View Full Version : OOTS #659 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2009-06-06, 06:20 AM
New comic is up.

Snowyowl
2009-06-06, 06:21 AM
Oh WOW!
That was comic genius. I did not see that coming at all.
I love this comic...

oball
2009-06-06, 06:22 AM
That last panel is just wonderful. Shows us that despite all s/he's been through, it's still the same old V.

Myrdhale
He... Heheheh.... Oh V, You and your runes.:smallamused:

Saph
Awesome. Again. :)

I did not see that one coming. Perfect climax.

- Saph

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:23 AM
YES! Perfect, V, perfect! :smallbiggrin:

I wonder why Blackwing *is* just hovering there, though. :smallconfused:

Alaba Blackveil
2009-06-06, 06:24 AM
Fantastic Strip :)

BisectedBrioche
It just goes to show, old running gags still work.

BTW, is it me of did V's familiar have glowing eyes while it was looking at the gate?

Liwen
Priceless awesome. and I was there right while it updated! Just my luck.

Totally Guy
2009-06-06, 06:25 AM
Way to vary the set up. Makes the old joke fresh as ever.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-06, 06:25 AM
Boo-Yah!!!!!

This is why I love old V.

Hamilkar
2009-06-06, 06:26 AM
Yay V,
explosive runes for the win :smallbiggrin:

Simply awesome!

Astrella
Haha, absolutely awesome, didn't see that coming. :smallsmile:

Dark Wolf
So what exactly happened to the Bird? Charmed?

Foryn Gilnith
It just goes to show, old running gags still work.

BTW, is it me of did V's familiar have glowing eyes while it was looking at the gate?

Yes to all pi comments you made.

Itamarcu
2009-06-06, 06:27 AM
O YEA!!!!!!

That was sooooo worth waiting for.......
Rich, you're a genius!!!

SPoD
2009-06-06, 06:29 AM
So what exactly happened to the Bird? Charmed?

Seems more like Fascinated to me. There's no real side-switching, just a dazed look of confusion and obliviousness.

This may well be some facet of the Snarl's existence that may not be explained for a long time, though.

Liwen
2009-06-06, 06:29 AM
Oh wait... Battle damage is missing from Xykon in panel 3! Quick Rich, fix that up before anyone else notice!

phillyphil
2009-06-06, 06:30 AM
Nice!
And the Bird has improved evasion!

Asplode
2009-06-06, 06:32 AM
Amazing, but will the explosion propel the amulet into the hole, or will it send it off in another wild direction?
I can't wait to find out

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:32 AM
Seems more like Fascinated to me. There's no real side-switching, just a dazed look of confusion and obliviousness.
That makes sense. *thumbs up*

Dark Faun
2009-06-06, 06:33 AM
Sweet, sweet update.

At first I thought Blackwing thought the phylactery was beautiful and didn't understand why he had to destroy it...

Good old V. :smalltongue:

Gez
2009-06-06, 06:33 AM
So will the explosive runes cause the bird to drop the phylactery in the rift?

Liwen
2009-06-06, 06:34 AM
Discord, you avatar is absolutely lovely.

The Giant
2009-06-06, 06:34 AM
Oh wait... Battle damage is missing from Xykon in panel 3! Quick Rich, fix that up before anyone else notice!

I have no idea what you're talking about. That battle-damage is there, and has always been there.

:smallredface:

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:35 AM
So will the explosive runes cause the bird to drop the phylactery in the rift?
Welllll...

Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.

It looks like Blackwing, Xykon, and the phylactery are all due 6d6 points of force damage, with no save. (Sure, the phylactery's protected, but I wonder if it's shielded from force damage?)

I have no idea what you're talking about. That battle-damage is there, and has always been there.

Well, that's just uncanny... :smalleek:

Leper Master
2009-06-06, 06:36 AM
now thats just plain cool.

Elderac
I don't recall Xykon ever casting that spell before, so I'm sure that will be added to his character sheet now.

I wonder if Blackwing were to fall into the rift if somehow V would get a glimpse of Snarl before the raven was destroyed? I wonder what effect that might have on V?

I wonder if Explosive Runes would be enough to destroy Xykon? Did V intend for Blackwing to delay until the lich could catch up to him for that purpose?

Stay tuned!

NeonRonin
That was so perfect!!! Just what I needed to wake up to!

Ahhh... good ol' Explosive Runes. Is there anything they can't solve? :smallbiggrin:

Garian
2009-06-06, 06:37 AM
Oh Explosive Rune
You'll send Xykon to his tomb

Alas V and the Pally are left rather still,
When will Vaarsuvius pay the demonic bill?
Oh what a thrill!

Shall the raven save the day?
Much is dependent on the Phylacter-a-y.

Only the Giant will know,
As he created the Orders foe.

Ashen Lilies
2009-06-06, 06:37 AM
There is only one (semi-)word to describe what has just happened to Xykon. And here is that word, in its simplistic, satisfying goodness.

Pwn'd.
That is all.

Krakes
2009-06-06, 06:38 AM
Nothing like the return of an old classic :smallbiggrin:

Here's the thing though (and I know this has been discussed before)- if the phylactery is destroyed, does that mean the end of Xykon? And do we really want that at this point in the story? On the other hand, if Xykon survives, do Ochul and V stand a chance of surviving?

Kilarny
2009-06-06, 06:39 AM
Hahahahahaha hee hee hee...
The running Explosive Runes gag! Sweet!
In second edition D&D, at least, the item must now save vs. magical fire. I'm sure it'll make the save, but now where will the amulet be blown to?
Poor Blackwing...that's gonna hurt.

