguising" having a different number of limbs, your size or that you are or are not a gelatinous cube?

Kosjsjach
2009-06-14, 12:11 PM
A 88 Er, kinda.

Since you're roughly humanoid in shape, I'd say that it simply gives you the +10 bonus to Disguise. Surprisingly, disguising oneself as a different race only incurs a -2 to the Disguise check.

Drakevarg
2009-06-14, 06:34 PM
Q 89
DnD 3.5

What are the limitations on what objects I can enchant? For example, if I wanted to be a particularly stubborn lich, could I theoretically turn the planet into my phylactery?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-14, 06:42 PM
A 89

The Dungeon Master's Guide and Magic Item Compendium have general rules on adding magical enhancements to items. But a phylactery must meet one of the definitions (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phylactery):

Any charm or amulet worn as a preservative from danger or disease.
(in the early Christian church) a receptacle containing a holy relic.
The Earth is neither a receptacle nor a wearable amulet.

Thorin
2009-06-14, 07:51 PM
Q 90
d&d 3.5

If I use a keen falchion (2d4 / 15-20x2 ) do I automatically hit any enemy (confirming critical or not) on a 15 or more?

I mean, an enemy with 50 of AC has a 25% chance of automatically being hit by this? or still I have to get a 50 or more in my attack roll?

Mando Knight
2009-06-14, 07:56 PM
A 90
No. With any weapon that threatens a critical on a non-20 roll, the attack must also meet the enemy's AC as normal in order to hit and threaten a critical hit on a non-20 roll.

theterran
2009-06-15, 07:25 AM
Q91 (3.5)

If I have the Ascetic Mage Feat (CAdv. 105) but do not have any levels in Monk, if I don a Monk's Belt, will the AC Bonus from the belt get converted from using Wis to Cha by Ascetic Mage?

PanNarrans
2009-06-15, 09:49 AM
Q92 (3.5)

Does using the Sleight of Hand skill to pick pockets cause the spell Invisibility to end?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 11:03 AM
A 91 Yes.

Ascetic Mage will let you add your CHA bonus instead of WIS to your AC -- assuming you meet the prerequisites, which include Improved Unarmed Strike. Note that the Monk's Belt grants the unarmed damage of a Monk, but that's not the same as Improved Unarmed Strike. (The rules prevent you from selecting any feat for which you do not already meet the prerequisites.)

Eldrys
2009-06-15, 11:04 AM
Q 93 3.5

are there any ranged natural attacks?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 11:09 AM
A 92 No.

Invisibility ends when you attack (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_attack&alpha=A).
attack

Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll.
The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. ... Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. There is neither an attack roll nor a spell involved with Sleight of Hand. Removing someone's possessions can only harm them indirectly, and that's specifically excluded from the actions which end Invisibility.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 11:15 AM
A 93

Breath weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#breathWeapon) attacks are one example of a weapon that's naturally part of a creature with ranged effect.

EDIT: The D&D Glossary does not actually define "natural attack". It does define natural weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_naturalweapon&alpha=N), which does not include breath weapon in its list of the most common natural weapons.
Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. So the answer is maybe (by virtue of the term lacking a clear definition), or yes (if you include breath weapons in natural attacks).

Eldrys
2009-06-15, 11:26 AM
Q 94 3.5

What is a nightstick?

quick_comment
2009-06-15, 11:35 AM
Q 94 3.5

What is a nightstick?

A94

Would you like me to show you my nightstick?

Its an item in Libris Mortis that gives the holder an extra 4 turning attempts per day.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 11:36 AM
A 94

A Nightstick is a magical rod found on page 78 of Libris Mortis. It grants four additional uses of the ability to turn/rebuke undead daily to those already capable of doing so.

quick_comment
2009-06-15, 12:51 PM
Q95
Does the effect of the blade of pain and fear spell in libris mortis work with any weapon feats? Does weapon focus: short sword apply to it?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 04:36 PM
A 95

Feats specific to any type of weapon will not work with the spell. A "3-foot-long column of disembodied gnashing teeth" is certainly not a short sword, so Weapon Focus (short sword) cannot apply. Feats that are independent of weapon type (such as Power Attack) will work, though.

quick_comment
2009-06-15, 04:57 PM
A 95

Feats specific to any type of weapon will not work with the spell. A "3-foot-long column of disembodied gnashing teeth" is certainly not a short sword, so Weapon Focus (short sword) cannot apply. Feats that are independent of weapon type (such as Power Attack) will work, though.

