PDA

View Full Version : Hot Arabian Nights [IC]

TheThan
2009-06-05, 12:31 PM
The hand of fate has struck and you find yourself in great city of Hiyal. Whatever the reasons and circumstances behind your arrival at this place in time; one thing is certain; fate has its purposes and has set its gaze upon you. You roam the streets searching for something, but your not quite sure just what you seek. Eventually you wander into the bazaar distinct.

The Bazaar is large and filled almost to capacity. The streets are lined with street merchants, some squabble over prices while others try to entice you and others to stop and look at their wares. The scent of jasmine, frankincense and other fine spices and perfumes drift through the air, but the sweet smells are undercut by the ever-present musk of too many people in too tight of a place. All sorts of colors flash before your eyes as you move through the bazaar. Colorful exotic animals, fruits and vegetables, jewelry and jems, mundane items like pottery are all on sale in this place of wonder. A group of half crazed barbers are putting on a dazzling display of swordsmanship, while other street performers are dancing, juggling and performing street magic. All with the intent to cause pedestrians to part with their well earned coin.

Over the din of the crowd, one voice rings clear and true.

“Warriors, sorcerers, those who seek adventure: if you are of good character, your services are sought! Travel by sea and sand, receive fine wages, and be in service to those who serve the Grand Caliph! Come now and speak with me, for the available places are almost filled!”

This calling, ringing out over and over catches your attention and you are drawn to it. Maybe it’s the promise of wages, or the promise of adventure. Whatever your reasons you soon find yourself standing in front of an elderly man wearing blue robes and a white turban. He is rather plain looking though he sports a well-trimmed yet gray goatee. He introduces himself as Ruan al-Hiyali, a simple spokesman seeking adventurers for a short yet important job. He asks if you are interested in this task.

list of players

Jamila (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6426) The human swashbuckler played by BooNL
Alana Tinehtele (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=129336) The half elf Beguiler, played by MistressBaerne
Tariq 'al-Munir' ibn Baqi (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6431) The Human binder, played by CullinaneLives
Ghazi ibn Zubair (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=129409) The human druid, played by Gnorman
Bayhas Fu'ad (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=129755) The half orc duskblade, played by Colonel Fuster

BooNL
2009-06-05, 01:32 PM
Jamilia

As the merchants were displaying their wares and enticing their customers a hooded figure, dressed in simple beige robes shuffled past the stalls. The figure had been talking to shopkeepers and especially arms dealers for the better part of the morning. A curse could be heard after yet another merchant threw his hands in the air, signaling that there was nothing he could do.

When Ruan al-Hiyali called out his offer, the figure pulled back her hood. A fair and beautiful face had been hidden underneath it. Her black curling hair danced along the tune of the wind as Jamilia walked up to the stand.

She stood a few paces back from the crowd as she opened her mouth to speak. "Good sir. Might I inquire as to why our most delightful Grand Caliph would ever consider requesting the services of ones such as lowly as us?"

She was annoyed at her fruitless search and was quite willing to stir up some trouble if it meant a distraction from her usual routine.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-05, 02:19 PM
Someone who is obviously a traveler walks through the market, leading a camel. He has high boots with slightly pointed toes, a turban held fast with a gemless clip, and a scarf with some embroidery on it. On closer inspection, though, a learned man may notice the emboidery that covers his clothing is, in fact, draconic runes. Hesjing; Sjach; Oposs. Water, Shadow, Rain.

He trudges up to the crier with a grin that is hidden behind his scarf wrappings. He unsteadily speaks in as little orcish accent as possible, "Fate has driven me here, Ruan. I humbly request that you permit me to go on this quest for our most high... caliph." He says the last word as if he didn't quite understand it.

Gnorman
2009-06-05, 03:22 PM
A towering, dark-skinned man dressed in Al-Badi silks maneuvers his way to the front of the crowd and bows stiffly, awkwardly.

Ahem. Sahib, I am no sorcerer, but you will find my skills to be more valuable than those of a magician - for I shall keep your adventurers alive in the desert sun.

