PDA

View Full Version : Extra feats

Korivan
2009-06-05, 11:18 AM
Hey i was wondering if there is [B]any[B] way possible to gain extra feats as your leveling up or roleplaying?

TomKatt
2009-06-05, 11:22 AM
depends on what you are playing, if its something like paladin, ranger, or the like there are often variant rules to replace the spell list for bonus feats

Telonius
2009-06-05, 11:31 AM
Vow of Poverty gives you bonus Exalted feats at level 1, 2, and all even levels thereafter. But it's generally not worth the cost.

Several classes give bonus feats, and as TomKatt mentioned there are variants that allow you to trade class features for feats, such as the Unearthed Arcana Rogue Variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) where you trade all of your Sneak Attack for Fighter Feats. Even in the standard classes, Rogue can take a Feat in place of a Rogue Ability. Many, many Prestige Classes grant particular feats, or a choice among bonus feats.

Hunter Noventa
2009-06-05, 12:05 PM
Except for the methods mentioned above, your only other option would be to talk to your DM to see if you could spend an appropriate amount of time and/or money to train a feat. Works best with combat centric feats more than likely. Most DMs are flexible enough for that I think, depending on the feat.

Person_Man
2009-06-05, 12:10 PM
Fighter, Ranger, Scout, Knight, and dozens of prestige classes. In particular, Chameleon gives you a bonus feat that you can change every morning.

Certain magic items give you a feat. I know there's one in the Magic Item Compendium that gives Mobility, and another that gives Improved Sunder, for example.

You can ask your DM to use Flaws (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingcharacters/characterflaws.htm).

There's a Wiz 2 spell in the Spell Compendium called Heroics which gives you a Fighter bonus feat that you qualify for, for 10 min per level.

The Skillful (Complete Arcane) enhancement grants you proficiency in the weapon you are holding. Enchant the same weapon with Morphing (Item Comp) weapon, which lets you change it into any weapon. You now have proficiency in every weapon. You can also accomplish this with Master of Masks (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526), with excellent effect. To a lesser degree you can accomplish it with Warblade, who can re-focus any weapon specific feat each morning.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-05, 12:25 PM
Devoting yourself to an Elder Evil gives you 5 free bonus feats (1 immediately, then one for every 5 HD you have), albeit from that particular chapter from Elder Evils (which is fine, as there's a bunch of useful feats in that chapter alone).

Works wonderfully if your ultimate goal is to destroy all of creation/the gods.

Frosty
2009-06-05, 01:01 PM
You can then Shun the Dark Chaos those feats to other feats if you wish, and un-devote yourself.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-05, 01:09 PM
You can then Shun the Dark Chaos those feats to other feats if you wish, and un-devote yourself.

Then re-Devote yourself, then DCFS the feats away again, then un-Devote yourself, the repeat ad absurdum until you either get killed by the DM, run out of feats to take, or run out of uses of the DCFS.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-05, 01:32 PM
You can trade specific domains for the corresponding domain feat. The rules in Complete Champion don't require you to do that when you first acquire the domain, so you retain the option to do so as long as you have the domain. (It's a one-time swap, though; there's no option to trade back.)

A Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will give you 24 hour access to a particular domain. Many domains have feats as their granted powers. And I've assembled a list of magic items granting feats (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html).

Heroics doesn't fall under any of the listed magic stacking restrictions if the spell's effect is a different result (i.e., different Fighter bonus feat) each time -- but there's a limited duration, of course.

Southern Cross
2009-06-05, 04:45 PM
Depends on what sort of game you're playing.Judging from the Pathfinder Beta,a Pathfinder character gains a new feat every odd level,instead of every three levels as per D&D 3.5.

J.Gellert
2009-06-05, 05:28 PM

Shun the Dark Chaos? I am intrigued, where does that come from?

Arbitrarity
2009-06-05, 05:33 PM
Fiendish codex 1, 250 xp each, 8'th level wizard/cleric spells. Embrace the Dark Chaos swaps a feat for a fiendish feat, and Shun the dark chaos swaps a fiendish feat for any other feat.

So, get a specific, useless feat (EWP longbow, for elves, for example), Embrace, to make it a Fiendish feat, then Shun, to make it a useful feat, like Precise shot or something.

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-05, 05:40 PM
I actually came up with a houserule feat for this.

Extra Feat, (General)
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: You gain one extra feat that you meet the prerequisites for. This feat may be taken multiple times.

J.Gellert
2009-06-05, 05:40 PM
Fiendish codex 1, 250 xp each, 8'th level wizard/cleric spells. Embrace the Dark Chaos swaps a feat for a fiendish feat, and Shun the dark chaos swaps a fiendish feat for any other feat.

So, get a specific, useless feat (EWP longbow, for elves, for example), Embrace, to make it a Fiendish feat, then Shun, to make it a useful feat, like Precise shot or something.

Awesome...!

Flickerdart
2009-06-05, 05:49 PM
You can also be Human or Strongheart Halfling (Forgotten Realms) to get one single bonus feat at 1st.

Glyde
2009-06-05, 05:53 PM

Extra Feat, (General)
Benefit: You gain one extra feat that you meet the prerequisites for. This feat may be taken multiple times.

Feat Explosion, (General)
Benefit: On a successful touch attack, you may deal one damage for each feat you have to target.

Oh sorry, this isn't magic the gathering. I apologize.

Flickerdart
2009-06-05, 05:55 PM

Extra Feat, (General)
You may think that's not broken (because you're clearly not serious), but it's free Chaos Shuffle fodder.

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-05, 06:13 PM
You may think that's not broken (because you're clearly not serious), but it's free Chaos Shuffle fodder.

Never heard of Chaos Shuffle. Where's it found?

Tokiko Mima
2009-06-05, 06:35 PM
Never heard of Chaos Shuffle. Where's it found?

Fiendish Codex II, I believe. It's composed of two spells, Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos and it does cost a small amount of XP. There are other ways to do this like Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm). The Dark Chaos Shuffle just happens to be a particularly easy way for Wizards (specifically) to do it.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-06, 12:29 AM
Korivan, I find myself unclear on just what you mean by "extra" in this context. What would make a feat "extra"?