PDA

View Full Version : +1/2 levels

Dhavaer
2009-06-05, 04:39 AM
Martial Adepts add 1 to their initiator level for every two levels they gain in non-initiating classes. Would it be balanced if:

1) Manifester level did the same?

1a) If so, if the bonus power points for a high ability score depended on manifester level instead of class level?

1b) If so, if the increase in manifester level gave access to higher level powers?

2) Caster level did the same?

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-05, 05:12 AM
Imho, powers and spells are generally speaking ( I mean, barring AMF or similar things) stronger than maneuvers. A PC should struggle more to obtain them.

Your variant is good, only in a campaing in wich all the players benefit of the option, and you shoud wacth out to the power level.

Said so, if works...

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-05, 05:37 AM
Spellcasting and psionics being so tied to class level, rather than character level, is one of the main reasons spellcasters never multiclass.

If you let other classes add towards their caster level and maybe spells per day, more casters would be willing to try 'gish' builds in the like. So I say, go for it.

Duke of URL
2009-06-05, 06:08 AM
Martial Adepts add 1 to their initiator level for every two levels they gain in non-initiating classes. Would it be balanced if:

1) Manifester level did the same?

1a) If so, if the bonus power points for a high ability score depended on manifester level instead of class level?

1b) If so, if the increase in manifester level gave access to higher level powers?

I would say it's probably not unbalanced for caster/manifester level, but not for spells per day/power points/powers known.

Fitz10019
2009-06-05, 08:12 AM

I once read somewhere about a proposed "casting aptitude bonus" progression, much like the BAB. So casters get full progression (like fighters get full BAB progression) while melee types get slow progression (like a wizard's slow BAB progression). You need to take a casting class to make use of your CAB, but once you do, all your class levels contribute to your casting. Your CAB becomes your caster level, not to be exceeded by your character level.

This might be a good homebrew thread.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-05, 08:18 AM

They already do:

How To Determine Bonus Power Points
Your key ability score grants you additional power points equal to your key ability modifier × your manifester level ×½. Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points shows these calculations for class levels 1st through 20th and key ability scores from 10 to 41.

I once read somewhere about a proposed "casting aptitude bonus" progression

Sounds like the Magic Rating (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/magicRating.htm) system from Unearthed Arcana.

Dhavaer
2009-06-05, 08:56 AM
They already do:

Interesting. I'd just looked at the name of the table, which says (by class level). Text trumps table, of course.