There goes my plan to use shadow blade and apply my dex mod to damage with it :(

kyoten
2009-06-15, 05:24 PM
Q. 96 (D&D 3.5)

This question involves the Frostburn supplement.

On page 124 there are the Midgard Dwarves. They have an LA of +4 and a favored class of Fighter. My question is are there noted qualities all they get or do they also get the usual Dwarven benefits?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 06:45 PM
A 96

Midgard Dwarves have a LA of +4 and 8 racial hit dice (ECL 13 as a 1st level character). No mention of the standard Dwarf race is included in their writeup, so the traits listed are not in addition to those.

quick_comment
2009-06-15, 08:24 PM
Q97
If a crusader gains an additional maneuver readied per day through a prestige class, does he also gain an additional maneuver granted?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-15, 09:00 PM
A 97 Yes.

From Tome of Battle, page 96:
If you choose to add the maneuver readied to a martial maneuver progression derived from crusader class levels, you also gain one additional maneuver granted at the beginning of the encounter for each additional maneuver you can ready.

theterran
2009-06-16, 05:36 AM
Q98 (3.5)

If I Wildshape into something w/ a higher Con score than my base character, does my HP increase to match the new Con score like the HP of a Barbarian increases when (s)he rages?

Duke of URL
2009-06-16, 06:05 AM
A. 98

No. Wild shape description says:

This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here

Alternate form says:

The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.

Since the Druid's wild shape feature does not override this, the rules from alternate form hold.

JeenLeen
2009-06-16, 07:53 AM
Q 99

With casting level 10+ spells in 3.5:
How do you determine your total amount of spells per day? Also, what pages of the Epic Player's Handbook is this description given?

As an example: I have a wizard who has an Int sufficient to get 1 bonus spell. Do I have just 1 spell/day, 2 (1 base + 1 bonus from ability modifier), or 3 (1 base + 1 specialty school + 1 bonus from ability modifier)?

Duke of URL
2009-06-16, 08:00 AM
A. 99

i assume you're talking about the epic Improved Spell Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity) feat.

The Improved Spell Capacity feat allows characters to gain spell slots above 9th level (which can be used to hold lower-level spells or spells whose level has been increased beyond 9th by the use of metamagic feats).

The Wizard class description for school specialization says:

A specialist wizard can prepare one additional spell of her specialty school per spell level each day.

So, by strict reading of RAW, since school specialization bonuses are not explicitly denied by Improved Spell Capacity, you should get the extra school specialization spell slot when you gain a new spell level through the feat.

Therefore, you would have 3 10th level slots per day (1 base for taking the feat, 1 from INT bonus, 1 from school specialization).

Blackjackg
2009-06-16, 01:09 PM
Q 100: Just want to confirm my reading of the Full Attack rules from page 299 of the 3.5 MM. My Duskblade/Dragon Disciple has a BAB of +7/+2, and natural bite and claw attacks. Since he's using a 2-handed weapon (greataxe), I assume he can't use his claw attacks. So am I correct in thinking that a full attack for him would be Greataxe +7/Greataxe +2/Bite +2?

Duke of URL
2009-06-16, 01:11 PM
A. 100

Correct.

Narmoth
2009-06-17, 02:18 AM
q 101 d20 modern (future, apocalypse and so on)
I can't find the price of any equipment in the book. Only a DC value. And I can't find any starting cash value either. So I have no Idea what anything costs relatively to, well, anything.
As I understand it, the DC states how hard it is to find it in sale, and thus not the relative price

Edit:
Nevermind: Found it on page 204 in the book

Fishy
2009-06-17, 12:16 PM
Q102

What happens a Medallion of Thought Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#medallionofThoughtProjection) is used by a Daelkyr, or a Daelkyr Half Blood? Is there a Will Save to resist attempting to read the Daelkyr's mind?

