Stop Time
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4+1 hours

This spell appears to freeze you in time, although in actuality it merely slows you down so greatly you appear to be frozen. To the spellcaster the outside world seems to instantly shift to the end point of the spell. While frozen you are statue like, invulnerable to attacks, and cannot be the target of spells. Objects you are holding are similarly immune. Normal and magical fire, cold, gas, and the like cannot harm you. Nor can you suffocate or drown.

While your posture and position of held items cannot be changed you can be moved like a statue. However magical stasis provides additional inertia, requiring a DC20 Strength check to move you, in addition to any difficulty provided by your weight. Gravity affects you normally but you cannot take falling damage. Moving the frozen caster into an Anti-Magic field will end the spell prematurely.

Stop Time is useful for buying time against animal attacks or foes without means to dispel it, but naturally leaves you very vulnerable to where you'll be once the spell ends.

EENick
2009-06-05, 02:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing the concept here but why not just have the character "Chronoshift" (to borrow a word of Red Alert) 1d4+1 hours into the future with a limited ability to direct their point of arrival if something is in there way?

Seems like it would be easier to manage and could be a lower level spell. If I have to worry about dumb animals or enemies who can't dispell when I have level 9 spells to lob at them I'm probably doing something wrong. :smallwink:

ThorFluff
2009-06-05, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with it other than that it should be spell level 6, tops!

DracoDei
2009-06-05, 03:38 PM
Bases the level off of it being like STatue rather than Temporal Stasis, perhaps? I agree that 9th is way too high of a level.

Ashtagon
2009-06-05, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't even bother memorising this.

If you can't beat up mere animals at 17th level, you're doing it wrong. Any enemy who could possibly be a challenge at this level will only be more so once you give them 1d4+1 hours with which to prepare a proper ambush around you.

Croverus
2009-06-05, 03:44 PM
Lv 5 at the most, its a defensive spell that makes you completely damage immune unless it is dispelled, but you can not do anything till the spell ends. And against a smart person, they'd just set delayed spells, wait for you to come out of the spell, and bam, your screwed. I don't see much use of this spell against intelligent enemies. And persistant dangerous that still will be there when the spell ends.

DracoDei
2009-06-05, 03:48 PM
That is what the rest of the party is for, to get rid of whatever got you cornered enough to use the spell... of course 1d4+1 MINUTES might make it much more useful that way, but whichever...

Baron Corm
2009-06-05, 05:25 PM
Yeah, if you use this with contingency (whenever I would be dealt a killing blow), you never have to worry about death ever again, and your party can take care of the remaining bad guys. I agree that level 9 is too high, but it should be at least level 7, so you can't use it with contingency.

The Mentalist
2009-06-05, 05:44 PM
I think that's it's only really good use.

DracoDei
2009-06-05, 06:11 PM
I don't think that something that requires predicting the future like that is an acceptable trigger condition in the first place...

Lestrahl
2009-06-06, 06:25 PM
This might come in handy if you ever find yourself under assault by vampires in the pre-twilight hours. It's handiness would be greater if you could inflict this on the vampires though...

GoC
2009-06-06, 08:35 PM
This is only worth it if you make it hard to dispel. Make it have a +10 bonus against dispel attempts and it might be worthwhile.

J.Gellert
2009-06-07, 10:10 AM
And if you contingency it, it doesn't break - it's actually worse than "contingency: teleport back to my hideout". I wouldn't even spend the cost to write it on my spellbook if it was a level 1 spell.

If you change it from "You are frozen" to "You act on auto-pilot" it'd be useful to avoid boring social encounters as in the movie "Click". Then I would be glad if I got it for free (for example, when getting all 0-level spells as a wizard).

Also; Can you actually use contingency with anything with the trigger "whenever I would be dealt a killing blow"?

TSED
2009-06-07, 03:16 PM
It could be worth the 9th level slot if you make it a no-save touch spell...

Lysander
2009-06-07, 08:43 PM
It could be worth the 9th level slot if you make it a no-save touch spell...

Ooh. If it could be used on others as well, and perhaps using a fort save instead of will. It'd be a pretty useful weapon. Or a way to protect allies. "Freeze the princess! She cannot be harmed!"

Alcopop
2009-06-07, 08:56 PM
Maybe if you are still fully aware of your surroundings and get to choose exastly when the leave the spell. But yeah, still seventh level max. (I can see some uses)

Dagren
2009-06-07, 09:11 PM
Ooh. If it could be used on others as well, and perhaps using a fort save instead of will. It'd be a pretty useful weapon. Or a way to protect allies. "Freeze the princess! She cannot be harmed!"Are you teasing the OP? Because you pretty much just described Temporal Stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm).

Jogi
2009-06-08, 10:54 AM
Are you teasing the OP? Because you pretty much just described Temporal Stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm).

What about this being a minor Temporal Stasis? You see, Tempral Stasis is a lv 8 spell, that makes you freezed permanenty. Instead of making it permanently freezed, maybe OP should lower the spell level and give it a duration.

Thus we'd have Minor Temporal Stasis, possibly a lv 4-6 spell, with duration of something around 1d4+1 minutes. I'd use it. At the moment my party has to scout a werewolf back to the village. It'd be much easier if we could just freeze him every once in a while.

Dagren
2009-06-08, 11:07 AM
What about this being a minor Temporal Stasis? You see, Tempral Stasis is a lv 8 spell, that makes you freezed permanenty. Instead of making it permanently freezed, maybe OP should lower the spell level and give it a duration.

Thus we'd have Minor Temporal Stasis, possibly a lv 4-6 spell, with duration of something around 1d4+1 minutes. I'd use it. At the moment my party has to scout a werewolf back to the village. It'd be much easier if we could just freeze him every once in a while.Call it "lesser" and it's good. (Although I can't think of many examples when the only difference between two spells is just duration)

Lysander
2009-06-08, 11:20 AM
If it's a lesser version perhaps in addition to a limited duration, high sources of damage would have the potential to break the spell. What if you have to make an caster check with a multiplier versus high levels of damage. If you succeed the stasis continues. If the spell fails then the target takes no damage but the stasis ends.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-08, 12:04 PM
Well, at least it's not as overpriced as Eclipse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/eclipse.htm). God, what a waste of a perfectly good Spellcraft check. It's dark! We get it! So what!

Kami2awa
2009-06-08, 01:10 PM
Eclipse is fairly handy if you want to impersonate God.

Of course, most gods take objection to this...

Dagren
2009-06-08, 01:26 PM
Eclipse is fairly handy if you want to impersonate God.

Of course, most gods take objection to this...Yeah, but I'm sure there are plenty of lower level spells you could use for this, unless your marks were particularly jaded to high level wizards, and if that was the case it probably wouldn't work anyway.