PDA

View Full Version : I demand Age of Wyrms!

Matthat
2009-06-04, 07:08 PM
This is sort of an interest thread, and essentially my public begging for a game.

The Glyphstone
2009-06-04, 07:49 PM
Try posting in the OOC: Recruitment subforum.

Matthat
2009-06-04, 07:52 PM
Yes I was thinking of that, but then again I though I'd get more responses i the gaming thread because more people read it.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-06-04, 09:05 PM
I support this motion [but only if I get to play a force dragon]!

wadledo
2009-06-04, 09:09 PM
I support his motion to support this motion with much emotion while I stand by the ocean!

Matthat
2009-06-04, 11:30 PM
I'd like to say I know what a force dragon is but I've been out of the D&D loop ever since 4.0 came out. *Shudders*.

Shinizak
2009-06-04, 11:56 PM
It's a dragon from the epic level handbook, it's baby form is starts in the double digits....

Matthat
2009-06-04, 11:58 PM
so 7 million types of cheese then?

ghost_warlock
2009-06-05, 03:42 AM
so 7 million types of cheese then?

Not really cheesey, just powerful and not really intended for use as a PC race. I mean, it's a freaking dragon made of force. If a DM allows it for use by a player, he'll get zero sympathy if he complains about it being over-powered.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-06-05, 06:13 AM
Scratch that, wait, how could I forget...I wanna be a TIME dragon! [Gods bless Paizo's last issue of Dragon!]

Okay seriously, I think a dragon campaign would be interesting and might even work. The problem is, each dragon type has a slightly different power level. So you'd either have to reinstate different XP tables *shudder* or homebrew a generic dragon template with PC options to distinguish breed. Or just accept that dragon PCs of different breeds will have different power levels.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-05, 06:15 AM
Xorvindaal would be a great starting point, dragon chess/capture-the-flag with added hordiness. woot.

Coidzor
2009-06-05, 06:50 AM
Hmm... I smell Homebrew Thread, Mr. Tequila in the Sun!

V: Well, I wasn't saying that you should DM... but that you were probably the best person in this thread so far with the most experience of at least providing a direction for homebrewers to go in at least (in addition to remembering that you seemed to enjoy homebrewing some things before) <_< >_>

...I still need to go over that tome of houserules of yours...

Tequila Sunrise
2009-06-05, 07:22 AM
Okay, I'm totally not volunteering to DM this thing, but I love a good design challenge so...The Council is convened (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6223041#post6223041). I'm not volunteering. Really. Seriously. I'm in a foreign country and don't have my books.

JellyPooga
2009-06-05, 08:28 AM
Scratch that, wait, how could I forget...I wanna be a TIME dragon! [Gods bless Paizo's last issue of Dragon!]

Okay seriously, I think a dragon campaign would be interesting and might even work. The problem is, each dragon type has a slightly different power level. So you'd either have to reinstate different XP tables *shudder* or homebrew a generic dragon template with PC options to distinguish breed. Or just accept that dragon PCs of different breeds will have different power levels.

Assuming 3.X DnD, a copy of the Draconomicon is all you need; it lists LA for practically every dragon out there. If it's 4th ed you're talking about, just ignore me completely ::whistles his way out the room::

Emy
2009-06-05, 09:55 AM
Seriously though, a Wyrmling Force Dragon starts with 20 hit dice and who-knows-how-many level adjustment. A Wyrmling Mercury dragon could have comparable ECL with 20 levels of wizard. Yeah, I wouldn't really say force dragons are overpowered.

In fact, I'd say most dragons have level adjustment that's way too high. There are a few reasonable ones though, like the Mercury/Steel/Mist Dragons from Dragons of Faerun.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-06-05, 10:26 AM
Assuming 3.X DnD, a copy of the Draconomicon is all you need; it lists LA for practically every dragon out there. If it's 4th ed you're talking about, just ignore me completely ::whistles his way out the room::
You could use the Dra'con but it's really designed for DMs rather than players. I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think there are enough ECLs listed that when the DM says "we're playing at X ECL" the players will have more than a couple choices. And as the PCs advance in age categories, ECL tends to jump around. Plus, dragons as monsters (aka all published dragon stats) are basically the same: heavy tankers with a healthy dose of skill points and a bunch of magical tricks that generally do a lot of nothing.

Anyway, I'm not doing this in the hopes of obligating some potential DM to use my rules. I just like doing this stuff.

wadledo
2009-06-05, 12:39 PM
You could use the Dra'con but it's really designed for DMs rather than players. I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think there are enough ECLs listed that when the DM says "we're playing at X ECL" the players will have more than a couple choices. And as the PCs advance in age categories, ECL tends to jump around. Plus, dragons as monsters (aka all published dragon stats) are basically the same: heavy tankers with a healthy dose of skill points and a bunch of magical tricks that generally do a lot of nothing.

Anyway, I'm not doing this in the hopes of obligating some potential DM to use my rules. I just like doing this stuff.

Or we could just go gestalt.