CullinaneLives
2009-06-05, 05:07 PM
Tariq

Having been watching and listening to the man calling for adventurers for some time, Tariq brightened as someone finally approached the man to inquire after his offer. He looked each of them over casually, assessing any threats they might pose before straightening up and walking towards them with purpose.

He smiles broadly as he approaches, bright white teeth contrasting sharply with the mahogany color of his skin. "Ah, my friends! It is good to meet you! I am intrigued by the High Caliph's offer as well. Tariq 'Al-Munir' ibn Baqi, at your service, good people," he offers with a deep bow. The man is of average height and build, but moves with the grace of dancer or a great cat and carries himself as proudly.

TheThan
2009-06-05, 10:28 PM
Ruan al-Hiyali
With a flourish the man bows low to the gathered group.

“Ahh you look like the perfect group of adventurers I need. I am Ruan al-Hiyali I seek adventures to guard a shipment of weapons to the great city of Qudra. The journey itself poses little risk; it is a pleasant and leisurely voyage up the coast, then a short trip by land to the gates of Great Qudra. If you accept, you will receive fine wages and the chance to view the magnificent Mosque of Blood. As for payment, I offer 45 gold coins and a weapon crafted from the very forges of Hiyal, which produce the finest weapons in the land. Although, I could use one more such as you.”

BooNL
2009-06-06, 11:23 AM
Jamila

Jamila listened to Ruan and considered his offer. Although she didn't want to be tied down to a contract, the fact was that she had little gold left, her search in Hiyal was fruitless and she didn't know where to go next.

She straightened up and took a step forward. "I accept your offer Ruan al-Hiyali. My name is Jamila al-Wasati, askara and traveler."

She looked over to the others gathered near Ruan and she doubted whether any of them had ever seen combat, they all looked too green for her comfort.

MistressBaerne
2009-06-06, 05:08 PM
Alana Tinehtele

So that's what Delora meant by "as sneaky as the builder" thought Alana, turning away from an apparently-normal house just off the Bazaar. One of the thick sandstone walls had turned out to be hollow behind a false stone, a perfect place to hide a small treasure without having to pay for one's own security. The half-elven woman ached to find out what exactly was inside the secret vault, but that part of the investigation would have to wait, as she'd left her thieves' kit behind that morning and couldn't have entered in broad daylight anyway. Whistling a jaunty tune, she strolled back towards the Bazaar, looking for something to investigate or somebody to scam. It was thus entirely by chance that Alana heard Ruan al-Hiyali's proposal, and by more chance that her interest had been piqued by the robed man. She hurried through the crowd, habitually turning her cloak inside out to change her appearance slightly, yet still contriving to appear as thought that were normal behavior.
"Sayyid! Perhaps I can offer my assistance in this matter?" She bows deeply, swirling the cloak in a dramatic fashion. "I am Alana Tinehtele of the city of Hiyal, and it would be my honor to assist in this task in whatever way, magical or mundane, that lies within my power."

TheThan
2009-06-07, 01:06 PM
Ruan al-Hiyali
Clasping his hands together in delight, the elderly man says,
“OH, perfect you are exactly the person I was looking for. Miss Jamila here, has already accepted my terms and I’m hope the rest of you will. There is a ship, The Sea Sprite, resting in the docks, it is to take the cargo to a small village named Adhal, there you are to travel overland by caravan to great Qudra, the city of power. Where your journey ends.

Gnorman
2009-06-07, 03:51 PM
Ghazi examined his compatriots with a keen eye, his gaze lingering so long that some might have felt uncomfortable.

I am Ghazi ibn Zubair, brother to Fariq ibn Zubair, nephew of Rami ibn Asim. My father was Zubair ibn Asim. I am sworn to avenge his death. If this task allows me to profit in order that I might come closer to that goal, I shall accompany you.

Finishing his examinations, he swept his cloak around him and narrowed his eyes at the sun above.

It is my solemn hope, my newfound friends, that you are all as competent as you say you are. The sun is hot. The journey will not be kind. If you are weak, you should leave now and save us the trouble of having to rescue your corpse from the jackals.

Ghazi bowed stiffly again, his weapons and armaments clinking audibly.