Fixer
2009-06-17, 01:11 PM
A102.
The Medallion of Thought Projection, being a cursed item, cannot be used in an offensive manner unless the GM says so (invoking Rule 0). A Daelkyr with such a cursed item on would be projecting thoughts around, but unless someone actually 'listened' to what they were projecting they wouldn't affect them negatively. The Daelkyr wouldn't know they were broadcasting thoughts (because of the item's cursed nature) so this couldn't be used offensively. It would act as a beacon that someone/something is there, but people wouldn't automatically 'listen' to what they Daelkyr was thinking unless they wished to.

To those who wish to listen, I would grant a Will save based on the item (DC 15) to resist the effects of listening in on a Daelkyr's mind.

quick_comment
2009-06-17, 01:31 PM
Q103
Would a wizard with the carmedine monk feat and a monk's belt (but no levels of monk) get to add his int to AC?

Demons_eye
2009-06-17, 03:05 PM
Q:104
If I my first level is rouge then I pick a class that does not have UMD has a class skill do I still buys rank as if it was cuz of the rouge level?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-17, 04:44 PM
A. 104 No.

By RAW, each time you gain a level, you have to spend the skill points according to the skill list of the class you are taking. The skill would, however, still count as a class skill for the purposes of determining your maximum skill rank (your level +3).

Origomar
2009-06-17, 05:03 PM
Q105 if you have a ranged weapon out and your melee weapon is sheathed and someone moves into a square that would be threatened if you had your melee weapon out is there any possible way through feats of a sort to make an AoO?(such as quik draw or something)

quick_comment
2009-06-17, 05:49 PM
A105

Complete Adventurer (And the spell compendium) have the arrow mind spell which lets you take AoOs with ranged weapons.

Origomar
2009-06-17, 06:51 PM
Q. 106

If im a duelist and i use precise strike and score a critical hit is the precise strike damage multiplied as well as the regular damage?

quick_comment
2009-06-17, 07:00 PM
A103
In order to get the Carmendine Monk Feat, the wizard needs at least one level of monk. A monks belt does not bypass this requirement, as a monk's belt does NOT grant monk levels.
If the wizard did have the requirements for the feat, then yes, the character would be able to add his INT but not his Wisdom.

The requirements for the feat are int 13 and being a memer of the zealots of the written word. No monk levels needed

Douglas
2009-06-17, 07:07 PM
A106 correction

You forgot the next sentence following what you quoted:

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

A duelist's precise strike falls under this exception and does not benefit from critical hits.

Edit: Forbiddenwar, please don't delete posts without a good reason. Being wrong is not a good reason for deletion.

powerdemon
2009-06-17, 07:34 PM
Q 107

Can anyone explain the multidexterity and Multiweapon Fighting Feat progression, or point me to a place where I can research it. I've been told that Multidexterity no longer exists, but Multiweapon fighting says it requires it.

On top of that, Multidexterity gets rid of all penalties, while Multiweapon fighting lowers them by 2. :smallmad:

Head hurts now....

Duke of URL
2009-06-17, 08:05 PM
A. 107

It looks like you're mixing 3.0 and 3.5 rules. In 3.5, Multiweapon Fighting is:

Multiweapon Fighting [General]
Prerequisites

Dex 13, three or more hands.

Benefit

Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands.

Normal

A creature without this feat takes a -6 penalty on attacks made with its primary hand and a -10 penalty on attacks made with its off hands. (It has one primary hand, and all the others are off hands.) See Two-Weapon Fighting.

Special

This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Improved and Greater versions also exist. All three feats correspond to the two-weapon fighting feats.

Multidexterity was removed in 3.5.

powerdemon
2009-06-17, 08:33 PM
A. 107

It looks like you're mixing 3.0 and 3.5 rules. In 3.5, Multiweapon Fighting is:

Improved and Greater versions also exist. All three feats correspond to the two-weapon fighting feats.

Multidexterity was removed in 3.5.

Thanks, that's what I thaught, but the version of the Multiweapon Fighting that I have says it requires Multidexterity :)

Thurbane
2009-06-17, 09:02 PM
Q105 if you have a ranged weapon out and your melee weapon is sheathed and someone moves into a square that would be threatened if you had your melee weapon out is there any possible way through feats of a sort to make an AoO?(such as quik draw or something)
A 105

Also, you can attack with an unarmed attack, even if your hands are full, so Improved Unarmed Attack might help.

