PDA

View Full Version : You Learn Something New Every Day

Serpentine
2009-06-05, 11:58 PM
If you haven't yet, and it's 11.55pm, you'd better get yourself onto Wikipedia!

So, what did you learn today?

I learnt that "kobera" (not sure about the spelling, but it sounded like "cobra" with an extra syllable) is Ugandan for "bag". My library colleagues and I were rather confused when an African man asked for "a cobra for my books". We eventually figured out that it was a bag he was after, and because I was worried he might've thought we were making fun of him (especially when one of my colleagues started saying "cobra! Cobra!" and laughing as he went out the door) and I'd finished work, I caught up with him and clarified it.
So, if ever you go to Uganda and need a bag: "kobera".

Ash08
2009-06-06, 12:00 AM
I finally got around to checking the departments that the shirt colors represents in Star Trek, next Generation(been meaning to do that FOREVER) I'm rather annoyed that Operations people work on the bridge and that secuirity counts as Operations... it doesn;t seem right... but it's still learning!

Icewalker
2009-06-06, 12:30 AM
There's something I started a while ago, although haven't technically fully started yet. I just refer to it as Learning: spending one hour, every day, learning something, separate from schoolwork or whatever else.

(Most specifically, something I wouldn't have went and done without having started this. For example, I will count various texts as learning, either scientific or mythological or whatever, but if I had already intended to read it before starting this, then it doesn't count towards my hour for the day.)

Anyways, I haven't started it with the 'once per day, no exceptions' consistency which I intend to, and I have a specific point in time at which I know I will start. The basic overall idea is the expenditure of spending roughly 4% of my total time learning.

So far I've just been doing it when I have the available time. I will study almost anything for this, including skills such as juggling or music. I also keep a VERY precise record, including dates.

Some things I've done so far, labeled as they are in my list:

I have three sections. Science, History, and Skills. This first categorization isn't labeled on the grounds that it is intuitive. All the other categorizations are, though.

Ancient China: Warfare: The Art of War
Ambidexterity
Mayan Empire: Mythology: Popol Vuh
Chess Strategy/Tactics
Transhumanism: Nootropics
Astrophysics: Black Holes
Scandinavia: Norse Mythology
Scandinavia: Norse Mythology: Prose Edda
Ancient Greece: Warfare
Neuroscience: Psychology: Psychological Disorders
Music: Piano
Parkour

That's just a sample. I have a total of 42 hours recorded, the first on February 26th. So, 42 hours recorded over a period of 99 days. A little under 50%, due to various busyness, not to mention finals (I only have one entry for the last 16 days, sadly). I'll pick it up again consistently during the summer, and hopefully that point of definitive shift will arrive sooner rather than later.

(Actually, on the anniversary of this starting point, I intend to do a 24 hour full learning each year, getting 24 hour-long entries over the course of a solid day, nonstop.)

LightWraith
2009-06-06, 12:46 AM
That's a pretty good idea Icewalker... I might have to steal it. I do like learning new things.

Pyrian
2009-06-06, 12:46 AM
Today I learned that if a banana is left in a plastic bag long enough, mold can actually grow straight through the plastic. :smalleek:

Yarram
2009-06-06, 02:25 AM
I learned that Ed Wilson is a shonky music arranger.

snoopy13a
2009-06-06, 03:19 AM
I learned that bars that feature dueling pianos are fun. Also, a cute cocktail waitress danced with me :smalltongue:

Vizen
2009-06-06, 03:35 AM
I learn't that one of my supervisors at work (Male one) asked out another one of my supervisors (Female one) a year or so ago. Female one had a boyfriend already.

Awwwwwkward turtle.

...Sorry, a lot of the things I learn every day has to do with gossip. :smallredface:

raitalin
2009-06-06, 06:39 PM
I learn lots of new things everyday, addicted as I am to The Teaching Company's recorded lectures.

However the most fascinating thing I've learned recently was that wombat poop is square, which lead to a long research session on wombats.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-07, 12:36 AM
I learned that for a period of two months, the Canadian Province of Manitoba had no laws.

Vuzzmop
2009-06-07, 01:01 AM
I learned that "Cats" (The musical), was based on a series of poems by T.S. Eliot.
Cats came to Auckland this week. It kicked various ass-kinds.

Vizen
2009-06-07, 02:16 AM
However the most fascinating thing I've learned recently was that wombat poop is square, which lead to a long research session on wombats.