I have not been to sea before. It shall be an interesting experience.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-08, 12:12 AM
Bayhas bowed to the companions that were to share his journey, trying but failing to ignore their appraising looks.

"I have forsworn the company of others in bed," he says gently, putting a camel muck-stained hand onto Ghazi's shoulder wrapped in fine silk in a friendly, let-you-down-easy way, "I do not appreciate your lustful stare." He intones to the rest of the people gathered as he mounts his camel. "If the jackals try to drag away my corpse, please let them have their meal, Ghazi. They will deserve it, seeing as to how we shall be on a ship, and they will have to swim for their supper. Then again, you have never been to the sea before, maybe you thought that they let them onto the ship as honored passengers?" He immediately turns to the hiring man before he is mounted. "Blessed by fate are you, Ruan. I shall not tarry, and will examine my and my camel's quarters on the Sea Spirit."

Gnorman
2009-06-08, 02:38 AM
Hmph. Do not think for a second that I would debase myself by sharing your bed. I prefer my companions to have considerably less fur. And no tusks.

Ghazi snorted loudly.

As for your other comment. It is not the jackals of the sea I warn you of. No, the sailors shall be far more worrisome to you than mere dogs. It is the jackals and assorted other dangers once we land. Or did you think we would spend the rest of our natural lives asea?

CullinaneLives
2009-06-08, 11:30 AM
Tariq

Grinning once more, the young man rests a hand on each of the arguing men's shoulders. "Please, my friends. Let us not turn our prowess on one another. We can best handle the situation by coming to an understanding of intentions and abilities, yes? We are all equal in the eyes of Fate, my friends."

ColonelFuster
2009-06-08, 01:15 PM
Bayhas wraps his embroidered scarf around his mouth, covering his slightly jutting lower teeth, and says in a partially muffled voice, "Indeed. I apologize, friends. I am but a begining scimitar fighter, with some small magical prowess, but perhaps my brute strength will be of some use to you."

MistressBaerne
2009-06-08, 06:34 PM
"Come, now! There is surely no need to quarrel so early in the journey - before it has properly begun, even. I believe we have all been overly excited by the prospect of adventure. Surely it is of vital importance to remain at peace with our comrades in arms?" Alana's appeal is couched in a reasonable tone - So reasonable as to be slightly suspicious, if not outright questionable.

"Again, I am Alana Tinehtele, daughter of Hawat ibn Tabr of Hiyal and Margaery Tinehtele of the elven House Tinehtele." she continued, pulling out her most common tale-of-origin. "I am pleased to make the acquaintance of such a... unique group as ours." A deep bow accentuated Alana's flowery speech.

TheThan
2009-06-09, 04:29 PM
Ruan al-Hiyali

in a rushed voice, Ruan al-Hiyali says,

“Yes, yes, please do not fight amongst yourselves. Look out for those who may seek to steal from our esteemed Grand Caliph, these are indeed your enemies. Now the Sea Sprite is being loaded as we speak in the docks, it should be ready to set sail by dusk.”

CullinaneLives
2009-06-09, 04:58 PM
Tariq

"Perhaps we should not delay further, hm? We can get better acquainted on the Sea Sprite, can we not? And discuss things more comfortably and less," Tariq pauses with a brief glance at al-Hiyali, "rushed?" He turns back to al-Hiyali once more. "How will the captain know we are who we say we are, hm?" he inquires.

Gnorman
2009-06-09, 07:12 PM
Hmph. Yes. My apologies, effendi. I am used to the desert wastes. We are more abrupt in our speech there. I did not mean to offend. Let us not tarry.

TheThan
2009-06-10, 02:51 PM
Ruan al-Hiyali

“You needn’t worry about such things, my friend. I’ll take care of it.”
Ruan says as he gently pushes two of you in the general direction of the docks.
With a friendly smile he continues,
“I suggest you be on your way, lest you miss your ship”

CullinaneLives
2009-06-10, 03:03 PM
Tariq

Tariq grins broadly and nods sagely. "Of course, of course!" He turns to those gathered. "Let us not tarry here any longer. To the Sea Sprite and our Fate, hm?"

