PDA

View Full Version : [4.0] Community aid needed for the writing of a balanced class.

Lestrahl
2009-06-06, 04:56 AM
Erm, Hello, I'm a bit new here. I'm making this thread in hopes to make a well-balanced class for the fourth edition of Dungeons and Dragons of the Sauceror class from the ever popular MMOR... something or another. I'm not good with these acronyms, okay? Ah, okay, yeah it's one of those spiffy internet games I play.

The thing I'm looking for is just your thoughts and ideas on how one would go about creating balanced powers, abilities and such. For an idea of the flavor (teeny-tiny pun there) here is the in-game description of the class.

Long engaged in an uneasy truce with the Pastamancers, the guild of Saucerors protects the secrets of the Ancient Brotherhood of Gravymakers. Their Mysticality is their most important attribute.

Okay, mechanic-wise, it's a class that functions by washing the lands in torrential waves of Mystical "sauce" (which has been likened to a delicious style of the "force"). They also receive the power to buff with "Saucespheres" or bubbles of protective sauces.

That enough of a challenge for ya? I'll be looking forward to the support.

~Lestrahl III

P.S. For those who want to know, here's a wiki-esqe page about them.
Sauceror (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Sauceror)

Vadin
2009-06-06, 11:43 AM
No need to be sheepish about playing MMORPGs or Kingdom of Loathing in particular. It's a fun game.

Sounds like a hybrid leader/controller. Look at the bard, cleric, and wizard for ideas of what kind of powers would be appropriate.

Hopefully others with more knowledge of 4e class-building can help you more.

Lestrahl
2009-06-06, 02:39 PM
Okay then, so we are lookin' at something like...

Sauceror
CLASS TRAITS
Role: Leader Controller.
Key Abilities: Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity
Implements: Cookbooks, Saucepans

As far as implements go, I've been planning out the basic Cookbook, "Kickback Cookbook", "Codex of Capsaicin Conjuration" and the "Gazpacho's Glacial Grimoire" all of which are from in-game. If someone here had a Template for posting magical items, that would be greatly appreciated.

Vadin
2009-06-06, 04:33 PM
Weapon Name, Weapon Category (Simple/Military/Superior Ranged/Melee)
Proficiency: +bonus
Damage: 1dX
Price: Y gp
Weight: Z lb.
Group: Weapon Group
Properties: Weapon Properties

Laser Field Level 3+, 600 gp
Weapon: Any melee or thrown weapon that doesn't deal energy damage
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1[W] per plus
Power (At-Will ✦ Weapon): Standard action. Until the end of the encounter or the effect is dismissed, half of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 13: The effect is activated with a minor action.
Level 18: The effect is activated with a minor action, but if a standard action is used, all of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 23: The effect can be activated automatically at the beginning of a battle or later as a minor action, but if a standard action is used, all of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 28: The effect can be activated automatically at the beginning of a battle or later as a minor action, and all of the damage the weapon deals can be energy damage if the user chooses.

Copypasta'd from a thread I made awhile ago.

Lestrahl
2009-06-06, 05:03 PM
Okay, how about implements?

Limos
2009-06-06, 05:17 PM
I would say to give them a choice between two implements

The Mixing Fork of Smiting

and

The Sauce Ladle of Protection

the Mixing fork would give a slant towards more Controller type powers and bonuses. The Ladle is more focused on those Saucesphere things you mentioned. Possible the Mixing Fork would allow you to extend the size of a burst or blast by 1 once per encounter. The ladle would give you one additional uses of your Saucesphere power.

Some of your attacking powers would gain additional damage from using the mixing fork, and others would let you give a buff to an ally if you are using the sauce ladle.

Lestrahl
2009-06-06, 05:42 PM
Good idea Limos, but I already kinda ninja'd you with post number three. I like the idea of the different implements (Cookbooks and Saucepans) doing different effects. Could this work as a class feature like the Wizard's implement mastery?

From the source, cookbooks altered the spell's make-up, changing the temperature drastically to deal either hot or cold damage and to add spell damage. The Saucepans also granted bonuses to stats and spell damage, but where more... weapon-y.