PDA

View Full Version : I need level adjustments for these (probably epic) metamagic feats

Stormthorn
2009-06-05, 02:15 PM
Supreme Spell
The Save DC of a spell modified by this is increased by 20.

Force Spell
All damage dealt by a force spell is force damage.

Vast Spell
You can alter a burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped spell to increase its area. Any numeric measurements of the spell’s area increase by 500%.

Eternal Spell
All duration effects of the effected spell are advanced one step on the following scale. (Round-Minutes-10 Minutes- Hours- Days-Weeks-Months-Years)

Reaping Spell
Creature struck by spell saves (Fort, DC30) or dies instantly and their body ages (1/ year per spell level+ability score bonus in years) if they have less hitpoints than the spells maximized damage potential. Otherwise the spell acts as normal. Spell must be a damage-dealing one.

Multi-spell
You can cast up to 3 spells (total level up to 12) simultaniously as a full-round action. (you burn those spell slots and levels still)

Spell-Wave
Cast up to 30 levels worth of spells as a full round action as long as the spells have an Area of Effect. The spells are now all acting in the same 30ft Cone rather than their normal AoEs. (spells are still burned, as above. This is the more advanced form of the above metamagic)

DracoDei
2009-06-05, 02:51 PM
Force Spell MIGHT be as little as 2 levels... Energy substitution is +0, but NOTHING has energy resistance to Force that I know of, and it can hit ethereal/incorporeal creatures reliably to boot.

Supreme Spell... basically removes the saving throw for most practical purposes, except they still make it on a natural 20.... heighten spell +20 levels could do the same thing... since this doesn't get around globes of invulnerability and other such spell level fights, we will call it a "mere" +10 spell levels... maybe?

Vast... at this level it is plot and roleplaying rather than actual combat effectiveness we are talking about between this and Widen... widen is +100% for +3 spell levels... so call this a mere +6 (a doubled doubling and then a bit more, and it takes an Epic feat).

Eternal also suffers from diminishing value of returns... and the name doesn't match the fluff... but for the fluff... +3 should do it I think... should still be useful for Epic druids trying to summon half a forest before they "kick in the door"...

Reaping... shouldn't bypass immunities/resistances/Improved Evasion (or maybe just evasion?) like it does now... fix that and a +5 or +6 might do it...(see near the end of this paragraph) has to be high enough that you basically use it to wipe out peons that are just enough of a threat that the melee experts don't want to risk Great-Cleaving their way through them over the course of several rounds. This also saves everyone at the gaming table some time since there is a lot less dice-rolling involved than there would be for a bunch of AoEs and saves... Of course that is assuming it DOESN'T allow a save... which actually it should, since no-save disintegrates are just bad, and I already said that a +20 to the DC was worth +10 spell levels... maybe have this only be a +4 spell level thing, but have it calculate the insta-kills as if they had made their saves? That sounds good.

Something like Multi-spell already exists in the Epic rules.

Spell-wave... can't really be meta-magic... Sounds like a 1/day thing too... yeah, just give it a bunch of pre-requisites, and make it a 1/day thing... actually you COULD do it as metamagic... just means you have to select the set(s) of spells you use when you prepare them to do this if you prepare spells... sorcerers etc have a little remembered rule about metamagicking things that take a full round or more, which is that it takes an additional Full-round. So just specify that it all counts as one spell for the purposes of the metamagic spell casting time increase for spontaneous casters IE it takes them 2 full rounds.

TheGrimace
2009-06-05, 10:19 PM
Supreme Spell
I'd call this +14. That makes it better than heightening, if you buy in bulk

Force Spell
yeah, Draco said +3 I think, I was going to say +2

Vast Spell
You can alter a burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped spell to increase its area. Any numeric measurements of the spell’s area increase by 500%.
a doubling of a doubling is a tripling... according to the math logic of third edition, +6 should grant a 200% increase. Now, I don't think this is worth +15, but, I would drop it at +8

Eternal Spell
All duration effects of the effected spell are advanced one step on the following scale. (Round-Minutes-10 Minutes- Hours- Days-Weeks-Months-Years)
Difficult to measure... how about +3

Reaping Spell
Creature struck by spell dies instantly and their body ages (1/ year per spell level+ability score bonus in years) if they have less hitpoints than the spells maximized damage potential. Otherwise the spell acts as normal. Spell must be a damage-dealing one.
This just scares me...