BooNL
2009-06-11, 02:01 AM
Jamila

Jamila had been quietly watching the two quarrel. Tariq's broad grin throws her off balance though and finds herself smiliing as well. For the first time in months, the heavy weight on her shoulders feels lightened.

"It seems are fates are intertwined then. Come then, there is nothing keeping me here any longer." She sets off towards the docks, convinced others will follow in her step.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-11, 05:44 AM
Bayhas mounts his camel and nudges it to stride off after the rest of the party.

MistressBaerne
2009-06-11, 09:53 AM
A grin and yet another extravagant bow from Alana, who turns and skips off in the direction of the docks.

TheThan
2009-06-11, 12:51 PM
Hiyal City of Intrigue

Your small group wanders the city for a few moments before finding the right street to the docks. Once there you easily find the Sea Sprite resting in the harbor. The crew is busy loading the cargo bay with large crates each marked with the symbol of the Hiyal steel works.

You notice several large and intimidating guards standing close watch over the ship. Judging by their dress they are clearly Mamluks send from Qudra. One Mamluk stands out from the rest. This one is not standing guard; instead she is barking orders to dock workers and sailors.

The woman, is a petite ebony skinned human. Like the other Malmuks she wears sandals, opaque white harem pants, a blue halter top covering her modesty and a red vest with gold embroidery. Her black hair is done in simple straight cornrows. She wears a red sash with two scimitars tucked into them at her narrow hips. She seems preoccupied with ordering people around and doesn’t seem to notice your approach.

CullinaneLives
2009-06-11, 01:27 PM
Tariq

What need have they of our lot when they have a nice complement of Mamluks of Qudra? Tariq muses to himself as he moves forward of the group by a half-step and gently clears his throat.

"Sincerest apologies for interrupting you, but we," he indicates his companions with an expansive wave, "have been hired to guard a shipment of weapons headed for Qudra," he says in a good-natured but business-like tone, much akin to the one his father and unlces use to denote authority without being overbearing.

TheThan
2009-06-11, 05:54 PM
The Sea Sprite

The Mamluks woman half-turns and gives Tariq a brief once over. A question raises on her lips but a sudden crash distracts her.
“If you’re supposed to be sailing with us, you’ve better get onboard, we’re ahead of schedule and should be leaving soon. She says as she spins around and heads off in the direction of the disturbance, yelling at dock workers as she does.

you noticed that the woman's Mamluks facial tattoos indicate a fairly high rank. whomever she is, she commands a certain degree of authority.

CullinaneLives
2009-06-12, 10:41 AM
Tariq

With a nod, Tariq turns back to his companions. "I suggest we get aboard and make ready. She's not one to be delayed or trifled with, I think," he says with a low chuckle. "Not to mention her rank, as well."

ColonelFuster
2009-06-12, 11:27 AM
Bayhas nods to his companion, checking the scarf around his face before dismounting and boarding the ship.
His first action is to hands off his camel to whoever looks like they're in charge of the animals on board, slipping them one of his few remaining gold pieces. "Please treat him as well as you are able. I will be down to take care of him every day, so do not worry yourself with much else than feeding him when he is hungry."

TheThan
2009-06-13, 10:44 PM
The Sea Sprite

A laborer takes Bayhas’s camel and tries to lead him off down to the hold of the ship. The stubborn animal decides to let his new handler know he’s not liked and struggles for several minutes until a hushed word from Bayhas sends the camel down into the hold, nearly trampling the poor laborer on its way.

Meanwhile the rest of the ship is either preparing for launch, or securing the remaining cargo. While you look for a place out of the way, you notice three others seemingly lounging around on the rear deck.

One is clearly a mercenary, he wears a leather vest and loose pants, a long spear leans against the rail and a katar tucked into his belt. The other is also clearly a warrior of some kind; he wears a bandoleer with thick bottles of urine colored liquid in them. He also has a quiver of crossbow bolts and a scimitar and dagger tucked into a shash. He’s dressed in loose trousers and shirt with a loose vest over it, and a simple white turban. The last man is large and barrel chested, with a thick but well trimmed beard and leathery weather worn skin. He wears a typical sailors outfit, only much larger than usual. He also wears a white apron and cap.