Doglord
2009-06-06, 06:40 AM
Running jokes save the day again!

Xentropy
For all the arguments about whether or not V should've prepared a flight spell, he never forgets to prepare explosive runes EVERY morning. :smallcool:

Eloel
There's a good chance that isn't Explosive Runes. It's a touch-range spell, and she's casting it from afar. She can't be getting Blackwing to 'deliver' the spell, since she's not touching Blackwing at time too. It can't be one of the Symbol spells, they take 10 minutes to cast. Is there anything that works as a timed-bomb?

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:41 AM
Ahhh... good ol' Explosive Runes. Is there anything they can't solve? :smallbiggrin:
I don't think I want to live in a world where Explosive Runes can't solve everything. :smallwink:

J.Gellert
Awesome! I love it :D

V, even without the ultimate power, shows us why wizards are ultimately better; Intelligence!

Too bad for Blackwing though (or does he have Improved Evasion, as a familiar?).

Itamarcu
No, wait! I can see that!
it will be like Lord Of The Rings! BW is charmed by the rift (although I thought he will be charmed by the phylactery, as of Frudu by the ring)!!!

Oh, and Sauron = Xykon (O-Chul & V = Aragorn, Legolas and the others, who distracted Sauron)

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-06, 06:42 AM
Xykon will need to be destroyed separately; it doesn't appear as though he could re-make the psylactery but his soul would need to be in it for its destruction to mean the end of him. I home Nightwing survives this.

Rainbownaga
2009-06-06, 06:42 AM
No, wait! I can see that!
it will be like Lord Of The Rings! BW is charmed by the rift (although I thought he will be charmed by the phylactery, as of Frudu by the ring)!!!

Oh, and Sauron = Xykon (O-Chul & V = Aragorn, Legolas and the others, who distracted Sauron)

Gah, i was gonna mention the LotR reference, but i had to refresh, didn't i

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-06, 06:44 AM
What i want to know is why is the snarl charming blackwing. Its never been able to do that before (its never been free of the gate before either)

The birds eyes are normally white, when he starts staring into the snarl, they go purple. Has he ignored Nietzsche's advice and been staring into the abyss too long?

The holey brotherhood member from 276 has his eyes covered, can't see if his eyes have gone all purply too.

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:45 AM
There's a good chance that isn't Explosive Runes. It's a touch-range spell, and she's casting it from afar.
V cast it on the phylactery in the first panel.

Aquillion
2009-06-06, 06:46 AM
Do I get a plot prestidigitation point for (jokingly) suggesting that V would eventually beat Xykon using Exploding Runes a few threads ago? Granted, not quite like this, but...

Eloel
2009-06-06, 06:46 AM
V cast it on the phylactery in the first panel.

Exactly my point. V is not touching the phylactery at first panel.

Liwen
2009-06-06, 06:47 AM

Don't try it. Whatever spell you used to rewrite reality and put the battle damage on Xykon has not erased my memory of this significant-less omission to details.

Now go on an work on the next cliffhanger comic (please :smalltongue:)

Lukraak
2009-06-06, 06:47 AM
Guess the Snarl can interact in some way other than destruction, wonder if it has learned that.

And I did not expect that final panel, all hail the power of explosive runes :)

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 06:48 AM
Yessss it's back!

But... looks like Blackwing might catch it in the face, too. Sorry V; hope you didn't like your current Con score.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-06, 06:49 AM
Too bad for Blackwing though (or does he have Improved Evasion, as a familiar?).

As a familiar he has improved evasion from level 1. They gain more abilities as their master levels. If V is 14, his other abilities include

The ability to deliver touch spells for v
The ability to speak with V (redundant as its a raven, it can speak one language)
Speak with birds
Spell resistance ~19
And V can scry on him once per day (I'd forgotten about the last two, as no one plays a wizard to 14 anymore)

Dalenthas
2009-06-06, 06:49 AM
Might I suggest as an alternate title for today's strip: "Flipping the Bird"?

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 06:52 AM
We never see O-Chul actually give Blackwing the phylactery, but V probably does it then. I'm guessing it would have been a waste of a panel to show that as well as Blackwing beginning to fly off. Since the spell is a standard action, the glowiness (is that even a word?) wouldn't flash and fade instantly, so we're seeing the very end of the spell being cast in order to preserve economy of action in the strip.

Incidentally: does anyone think that Rich really likes paralysing characters not just for plot reasons (but, obviously, for those reasons too) but also because it means he can use and re-use the same character pose for quite a few strips? :smallbiggrin: Saves time on new comics! :smallsmile:

Also incidentally: Evasion, improved or otherwise, doesn't matter because Blackwing's close enough to the writing that he shouldn't get a save (I think).

The Guardian
2009-06-06, 06:53 AM
6d6 probably isn't enough by far to destroy the Phylactery as someone suggested... but how many hp would the raven have?

oball
2009-06-06, 06:53 AM

It says on the phylactery itself "Guess what spell I cast before giving this to the bird."

Doc Filth
2009-06-06, 06:54 AM
Brilliant! Absolutely f'ing awesome!

'Course, if that force damage does lethal damage to Blackwing, then I really don't want to be V right now...:eek:

Miraqariftsky
BLAGOOOM!

Haharr, jolly good show, sir Giant!

Estelindis
It says on the phylactery itself "Guess what spell I cast before giving this to the bird."
Well said. That's far less leaky (i.e. not leaky at all) than my attempt at explanation. :smallsmile:

Eben
2009-06-06, 06:55 AM
I don't use the word epic often, but...

Also it's sad that V is still barking curt orders to Blackwing. If they live through this he damn well better get some nice birdie treats!