That....Is really, really weird.

I learned that "Cats" (The musical), was based on a series of poems by T.S. Eliot.
Cats came to Auckland this week. It kicked various ass-kinds.

Is it still around? It's my day off on Tuesday and I should drag my girlfriend along to see it. If its good that is. Is it good?

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 02:35 AM
I learned that "Cats" (The musical), was based on a series of poems by T.S. Eliot.I have that book somewhere (though it's so old it's missing some pages). I learnt that not long ago, because of this (http://candra.deviantart.com/gallery/#Fanart-CATS) person's work (or, more accurately, because of the comments on their work).

arguskos
2009-06-07, 02:50 AM
I learned what it feels like to have pure, straight-up, undiluted FUN, something that hasn't happened in so long I no longer remembered what it was like. It's not book learnin', but it's a valuable thing to know.

Mordokai
2009-06-07, 02:59 AM
That's a pretty good idea Icewalker... I might have to steal it. I do like learning new things.

I know it would do me much good.

As for learning... what have I learned, really? I look back and can't remember a single thing. Quite alarming, really.

Maybe one thing. Spending Friday night at a bar, drinking beer and playing poker with your buddies is much better way to spend a night than be at home, chatting with people on IM, even if it means you end up loosing a little money.

No offense intended. I mean, you guys and gals are great and everything, but there's something different when talking to people I know for almost a lifetime.

Coidzor
2009-06-07, 03:20 AM
^: I think very, very, very few people would dispute that. I don't really see this as a first-choice friday night either. I'm geographically isolated enough that it's a reality that I'll probably be making an appearance though...x.x

I learned that I'm a much more sentimental than I had ever believed.

Then I learned that my brother's cat had given birth to four kittens.

Then I learned (rather, re-learned) that some grocery stores carry wine in them.

Ganurath
2009-06-07, 03:20 AM
I learned the best opportunity to turn a Path of Enlightment to Knights Templar is to introduce Omnicidal Maniacs to the equation. Thanks, Tadeusz!

Lord_Gareth
2009-06-07, 03:29 AM
I learned that the arts and crafts forum is dead sexy. Giggity.

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 03:44 AM
I learnt that there are some very nice, considerate people in my town :smallsmile:
...and that it's bloody scary when someone knocks on your door and says "a pretty grey little cat just got run over", and you can't see your pretty grey little cat :smalleek:
(it wasn't mine, thank goodness, but it was still scary and sad and nice of the people to come ask)

TheThan
2009-06-07, 03:52 AM
I finally got around to checking the departments that the shirt colors represents in Star Trek, next Generation(been meaning to do that FOREVER) I'm rather annoyed that Operations people work on the bridge and that secuirity counts as Operations... it doesn;t seem right... but it's still learning!

I was sort of disappointed when security wasn’t red. So no more read shirted mooks. :smallfrown:

(I guessed it's Ok though Worf looks terrible in red.)

Matticus
2009-06-07, 04:08 AM
I learned the best opportunity to turn a Path of Enlightment to Knights Templar is to introduce Omnicidal Maniacs to the equation. Thanks, Tadeusz!

...Well, you're welcome.

Wait, are you attacking me? :smallconfused:

Today I learned that it's an awful lot harder to win a war than I expected, particularly when you're outnumbered and outgunned against the second strongest player on your server. :smallamused:

H. Zee
2009-06-07, 05:24 AM
I learnt what a "tube sock" is. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 07:41 AM
Just then, I learnt how to do something in Illustrator I've wanted it to do for ages. I get those moments a lot...
(in case you're interested, it's an easier way to cut bits out of objects)

GolemsVoice
2009-06-07, 07:45 AM
I learned, that, if you look hard enough, there's political party for EVERYTHING. I also hope to learn that this comment does not earn me an infraction :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-06-08, 10:08 PM
Today I spent two hours learning on Alchemy (which I cataloged under History of Science). Interesting stuff, that. Turns out, in my basic beliefs, I pursue the principles of alchemy.

Also, quite a number of ancient Chinese emperors died drinking crazy mixtures meant to give them eternal life. They tended to include things like sulfur and powdered jade. :smallyuk:

The first hour was spent on research. The second hour was spent trying to use my now barely remembered skills of geometry to try to solve the squaring the circle problem...