The three men seem to be discussing something in low whispers, you are too far away to hear.

Gnorman
2009-06-14, 04:51 AM
Pfeh. I never liked the sea. Too much water.

Ghazi grabs a perch by the bow and begins to gaze over the side.

Far too much water, and none of it's good for drinking. What a waste. Hmph.

Well. I suppose we're to be traveling together for some time, then? Might as well get to know my companions. I am curious, my newfound compatriots, as to the situations that led you here, delivering weapons. Not your usual trade, I take it?

BooNL
2009-06-14, 05:40 AM
Jamila

Jamila had quickly checked into her quarters when boarding, hoping to claim the best cabin for herself.

Gazing over the rail, she hears Ghazi's questions and considers her answers. "I have never been to the sea. So I am looking forward to this journey."

Her eyes still fixed on the open water in the distance. "I am searching for a family heirloom lost generations ago. Guarding shipments for the Grand Caliph is an effective way to travel."

CullinaneLives
2009-06-15, 04:57 PM
Tariq

The young man nods sagely at Jamila's flat explanation. "What would this heirloom be, If I am not too bold?" Tariq inquires with a deferential bow. "As to my own situation..." he pauses a moment, clearly for effect, then smiles broadly and continues, "I am a seeker of knowledge. The first thing I seek is knowledge of the world around me. How better to know one's self, than to know what make's one who and what they are? Some think the hand of Fate fickle. Others try, and often fail, to force it to their bidding. I merely seek knowledge and understanding. The time was right, so here I am."

TheThan
2009-06-16, 02:46 PM
The Sea Sprite

Bells ring over amid ship, near the single tall mast. All the sailors and Mamluks, as well as the three men near the back of the boat begin to gather near the mast. Standing in the circle is the Mamluk woman you spoke to earlier as well as a tall thin man with a neatly trimmed beard, he wears a simple sailors outfit, only unlike the others on board his outfit is immaculately clean, and brightly colored, as if it was brand new. He wears a scimitar on his belt and has neatly trimmed black hair.

A halfing woman with long graying hair purposefully steps out from below deck and approaches the mast. The immaculate sailor attempts to help up onto a barrel, but she waves him off and climbs upon it herself. Getting a better view of the woman, you can tell that she is elderly and posses and a stern face and steely blue eyes. She is wearing a finely woven dress and blue shawl that matches her eyes. She is not wearing a veil, but judging from her stance, she seems to be the sort to take charge anyway so it matters little.

“I am Bahramiyah al-Musafir, the owner of the Hiyal foundries. As you already know, this is the yearly arms caravan from Hiyal to Qudra. Our journey takes up the coast to the port town of Adhal, where we will continue by caravan to the gates of Qudra. In total this trip should take about 7 days to reach our destination. I leave all matters of our voyage in the capable hands of Captain Amar AL-Nisr. She indicates the cleanly dressed sailor to her right.
“Commander Akila Abd al-Amin here, is in charge of security. Please defer to her for order. She is a commander of a company of the Faithful, on of Qudra’s finest mamluk societies. Please show her all the respect her station is due. she says indicating the wiry woman to he left.
I would also like to introduce our chef, Zaid bin Ziyad.”
The large man that you spied earlier steps forward from the crowd and gives a flourishing bow. It’s mildly amazing how such a girth can manage such agility.
I shall endeavor to produce the best cuisine my meager skills can muster for our esteemed leaders.
And none for the rest of us?
A shout from the back of the group causes a light a chuckle to burst from the crowd, save the mamluks on board; they don’t have a sense of humor.

After the laughter dies down Bahramiyah continues,
yes, Zaid will be happy to prepare meals for everyone undertaking the journey. Now I shall leave you to your duties.

As she climbs down a cheer and applause breaks out from the gathered group. She retires to her cabin waving as she goes. Once the crowd dies down, the captain hops up on the same barrel and begins shouting orders to crew.
Now get to work you sea jackals, we’ve got the wind at our backs, and I don’t want to loose it!
With that, the ship bursts into a bee hive of busy work, the crew begins making ready to sail, securing the last bits of remaining cargo, weight anchor, setting the single sail etc. The mamluks make busy trying to get out of the way of the bustling crew. A call from the commander gathers the 30 or so men together into a large huddle. You see also see the two other hired guards gather amongst them.

