PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Tiny races

Orzel
2009-06-05, 03:45 PM
So i was thing on how to do a tiny race in 4th edition with screing up the game and still be viable in most classes.

Here are my rules.
A Tiny creature's normal, heavy, and maximum loads ae halved.
A Tiny creature cannot use two-handed or versatile weapons of the normal size.
A Tiny creatue must wield a normal weapon with both hands unless in has the off hand property. A tiny character does not gain additional damage for doing so.
A Tiny creature may use a versatile weapon with the small keyword, but otherwise must wield a normal weapon with both hands unless it has the off hand property.
A Tiny creature takes up no space and has 0 natural reach.
A Tiny creature can end its movement in a larger creature's square and can move through the space of a creature of Medium size or larger.

So here is one:

Gremlin
Height: 2'0"-2'11"
Weight: 25-35 lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Tiny
Speed: 4
Vision: Low light

Languages: Common, Elven
Beastly Run When you have at least one free hand, add 3 to your speed.
Fast crawl You can crawl at your full speed.
Dismantle You have a +5 bonus to Thievery checks to disarm or delay traps.
Gremlin Grapple You gain Gremlin Grapple as an at-will power

Gremlin Grapple
At-Will*Weapon Melee weapon
Strandard action Melee touch
Target: One Creature
Attack: Strength vs Reflex, Constitution vs Reflex, or Dexterity vs Reflex,
Hit: The target is grabbed. You and every ally adjacent to the target gain combat advantage over the target (until escape).
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power

Heroic Feat
Greater Grappler
Prerequisite: Gremlin, gremlin grapple
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to your defenses when an enemy attempts to escape your grab.

Paragon feat
Destoy Constructs
Prerequisite: Gremlin
Benefit: When you hit a contruct when you have combat advantage, you deal an additional 1d10 damage.

Gralamin
2009-06-05, 04:16 PM
I'd make the following changes:
A Tiny Creature cannot use two-handed or versatile weapons of the normal size.
A Tiny creature may use a versatile with the small keyword, but otherwise must wield a normal weapon with both hands unless it has the off hand property, in which case it can use the weapon as if it was one-handed.

Note that currently only the Shortbow has the small keyword, so the change is very little, but in future supplements / homebrew might be substantial.

Overall your race looks good though.

Yakk
2009-06-05, 04:56 PM
Gremlin Grapple needs a bonus to hit at paragon and epic tiers.

+2 at paragon and +4 at epic. Free of charge. This makes up for the lack of implement or weapon enchantment bonus to-hit.

Plus, your Greater Grappler should grant a +1 to hit at Heroic, +2 at level 15 and +3 at level 25 (to mirror Expertise feats). Charging a full feat to get that to-hit bonus would be too mean.

TheGrimace
2009-06-05, 09:57 PM
I'm very glad to see someone giving gremlins some love, I have integrated them into my homebrew system, and I couldn't find any source to draw inspiration from.

Beastly Run: Really brings a clear image to mind, but that image is distinctly goblin. Of course I see Heroes of Might and Magic gremlins, which are like little trolls.

Dismantle: I really like this idea. No other race (that I know of) gets a +5 to any skill, but most get +2 to two skills, and this is really only like half of thievery, so while it stands out as something against the grain, that isn't necessarily a problem.

Orzel
2009-06-06, 08:16 AM
Gremlin Grapple needs a bonus to hit at paragon and epic tiers.

+2 at paragon and +4 at epic. Free of charge. This makes up for the lack of implement or weapon enchantment bonus to-hit.

Plus, your Greater Grappler should grant a +1 to hit at Heroic, +2 at level 15 and +3 at level 25 (to mirror Expertise feats). Charging a full feat to get that to-hit bonus would be too mean.

No additional bonus are needed
Grapple escapes use your defenses and Gremlins grapple via their racial (which is fixed to Ability+Weapon vs Ref).

Yakk
2009-06-06, 08:55 AM
Ooops -- I could have sworn it didn't say weapon. In fact, you edited it this morning, so I believe it didn't say weapon when I made my post.

And speaking of which, why does it say weapon? You are grappling, not hitting someone with a sword. And why would grappling someone while using a longsword be easier than grappling someone while using a scimitar?

Orzel
2009-06-06, 10:23 AM
I did say I fixed it. Sorry if I didn't make it more clear.

I added Weapon (well it was supposed to be there originally but I boiled bad copypasta) because Gremlin Grapple is a combat grapple. You swing your sword to open their legs then latch on like a vise and climb up. I couldn't add damage to preserve balance. It's not a natural attack like the drow or dragonborn or is it the basic "grab your shirt" grab. It's more punch into grapple.

I'm working on imps and pseudodragons with speech/telepathy rituals on them.

Yakk
2009-06-06, 11:23 AM
It cripples non-weapon using Gremlins. But it is your race!

Orzel
2009-06-06, 11:57 AM
It cripples non-weapon using Gremlins. But it is your race!

That's why it targets Ref.
Ability+Weapon vs Ref should be an easy hit. With a back up weapon that is down a few levels (+2 instead of +4) you it should be even.

The power is really to replace the inabilty to flank or grab most of the time. It provides easy CA to play a rogue or fighter.
Gremlin wizards/warlocks won't be so close. The wizard can even use the Greater Grappler feat to boost Hand spells.