Liwen
6d6 probably isn't enough by far to destroy the Phylactery as someone suggested... but how many hp would the raven have?

more than enough. Blackwing get's half of V's HP, which I presume is enough to at least survive 6d6 damage.

SPoD

You're overanalyzing. There are plenty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0006.html) of instances (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0052.html) of people (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html) not touching (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0074.html) to cast touch-range spells. It's artistic license.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-06, 06:58 AM
:smallbiggrin:

Now that was funny! Xykon uses a lot of rune magic, nice to see him getting zapped in return!

TYPO ALERT! Questions end in question marks. (It's the end of the world as we know it!)

jindra34
2009-06-06, 06:59 AM
And old V, the V that was before the whole Azure CIty feasco comes up with the win. Hopefully that should convince V that he is powerful enough, without the soul splices.

Gamerlord
2009-06-06, 07:00 AM
Last panel=HAHAHAhAHAHAhAhAH AHAHHAhHAHHAHA *Chokes on the bread he is eating*

Tadpole
2009-06-06, 07:00 AM
OMG sooooo AWESOME!!!

bluedolphin359
2009-06-06, 07:03 AM
Amazing. Thank the Twelve Gods that V always remembers to prepare Explosive Runes. :smallbiggrin:

On another note, I wonder what will happen now. My theory is that Blackwing will be blasted into the rift, with the phylactery, in a twist on the LotR theme. (He will be both Frodo and Gollum, entranced by the "ring" and then dying with it)

kingjosh
2009-06-06, 07:04 AM
There is awesome, there is awesome, and then there is "Guess what spell I cast..."

Perfect.

Tamburlaine
2009-06-06, 07:05 AM
Oh man, I'm going to be smiling all day now, after that last panel. :smallbiggrin:

Pronounceable
2009-06-06, 07:05 AM
The Return of the Revenge of the Running Gags!

Zanaril
2009-06-06, 07:06 AM
I love how V remarks on O-chul's unwillingness to try to escape. But if Xykon isn't completely destroyed now, I can't see things going well for them when Xykon returns phylactery-less.

How long does mass hold person last for?

Gygaxphobia
2009-06-06, 07:07 AM
+5 Holy Cajones rule.

OverdrivePrime
YES! Explosive Runes FTW, once again! :smallbiggrin:

I frickin' love it. Love! It!

It is worrisome that Blackwing seems fascinated by the Rift. Xykon is probably immune to the effect, but it's good to know.

Poor Blackwing is probably heading off to that great Dimensional Pocket in the sky once those runes go off. Unless V's got a positive Con modifier, Blackwing's hit points are probably in the 14-20 range - enough to be dropped into negatives by an average blast of Explosive Runes.

Those runes will probably have an impact on the phylactery - I don't care how paranoid you are, almost no one thinks to protect their stuff from force damage. It probably won't be enough to destroy it, but the phylactery should at least be moderately damaged.

In the mean time, this buys V an O-Chul some time to make their Will Saves against Mass Hold Person and get the heck out while Xykon is chasing the phylactery.

dogmac
Aaah, cool V, I've missed you so much!!!

ravidubey
2009-06-06, 07:08 AM
Brilliant. Another good one is Mislead, since he can cast it on his familiar, but to go this way is priceless.

Still, it's not clear that any of Blackwing, Xykon, or the amulet will be destroyed by ER. I can only imagine where the amulet will end up since the explosion will knock it clear of the bird.

Definitely Me
2009-06-06, 07:10 AM
I'm not a D&D player but it seems that Explosive Runes is hardly a spell with much power behind it. Belkar claimed
(in #322 or thereabouts) to have triggered 11 of them in one single day -- plus the infamous toilet seat fire trap -- and he still did not show any signs of damage.

I hope that V did not just tell Blackwing to return after dropping the phylactery into the hole to lull his (possibly still disgruntled) familiar into a false sense of security.

So V is expecting (counting on) Bird-that-Miss-Starshine-named to return. Makes me think that the Explosive Rune (if it is one) is not intended to do real damage, more a gesture of defiance in Xykon's direction.

Anyway, a fantastic strip! Go familiar! Hooray for +5 Holy Cajones (sic)!

JeptCloak
2009-06-06, 07:10 AM
Obviously very clever, and very satisfying. As I have said, things have been generally on the up and up since the fight v.s Xykon... this is getting more satisfying easily... O'chul should be unparalysed pretty quick... dunno about V.

AdInfinitum
2009-06-06, 07:11 AM
That was glorious. :smallbiggrin:

SPoD
2009-06-06, 07:13 AM
I'm not a D&D player but it seems that Explosive Runes is hardly a spell with much power behind it. Belkar claimed
(in #322 or thereabouts) to have triggered 11 of them in one single day -- plus the infamous toilet seat fire trap -- and he still did not show any signs of damage.

I hope that V did not just tell Blackwing to return after dropping the phylactery into the hole to lull his (possibly still disgruntled) familiar into a false sense of security.

So V is expecting (counting on) Bird-that-Miss-Starshine-named to return. Makes me think that the Explosive Rune (if it is one) is not intended to do real damage, more a gesture of defiance in Xykon's direction.

I think it's intended to make the raven drop the phylactery, primarily. As in, if Xykon is close enough to trigger the Explosive Runes, then he's about to catch the bird. Creating a force explosion is a good way to make the bird drop it, either in the rift or in the city somewhere. It either destroys the amulet or loses it somewhere in Azure City, forcing Xykon to look for it.

TerrickTerran
2009-06-06, 07:14 AM
Blackwing's likely going to bite it. The Explosive Runes damage will likely take him out. Be interesting to see what happens to the Phylactery and Xykon though. Well I guess that's what 660 is for.

