PDA

View Full Version : Great Mysteries of OOTS

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-05, 09:53 PM
There are many secrets surrounding OOTS right now, ones that we come back to over and over in the forums, some that we'll never have answers to, some that Rich has promised to reveal someday, and some that give you the feeling it will all seem incredibly obvious in retrospect.

So I'm making a list of all the big mysteries we still haven't solved yet:

1. Is V a girl, a boy, androgynous, some kind of mix, or something else entirely?
2. What is the monster in the dark?
3. What gender is V's mate?
4. What genders are V's children?

(if you are inclined to, please continue below me. This doesn't need to be a serious thread, go ahead and put down silly questions if you like. Such as)

5. Why in hell would ANYONE want to sleep with a Xykon doll? (I'm looking at you, Tsukiko.)

littlequietguy
2009-06-05, 10:03 PM
Also: How can god be omnipotent and humans have free will at the same time?

Not to mention:O-chul rocks. This isn't even a mystery in the traditional question mark sense.

Flickerdart
2009-06-05, 10:04 PM
5. Why in hell would ANYONE want to sleep with a Xykon doll? (I'm looking at you, Tsukiko.)
Tsukiko loves undead. And I mean really loves undead.

Shinizak
2009-06-05, 10:14 PM

Because it's flipping adorable!

Dagren
2009-06-05, 10:17 PM
Also: How can god be omnipotent and humans have free will at the same time?Well, D&D gods aren't omnipotent. Close, but no cigar.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-05, 10:19 PM

if you're talking about D&D gods well they aren't quite omnipotent. if you're talking about real life religion go to a different forum. we're not allowed to discuss that here.

who would win in a fight? batman or scooby doo?]

if in terms of OOTS you meant then. WHEN IS THE NEXT STRIP GOING TO COME?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!

Draz74
2009-06-05, 10:20 PM
On the more serious side (and with some minor spoiler warning from the prequel books):

6) What is Elan/Nale's last name?
7) What is Haley's secret that she was afraid she would have to tell Elan during their date?
8) Will we ever see more of a certain relative of Redcloak who survived Start of Darkness?
9) Who will betray the other first, between Xykon and Redcloak?
10) How will Belkar die (or "breathe his last breath")?
11) What kind of disaster will come upon the dwarves when Durkon returns home?
12) Did Eugene really care about his family, or not?
13) What "sides" do we not know about yet? (the roaches said (somewhere) that there were eight or nine or so ...)

... I could go on, as just about every major character has at least one mystery about his/her past and at least one about his/her future. But that's the major ones I'm curious about. I almost wrote another one about "what is Sabine's masters' plan?", but that one, at least, has recently been answered to a reasonably complete degree. Good ol' IFCC are finally real players in the game.

keybounce
2009-06-05, 10:26 PM

That's easy. Just because God can do something, doesn't mean that God does/will do something.

Maybe God knows that God has great responsibility?

littlequietguy
2009-06-05, 10:29 PM
That's easy. Just because God can do something, doesn't mean that God does/will do something.

Maybe God knows that God has great responsibility?

This joke is may be implied but...

You just shrugged off a philosophy question in favor of a oots chekovs gun.

shadzar
2009-06-05, 10:57 PM
14-Is Dead-blind-seeing-Pete's friend cleric of Loki still alive?

15-Did Crystal get raised?

16-Where did the flumphs go?

17-What is up with Haley's father?

18-Is Nale/Elan's mom a "friendly" bartender?

19-What is the Hobgoblin Supreme Leader doing now?

20-Do Banjulu and Giggles get along?

21-Will any of the puppets become gods?

22-Where did the wiener dog and their horses go?

23-Since the chief was killed will the CPPD suspect artist keep his job?

24-Will the Azure City wizard eaten by the giant eagle get raised?

25-Who got that 30gp miniature and all the rest Azure City had?

26-Will the lizardfolk ever find a lizardfolk mini to use?

27-What became of Leaky and Pompei?

28-Who kills the oracle next?

29-What ever happened to those lime green boots of speed?

30-Who beat Pete in archery in 1160 for the gold trophy?

Janmorel
2009-06-05, 11:34 PM
31. Is Belkar's whole family psychotic, or was he just a fluke?
32. Assuming that Roy remembers the stuff he learned while he was dead, will he clue Belkar in to his imminent demise once rezzed?
33. Will we ever meet Aunt Judy?

abishur
2009-06-05, 11:39 PM
On the more serious side (and with some minor spoiler warning from the prequel books):

6) What is Elan/Nale's last name?
7) What is Haley's secret that she was afraid she would have to tell Elan during their date?
8) Will we ever see more of a certain relative of Redcloak who survived Start of Darkness?
9) Who will betray the other first, between Xykon and Redcloak?
10) How will Belkar die (or "breathe his last breath")?
11) What kind of disaster will come upon the dwarves when Durkon returns home?
12) Did Eugene really care about his family, or not?
13) What "sides" do we not know about yet? (the roaches said (somewhere) that there were eight or nine or so ...)

A big AMEN on #8

I really hope that for #10 Rich doesn't pull some "it was figurative the old Belkar died and this is a brand new Belkar" but at the same time I'm kinda sad to see him go. He's so fun (he's supposed to be jolly! Why isn't he Jolly?!)

