PDA

View Full Version : Demilich or Worm that walks?

Volkov
2009-06-05, 11:39 PM
I'm about to end the APL 108 game, with a final duel against the Necromancer and the Evoker who has been manipulating the party from the beginning. So which of these spellcaster oriented epic level templates would be better? The Necromancer's barred schools are Evocation and Enchantment, the Evoker's Barred Schools are Conjuration and Illusion. I want to avoid going for both at once, as I'm trying to decide whether they should be servants of Vecna or Kyuss.

RTGoodman
2009-06-05, 11:45 PM
I'd go with Worm That Walks. I mean, demiliches are cool, I guess, but how often do you ever get a chance to use a Worm That Walks?

quick_comment
2009-06-05, 11:53 PM
I would go for demilich, because its really hard to actually kill the worm that walks due to its disincorporate ability. I dont know the power level of your game, but if the WtW were ever losing, it ought to do something like this.

WtW: Disincorporate. Contingent planeshift triggers, sending all the worms to a huge area on some nonlethal plane.

Froogleyboy
2009-06-05, 11:56 PM
I'd go with worm that walks. It has awesome abilities and ,really, how pimp is a WTW?

Coidzor
2009-06-06, 12:07 AM
Why not one of each? The Lich necromancer makes the evoker into a worm that walks (since you need a friend apparently, usually something or otherly) and then makes himself into a demilich.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-06, 05:18 AM
I would go for demilich, because its really hard to actually kill the worm that walks due to its disincorporate ability. I dont know the power level of your game, but if the WtW were ever losing, it ought to do something like this.

WtW: Disincorporate. Contingent planeshift triggers, sending all the worms to a huge area on some nonlethal plane.

Demilich is a whole lot more durable, immunity to Supernatural effects, Undead Immunities, huge AC, DR, SLAs, high/perfect flight, NINE FRICKIN PHYLACTERIES!

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-06, 07:25 AM
Worm that Walks, because tracking down a demilich's phylactery and soul gems should be a campaign in itself. Finding them all together right after fighting the lich is so unbelievable it's just idiot plot.

raptor1056
2009-06-06, 07:40 AM
No demilich. They are freaking impossible to kill. I had to use Gate/ Djinni wish cheese to do it in my last epic campaign, and my DM was so tired of this plot that he was OK with it. A WTW and one very high level normal lich would do the trick. Both of those are pretty pimpin', and a team of the two would be very cool. To fit the Big Pimpin' theme, in fact, the fight should take place underground, and the two undead wizards should reign over some kingdom or another. Oh, they also need to be named Bun B and Pimp C. At least a Worm that Walks is immune to sleep apnea.
I am now disgusted with myself.

appending_doom
2009-06-13, 07:41 AM
Why choose? The Chaositech book (http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Chaos) contains a template which is the chaos-infused combination of 2 corporeal creatures.

So make 2 evil spellcasters who got themselves fused together in a horrid arcane explosion.

Then go wild.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-13, 07:49 AM
Demilich is a whole lot more durable, immunity to Supernatural effects, Undead Immunities, huge AC, DR, SLAs, high/perfect flight, NINE FRICKIN PHYLACTERIES!

But with any luck, your wizard mentor has already tracked down a few of those before dying, leaving you, the intrepid young hero, to track down the remainder, one of which is actually in your own body.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-13, 07:53 AM
But with any luck, your wizard mentor has already tracked down a few of those before dying, leaving you, the intrepid young hero, to track down the remainder, one of which is actually in your own body.

"Yeah. Thanks for hunting all those down."
"No problem, I mean, dying for a minute and coming back was a neat trick, huh?"
"Oh, I guess. Too bad it didn't work out."
"What?"
"Yeah, the demi-lich's soul stayed in you. Too bad. Mind standing still for me?"

Realms of Chaos
2009-06-13, 02:30 PM
It seems to me that the Worm That Walks seems to lose its necromantic flavor, instead focusing almost exclusively on vermin.

The Demi-lich, however, sounds perfect for the necromancer. If you want to bypass the phylactery problem, install them in adamantine golems (or even advanced stone golems) and throw them into the final battle as well to make it more epic.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-13, 03:30 PM
It seems to me that the Worm That Walks seems to lose its necromantic flavor, instead focusing almost exclusively on vermin.

How's that? It seems like very archetypal necromancy - you transfer yourself into maggots.

The Demi-lich, however, sounds perfect for the necromancer. If you want to bypass the phylactery problem, install them in adamantine golems (or even advanced stone golems) and throw them into the final battle as well to make it more epic.

The lich would have to be pretty idiotic to intentionally risk objects that are, by definition, supposed to be hidden and protected so they never come to harm.

Mewtarthio
2009-06-13, 05:21 PM
Well, doesn't the demilich need his soul gems with him to use his soul-eating power? Maybe you could have the finale take place as it's finishing up some epic ritual that requires a ton of soul power, so he's got all his gems filled and present to fuel the magic.

That being said, you should still use the Worm That Walks, because it is awesome.