PDA

View Full Version : The Guardian, a Martial base class

ilovefire
2006-01-14, 08:39 PM
well, I figured that while fighters make excellent meatshields, something that is truely specializng in being such could be more efficeint. So, in a fit of genius (or perhaps madness), i brewed this concoction. whatcha think? is it broken?

Guardian, Version One

Warriors can take many paths. Some become fighters, mastering weapons, other become rangers, living as one with the wilds. Some choose to become righteous paladins, or savage barbarians. For some, however, none of those paths work. Those who have a defensive mindset take up the path of the Guardian, a defender of the weak, and protector of the small. Those who are Guardians focus almost completely on defense, and many also master polearms, as these weapons are excellent for defending against mounted cavalry.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12
Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: The Guardian is proficient with all simple weapons, glaives, guisiarmes, halberds, ransuers, bolas, nets, all armor, and all shields (including tower shields).
BAB progression: As Cleric
Save Progression: As Fighter
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Survival, Swim
Skills points per level: 2 + INT modifier
Skill points at first level: (2 + INT modifier) x4

Lvl 1: Defensive Position, Bonus Feat (Combat Expertise or Dodge), Slow Movement
Lvl 2:
Lvl 3: Cover Ally, +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Improved Initiative, Improved Shield Bash)
Lvl 4:
Lvl 5: Damage resistance 1/-
Lvl 6: +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Endurance, Great Fortitude)
Lvl 7:
Lvl 8: Damage Resistance 2/-
Lvl 9: +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Diehard, Improved Toughness)
Lvl 10: Defensive Strike
Lvl 11: DR 3/-
Lvl 12: +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Self-Sufficient, Quick Draw)
Lvl 13: Hold The Line
Lvl 14: DR 4/-
Lvl 15: +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Improved Buckler Defense, Improved Combat Expertise)
Lvl 16:
Lvl 17: DR 5/-
Lvl 18: +1 AC, Bonus Feat (Shield Charge, Phalanx Fighting)
Lvl 19:
Lvl 20: Perfect Defense, DR 6/-

Defensive Position: The Guardian may spend a move action to make his position more defensible, giving him and anyone else that stands in that square a +2 bonus to AC.

Bonus Feat: At level one, three, and every three levels after that (6, 9, 12, 15, 18), the Guardian may select from two feats, as labeled in the above chart.

Slow Movement: The guardian, while a master of defense, is unfortunately slower than many of his peers. He always moves as if wearing heavy armor, and if he wears medium or heavier armor, his speed is reduced further by 5 feet per round.

Cover Ally: If a Guardian is standing next to an ally, they may cover the ally, taking half of any damage that the ally receives, and increasing the ally’s AC by 1.

AC bonus: At every level, except level one, that the Guardian gains a bonus feat, they receive a +1 competence bonus to their AC.

Damage resistance: At level five, the guardian gains DR 1/-. It increases by one every three levels after.

Defensive Strike: When fighting defensively, a Guardian of level ten or higher only takes a -2 to attack rolls instead of -4.

Hold The Line: As the feat from Complete Warrior.

Perfect Defense: At level twenty, a Guardian gains a +2 bonus to his AC, and the AC of any allies within ten feat of himself, whenever he fights defensively, covers an ally, or uses the total defense maneuver.

Maryring
2006-01-14, 08:49 PM
Seems pretty good. But change it from any lawful to any good me thinks.

UnrealTiger
2006-01-14, 09:08 PM
Why should it even have a alignment restriction anyhow? And if so it should just be any non-chaotic or any non-evil or some such.

Darkie
2006-01-14, 09:13 PM
I don't think there should be any alignment restrictions...

If anything, I can picture a unit of elite Hobgoblin guards for their shaman or something...

ilovefire
2006-01-14, 09:16 PM
Hmm, true. but like I said, it was either a fit of genius or madness. or both. no more alignment requirements!

SpiderBrigade
2006-01-15, 03:10 AM
You might want to check out the Devoted Defender class from (I think?) Sword and Fist. It's one of the ones I sorely miss in the 3.5 update, because the abilities are really really cool. Every evil caster should have one of these as a cohort!

Edit: looking over the class again, ANYONE would want one of these as a cohort (if they met the level requirements). Maybe that's why they didn't keep it for 3.5...

That Lanky Bugger
2006-01-15, 03:26 AM
Been dipping into some classic Vandal Hearts, have we? ;)

I like it, but it does seem a bit weak because of the BAB progression. If I were the DM in a campaign and my player brought this to me, I'd be inclined to bump the HD up to a d12.

ilovefire
2006-01-15, 02:14 PM
hmm, allright. I was worried that it it might be broken if I gave it full BAB or d12 HD. and since it's a very... defensive class, then I'll bump the HD up to d12. any other things? think i should switch some of the bonus feats out?

brummeren
2006-01-15, 02:21 PM
Just glanced at it, but there are some things to consider:
-What about spreading the abilities more evenly among the levels? Some of them are quite dead.

-The Defensive Stance ability is quite nice, but what is the duration? Can i use it, then i move?

Corestimah
2006-01-15, 11:53 PM
I have had similar ideas, but they are usually far more broken than this, with all good saves, DR X/- (X= half class level), SR 15 + Class level, energy resistance, LOTS of immunities, etc...
I don't think this is broken at all, might actually be a bit weak; specifically, I would beef up the Defensive Position, Cover Ally, DR, and AC bonus.
Look around for prestige classes that grant similar abilities. (Perhaps the Defensive Stance of Dwarven Defenders?)
Otherwise, good class ;)

Nasrudith
2006-01-16, 12:12 AM
Just one pet peave. The slow movement, they move slower with medium armor on them then wearing heavy armor? That defies laws of physics, even for D&D!

laughingfuzzball
2006-01-16, 12:18 AM
Just one pet peave. The slow movement, they move slower with medium armor on them then wearing heavy armor? That defies laws of physics, even for D&D!