BossMuro
2009-06-17, 10:57 PM
Q 108.

The arcane archer's imbue arrows ability says that the spell put into the arrow originates from wherever the arrow hits. So if an antimagic field gets put into an arrow, then the arrow hits a wizard, does the antimagic field follow the wizard around as if he had cast the spell? Or does it just remain on the same squares it appeared in?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-17, 11:16 PM
A. 108 Yes.

Technically, the spell is centered on the arrow, so if the target removed the arrow and tossed it aside, the area wouldn't follow them.

Eldrys
2009-06-18, 12:41 AM
Q 109
which book is the warlock class from

Q 110
which book is the factotum from

Q 111
Which book is archivist from

quick_comment
2009-06-18, 01:01 AM
A109,110,111
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=factotum+dnd
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=archivist+dnd
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=warlock+dnd

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 02:05 AM
A 109 The Warlock is in Complete Arcane.

A 110 The Factotum is in Dungeonscape.

A 111 The Archivist is in Heroes of Horror.

Useful links: Character (Base) Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/class); and Prestige Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc).

Nazde Bahatur
2009-06-18, 07:22 AM
Q. 112
Can I apply the Feral template (SS p.116) to a human?
If so, how does the Fast Healing ability work for them? Are HD essentially class levels?

quick_comment
2009-06-18, 07:30 AM
A113
Humans have 0 racial hit dice, so only the abilities that work with no RHD will apply to humans. Its a much less attractive option for PHB races

Nazde Bahatur
2009-06-18, 07:40 AM
Q. 113 Can I find a list of creatures with 1 racial hit die?
If there is not one, do you know of an easy way of finding them (i.e. not searching in every M.M....)

HELL, why aren't there any races with 1 racial hit die?
Is there a trick to this, or something?
Do humans, elves and such count as having 1 racial hit die?

Duke of URL
2009-06-18, 09:10 AM
A. 112, disagreement

A113
Humans have 0 racial hit dice, so only the abilities that work with no RHD will apply to humans. Its a much less attractive option for PHB races

All "standard" races have 1 racial hit die -- any creature with 1 racial hit or or less that is suitable for adding class levels to exchanges their hit die (or partial hit die) for their first class level. You will typically see Commoner 1 as opposed to a human with no class levels, however.

A. 113

Crystal Keep has indexes of monsters, one of which is by hit dice. On the whole, Crystal Keep's completeness and accuracy is questionable, however.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-18, 11:22 AM
Q 114
Are there any elements other than Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth, and is Sonic considered an element?

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-18, 11:56 AM
Q 115

If a Mystic Theurge (or other character with both arcane and divine spellcasting abilities) uses Incense of Meditation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#incenseofMeditation), will his or her arcane spells be maximized?

Q 116

If a spell requires both focus/material components and somatic components, does the spellcaster need to use both hands to cast the spell, i.e. a cleric with a weapon and a free hand casting a spell with divine focus and somatic components?

Q 117

While we're on the subject of a Cleric's free hands, does using a light shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#shieldLightWoodenorSteel) allow you to use that hand for spellcasting in any way? It says you can grip other objects, but is your hand considered free enough for somatic components? What about material or focus components?

Q 118 (this is the last one, I swear)

If a true dragon uses its breath weapon and rolls a 1 for the number of rounds it must wait, can it use its breath weapon again in the very next round, or the one after that? My question is essentially if the one round wait means it has to take a round of actions without its breath weapon, or if it replenishes at the beginning of its turn.

Faleldir
2009-06-18, 01:39 PM
Q 119
Does Iron Heart Endurance heal 2x your initiator level, or 2x your character level?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-18, 02:22 PM
Q 120

Is it possible to wield shields like weapons without extra feats or anything, or would that requires homebrewing?

Mando Knight
2009-06-18, 02:57 PM
Q 120

Is it possible to wield shields like weapons without extra feats or anything, or would that requires homebrewing?
A 120
Yep. See the rules on Shield Bash (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#shieldBashAttacks).

Fitz10019
2009-06-18, 04:28 PM
A. 108 Yes.