CullinaneLives
2009-06-16, 02:57 PM
Tariq

Waving his companions towards the assemblage, Tariq grins and chuckles lightly. "Perhaps we should join, since we seem to be a part of the security detail. I, for one, would hate to get on her bad side!"

MistressBaerne
2009-06-16, 05:53 PM
"I agree. We should ask Commander al-Amin if there is anything in particular we ought to be doing."

ColonelFuster
2009-06-16, 09:34 PM
"Agreed, Master Tariq," Bayhas says grimly.
He then turns to Ghazi and says good naturedly, "Looks like sailors really are the jackals of the sea. I was foolish to speak out of turn."

BooNL
2009-06-17, 01:31 AM
Jamila

Jamila takes a deep breath as she approaches the commander with her newfound companions. "I haven't followed orders in a very long time. Somehow I doubt the mamluks have changed any."

TheThan
2009-06-17, 08:31 PM
The sea sprite

You all gather around the stern commander, as she begins giving orders.
We are going to break up into four shifts for guard duty. First platoon will take first watch, second platoon second watch, you… mercenaries… will take third watch, while third platoon takes fourth watch. Each shift will last six hours.

As she speaks, the wind kicks up and you feel a slight lurch under your feet. Looking around, you see the sail is set and is billowing nicely in the breeze. The cool sea air feels good on your skin,
The ship is slowly pulling away from the docks. Looking at the cloudless blue sky, you see that it is close to one o’clock, which means your guard shift is due to report for duty.

MistressBaerne
2009-06-17, 09:15 PM
Alana strolls to the commander of the platoon currently on duty. She comes briefly to attention (copying whatever drill the Mamluks have been using), and says: "Third watch reporting for duty, Honorable Sergeant."

Gnorman
2009-06-17, 11:16 PM
Though he does not greet, salute, or otherwise acknowledge the presence of the commander, Ghazi stands quiet and ready to assume his watchful duty.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-17, 11:42 PM
Bayhas is already in an unoccupied portion of the deck, practicing sweeping forms with his scimitar, pausing occaisionally to wipe the spray from his blade thoughtfully.

CullinaneLives
2009-06-18, 05:06 PM
Tariq

"Third watch. Hottest part of the day. At least we're at sea, so the spray and wind should abet the worst of it, hm?" Tariq chuckles as he looks at his companions. "What is that you do, Bayhas?" he inquires when there seems to be a break in the routine.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-19, 12:24 AM
Bayhas

Bayhas, pausing to wipe the spray from his sword with a clean cloth, replies honestly, "practiced forms learned from my father in the way of scimitar fighting. With the magic of my mother, the sword of my father, and the grace of the Sand People, I may overcome any adversary." He demonstrates a few forms, naming them. Sweeping downward, side-to-side slashes, and short stabs. "Hawk dives to meet snake. Jackal rips corpse. Lions mating." He probably blushes with the last name, saying, "Er, that's an orcish form with a fitting name." He continues demonstrating other forms with various desert-themed names, and only stops when Tariq ceases interest. "Camel climbs hill. Dune covers stream. Crocodile pounces. Djinn steals soul."

CullinaneLives
2009-06-19, 08:19 AM
Tariq

Tariq's attention does not waver, though he chuckles at the lions mating maneuver. He laughs outright at djinn steals soul. "Do you think so? Perhaps they merely long for ways to interact with our world more fully? There are other ways to speak with those of the elemental planes."

MistressBaerne
2009-06-19, 09:33 AM
Alana

At the mention of interplanar magic - a field about which she knows little - Alana's ears perk up. "Oh? Please, enlighten me. I must confess a long-standing curiosity towards the djinni."

CullinaneLives
2009-06-19, 09:39 AM
Tariq

Turning to Alana, Tariq nods. "A fascinating subject, really. My family have long had a tradition of speaking with elemental spirits for boons of power at the expense of allowing them to...ride along and see the world through our own eyes. Occasionally, they get a little more rambunctious than they ought to and try to exert influence over us, but in the end, we have the choice of giving in to their wishes or not, with but minor penalties should we do so. It is called pact magic."

