PDA

View Full Version : Samurai 7 series

BHodges3
2009-06-05, 04:41 PM
Just picked up this anime series based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai film. Haven't opened it yet and was curious if I made a horrible mistake. Has anyone seen it? Obviously it is a loose translation of the original masterpiece, but is it closer to abomination? Would hate to break the shrink-wrap if the general consensus is "You actually paid money for that?!"

BTW, thanks for making my first day as an actual poster a painless one.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-05, 05:47 PM
I've seen at least one episode. Didn't seem worth watching to me. Might have gotten better later on.

TheThan
2009-06-05, 05:56 PM
I really liked it. Think seven samurai with giant robots. The plot itself is almost unchanged form the film, however it is a bit grander in scale.

Criticism:
There is a spot in the show where the animation totally changes; it goes from nice traditional animation and CG to just plain trippy. Its like they hired totally new animators and they were really freaking high.

Fri
2009-06-05, 08:32 PM
My complain is, they made the samurai too strong.

In the original and the magnificent seven movie, it's seven hero (and the villagers) vs 40 bandits. And it was a tough fight. Many of them die.

Now, it's vs 40 legion of bandits. Each legion got, like maybe dozens or hundreds of mook.

7 vs 40 was a tough fight, but still winnable. 7 vs 4000? not so much.

But still, it's a mech show. in mech show, the protagonist blast hundreds or thousands of mook, I guess.

Verruckt
2009-06-05, 08:59 PM
I liked it.

I also may have teared up a bit at the end...

just a little...

Kikuchiyoooooooo *sniffle*

averagejoe
2009-06-05, 09:29 PM
I am actually in the middle of it right now, and have quite enjoyed it. It has a nice aesthetic, and retells a story that never seems to be bad no matter how often it's retold or who retells it.

Fri
2009-06-05, 09:39 PM
It got retooled as western, IN SPACE, as mechs, any idea what else :smallbiggrin:?

I was going to make a fanfiction of Ragnarok Online version, back then, when I was still playing it. Never realized though, since I got too many project.

chiasaur11
2009-06-05, 09:56 PM
It got retooled as western, IN SPACE, as mechs, any idea what else :smallbiggrin:?

I was going to make a fanfiction of Ragnarok Online version, back then, when I was still playing it. Never realized though, since I got too many project.

Zombies, RomCom, and Bollywood musical haven't been done, have they?

What about Kung Fu? I mean modernish kung fu flicks. Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, that kind of thing.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-05, 11:30 PM
Lies! Don't break the shrink wrap. I watched this many years back in a university anime club and remember being very underwhelmed by it.

Generally, I loathe GONZO productions and anything that they touch. As their art is so insipid as to make even the most uninspired wannabe anime-artist blush. Their writing always seems to fall just on this side of predictable.

Sure, their Count of Monte Cristo adaptation seemed nice. Then they made Glass Fleet, Trinity Blood and Last Exile. If it doesn't involve a direct adaptation of some other work, scheming nobles, airships (or airships as spaceships)or some anachronistic combination of the three; GONZO is pretty suck. Come to think of it, it's pretty suck even when they have those things.

Samurai 7 doesn't seem to be a particular exception since it's really just a retooling of another classic. And there's only so many times GONZO can do this before it's clear that they're only a one-trick pony.

Nevrmore
2009-06-05, 11:32 PM
Think seven samurai with giant robots.

I really liked it.

Does not compute.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-05, 11:35 PM
Lies! Don't break the shrink wrap. I watched this many years back in a university anime club and remember being very underwhelmed by it.

Generally, I loathe GONZO productions and anything that they touch. As their art is so insipid as to make even the most uninspired wannabe anime-artist blush. Their writing always seems to fall just on this side of predictable.

Sure, their Count of Monte Cristo adaptation seemed nice. Then they made Glass Fleet, Trinity Blood and Last Exile. If it doesn't involve a direct adaptation of some other work, scheming nobles, airships (or airships as spaceships) or some combination of the three, GONZO is pretty suck.

Samurai 7 doesn't seem to be a particular exception since it's really just a retooling of another classic. And there's only so many times GONZO can do this before it's clear that they're only a one-trick pony.

Cleary Gonzo did something to you in your past....

All joking aside, the show is pretty good. Though I disagree with the above. Gonzo turns pretty much anything they touch into visual gold. Heck the water in Origions: Spirits of the Past was dang near 100% realistic.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-05, 11:40 PM
Cleary Gonzo did something to you in your past....

All joking aside, the show is pretty good. Though I disagree with the above. Gonzo turns pretty much anything they touch into visual gold. Heck the water in Origions: Spirits of the Past was dang near 100% realistic.
No, I really do hate GONZO because their work is so uninspiring. It's like a bunch of Japanese people are cribbing off of American imitators of manga/anime -- it's rather sad. If all they've got going for them is that they made some water look nice, then seriously.