Sequinox
2009-06-06, 07:15 AM
I didn't see that coming, but never before has a comic been so awesome.

Seriously, that was like taking the buffalo wings that (insert divine being here, if atheist, say... The best chef EVER, but awesomer) made and then got doused in awesomesauce of tasteyness +10. (Even though that's impossible.)

All in all, that was a delicious comic. :smallbiggrin:

Anteros
2009-06-06, 07:16 AM
I love how V remarks on O-chul's unwillingness to try to escape. But if Xykon isn't completely destroyed now, I can't see things going well for them when Xykon returns phylactery-less.

Honestly Xykon seems more impressed with them than angry. Then again, knowing Xykon's character, this may be the most fun he's had since bouncy-balling the Sapphire Guard.

Kaytara
2009-06-06, 07:19 AM
YES! An epic way to bring back a running gag. :) I had a feeling the Explosive Runes gag was coming, though, but I didn't think it would come back like THIS....

You know, Vaarsuvius actually lied there. The first panel clearly shows us that he only cast the spell AFTER giving it to the bird, not before. :) Thus, he is... clearly Chaotic? XD

CatShannon
2009-06-06, 07:19 AM
Great last panel! :smallbiggrin:

I have a little question.

Is the -cajones instead of cojones- thing an inside joke, an attempt to avoid a not so nice word or a typo? :smallconfused:

Xykon looks eerily similar to Superman on the big panel.

Pronounceable
2009-06-06, 07:21 AM
Honestly Xykon seems more impressed with them than angry. Then again, knowing Xykon's character, this may be the most fun he's had since bouncy-balling the Sapphire Guard.

You're probably right. But X's mood can change when he loses the phylactery.

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 07:21 AM
1 round/level, but the held creatures get to attempt a new save every round. It's Will, which is good for V as a wizard (though I doubt V has much wisdom). I reckon O-Chul's Will save isn't too shabby since, although it's not a good save for him, and I don't think he'd have much of a charisma bonus (if any) to add from Divine Grace, he comes across as a person with quite a bit of wisdom. Still, with numerous rounds to attempt escape, they have reasonable chances of getting away (or they would if Xykon wasn't coming back - but if something happens to his phylactery, he might be angry enough to float and rant for a bit).

motub
2009-06-06, 07:22 AM
Rich's strips have often been funny, but I rarely LOL at them.... but today I did.

Finally, that joke pays off big! And right out of left field, too; I sure wasn't expecting that!

BW is mesmerized by the Rift, like a moth by a light? Or did V cleverly give BW some instructions to stop and wait, so that X would read the phylactery?

(in the event that some new readers didn't get the joke as to what the spell clearly was) Either way, the phylactery and X may both be toast... we know Explosive Runes packs a pretty hefty punch.

Surely it's enough to blow Xykon's bones apart (since he's so close), "killing" him, and may even be enough to break the phylactery-- it has all that protection, but not so much from an explosion whose source is itself, just like the ABD was unprotected from an attack originating within its own body.

Edit: From d20srd:
The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw). (Emphasis mine.)

Why, Explosive Runes, you're beautiful! I can hardly imagine a more perfect spell for the situation they currently find themselves in. It doesn't seem like a lot of damage, but 1) the phylactery is apparently in and of itself not a sturdy object, so it could well be destroyed--- this whole setup was a decoy and a bluff!!!!????--- and 2) Xykon is essentially a skeleton, which means that things like force or bludgeoning damage hurt him more than other, more fleshy creatures (doesn't it?), and plus, he's a bunch of bones; in and of himself, he doesn't seem like he should have all that many hitpoints. So if nothing else, he's going to lose an arm (no more pointing spells in my direction) or leg, and in the best case, he'll be literally blown apart. And then his skull will crash to the ground and shatter heh, heh :smallbiggrin:.
I hope BW can live through this, but I don't so much see how. Then again, I thought O-Chul would be dead, what, three or four strips ago, and he's not, nor is V, even though shi too came (too) close (twice or three times). Plus I now see that the phylactery is hanging from BW's claws, not his beak, so it's possible that he'll only get his tail feathers singed some, since I've gotta figure that a bird in flight (or hovering, in this case, but anyway using its wings) has got to have a kinda decent Reflex save. I hope that V gives him many worms (or whatever he likes) if they are able to reunite.

I think it's great that V is learning not only that arcane power is not the be-all and end-all of encounters, but that "ultimate" arcane power doesn't lie so much in having the most powerful spells, but in using the spells you have, no matter their power, to the best possible effect.

I mean, up to now, V has only used that spell as a joke-- a mean joke, to be sure, but nonetheless a joke.... and now it may defeat the main villan of the piece (as far as we know, although that may turn out not to be entirely true) and save hir life (and O-Chul's) to boot. And what is it.... a measly level 3 spell. Ha!

How long does Hold Person last? Or is it dissipated if the casting mage "dies"/is blown bone from bone?

In other words, is there any hope/likelihood that it will expire and free our heroes so they can escape before somebody (Redcloak, Tsukiko) comes back and makes more trouble for them?

Tadpole
2009-06-06, 07:23 AM
Blackwing's likely going to bite it. The Explosive Runes damage will likely take him out.

Evasion!

other words to make post go

Glorendil
2009-06-06, 07:25 AM
HAHAHAHA!!! ROTFLMAO!!! :smallbiggrin:

Extremely nicely done!

Estelindis
2009-06-06, 07:25 AM
Evasion!

Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw.

carldot34
2009-06-06, 07:26 AM
Am I the only person that thinks it's something other than explosive runes? I'd have gone for some kind of misdirect or illusions so that Xykon was chasing the wrong bird!
No explosion yet, why think it is explosive runes?

Tadpole
2009-06-06, 07:27 AM
Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw.
Aw man... :(

motub
2009-06-06, 07:29 AM
There's a good chance that isn't Explosive Runes. It's a touch-range spell, and she's casting it from afar.
No, you're wrong :smallbiggrin:. If you look at panel 1, shi cast it on the phylactery as Blackwing was flying away (both hir hand and the phylactery have a pink spell effect surrounding them).

And Blackwing is not close enough to read the runes, because they're hanging from his feet. He's within 10 feet, though, so he gets his Reflex save.

I tell you, it's a Master Stroke! With a level three spell!

Military Man
2009-06-06, 07:29 AM
:smalltongue: Two thumbs up and 5 Stars.

BW is mesmerized by the Rift, like a moth by a light? Or did V cleverly give BW some instructions to stop and wait, so that X would read the phylactery?

I wondered that too. We'll have to wait until the next comic

SPoD
2009-06-06, 07:31 AM
Am I the only person that thinks it's something other than explosive runes? I'd have gone for some kind of misdirect or illusions so that Xykon was chasing the wrong bird!
No explosion yet, why think it is explosive runes?

It's the same font and color that V has used for every casting of Explosive Runes (and for nothing else).

Also, if it is Explosive Runes, it's a hilarious joke and the perfect climax to the scene, and if its anything else, it's a weird anticlimax that isn't funny.

So yeah, you're probably the only person who thinks it's something other than Explosive Runes.

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-06, 07:31 AM
Explosive Runes: Have you prepared yours this morning?

Brilliant comic, although damn you Giant for yet another cliffhanger. Although to be fair, it keeps me hoping every day I visit that the comic has updated so it's doing it's job.

otakuryoga
2009-06-06, 07:33 AM
hmmmmm...what spell could that possibly be???

Disintegr...noooo

teleport....hmmmmm...no

what could it possibly be........oooooo, maybe

Explosive Runes

Hawgh
2009-06-06, 07:34 AM
Yes, yes, YES!

That is so friggin' fantastic on so many different levels.

Mystyco
i missed explosive runes sooooo much, i'm glad they're back.

along with a fresh +5 holy cajones

EDIT: also for the "objects not touching" drama, blackwing can cast touch spells for V

Azukar
I had to hold in the world's biggest bout of laughter when I saw the end of this strip, because everyone else in the house is asleep.

It turned into some kind of giant-sized Silent Scream.

Go, V :smallbiggrin: you are this close, this close to being redeemed in my eyes.

Elhann
Aw man... :(

Well, Explosive Runes allow spell resistance.
Blackwing, being the familiar of a ~13 level wizard, has (at least) SR 18
V can voluntarily fail the caster level to affect Blackwing.

I don't think Blackwing should be worried about the explosive runes. The pretty purple lights, or Xykon surviving the explosion, on the other hand...

I love the "Guess which spell ..." gag. *applauds*

*EDIT: and a fairly nitpicky one, while we're at it, but I've seen many people praising the +5 holy cajones: If you want to use a (quite vulgar) Spanish expression, it should be spelled with an "o" (cojones) instead of cajones. "Cajones" means drawers.
Of course, being O-chul, he can have whatever he wants. I might even add that +5 is even too low.:smallsmile:

Zombie Nixon
2009-06-06, 07:36 AM
The runes explode, killing Xykon and dropping the symbol into the rift. V and O-Chul escape, and the story moves to Girard's gate, with Nale, the fiends, Redcloak, etc. At the climax of that arc, out pops Xykon, more pissed off than ever, destroying the gate in the process.

I think someone else said much the same a while ago.

otakuryoga
2009-06-06, 07:36 AM
and +5 Holy Cojones.....WIN!!!!

DamonKashu
2009-06-06, 07:37 AM
If I recall, Blackwing has spell resistance (many have discussed how Xykon would have no issues overcoming this). Would that SR help Blackwing survive now? (not sure how spell resistance works if V is not directing the spell at any target)

Furthermore, 3rd panel, V's hand glows with typical magical power. Is it likely he had more spells prepared, mainly for "blasting" and not escaping? Actually, I'm surprised that despite all the abjurations protecting the amulet, V could still scribe some runes onto it. Maybe the phylactery won't be damaged by the explosion, but the force could very well send it into the rift still.

I still don't understand why Blackwing is just staring at the rift though. Also, even though it's not possible for them to interfere directly (and Qarr can't teleport in because of the cloister), I'm surprised the IFCC does not take more action. The moment they had said "If the elf dies here, this whole thing was a waste of time", I presumed they would do something to help V survive or escape.

valce
2009-06-06, 07:37 AM
If that's explosive runes, isn't there a pretty good chance that her familiar will die?

I guess she wasn't terribly attached to it to begin with, but still... Doesn't a wizard take some sort of feedback damage when their familiar dies? And isn't she already pretty low on hit points...?

Blanth
2009-06-06, 07:38 AM
Good to the last boom! :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2009-06-06, 07:39 AM
At the climax of that arc, out pops Xykon, more pissed off than ever, destroying the gate in the process.
How will he do that when dead & soul-snarl'd?

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-06, 07:40 AM
I'm surprised the IFCC does not take more action. The moment they had said "If the elf dies here, this whole thing was a waste of time", I presumed they would do something to help V survive or escape.

They stated specifically they can't interfere on the mortal plane unless doing a deal.

NotNale
2009-06-06, 07:41 AM
This is really an excellent strip.

Love the rekindling of the explosive runes gag, but also shows Rich's command of narrative. In this strip we see V using xykon's lecture against him ("power is power"). In the "face-off," V was trying to outmagic an epic level lich. The lich actually finally defeats him using a big rock - not a more powerful spell. Here, he's using a mid-level spell to paralyze X -- as the evil audience notes, Xykon can't even cast a spell to blast the raven for fear of it dropping his phylactery -- now V has cast a spell that could cause the raven to drop the phylactery if Xykon even touches the bird. That's power, used in exactly the sense that Xykon was lecturing about just a few rounds ago.

Beautifully done.

Zombie Nixon
2009-06-06, 07:44 AM
How will he do that when dead & soul-snarl'd?

Well, he won't be dead, the phylactery will have survived. The idea kind of hinges on the snarl not noticing him, which is unlikely with what we know about it now, but still possible

DoomedPaladin
2009-06-06, 07:44 AM
OH MY DEAR GODS YES!!!
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Caught him with the monologue.

SPoD
2009-06-06, 07:45 AM
If I recall, Blackwing has spell resistance (many have discussed how Xykon would have no issues overcoming this). Would that SR help Blackwing survive now? (not sure how spell resistance works if V is not directing the spell at any target)

There's a chance, yes. V has a caster level of 14, Blackwing has Spell Resistance of 19, so if V rolls lower than a 5 on his caster level check, Blackwing would take no damage.

I still don't understand why Blackwing is just staring at the rift though.

No one does. It's a new unanswered question.

Also, even though it's not possible for them to interfere directly (and Qarr can't teleport in because of the cloister), I'm surprised the IFCC does not take more action. The moment they had said "If the elf dies here, this whole thing was a waste of time", I presumed they would do something to help V survive or escape.

They are unable to interfere, they said so in the same strip. They can't do anything but watch.

SPoD
2009-06-06, 07:47 AM
Why all the speculation about whether the bird is mesmerized by the rift?

Why not the simpler explanation: The raven doesn't want to give up something shiny?

It's looking at the rift, not the amulet. It doesn't understand what it is looking at, probably because the Snarl is beyond mortal reasoning. And its eyes turn pink.

Really, that the god-killing abomination has powers we don't know about IS a simpler explanation than that a hyper-intelligent magical beast has developed a heretofore-unknown personality trait of greed so strongly that it can literally entrance him--but only after he's been carrying it for 200+ feet.

garylian
2009-06-06, 07:47 AM
Simply an awesome amount of goodness on this comic. Even the Belkster would have approved of V's actions.

And you know if the Belkster liked it, it must have been good!

Wych
2009-06-06, 07:49 AM
I don't use the word epic often, but...

Anyone else think that if V ever becomes epic himself the first thing he will do is make an epic explosive runes?

Azukar
2009-06-06, 07:54 AM
I've gotta say, this also serves to highlight why I will always prefer spontaneous, sorcerer-style casting over preparatory, wizard-type spell casting.

It says to me that Epic V actually thought, when he was preparing his spells, that Explosive Runes would be a perfect spell to prepare when planning to go up against an ancience black dragon and a lich sorcerer...

I know it's practically part of who V is to use this spell, but it kinda strikes me as an unlikely choice.

Aerysil
2009-06-06, 07:55 AM
Oh, V, you.... you you... you.

I guess since Blackwing has half of V's total hit points that a quick little Magic Missile from Xykon wouldn't have been enough to down him. I'd predict the Explosive Runes explosive won't, either

Zanaril
2009-06-06, 07:55 AM

Doesn't mean he won't subject them to the unimaginable tortures reserved for First Class prisoners. He'll just be cheerful about it.

Gwynfrid
2009-06-06, 07:57 AM
I simply... sit back and applause quietly. This is masterful. Keep it coming, Giant !

Coldwind
2009-06-06, 07:58 AM
That is totally BRILLIANT!

I must admit, I am enjoying OotS more than ever nowadays :)

V rocks!

quick_comment
2009-06-06, 07:59 AM
I've gotta say, this also serves to highlight why I will always prefer spontaneous, sorcerer-style casting over preparatory, wizard-type spell casting.

It says to me that Epic V actually thought, when he was preparing his spells, that Explosive Runes would be a perfect spell to prepare when planning to go up against an ancience black dragon and a lich sorcerer...

I know it's practically part of who V is to use this spell, but it kinda strikes me as an unlikely choice.

Epic V didn't prepare any spells. His soul-splices gave him all the spells he thought he needed. All V did was teleport head-first into both confrontations.

Tova
2009-06-06, 08:01 AM
That was glorious.

Azukar
2009-06-06, 08:02 AM
Epic V didn't prepare any spells. His soul-splices gave him all the spells he thought he needed. All V did was teleport head-first into both confrontations.

Ah, of course, thanks to the sorcerer/archmage guy who doesn't have to prepare spell slots.

That being the case, which spells would V be left with, now that the splices have ended? Surely he can't just have all his spells ready to go; or is he left with just the spells he had directly before the splice took place...

Elder Wraith
2009-06-06, 08:02 AM
'I cast explosive runes this morning'

'Guess which spell I cast before giving this to the bird'

Best. Line. Ever

Does this mean that the Phylactry will be blown up by Explosive Runes?

Aerysil
2009-06-06, 08:04 AM
That being the case, which spells would V be left with, now that the splices have ended? Surely he can't just have all his spells ready to go; or is he left with just the spells he had directly before the splice took place...

I'm guessing he still has whatever spells were left before the splice took place. So the majority of his decent battle spells would be expended due to his feeble pre-splice encounter with the black dragon.