The penalty applies if wearing medium or heavier armor.

Ayana
2006-01-16, 05:34 AM
I think most features of this class need to be limited to only work when in medium or heavy armor. As it is it's even more beneficial for a character based on avoidance ACs and light/no armor than for one that uses heavy armors.

squishycube
2006-01-16, 06:52 AM
This is even better as a wizards cohort then a regular fighter!

ilovefire
2006-01-16, 04:19 PM
Defensive Position is a move action, sorry, i worded it wierd. And all of those points are very good... so, because I don't feel like editing the first post, i'll stick stick version two here. :P

Guardian, Version Two

Warriors can take many paths. Some become fighters, mastering weapons, other become rangers, living as one with the wilds. Some choose to become righteous paladins, or savage barbarians. For some, however, none of those paths work. Those who have a defensive mindset take up the path of the Guardian, a defender of the weak, and protector of the small. Those who are Guardians focus almost completely on defense, and many also master polearms, as these weapons are excellent for defending against mounted cavalry.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12
Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: The Guardian is proficient with all simple weapons, glaives, guisiarmes, halberds, ransuers, bolas, nets, all armor, and all shields (including tower shields).
BAB progression: As Cleric
Save Progression: As Fighter
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Survival, Swim
Skills points per level: 2 + INT modifier
Skill points at first level: (2 + INT modifier) x4

Lvl 1: Defensive Position, Bonus Feat (Combat Expertise or Dodge), Slow Movement
Lvl 2:
Lvl 3: Cover Ally, +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Improved Initiative, Improved Shield Bash)
Lvl 4:
Lvl 5: Damage resistance 1/-
Lvl 6: +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Endurance, Great Fortitude)
Lvl 7:
Lvl 8: Damage Resistance 2/-
Lvl 9: +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Diehard, Improved Toughness)
Lvl 10: Defensive Strike
Lvl 11: DR 3/-
Lvl 12: +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Self-Sufficient, Quick Draw)
Lvl 13: Hold The Line
Lvl 14: DR 4/-
Lvl 15: +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Improved Buckler Defense, Improved Combat Expertise)
Lvl 16:
Lvl 17: DR 5/-
Lvl 18: +2 AC, Bonus Feat (Shield Charge, Phalanx Fighting)
Lvl 19:
Lvl 20: Perfect Defense, DR 6/-

All special abilities and bonus feats gained from this class only work while wearing medium or heavy armor.

Defensive Position: The Guardian may spend a move action making his position more defensible, giving him and anyone else that stands in that square a +5 bonus to AC.

Bonus Feat: At level one, three, and every three levels after that (6, 9, 12, 15, 18), the Guardian may select from two feats, as labeled in the above chart.

Slow Movement: The guardian, while a master of defense, is unfortunately slower than many of his peers. He always moves as if wearing heavy armor, and if he wears medium or heavier armor, his speed is reduced further by 5 feet per round.

Cover Ally: If a Guardian is standing next to an ally, they may cover the ally, taking half of any damage that the ally receives, and increasing the ally’s AC by 5.

AC bonus: At every level, except level one, that the Guardian gains a bonus feat, they receive a +2 competence bonus to their AC.

Damage resistance: At level five, the guardian gains DR 1/-. It increases by one every three levels after.

Defensive Strike: When fighting defensively, a Guardian of level ten or higher only takes a -2 to attack rolls instead of -4.

Hold The Line: As the feat from Complete Warrior.

Perfect Defense: At level twenty, a Guardian gains a +5 bonus to his AC, and the AC of any allies within ten feat of himself, whenever he fights defensively, covers an ally, or uses the total defense maneuver.

Corestimah
2006-02-04, 10:24 PM
Nice. Two thoughts though: instead of the slow movement feature, what about something that lets you ignore movement penalties from armor, like a dwarf? (You might need to bump up the level that you gain the ability at to balance it.) I believe that learning how to move at full speed in armor makes more sense thematically than inexplicably being slower than most members of your race.
Also, as I wrote earlier, I recommend replacing the Defensive Position ability with the defensive stance of Dwarven Defenders (or a weaker version of it), as your ability is still a bit overpowered.

Rykaj
2006-02-05, 12:19 AM
I think you should keep the slow movement, other wise you risk it becoming just a dip class. d12 hps, +5AC and combat expertise? I'd take it

Sulecrist
2006-02-05, 01:11 AM
Everything seems relatively well balanced to me except the +AC progression. +22 AC at level 20 while defensive? TWENTY-TWO. Suddenly, you're making dragons look like neatly highlighted barns.

This would be even sicker in the WoW rules, with Counterattack and such.

Seriously, nerf the +AC to one a pop, and maybe 3 for the first and last abilities. If you do that I think it'll be okay. And maybe work on the Slow Movement thing (making him always move 20ft sort of makes sense to me, even if it does encourage people to make Halfling, Gnome or Uldra Guardians.)

ilovefire
2006-02-05, 01:20 AM
actually, then they'd move 15 feet per round in light or no armor, 10 with medium or heavier. It's not like the Fast Movement of the barb. and yeah, i'll think over the AC progression some.