Multi-spell
You can cast up to 3 spells (total level up to 12) simultaniously as a full-round action. (you burn those spell slots and levels still)
leaving this as is, which spell would you apply the feat to? How about asa 15th level slot, you can cast three spells, max level of a single spell is 7th, maximum of 12 levels total

Spell-Wave
Cast up to 30 levels worth of spells as a full round action as long as the spells have an Area of Effect. The spells are now all acting in the same 30ft Cone rather than their normal AoEs. (spells are still burned, as above. This is the more advanced form of the above metamagic)[/QUOTE]
Same problem as multispell, which spell does the level adjustment apply to?

Stormthorn
2009-06-05, 10:51 PM
I was thinking that the last two you wouuld apply the metamagic to one single spell as the "base spell" and this essentialy lets you add more spells onto it. Kinda like Twin Spell but you have to actually burn those spells in exchange for being more powerful.

If you prepare a Spell Wave Fireball then you cant use spell wave unless you cast that fireball.

At least, thats what i was thinking.

Added a DC30 save to the reaping effect (which us only usefuk if the spell you cast could theoreticly kill the enemy anyways.)
See, you can Enhance a spell and add this to kill the enemy without also paying for the Maximize.

DracoDei
2009-06-06, 12:50 AM
Multi-spell

leaving this as is, which spell would you apply the feat to? How about asa 15th level slot, you can cast three spells, max level of a single spell is 7th, maximum of 12 levels total

Spell-Wave
Cast up to 30 levels worth of spells as a full round action as long as the spells have an Area of Effect. The spells are now all acting in the same 30ft Cone rather than their normal AoEs. (spells are still burned, as above. This is the more advanced form of the above metamagic)

Same problem as multispell, which spell does the level adjustment apply to?

I came up with the idea that you had to metamagic each of the individual spells involved...

purplearcanist
2009-06-06, 02:59 PM
Supreme Spell

+20 save sounds sort of redundant. How about make it no save?

I would have it be +3, but have each one require an individual, hard to attain material component. The DM can tweak the rarity based on how he feels about certain no save spells in the game. After all, a no-save daze is not a game breaker, but a no-save finger of death can be problematic.

Multi-spell

Confusing. how about Improved Quicken Spell? You can cast two quickened spells in a round. As a drawback, have it be once per day, or require the player to burn spell slots.

waterpenguin43
2009-06-06, 05:25 PM
Supreme spell is pretty powerful, but if you give it too high a level modifier it isn't really very useful, so +6.
Multi-Spell isn't that amazing, so maybe just add it as once per day for no level modifier.
Force Spell should be +2, energy substitution is free but nothing is resistant to force I think and it hits incorporeal things normally.
Vast Spell would be lethal during a war so I'd give it +8.
Eternal spell is hard to measure because how good it is varies, maybe +3.
Reaping Spell is just scary, +4.
Spell-Wave seems quite good actually, probably +5.

GoC
2009-06-06, 08:46 PM
Supreme Spell
+16

Force Spell
+3

Vast Spell
+6

Eternal Spell
Not balancable. There will always be things that completely break it (such as delay death).

Reaping Spell
Creature struck by spell saves (Fort, DC30) or dies instantly and their body ages (1/ year per spell level+ability score bonus in years) if they have less hitpoints than the spells maximized damage potential. Otherwise the spell acts as normal. Spell must be a damage-dealing one.
You can't really put a fixed increase on this one. Make the DC the same as the spell DC and it'd be +4.

Multi-spell
Don't understand this one.

Spell-Wave
Broken. Totally broken. An epic wizard can cast quite a few spells per round already but this allows damage in the thousands.