They have animators/artists who seem inept and uninspired. And I've never seen anything close to a half-hearted attempt to make their use of CG actually blend.

If their stories don't involve the aforementioned scheming nobles with airships (in space! with robots!) then their merit derives entirely from adaptation work (e.g. Full Metal Panic, Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden etcetera) or reinterpretations of previous works (e.g. Gankutsuo and Samurai 7).

Anything that GONZO makes that doesn't fall under these categories are pure suck (e.g. Explosive Angels, Bakeretsu Tenshi or something to that effect). Those that do fall under these categories are simply mediocre.

Only their Conte of Monte Cristo adapt really interested me. Last Exile, their lauded masterpiece, was just barely enjoyable to me and fell short due to execution of their concept. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about.

I could give you a full-on rant about how BONES seems to suck at writing, but at least their art design, fluid animations and use of setting is usually nothing short of amazing.

Belobog
2009-06-05, 11:47 PM
It's one of those shows that most either love or love to hate. If you're that worried about how you'll react to it, search an episode or two on Youtube, and watch through 'em. If you don't like it, take it back; if you do, break the shrink wrap. Just don't expect your friends to share your opinion, it seems to be kind of polarizing.

Personally, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy it.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-05, 11:48 PM
It's one of those shows that most either love or love to hate. If you're that worried about how you'll react to it, search an episode or two on Youtube, and watch through 'em. If you don't like it, take it back; if you do, break the shrink wrap. Just don't expect your friends to share your opinion, it seems to be kind of polarizing.

Personally, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't buy it.
It's rather quite simper than that. If you think GONZO can do no wrong, then my opinion falls on deaf ears. If you can kind of see the point I'm making, it's probably not for you.

Simply, if you've seen it all before and wouldn't be thrilled to see more of the same then lay off of Samurai 7.

averagejoe
2009-06-05, 11:58 PM
No, I really do hate GONZO because their work is so uninspiring. It's like a bunch of Japanese people are cribbing off of American imitators of manga/anime -- it's rather sad. If all they've got going for them is that they made some water look nice, then seriously.

They have animators/artists who seem inept and uninspired. And I've never seen anything close to a half-hearted attempt to make their use of CG actually blend.

If their stories don't involve the aforementioned scheming nobles with airships (in space! with robots!) then their merit derives entirely from adaptation work (e.g. Full Metal Panic, Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden etcetera) or reinterpretations of previous works (e.g. Gankutsuo and Samurai 7).

Anything that GONZO makes that doesn't fall under these categories are pure suck (e.g. Explosive Angels, Bakeretsu Tenshi or something to that effect). Those that do fall under these categories are simply mediocre.

Only their Conte of Monte Cristo adapt really interested me. Last Exile, their lauded masterpiece, was just barely enjoyable to me and fell short due to execution of their concept. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about.

I could give you a full-on rant about how BONES seems to suck at writing, but at least their art design, fluid animations and use of setting is usually nothing short of amazing.

But what does any of that have to do with the quality of the show in question? I mean, I've disliked some of the shows you've mentioned (i.e. the ones which I've seen) but I had no idea that they were even made by the same company. Why not judge each one on its own merits?

I mean, it's a good reason not to try out new things from that studio, but it doesn't answer the question, "Is Samurai 7 any good?"

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-06, 12:15 AM
But what does any of that have to do with the quality of the show in question? I mean, I've disliked some of the shows you've mentioned (i.e. the ones which I've seen) but I had no idea that they were even made by the same company. Why not judge each one on its own merits?

I mean, it's a good reason not to try out new things from that studio, but it doesn't answer the question, "Is Samurai 7 any good?"
No. My entire point is that Samurai 7 follows the bad precedent set by other shows of their ilk. It's like an inferior Gankutsuou and not even the GONZO love child that was Last Exile.

I don't know how many ways I can restate it:
The problem with Samurai 7 is that we're all here to see a creative retelling of an old classic right? The way GONZO sets about doing these things is to rehash their favorite story elements while simultaneously piling-on the usual anime-themed anachronisms. It's bedecking a hooker in a lot of Christmas ornaments and expecting the results to somehow be coherent. This trick worked once or twice when they were actually being sensible about which anachronisms fit or should stay low-key.

If I wanted to see the core-story about the oppression of peasants, suffering the company of feudal warrior-elite, I'd watch one of the Kurosawa films -- not some subpar copycat with bad CG and some rather stock anime art. I'm not sure how obvious it needs to be for the bandit to actually be a literal bandit, not some hundred-foot robot made of cardboard.

Hell, one of the themes in the movie was how gunfire so patently upset the samurai's dominance on the battlefield, marking the change technology has wrought in feudal life.

