PDA

View Full Version : Reconciliation of Munchkin and Roleplayer: DMM Persistent Spell

Random NPC
2009-06-04, 10:11 PM
We all know how awesome DMM Persistent Spell can be on the cleric. So powerful, so much possibilities... the smell of burning gouda. But, I just can't figure out a way of making this monster, something feasible in roleplaying standards.

I figure out that I can just make a character with a War domain God who has a cool shiny sword as a favored weapon and pump feats like crazy. But I don't want to spend a lot of feats.

What I have:
12, 16, 15, 12, 14, 12 stats and only 5 levels to work with. Also, Greyhawk.

What I need:
Extended Spell
Persistent Spell
Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell
Extra Turning (to keep nightstick cheese away)

Who can give me these easier:
Human (done)
Human Paragon (I would like to avoid this as much as possible, don't want the hit on spells)
Planning Domain
or
Undeath Domain

What can I do with these? Roleplaying wise

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 10:19 PM
5th level Human Cloistered Cleric of the Planning and Undeath Domains has

1 feat at first level, 1 bonus feat at first level, along with Extra Turning and Extend Spell

And one feat at third level

Spend a feat on Persist and another on Divine Metamagic at first level. Done, with a feat to spare.

And maybe trade in Knowledge domain for Knowledge devotion.

If you must have the War Domain, drop Undeath and use your free feat at third level to get Extra Turning.

Go

Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15 (Bump to 16 at level 4 if your game won't go past 8th level) Int 12 Wis 16, Cha 14

Random NPC
2009-06-04, 10:23 PM
5th level Human Cloistered Cleric of the Planning and Undeath Domains has

1 feat at first level, 1 bonus feat at first level, along with Extra Turning and Extend Spell

And one feat at third level

Spend a feat on Persist and another on Divine Metamagic at first level. Done, with a feat to spare.

And maybe trade in Knowledge domain for Knowledge devotion.

If you must have the War Domain, drop Undeath and use your free feat at third level to get Extra Turning.

Go

Str 12, Dex 12, Con 15 (Bump to 16 at level 4 if your game won't go past 8th level) Int 12 Wis 16, Cha 14

Well, yeah... duh... that's easy to think about and among MANY different possibilities, but I'm stumped on the roleplaying part. The OTHER side of character creation

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 10:29 PM
Well, real life soldiers have varied from quiet men like Alvin York and Simo Hayha to people who were proud of their service and felt at home in combat like Audy Murphy and Jack Churchill, so you can probably get away with playing him however you want.

And all of them were hardcore badasses.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-04, 10:48 PM
Prior to his untimely death by demon, one of our games had a battle cleric. He was a militia captain who'd taken a leave of absence to go on a quest. You could build, basically, a military cleric who focuses on combat over healing.

Just make sure your party is aware that you're going to be acting more like a paladin than a regular box-of-bandaids cleric, or they will be supremely annoyed when they need healing/buffs and you charge into battle. Away from them and their single-digit hit points.

Gnorman
2009-06-04, 11:03 PM
Sounds to me like a LN cleric of Wee Jas might be the way to go, if you're thinking Planning AND Undeath.

With Planning and War, remember that strategy and tactics are an essential part of any soldier's repertoire - perhaps he's not so much a grunt as he is a field commander, directing legions and troops. This opens up a WIDE variety of possibilities for you. Perhaps you're a grizzled veteran sick of watching new recruits die in senseless battle, and you took up the cleric's mantle in order to prevent unnecessary bloodshed. Perhaps you revel in calculated offenses designed to demoralize and devastate your enemies. Perhaps you believe that a fine array of tactical options are a commander's best bet to protect his soldiers.

Plenty of options.

Doc Roc
2009-06-04, 11:05 PM
Well, real life soldiers have varied from quiet men like Alvin York and Simo Hayha to people who were proud of their service and felt at home in combat like Audy Murphy and Jack Churchill, so you can probably get away with playing him however you want.

And all of them were hardcore badasses.

+1!
This is the truth. My feeling is that DMM:Persist is the hallmark of a quiet, firm, and deadly man, who understands the subtler path to victory and is willing to spend precious time to get his hands on resources that are essential.

Random NPC
2009-06-05, 05:10 PM
With Planning and War, remember that strategy and tactics are an essential part of any soldier's repertoire - perhaps he's not so much a grunt as he is a field commander, directing legions and troops. This opens up a WIDE variety of possibilities for you. Perhaps you're a grizzled veteran sick of watching new recruits die in senseless battle, and you took up the cleric's mantle in order to prevent unnecessary bloodshed. Perhaps you revel in calculated offenses designed to demoralize and devastate your enemies. Perhaps you believe that a fine array of tactical options are a commander's best bet to protect his soldiers.

Plenty of options.

Perhaps I could make a Cleric of Heironeous who focus more on the strategic part of War, since many older clerics tend to be strategists :smallwink:

Why didn't I think of this :smallbiggrin: