PDA

View Full Version : Worm That Walks [3.5]

Froogleyboy
2009-06-05, 01:38 AM
Ok, well, my DM showed the group some monsters in the back of the epic book. One I really liked was Worm That Walks, and my understanding of it is that it is when a lot of worms begin to eat a dead spell caster and the magic left in his body binds them together to re animate him. If this is true could I become one?

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-05, 01:49 AM
There are two ways, but the entire idea is that you shouldn't became a Worm that Walks easily. Heck, if I recall correctly, the Worm that Walks is one of the Elder Evils from the last 3.5 books. Anywho...

One is through a ritual which requires GP, XP and the casting of some spells (much like a Golem). Afterwards, there's a 1% chance per prepared, uncast spell on the deceased spellcaster (so killing a Wizard with most spells uncast usually means about a 40% or so, more depending on how much Int)

The other is an epic spell provided at the description of the Worm that Walks monster. It has a low Spellcraft DC (49?) and it ALWAYS makes a Worm that Walks.

So, in either case, you NEED an epic spellcaster for that, and another allied epic spellcaster doing that on you.

There's also the idea of spontaneous worms that walk sprouting normally, no need of rituals or epic spells.

Of course, a watch into the SRD will provide more info about it. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm)

Froogleyboy
2009-06-05, 01:52 AM
Well I have epic spell casting and the transform seed so . . . a couple more levels I guess. Thanks.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-05, 03:23 AM
The nethermost caverns...are not for the fathoming of eyes that see; for their marvels are strange and terrific. Cursed the ground where dead thoughts live new and oddly bodied, and evil the mind that is held by no head. Wisely did Ibn Schacabao say, that happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes. For it is of old rumour that the soul of the devil-bought hastes not from his charnel clay, but fats and instructs the very worm that gnaws; till out of corruption horrid life springs, and the dull scavengers of earth wax crafty to vex it and swell monstrous to plague it. Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.

-"The Festival," H.P. Lovecraft, pub.1925

AslanCross
2009-06-05, 04:56 AM
The epic level template has been renamed the "lesser worm that walks" in Elder Evils, since the true Worm That Walks is the demigod Kyuss, an enormous, terrifying, unique creature. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/AslanCross/DnDCampaign/Kyuss.jpg?t=1244195977)

J.Gellert
2009-06-05, 05:06 AM
That actually looks like a very interesting alternative to the typical undead wizard. I think it'll be easy to change enough so it can be accessed earlier pre-epic.

Athaniar
2009-06-05, 05:28 AM
The epic level template has been renamed the "lesser worm that walks" in Elder Evils, since the true Worm That Walks is the demigod Kyuss, an enormous, terrifying, unique creature. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/AslanCross/DnDCampaign/Kyuss.jpg?t=1244195977)

Yeah, that book has some pretty awesome stuff.

Coidzor
2009-06-05, 05:41 AM

Well that's an interesting example of fantasy artwork... Also, I find myself confounded at the weapon he(ish, right?) is wielding. I simply have no idea what to call it. And that angers me even more than its bizarre appearance in and of itself. :smallannoyed:

I'm guessing that's from the Age of Worms campaign book?

TSED
2009-06-05, 06:01 AM
Well that's an interesting example of fantasy artwork... Also, I find myself confounded at the weapon he(ish, right?) is wielding. I simply have no idea what to call it. And that angers me even more than its bizarre appearance in and of itself. :smallannoyed:

... Axemace? It is pretty silly.

Elder Evils. It's a big book of just guys like that and some campaign ideas around them. Atropos is the one most people are fascinated with, though (screaming undead god-fetus MOON!).

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-05, 06:03 AM

The weapon is in Dungeon Magazine, in one of the issues with the Age of Worm adventure path.

Is quite powerful, mundane-wise, we can say, because it's a d10 x3 that can do OR piercing and bludgeoning damage, or bludgeoning and slashing (you decide when you deliver the blow).

The name, well.. :smallfrown:. I don't remeber.

bosssmiley
2009-06-05, 07:25 AM

Twink-axe?
Munchkinbrand?
Duuuh-klaive? :smallamused:

@Frooglyboy: Epic levels only IIRC. That said, the WtW is the only non-gashuffing epic lich template (I'm looking at you demilich).

AslanCross
2009-06-05, 08:24 AM
It's called an executioner's mace. 2d6/x3, two handed, can deal either bludgeoning and slashing or bludgeoning and piercing. My warforged warblade used it once, though when I drew it I made it look a bit less silly. :P

The particular picture I posted was from Paizo; it may have been a Dungeon cover. The Elder Evils cover portrays the same scene but by a different artist.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-05, 08:29 AM
It's called an executioner's mace. 2d6/x3, two handed, can deal either bludgeoning and slashing or bludgeoning and piercing. My warforged warblade used it once, though when I drew it I made it look a bit less silly. :P

Yeah, 2d6. And that's the name... I'm getting old.

In the adventure path there is a Knight of Kyuss (sorta "wormy" Death Knight) using it.

The image is quite creepy (even if not similar from a classic undead), but the monster is different from a warforged. The artist drew the axe quite thin and the mace not so bigger, decreasing the "odd" effect.

AslanCross
2009-06-05, 08:39 AM
You mean this? (http://www.eva-widermann.de/?id=133&offset=0) Man, that's creepy.

Optimystik
2009-06-05, 08:40 AM
The above picture is indeed Kyuss. Here is one of a player-created WtW, from WotC.

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/legendology_dnd_article12_picMain_en.jpg

As you can see, this one is actually Medium, as per the SRD description.

EDIT: Also, I <3 <3 <3 Aberrations and this guy is one of the best :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-06-05, 09:37 AM
You mean this? (http://www.eva-widermann.de/?id=133&offset=0) Man, that's creepy.

Probably the appropriate and desired response...