PDA

View Full Version : Adding hit dice to monsters

krko
2009-06-05, 08:02 AM
I've been tinkering with rules about adding class levels and Hit die to monsters. I'm sure I got something horribly wrong so I might as well have it for criticism, suggestions, etc.

Statblock
Gorkhan, the Ravager
Large Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Awakened Dire Tiger/Barbarian 2/Warblade 6
18d8 + 7d12 +125 HD (269)
Speed 50 ft. (5 squares)
Init: +5
AC 24 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +6 natural +4 armor), touch 14, flat-footed 20
BAB +20; Grp +36
Attack +1 Greater Dispelling Claw +29
(2d4 + 12, 20/x2)
Full-Attack 2 +1 Greater Dispelling Claws +33/+28/+23 melee (2d4+12, 20/x2) and 1 +1 Greater Dispelling Bite +33 melee (2d6+6, 20/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Pounce, Rake 2d4+6, Barbarian Rage 1/day, Maneuvers, Stances
Special Qualities Battle Clarity, Battle Ardor, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Aptitude, Fast Movement, Low Light Vision, Scent
Saves Fort +22 Ref +23 Will +13
Abilities Str 35, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 22, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills Hide +26*, Jump +40, Listen +9, Move Silently +30, Spot +9, Swim +14, Tumble +7, Martial Lore +10
Feats Power Attack, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Rapid Strike, Leap Attack, Improved Rapid Strike, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper,Tiger Blooded(c)
Organization Solitary or with pack of 3 Awakened Tiger Barbarians
Challenge Rating 17
Alignment CN
Advancement by Character Class

Special Abilities

Gorkhan is an intelligent and skilled fighter, augmented by natural abilities of his kind.

He appears as a tiger as big as horse, wearing a jet black leather barding. He has scars all over his body, suggesting that he has endured far more punishment than you have ever gone through.
----------
Combat
If Gorkhan senses danger, he will hide as soon as possible, goes into the Punishing Stance and send his minions (if any) to find and distract his opponents, with him following hidden. He will silently watch said confrontation within his charge distance. Should the opportunity present itself he will activate his barbarian rage, use the Raging Mongoose maneuver, and charge the weakest looking opponent, using his power attack, leap attack, and shock trooper feats, while activating one of the charges of his dispelling weapon. He uses Sudden Leap to escape or to reposition himself for another charge.
Barbarian Rage (Ex)
Once a day Gorkhan may fly into a rage gaining +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he a -2 penalty to Armor Class for ten rounds. After the rage ends he becomes fatigued
Pounce (Ex)
If a Gorkhan charges, he can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
Rake (Ex)
Attack Bonus +32 melee 2d4+6 damage
Battle Clarity(Ex)
Gorkhan gains an insight bonus to his reflex save equal to his intelligence bonus (if any) or his warblade level whichever is lower
Battle Ardor(Ex)
Gorkhan has an insight bonus equal to his Intelligence bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
Improved Uncanny Dodge(Ex)
Gorkhan retains his dodge bonus to AC even if flat footed. He can no longer be flanked and cannot be sneak attacked by someone with less than 12 levels of rogue.
Skills
Gorkhan hase a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +8.

Maneuvers Known
lvl1-- Sudden Leap
lvl2-- Rabid Wolf Strike
lvl3-- Iron Heart Surge
lvl4-- Fountain of Blood
lvl8-- Raging Mongoose

Stances
lvl1-- Punishing Stance
lvl7-- Prey on the Weak
Typical Readied Maneuvers: Sudden Leap, Iron Heart Surge, Fountain of Blood, Raging Mongoose

Equipment
Gorkhan has a +1 Greater Dispelling Necklace of Natural Attacks that functions on his two claws and bite natural attacks and wears a +1 Studded Leather Barding.

Origins:
Gorkhan was originally a dire tiger when he was captured by a clan of barbarians taken to become a hunting animal for the group. He was tortured to break his will and was forced to entertain the barbarian band by fighting the other animals the clan captured. This situation changed when during a hunt, a fog fell upon the hunting group. He was separated from the band, and was approached by druid in wolf form. It beckoned him to follow him into a cave, where he awakened into sentience by a maximized awaken. The druid gave him the necklace of natural attacks and departed after giving him directions where to find him. Weeks later, the barbarian clan was found slaughtered, with tiger tracks all over the camp.

So, is the CR too high or low? Does he have a chance of appearing in a game, etc., etc.

Everyman
2009-06-05, 08:17 AM
Well, I'd say these classes sync well with the tiger's natural abililites, so they are associated. Unfortuantely, I don't have access to the dire tiger information, so I can only answer your question with questions...Is a dire tiger normally a CR 9? If so, then your creation is definately at least CR 17. I might even say it is CR 18, due to the increased ability scores and the magic item.

Otherwise, it looks like a very impressive NPC.
Great. I've another NPC idea. Got to go and stat out an awakened Dire Wolf now...:smallsigh::smallwink:

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-05, 04:36 PM
At a glance, it has the wrong number of hit dice given. It should have 8d12, assuming that the Warblade's hit die is a d12.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-05, 09:15 PM
At a glance, it has the wrong number of hit dice given. It should have 8d12, assuming that the Warblade's hit die is a d12.

Correct. HP should be 16d8 (base dire tiger) + 2d8 (from awaken) + 2d12 (barbarian) + 6d12 (warblade) + 130 (Con bonus * 26 HD).