InuSaga
2009-06-06, 08:11 AM
Dude, you've made me gasp at the end of, like, the last five or six comics. I can't take this freaking tension, but the story is reaching a perfectly awesome climax. Mast storytelling skills, man.:biggrin:

T-O-E
Best in a while. I actually laughed, which is very rare for me (at webcomics, anyway).

Aquillion

I know it's practically part of who V is to use this spell, but it kinda strikes me as an unlikely choice.V hasn't had a chance to prepare spells since... way back before the black dragon appeared, actually. Whatever spells V has right now are part of a usual memorization rote, not things intended for use on Xykon.

DrakebloodIV
2009-06-06, 08:12 AM
Sometimes I think the Giant intentionally delays comics so that we really savor all the Epic in each one...

valce
2009-06-06, 08:12 AM
Did V intend for Blackwing to delay until the lich could catch up to him for that purpose?

I thought so too, but it's unlikely. I mean, the first panel was V's instructions to Blackwing. Also, if he wanted Xykon to catch up, he wouldn't have just turned around with O'Chul to fight the lich. The runes were probably more of a contingency plan.

More likely something has happened to Blackwing because of its proximity to the snarl.

Often Normal
2009-06-06, 08:13 AM
Ravens are attracted to shiny things right? Maybe the Rift is the biggest "Shiny thing" BW has ever seen?

Blanth
2009-06-06, 08:17 AM
Also Blackwing's reaction vaguely reminds me of the "A Bug's Life" Trailer:

[two mosquitoes fly near a bug zapper; one flies towards it, as if in a trance]
Mosquito #1: Larry, no! Don't look at the light!
Mosquito #2: [etranced] I-can't-help-it. It's-so-beautiful.
[Larry gets zapped, falls]

Dhanauranji
2009-06-06, 08:20 AM
*EDIT: and a fairly nitpicky one, while we're at it, but I've seen many people praising the +5 holy cajones: If you want to use a (quite vulgar) Spanish expression, it should be spelled with an "o" (cojones) instead of cajones. "Cajones" means drawers.
Of course, being O-chul, he can have whatever he wants. I might even add that +5 is even too low.:smallsmile:

Although I agree with you on them being "cojones", spanish being my first language and all, you forgot to see the big picture here. Rich meant +5 holy cajones, which means 5 drawers full of cojones!

Seriously! :D

Altaria87
My prediction for next strip:
Since these strips seem to be the Return of the Running Gags the explosion will somehow cause Xykon to loose his flight and he will land on a Flumph or whatever they're called
Also awesome strip

Moran
OMG!
I cant' stop laughing.
V (the real V) is back. Epic.

Azukar
V hasn't had a chance to prepare spells since... way back before the black dragon appeared, actually.

By which you mean, maybe 30 minutes ago, tops? :P

All this has happened very quickly, don't forget.

faith
2009-06-06, 08:22 AM
explosive runes ftw

Faramir
2009-06-06, 08:27 AM

actually - I think he got all his used spell slots filled for the day. It's unclear whether he got to choose what what went in them though:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

Anyway, wonderful, wonderful strip.

Sacrificing minions, is there any problem it can't solve?

BTW - just wanted to point out that we don't know if V failed the save vs the hold. We only see O-Chul frozen after the spell is cast.

Ionizer
2009-06-06, 08:28 AM
Everyone is forgetting that Explosive Runes does 6d6 Damage. Even on a max roll of 36 damage, it cannot destroy the Phylactery because it has 40 HP (even not counting Hardness and any spells Xykon cast on it to protect it).

The explosion could, however, blast the amulet into the rift.

RMS Oceanic
2009-06-06, 08:34 AM
I'm guessing he still has whatever spells were left before the splice took place. So the majority of his decent battle spells would be expended due to his feeble pre-splice encounter with the black dragon.

Rich came round in the last comic's thread and explicitly said Vaarsuvius got to pick a fresh crop of spells as if (s)he had rested for 8 hours and studied for another hour. So yes (s)he pretty much has a near full spell supply.

02youeng
2009-06-06, 08:35 AM
Empowered Explosive Runes?

motub
2009-06-06, 08:43 AM
V hasn't had a chance to prepare spells since... way back before the black dragon appeared, actually.
I don't believe this is true.... accepting the splice explictily provided "the rejuvenating effects of the Soul Splice (which) will allow you to start with all spell slots fully replenished."

And Rich said in the last thread that the intention was to indicate that V could (if shi so chose) prepare a completely different spell list than what shi would normally use, or different from the list which was partially expended at the moment shi accepted the splice.

However.... it just occurs to me... when one refreshes one's spell list, or prepares a spell list, doesn't one just replace expended spells?

So let's say, just as an example, V has 5 level 3 spell slots. Shi prepares (months ago), Explosive Runes, Fly, and Hold Person 3x.

In the time between having orginally prepared the spells, and the time shi rests to refresh her list, shi uses Fly, and Hold Person twice.

So when she goes to refresh/replenish hirself, shi can only prepare 3 level 3 spells, to replace the 2 Hold Persons and the Fly, right? Whether or not shi chooses the same or different spells, the Explosive Runes and one instance of Hold Person are already prepared, and Istr that "forgetting" a prepared spell in order to put a new/different one in its place is a specific feat, rather than something one just does automatically.

So this ER could have been the same one from the day after shi blew up Belkar and the coffee machine (I don't remember hir using it since then, but I could most assurredly be wrong), since shi hasn't been able to/seen the need to expend it since that time, and therefore hasn't replaced it with something else?

the_tick_rules
2009-06-06, 08:45 AM
V is truly the supreme and unrivaled master of explosive runes.