#13 The sides that I know about (I know some of these are a strech)
1) The Order of the Stick (duh, I know)
2) Team Evil
3) Redcloak (I count him seperate since he has an agenda apart from Team E.)
4) Azure City
5) The Fiends
6) Linear Guild
7-9) Maybe the countries that house the 2 remaining gates, the dwarves, or possibly the gods themselves?

Dagren
2009-06-05, 11:52 PM
I really hope that for #10 Rich doesn't pull some "it was figurative the old Belkar died and this is a brand new Belkar" but at the same time I'm kinda sad to see him go. He's so fun (he's supposed to be jolly! Why isn't he Jolly?!)Am I the only one who thinks it would be really creepy if he was? A typical jolly halfling... who also happens to be CE. Brrr...

homeosapiens
2009-06-05, 11:57 PM
He is jolly, when he makes someone hurt/insuls someone. He's jolly when he's badass. Also he is jolly when someone does sth bad. Like when haley killed Crystal.

Dagren
2009-06-06, 12:06 AM
He is jolly, when he makes someone hurt/insuls someone. He's jolly when he's badass. Also he is jolly when someone does sth bad. Like when haley killed Crystal.I suppose he is, a bit. I guess it just doesn't come across too well when you mix in that he's also a psychopath.

homeosapiens
2009-06-06, 12:33 AM
I suppose he is, a bit. I guess it just doesn't come across too well when you mix in that he's also a psychopath.

It comes across perfectly. That is why we love him. Jolly psychopath - how could anyone not like it...

Allan Surgite
2009-06-06, 04:36 AM
#13 The sides that I know about (I know some of these are a strech)
1) The Order of the Stick (duh, I know)
2) Team Evil
3) Redcloak (I count him seperate since he has an agenda apart from Team E.)
4) Azure City
5) The Fiends
6) Linear Guild
7-9) Maybe the countries that house the 2 remaining gates, the dwarves, or possibly the gods themselves?
The Roaches were only talking about people on the Evil side of the spectrum, were they not...? Or is my memory rather fudged from my time not re-reading the Team Evil strips.

Liwen
2009-06-06, 04:57 AM
Oooohhh plot irrelevant questions time!

34. What level was Fruit Pie the Sorcerer?
35. What kind of dragon did V shapechanged into anyway?
36. Who were Xykon's parents and is it their fault he is such a jerk?
37. What is Redcloak's, Xykon's and MitD true names?
38. Is there anyone around here that still has his or her proto brain set on 'lust' for Celia?
39. Will other X-men make a guest star appearance in this story, like Cyclop and Xavier did?
40. With everyone turning him into an object of worship, will O-Chul ascend to godhood when his plot relevant role in the story will be over?
41. Should 40 happen, would you be part of the religion worshiping him? I know I would...

Mystic Muse
2009-06-06, 05:45 AM
sorry. no no I would not worship o-chul. well not in real life anyways. my D&D character? is there a more BA lawful good god out there?

evileeyore
2009-06-06, 05:51 AM
What are the stats of the Fruit Pie Sorceror?

Fri
2009-06-06, 06:46 AM
#43. Will my favourite villain, Baron Pineaple make an appearance again?

Think about it. A villain from the order of the rifts' time is actually one of the sides! Maybe his descendant!

connected with that,

#44. Will the Holey Brotherhood make another appearance, since one of the rifts is already opened?

Can you say, chekov's derringer :D?

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-06, 07:19 AM

This one has Vexed philosophers for ages. I'd still rather tackle it than Vs gender.

The two best answers to the problem that I've seen are working with the definition of omnipotence/omniscience, and time travel analogy.

An omnipotent deity cannot make a rock so heavy that he can't pick it up because it isn't possible. Omnipotence is not the ability to do anything, its the ability to do anything POSSIBLE. Likewise, omniscience isn't the ability to know everything, its the ability to know everything that its possible to know. By this definition, its not possible to know the future because its not there to be known, so the omniscient deity isn't any less omniscient because they don't KNOW what will happen. 13.5 billion (or 1285 in the case of the oots verse gods) years of experience watching everything will give them a VERY good idea though.

The other solution is that your choice does not spring from the beings knowledge. The beings knowledge springs from your choice. If you were to go back in time to December 23rd, 1776 you would know that Washington was going to cross the Delaware and attack on Christmas morning. Would anything you do force Washington to attack? No. You know he will because he DECIDED that he would the first time around.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-06, 11:59 PM
The Roaches were only talking about people on the Evil side of the spectrum, were they not...? Or is my memory rather fudged from my time not re-reading the Team Evil strips.

:jirix:: But... aren't we [Redcloak/Goblins and Xykon] all on the same side?
:redcloak:: That is a good question. How many sides are there in this conflict, anyway? Three? Four? More?
:roach:: I count at least nine.
:roach:: Ssh! They're not supposed to know about some of those yet!

I did that from memory and the only one I think I got wrong was the last one. Pretty definitively NOT evil-only.

spargel
2009-06-07, 12:07 AM

Omnipotence is a paradox, so your question should end after the fifth word.

#45 Why is Belkar psychotic?

multilis
2009-06-07, 12:13 AM
Omnipotence is a paradox...
Depends on the definition. It is possible to be stronger than everyone else combined so no one can stand in your way without any "infinity".

An example, if an intelligent "computer" ran a simulation which was our "universe" (sort of like Matrix movie), that computer may have unstoppable power over all us, yet not be infinite.