TheThan
2009-06-21, 11:20 PM
The sea sprite

The days pass by slowly; there isn’t much to do on the ship. Most of the crew spend their down time gambling with dice and playing cards. But not the mamluks, they don’t gamble. In fact they don’t seem to do much but stand around and glare at everyone else. The winds have been strong and the days fair. The ship is making good time to Adhal. Despite the boredom there are up sides to this voyage, the cool weather and the amazing good food, Zaid bin Ziyad is truly a master chef, given he’s been given little more than basic ships rations to work with.

As the third day rolls onward, you take your shift as usual. While you are changing shifts, the Sea Sprite sails past a formation of rocks known locally as the kraken’s teeth . Many ships have been wrecked on the rocks during poor weather, but since the weather is anything but poor, no one is worried about such an occurrence. One of the two mercenaries that sails with you has taken his usual position in the crows nest. And the rest of you take your normal positions around the ship.

An hour or so pass by without incident, then a voice rings out,

Ship Ahoy! Coming from astern!

All hands, the captain and everyone else on deck at the time rush to the stern to see. The ship is smaller than the Sea Sprite and very sleek. It has a low waterline and a dangerous look about it. You squint and lean forward, trying to make out more details about the ship. Alana, Tariq and Ghazi all notice the same thing about the ship, a black speck high up in the mast, fluttering in the wind.

Captain Amar AL-Nisr pulls out a spyglass and takes a look, after a moment he takes it from his eye, and curses aloud rather creatively. Glancing at you he says,

Well it looks like you’re about to earn your pay. he punctuates his sentence by closing his spyglass.

Bahramiyah al-Musafir with both Commander Akila Abd al-Amin and Zaid bin Ziyad in tow appears on deck behind the crowd.

what’s going on?! she demands as she pushes her way through the crowd. Someone points out the ship and the captain offers her his spyglass. A cold expression creeps on her face and she asks,
can’t we outrun them?

Normally yes, but they are using the same wind we are, and we’re too heavily laden with your cargo to make an escape. But I’ll be damned if I’ll let pirates dogs take my ship! the captain responds. Turning to the commander he says,
I suggest you get your men ready commander, this is going to be messy turning to the crew he says, Sound general quarter, all hands make ready for a fight! And pray to whatever gods you believe in we survive this!

Spot rolls:

Jamila 16
Alana Tinehtele 17
Tariq 'al-Munir' ibn Baqi 6
Ghazi ibn Zubair, Desert Wolf 14
Bayhas Fu'ad 2

Gnorman
2009-06-23, 12:30 AM
Ghazi snarls and readies his spear.

See? What did I tell you? Prepare yourselves well, comrades. I will not let them throw my carcass into the godforsaken ocean.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-23, 02:13 PM
What are the spot rolls for?

CullinaneLives
2009-06-23, 02:22 PM
Tariq

"That is not a fate any of us would choose, my friend. Let us see what can be done to preserve both our cargo and our hides, hm?" Tariq chuckles. He stands arms akimbo as small eddies of wind seem to pull and push at him in random intervals.

TheThan
2009-06-23, 04:57 PM
[OOC]

To spot the pirate flag on the ship, don’t know why I even bothered. I just felt like rolling dice.
:smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2009-06-26, 05:37 PM
OOC

hey, I need to know if I still have players. It's been a while since anyone but me has posted, and I'm a little worried. I know I've already lost one player, and I'm concerned about everyone else.

Gnorman
2009-06-26, 05:48 PM
OOC:

We're waiting on you, TheThan.

At least, I was.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-26, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I was, too. I kinda assumed that I would roleplay being suprised at the outset of combat because of my crappy spot roll.

TheThan
2009-06-27, 01:41 PM
The sailors spring into action, the bosun of the ship, runs below deck with a group of sailors with him, they form a bucket line of weaponry, passing them out to anyone within reach, swords, daggers, bows with quivers, many spears, clubs, just about any weapon you can see. These do not seem to be the high quality weapons you are transporting, it must be the Sea Sprite’s own weapons. The bosun emerges with a large repeating crossbow. He heads to the rear and hooks it up to the railing, then he loads the weapon with bolts and locks the mechanism back.

Meanwhile the company of mamluks rush on the deck from the hold. They all are armed with spears; the larger ones have large two-handed scimitars on their belts while the smaller ones in the group are armed with normal sized scimitars.
The Faithful, to starboard! you hear the commander yell out over the din of the sailors cambering around on deck to take up repelling position. You see the Mamluks take up position on the starboard side of the ship, making a loose skirmisher formation, spears at the ready.

At the stern of the ship, the captain begins barking out orders; afterward he turns to al-Musafir and hands her a narrow curved dagger. He tells her to hide in her cabin and to be careful. She disappears in the crowd, hopefully heading below deck.

In the few minutes that it takes for the ship to prepare for battle, the pirate ship has closed to within firing range. Flights of arrows rain down on the crew, some stick into the furnishings on the deck, a couple wound sailors or Mamluks, but most just fall harmlessly onto the decking.

Soon after that the ships are side by side. Grappling hooks fly across the expanse between the two ships; some of the mamluks try to unhook some of them. Some are successful and manage to do it, the hook making a splash in the water. Others aren’t so lucky. The archers open fire on the mamluks, pinning them down. A few manage to hurl their spears back. You hear a huge cry from the aft deck, turning you see the bosun open fire with his crossbow, peppering the enemy deck with bolts.

A huge grunt emanates from the other ship, and the Sea Sprite lurches to the starboard and suddenly bodies spring forth onto the deck of the ship, weapons of various sorts drawn. Some are impaled on the Mamluk’s spears, others manage to get through and start the attack. carnage unfolds as the boarding action breaks into a bloodbath.

ooc

Ok I’ve decided to skip the surprise round, so just roll initiative and post actions everyone.
Also I need to know if I have to DMPC BooNL’s character.

Gnorman
2009-06-27, 05:56 PM
Ghazi lets loose with a fierce howl. Fur begins to sprout from his body and his teeth sharpen into fangs. His nose lengthens into a feral snout and jaw, and he drops low on all fours. A few seconds later, Ghazi is gone, replaced by a wolf with golden yellow fur.

The wolf immediately goes for the throat of the nearest pirate.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Ghazi's current HP: 10
Ghazi's current AC: 20

OOC: We have no idea what we're fighting, how many, how far away, or anything. Any plans to include some sort of grid?

MistressBaerne
2009-06-27, 07:00 PM
OOC: I'm a beguiler. I can't do anything without more details.

TheThan
2009-06-27, 09:12 PM
Well I tried to make a simple map and it didn’t work out the way i wanted it to. so I’m going to have to draw one. I’ll try to get it up when I can.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-27, 10:04 PM
Thanks, mate. For now i'll just roll initiative and wait to see what the map looks like.

[roll0]

TheThan
2009-06-28, 12:26 AM
Map in spoiler.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/battle1.jpg

Note:

Orange: bad guys
Blue: good guys
Pink: alana
Yellow: tariq
Light blue: bayhas
Green: Ghazi

I’m DMPCing Jamila for now so don’t worry about her.

The grid is in five-foot increments. The debris count as dense rubble for movements and whatnot. Everything else is nice smooth wooden decking. The upper decks are less than ten feet up so you can jump down without injury, though you might want to consider tumbling and dex checks for cool swashbuckling action. I leave your actions up to you.

TheThan
2009-06-29, 10:59 PM
Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Is this game dead or what?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I even posted a map and everything.

ColonelFuster
2009-06-30, 01:09 AM
Bayhas steps calmly to the pirate standing in front of him and lifts his scimitar to the bandit's throat, hoping to slice neatly through it's clavicle and into the ribcage, but probably not aiming with the surgical precision truly needed. He hadn't finished all his practice, after all.
"A good skirmish is sometimes needed in place of formal training." He grins with his underbite and fangish teeth in full force. "Do something that I won't expect," he says gleefully after his blow is completed.

attack-[roll0]
hit-[roll1]