It's hard to kind of get that point across when your samurai reflects the beam from a battleship's cannon and can cut a hundred-foot robot in half with a flimsy blade of mere steel.

averagejoe
2009-06-06, 12:38 AM
No. My entire point is that Samurai 7 follows the bad precedent set by other shows of their ilk. It's like an inferior Gankutsuou and not even the GONZO love child that was Last Exile.

The problem with Samurai 7 is that we're all here to see a creative retelling of an old classic right? The way GONZO sets about doing these things is to rehash their favorite story elements while simultaneously piling-on the usual anime-themed anachronisms. It's bedecking a hooker in a lot of Christmas ornaments and expecting the results to somehow be coherent. This trick worked once or twice when they were actually being sensible about which anachronisms fit or should stay low-key.

If I wanted to see the core-story about the oppression of peasants, suffering the company of feudal warrior-elite, I'd watch one of the Kurosawa films -- not some subpar copycat with bad CG and some rather stock anime art. I'm not sure how obvious it needs to be for the bandit to actually be a literal bandit, not some hundred-foot robot made of cardboard.

Hell, one of the themes in the movie was how gunfire so patently upset the samurai's dominance on the battlefield, marking the change technology has wrought in feudal life.

It's hard to kind of get that point across when your samurai reflects the beam from a battleship's cannon and can cut a hundred-foot robot in half with a flimsy blade of mere steel.

Now, if they took a more Dune-like approach to technology, then I might've been impressed.

Well, you clearly feel much more strongly about this than I do. Heck, if I hadn't already seen stuff in this studio these rants may well have made me curious to see what could inspire such loathing.

Dragonus45
2009-06-07, 01:29 AM

To start with.

Seeing as how most casualties that come to mind were gun related i think the message comes across

The core story is there, and not diminished at all by the changes made, if anything i cried more after the deaths in the anime, and felt much more connected to the characters.

As to the giant airships it was also mentioned that only a very skilled samurai could defeat said giant battleships mainly because they could do the deflecting lasers thing. The robots get a major power boost, but in the end they lost a lot of skill.

UltraDude
2009-06-07, 08:12 AM
Well, I'll throw in that I like Last Exile, but I can see where Lurker's coming from otherwise with the GONZO dislike. Of course, I'd say that Samurai 7 might depend on how attached you are to the original film, seeing as how a lot of Lurker's complaints are "it's Seven Samurai in GONZO-land," which is a perfectly viable complaint, but doesn't apply to everyone.

I know one of my friend's likes what he's watched, and while the first episode didn't overly impress me, I can see myself at least not minding it.

Someone suggested YouTubeing it for an episode or two; sounds like a pretty good idea to be honest.

Dragonus45
2009-06-07, 02:27 PM
The first few episodes are a bit slow, but once they get a few more of the samurai together it really takes off. The videos got taken down from youtube, but i think you should be able to torrent the first few. Try it you wont regret it.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-07, 03:44 PM
Does not compute.

On the contrary - I can't think of anything that couldn't become more awesome by adding giant robots.

chiasaur11
2009-06-07, 04:21 PM
On the contrary - I can't think of anything that couldn't become more awesome by adding giant robots.

Dangit. He's right.

Remember when the FF fought giant Robostalin?

Way better than real international politics.

BHodges3
2009-06-08, 10:22 AM
It's bedecking a hooker in a lot of Christmas ornaments

Sounds awesome!!! Hehehe. Think I will see about dl'ing a few episodes based on all of the varying view points here. Thanks for the warnings! Will let you know what I decide later.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-14, 06:18 PM
To start with.

Seeing as how most casualties that come to mind were gun related i think the message comes across

The core story is there, and not diminished at all by the changes made, if anything i cried more after the deaths in the anime, and felt much more connected to the characters.

As to the giant airships it was also mentioned that only a very skilled samurai could defeat said giant battleships mainly because they could do the deflecting lasers thing. The robots get a major power boost, but in the end they lost a lot of skill.
So it works because guns still kill but the technology is sent on a arms race with DBZ level skills?

Sorry but that's not what I call "cohesive."

Furthermore, the samurai in the movie don't ever really become superhuman because of skill. They merely have the knowledge to persist and survive in a lifestyle that is all but doomed to obsolescence and isolation.

But who wants to merely compare a hack-job to what Akira Kurosawa has done. Samurai 7 is pretty bad on its own merits, without comparison, simply because they lack the aforementioned cohesion and then follow it up with some strictly middling art.

Anteros
2009-06-15, 03:18 AM
We get it. You dislike it because they took a movie you enjoyed and turned it into an anime. However, since that's completely obvious when one reads the title, I don't think it's a turning point for most of us.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-06-15, 04:38 AM
We get it. You dislike it because they took a movie you enjoyed and turned it into an anime. However, since that's completely obvious when one reads the title, I don't think it's a turning point for most of us.

Thankyou for ignoring what people say and making up their motivations for them, they really need it.

Dragonus45
2009-06-16, 05:27 PM
You got to agree though, most people just complain its a remake.