Technically, the spell is centered on the arrow, so if the target removed the arrow and tossed it aside, the area wouldn't follow them.

C. 108
Removed the arrow??

Q. 121

I am not aware of rules for removing an arrow. Is it written somewhere, with appropriate damage or a skill check (like Heal)?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 05:01 PM
A 114 There are also wood and metal.

From Complete Arcane, page 14:
Many wu jen spells draw on the power of the five elements (earth, fire, metal, water, and wood).Also from Complete Arcane, on page 32:
Elemental savants study the basic building blocks of existence—air, earth, fire, and water—learning to harness their powers. Eventually they transcend their mortal forms and become elemental beings. The elements in D&D are dependent on your philosophy of magic. The Elemental Savant is devoted to the "classical" elements that you mentioned, while the Wu Jen have a different set. Since all of them are described as elements in the RAW, all six qualify.

EDIT: Sonic is an energy type in D&D. It is never referred to as an element.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-18, 05:07 PM
A. 118 It can breath the next round.

Once a dragon breathes, it can’t breathe again until 1d4 rounds later. If a dragon has more than one type of breath weapon, it still can breathe only once every 1d4 rounds.

Note that it doesn't say the dragon must WAIT 1d4 rounds BEFORE using its breath weapon.

Thus, if you role a 1 on 1d4, you can use your breath weapon again 1 round later (i.e. the next round). Also, if you consistently role a 1 on 1d4, you can use your weapon once every 1 round.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-18, 05:12 PM
A. 121

I don't think any rules exist for doing so. I put that comment in my previous answer because it's something a DM might allow, especially if the creature was particularly strong or tough.

For instance, if you shot a dragon or a big demon or whatever, I'd allow them to yank the sucker out on their turn. Because they are badasses. Personally, I'd only have it cost a Move-equivalent action to do so. I probably wouldn't allow it for humanoids, but others might.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 05:23 PM
A 108

The effect follows the target around if the arrow successfully hits them.
Imbue Arrow (Sp)

At 2nd level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster.
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you Antimagic Field meets the requirements for the Arcane Archer's Imbue Arrow ability, so if the Antimagic Field-imbued arrow successfully hits the target, the effect follows the target until it expires.

A 121

There is no option for the target to "remove the arrow".
An arrow that hits its target is destroyedThe ability specifies that the spell "is centered on where the arrow lands", and not on the arrow itself. D&D doesn't have rules for locating where arrows that miss targets go.
Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost. It's up the the DM to figure out what, if anything, happens to the Antimagic Field if the arrow misses.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 05:37 PM
A 115 Maybe.

The effect of Incense of Meditation applies to all prepared spells that a divine spellcaster meditates over, irrespective to spell type. The meditation takes 8 hours, and the other spell preparation requirements must still be met.
To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. ... she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, just as a wizard does. However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells. Instead, the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells. If the time of day requirement is not met, no divine spells will be prepared. And even if the prepared arcane casting class doesn't require sleep, it's up to your DM to decide if 8 hours of specifically focused prayer and meditation counts as "restful calm". If the arcane rest requirement is not met, no arcane spells will be prepared.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 05:40 PM
A 120 clarification

A shield is still a martial weapon. Without martial weapon proficiency, using a shield as a weapon will incur nonproficiency penalties, as usual.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 05:47 PM
A 119

Iron Heart Endurance should be based on your initiator level, as that's the default for martial boosts, just as caster level is the default for spell effects.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-18, 06:03 PM
A 116 Maybe sometimes.

The description of most spell components is added for atmosphere ("fluff"), so generally one free hand is enough. There are exceptions: Freedom of Movement requires a leather thong tied around the target's arm, and I can't see doing that with just one hand. It's your DM's call.

A 117
You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A light shield’s weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it. If you happened to have a spell's components or focus already in your hand, you could perform those parts of the spell with your shield hand. If you can't reach for a weapon with that hand you also cannot reach for components, though. Getting a holy symbol (divine focus) built into the shield's grip seems like the most expedient approach for holding a shield while spellcasting.

You cannot use a hand carrying a shield for a spell's somatic components .
A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component. A hand that's constrained by a shield is not free. (There is no "free enough" for this purpose in the RAW.)

