PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Power

yilduz
2009-06-04, 07:58 PM
We're starting a campaign and one of the guys is playing a Kobold sorcerer. He wants to take the Draconic Power feat from Races of the Dragons. He's saying it makes it so he gains the spells a level earlier than he normally would (for instance, at 3rd level, he has access to 2nd level spells). I don't think that's what the feat means. Is he right?

lsfreak
2009-06-04, 08:01 PM
No. The level-based variable effects, such as range or damage dice, increase. He does not get spell earlier.

Douglas
2009-06-04, 08:05 PM
You are correct. The feat increases spell range, duration, damage dice, etc. as if he were one level higher, but it does not give him more spells per day, spells known, or higher level spells. For that, he'd need either more actual levels or the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

yilduz
2009-06-04, 09:47 PM
That's what I was thinking. Thanks, guys... also, thanks for the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage. I think he'll like that.

yilduz
2009-06-06, 06:47 PM
How does a ritual work?

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-06, 06:53 PM
How does a ritual work?

As described in the web enhancement and the Races of the Dragon book. He spends the cash, he spends a week fasting (or so), and he rolls a dice, perhaps? *hazy*
Or if you're a kinder DM, you take the cash from his character, subtract the hp cost from his total, and do the rest off-screen.

It's basically a Racial Trait that he has to pay for, in blood and money?

yilduz
2009-06-06, 06:56 PM
As described in the web enhancement and the Races of the Dragon book. He spends the cash, he spends a week fasting (or so), and he rolls a dice, perhaps? *hazy*
Or if you're a kinder DM, you take the cash from his character, subtract the hp cost from his total, and do the rest off-screen.

It's basically a Racial Trait that he has to pay for, in blood and money?

So it doesn't require a feat or anything like that?

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-06, 07:02 PM
So it doesn't require a feat or anything like that?

Er..... >_> *checks*

The Rite's don't, no. HOWEVER, for greater Draconic Rite of Passage, which gives his extra caster level and spells, there is a feat as a pre-requisite (the draconic reserve thingy one, also in the web enhancement.)

yilduz
2009-06-06, 07:56 PM
Er..... >_> *checks*

The Rite's don't, no. HOWEVER, for greater Draconic Rite of Passage, which gives his extra caster level and spells, there is a feat as a pre-requisite (the draconic reserve thingy one, also in the web enhancement.)

I saw the prerequisite, but I was just wondering if the ritual required anything else simply for being a ritual. Thank you. :smallbiggrin: