PDA

View Full Version : The Book Of Vile Darkness

Mindleshank
2009-06-04, 10:19 PM
All right in the campaign that my group is playing now i am a Swashbuckler that is 5th level and i just grew a level originally i was going to take a level in assassin and the levels following, however i was greatly intrigued by the Book of Vile Darkness because my friend has the Book Of Exalted Deeds now i was woundering what is in the dark book for my character Hasdrubal?:smallconfused:

Shinizak
2009-06-04, 10:22 PM
Not much, it's mostly a spell casting book. If you took the levels in assassin then it might be a good source.

Mindleshank
2009-06-04, 10:23 PM
But in theory it would be a good book to help my character. And what about feats?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 10:23 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness is darker and edgier... but it tried too hard and is hard to take seriously. Also, not great for melee.

Try Complete Scoundrel, or Complete Adventurer?

Cedrass
2009-06-04, 10:28 PM
Well, honestly, I used the BoVD a lot, but mostly for DMing purpose. As a player I'll never use any of the feats in there. Even the spells aren't really nice...

It's flavorful for NPCs, the Demon Lord and Devil Princes are good BBEG, some rules are nice to use against players (the torture and sacrifices thing or the drugs and disease), but I don't think you'll get much out of it.

Ixahinon
2009-06-04, 10:29 PM
I don't know, Some of the Prestigues in it are intriguing, at least to me. Disciple of Mephistopheles is pretty fun if you are completely evil, and an undead creature (Wight goes nicely with it). And I've played a Thrall of Graz'zt Succubus, and had a crap ton of fun with it. Always wanted Thrall of Juiblex, just cause Oozes are awesome...

But yea...I agree with everyone else on the fact that unless you are caster based in some sort, not a book for you.

Xallace
2009-06-04, 10:35 PM
While it is mostly caster-based, wouldn't a Disciple of Dispater help in melee quite a bit?

EDIT: Or a Warrior of Darkness, for that matter?

Starscream
2009-06-04, 10:42 PM
Yeah, it's mostly a DM resource for making really rotten villains.

I'd say a lot of the stuff in there is too broken for players, but the same can be said for the BoED, so if you're already using that then go ahead.

Be interesting to see a campaign in which you have a Vile PC and an Exalted PC on the same team. If they shake hands there will probably be some sort of explosion.

Swooper
2009-06-04, 11:00 PM
As others have pointed out, it's mostly a DM resource. That said, I believe there were some poisons in there that might interest your assassin.

Cedrass
2009-06-04, 11:09 PM
That said, I believe there were some poisons in there that will interest your assassin.

Fixed.

I had forgotten about those.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-04, 11:10 PM
Does Arsinic still have a DC 14 fort save?

Cedrass
2009-06-04, 11:46 PM
Can't find it, but found a nice DC 54 poison! Gonna have to use it soon and surprise the hell out of my DM :P

Doresain
2009-06-05, 12:14 AM
Can't find it, but found a nice DC 54 poison! Gonna have to use it soon and surprise the hell out of my DM :P

isnt that from a colossal scorpion?

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-05, 01:58 AM
BoVD = poor fluffwise

but theres some interesting classes in there like Ur Priest and the like. Most of the spells are not the sort of thing you'd wanna chuck round as a player, but some given the right opertunity, can be downright mean

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-05, 04:32 AM
BoVD = poor fluffwise

but theres some interesting classes in there like Ur Priest and the like. Most of the spells are not the sort of thing you'd wanna chuck round as a player, but some given the right opertunity, can be downright mean

The Ur-Priest was updated to 3.5 in Complete Divine.

ThorFluff
2009-06-05, 07:30 AM
While it is mostly caster-based, wouldn't a Disciple of Dispater help in melee quite a bit?

EDIT: Or a Warrior of Darkness, for that matter?

Disciple of Dispater is utterly broken now. Remember you are using a 3.0 book here.

Take Improved Critical Great Falchion
Great Falchion from Sand Storm, Enchant it with +1 Flaming, Shocking, Acid, Sonic burst and Thundering.

At lvl 8 in the PrC you'll have a crit-range of 8-20 on every crit you'll do 8d10 of energy damage (of various flavors) 1d8 sonic damage and of course 4d6 energy damage (again of various flavours).

Book of Vile Darkness is very VERY cool, BUT it is underpowered for most PrC and utterly broken for one of them.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-05, 07:54 AM
I personally like the Demonologist, Vermin Lord and Ur-Priest.

In regards ot the Ur-Priest With the exception of Malign Spell Focus -> Spell Focus (Evil) I don't think there is any change from the 3.0 - 3.5 version (in complete Divine).

Heroes of Horror is pretty cool for evil stuff, but potentially much more broken if not controlled. Elder Evils and Exemplars of Evil are also pretty cool books that I use for feats and such.

But nearly everything in all of those books i geared for a spellcaster. Swashbuckler's won't find a huge use except for some interesting items, the odd feat and some cool poisons. And of course the extra assasin spells. ;)

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-05, 10:00 AM
Elder Evils, Exemplars of Evil, and Heroes of Horror are much better books than the BoVD, but that's mainly because BoVD comes off a childishly evil, and not True Evil.

Proven_Paradox
2009-06-05, 11:03 AM
Yes, the BoVD is very much evil = icky. Sometimes, that's exactly what you're looking for, and in that case the book has a lot to offer, but I prefer the most dangerous evil to be more precise, discreet, and stylish/beautiful. In the end I would say that the tempter/temptress poses more of a threat than the destroyer. In that sense, the BoVD drops the ball.

Anyway, for your specific situation? You're probably much better off looking for something to work with swashbuckler than you are looking for stuff to work with evil. I suggest you look in Complete Scoundrel; there's a lot of stuff for you there. Assassin could work out well for you too; just make sure you get the right types of poison and you're good to go.

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-05, 11:34 AM
Can Assassins cast corrupt spells? Some of those are really nasty. The poisons are good, as others have said.

I like the BoVD, but they went overboard with some of the spells. Some of them are [Evil] for no real reason, and others are frighteningly overpowered (Death by Thorns, anyone?), but if your DM keeps a lid on the cheese, the book is only going to add more options, which is always nice. I reckon you can get it for cheap, if that's a concern.

AbyssKnight
2009-06-05, 11:52 AM
Disciple of Mammon may interest a Swashbuckler.

Ellye
2009-06-05, 12:11 PM
Elder Evils, Exemplars of Evil, and Heroes of Horror are much better books than the BoVDI'll second this. BoVD tries too hard to say: "hey, I'm dark and evil! Oh, and I'm for mature audiences only!". As for your main question, don't really think it have many things to help your character.

Haarkla
2009-06-05, 12:19 PM
Disciple of Dispater is utterly broken now. Remember you are using a 3.0 book here.

Great Falchion from Sand Storm, Enchant it with +1 Flaming, Shocking, Acid, Sonic burst and Thundering.

At lvl 8 in the PrC you'll have a crit-range of 8-20 on every crit you'll do 8d10 of energy damage (of various flavors) 1d8 sonic damage and of course 4d6 energy damage (again of various flavours).

Book of Vile Darkness is very VERY cool, BUT it is underpowered for most PrC and utterly broken for one of them.

The weapon you are discribing costs 200,000 gps, by the time you can afford it the party wizard will be casting 9th lvl spells. Very cheesy yes, utterly broken, probably not.

IM@work
2009-06-05, 01:28 PM

I think you are exaggerating on the crit here. I know that the class increases it, but it doesn't go down to 8, but 9. 18-20 becomes 15-20 with the fourth level which becomes 12-20 with the 8th level, which becomes 9-20 with improved critical.
Doesn't really matter, it's ridiculous.

As for it being overpowered, the thing here is that you still need to hit the creature in order to deal the critical. You can't crit threat if you didn't hit. Even if the role is a crit range you could still not hit and deal no damage.

Tokiko Mima
2009-06-05, 02:13 PM
If you have levels in Chameleon, Demonologist is a great way to get an 8th level Sorc/Wiz spell, Bestow Greater Curse as a 3rd level spell. Fun to use on defeated enemies to assure they will not be able to be a threat anymore (baring access to Wish or Miracle) and it's not an Evil descriptor spell.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-05, 03:06 PM
If you have levels in Chameleon, Demonologist is a great way to get an 8th level Sorc/Wiz spell, Bestow Greater Curse as a 3rd level spell. Fun to use on defeated enemies to assure they will not be able to be a threat anymore (baring access to Wish or Miracle) and it's not an Evil descriptor spell.

Thank you for telling me this. I now have a reason to suggest Wyrm Wizard for Duskblade builds (a 3rd level touch spell with that kind of power? Sure, let's try it).

Gaiyamato
2009-06-06, 01:11 AM
Disciple of Mammon may interest a Swashbuckler.

To get into the class he will need to swear allegiance to mammon, pick up 3 feats and hit level 6 to get the BAB. So level 7 at least if geared right from the start.

If he has Iron will already he could grab Malign Spell Focus/Spell focus Evil and then a few level sof Ur-Priest and move into Vermin lord. Well before level 20 he can then make himself the focus of quite sizable hiveminds.
aka.. bonus sorcerer levels!

:)