Learnedguy
2009-06-19, 04:58 AM
Q. 122

Is the scout's feature Skirmish applicable during mounted combat? (Aka, my scout is riding on a horse and full attacking with a bow)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-06-19, 05:04 AM
A. 122

No, it was part of the errata.

Coidzor
2009-06-19, 05:35 AM
Q123: In D&D 3.X, what is the name of the published Lawful Evilish Human Supremacist Deity and what book is s/he found in?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-19, 07:15 AM
A. 123 Zarus, Races of Destiny page 19.

Eurantien
2009-06-19, 10:44 AM
Q709{124} I don't know if this has been answered, I don't have time to read all 708 other questions, or if anyone knows the answer, but in d20 WoW (the tabletop game), is it possible for a 1st level arcanist to maximise a spell, if he has the feat, and cast it, as the spell only has a spell level of 1, it just uses a higher level spell slot, and he a) gains a bonus spell slot of every level from being an arcanist and b) may gain a bonus spell slot of the right level if his INT score is high enough? Ta

{This post moved from an old thread where it was mistakenly posted.}

JeenLeen
2009-06-19, 01:24 PM

D&D 3.5 or 3.0 if not updated to 3.5

Are there rules anywhere for the cost and time of researching and developing a non-epic spell?

Origomar
2009-06-19, 05:32 PM
Q 125

When having a shield how do the normal two weapon fighting penalties affect your main hand and off hand? i know light shield is considered a light weapon and a large shield a one handed weapon.

Also if you have two weapon fighting feat does that reduce the penalty to attacking with a shield?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-19, 06:44 PM
A 125

You just follow the usual two-weapon fighting rules. The normal penalties are -6 (main hand)/-10 (off hand), so that's what you'd start with if you had a main hand weapon and also used a heavy shield for bashing. The Two-Weapon Fighting feat would reduce those to -4/-4. Using a light shield as your off-hand bashing weapon would make the normal penalties -4/-8, and adding Two-Weapon Fighting would reduce them to -2/-2.

Two-Weapon Fighting does not help if you attack only with a shield.

RiceMaxi
2009-06-19, 10:13 PM
Q 126
D&D 3.5

Are there rules laid out somewhere for lighting arrows on fire non-magically? Thank you in advance.

-Rice Maxi

golfmade
2009-06-20, 12:25 AM
Q 127

When writing down skill stats on the character sheet, if a certain race gets say, +2 to the hide skill, where do you actually make this notation on the sheet? Would it be listed under ability modifier or misc modifier?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-20, 12:40 AM
A 127

This isn't a D&D rules question, by the way. The answer would depend on the particular type of character sheet you use. Ideally you'd like to have a "racial modifier" column. But it's definitely not an ability modifer; those are CHA, CON, DEX, INT, STR, WIS. So the closer fit would be "miscellaneous".

Curmudgeon
2009-06-20, 12:54 AM
A 126

I don't think so. Heroes of Battle refers to flaming arrows repeatedly -- and these are always flaming through standard D&D magic.

Note that the +1 cost flaming enhancement, when applied to a bow, will work on all arrows shot by that bow. Also the Flame Arrow spell will make 50 arrows have the flaming quality per casting. So it's certainly reasonable within standard D&D rules to have very large numbers of flaming arrows in use in a combat.

It appears that if you want flaming arrows in D&D, you need to use magic.

Talic
2009-06-20, 02:10 AM
Q 128 (D&D 3.5)

I'm seeking items that boost Strength. More specifically, ones that provide a bonus that is not enhancement or size. I recall seeing an item that provides a +4 Alchemical bonus to strength for a short period of time. Does anyone know the source for this?

ex cathedra
2009-06-20, 02:27 AM
A 128

Could you perhaps be looking for Rashemi Fire Wine, from Unapproachable East and a handful of 3.0 splats?

Gorbash
2009-06-20, 08:17 AM
Q 129

Is a creature under the effect of the Statue (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsS.html#statue) spell immune to Sneak Attack and Critical Hits? It doesn't specifically says so, but I would assume that since you're made of stone, it could be applied...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-06-20, 08:30 AM
A. 129

It seems to be a safe assumption. You are normally unable to SA objects.