FlawedParadigm
2009-06-06, 08:45 AM
This is probably some silly, meaningless coincidence with no bearing whatsoever on anything...but did anyone else notice that Xykon's got cross-shaped battle damage over where his heart would be if he had one throughout this comic?

Like I said, probably meaningless, but...

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-06, 08:50 AM
Epic. Absolutely fantastic. :smallbiggrin: That's the V I know and love.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-06, 08:51 AM

Cast through familiar.

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-06, 08:51 AM
I'm wondering, we know that V cast explosive runes on Xykon's phylactery, but could it have been Empowered Explosive Runes, to take it from the 6d6 damage most people have been quoting up to (from what I can tell) 9d6 damage...

Considering that V's chosen school was Evocation (thus demanding a focus on dealing damage), Empower Spell would seem to be a no-brainer.

EDIT: Just checked the class and level geekery thread, and apparently yes, V does have Empower spell.

Elderac
2009-06-06, 08:57 AM
Also Blackwing's reaction vaguely reminds me of the "A Bug's Life" Trailer:

[two mosquitoes fly near a bug zapper; one flies towards it, as if in a trance]
Mosquito #1: Larry, no! Don't look at the light!
Mosquito #2: [etranced] I-can't-help-it. It's-so-beautiful.
[Larry gets zapped, falls]

I've had this thought as well, especially given what the raven caws as it approaches the rift.

I'm not so sure that Snarl is right there, but the rift in and of itself is pretty awe inspiring.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-06, 08:58 AM
I don't believe this is true.... accepting the splice explictily provided "the rejuvenating effects of the Soul Splice (which) will allow you to start with all spell slots fully replenished."

And Rich said in the last thread that the intention was to indicate that V could (if shi so chose) prepare a completely different spell list than what shi would normally use, or different from the list which was partially expended at the moment shi accepted the splice.

However.... it just occurs to me... when one refreshes one's spell list, or prepares a spell list, doesn't one just replace expended spells?

So let's say, just as an example, V has 5 level 3 spell slots. Shi prepares (months ago), Explosive Runes, Fly, and Hold Person 3x.

In the time between having orginally prepared the spells, and the time shi rests to refresh her list, shi uses Fly, and Hold Person twice.

So when she goes to refresh/replenish hirself, shi can only prepare 3 level 3 spells, to replace the 2 Hold Persons and the Fly, right? Whether or not shi chooses the same or different spells, the Explosive Runes and one instance of Hold Person are already prepared, and Istr that "forgetting" a prepared spell in order to put a new/different one in its place is a specific feat, rather than something one just does automatically.

So this ER could have been the same one from the day after shi blew up Belkar and the coffee machine (I don't remember hir using it since then, but I could most assurredly be wrong), since shi hasn't been able to/seen the need to expend it since that time, and therefore hasn't replaced it with something else?
You can choose to discard prepared spells when you are entitled to preparing again.

Duaneyo1
2009-06-06, 08:58 AM
Although I agree with you on them being "cojones", spanish being my first language and all, you forgot to see the big picture here. Rich meant +5 holy cajones, which means 5 drawers full of cojones!

Seriously! :D
O’Chul probably has that many, in equivalent mass of course.

Tharianor
2009-06-06, 08:59 AM
Good old V is Back!
As the comic came up I looked immediately at the first frames and at the last one. When I read "Guess what spell I cast before giving this to the bird" I LOLed inside me!
I liked it! Damn you Rich I can't wait to see how this arc ends.
My guess is pretty obvious and it is that the phylactery is blasted in the Rift, but probably Rich will surprise us and it will do a strage path in the air before goin in.

The fact that BW is charmed attrcted by the Rift or the Snarl itself and stops what it's doing to look at it got me unprepared as many other probably.
I don't remember well, so I ask you, somebody has looked directly in a rift before, aside for the Order of the Rift or someone in the OotPC or SoD books?
Thank you again the Giant

EEDIT: If the philactery dealing goes in some way well for our V and O-chul I will put "Guess what spell I cast before giving this to the bird" in my sig.

Who I'm kidding I'm going to put "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning" in mi sig anyway!

Roupe
2009-06-06, 09:06 AM
Blackbird can henceforth and truthfully be called that Blasted Bird.

OITS
2009-06-06, 09:06 AM
I think this was one of the top 5 jokes to be made EVER. I just can't stop laughing^^

ScIaDrd
2009-06-06, 09:07 AM
:smalltongue:Hahaha Eat that BonneheadMcBigbad *BOOM* owned
Just awesome:smallwink: Just like the good old V. Guess what spell I cast?.. pricelless
Gottha feel sorry for Blackwing, though. What are the chances it´ll make the Ref save with the +4 bunus? It would suck fif poor Blackwing dies.

ForestCult4ever
2009-06-06, 09:08 AM
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Doesn't explosive runes do the same kind of damage that meteor swarm does? If that's the case then Xykon will be immune to any damage (or knockback) from the spell right? if he grabs the phylactery before the triggered explosion goes of, then they'd both stay still right? GAH my head hurts Imoen-style!

I don't know, i always thought the phylactery would make it to some "FINAL BATTLE" but i don't know anymore, and it'd at least mean that V really did accomplish something, before s/he... you know... bites it big time. i Reeeaaaallly dont see how O-Chul and V'll come outa this alive, but then again, the giant knows how to write a good sory so we'll see

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-06, 09:10 AM
Explosive Runes does force damage, not fire and bludgeoning damage, ForestCult.

Awesome comic, Giant! :smallcool:

Adeptus
2009-06-06, 09:13 AM
'splode! :vaarsuvius:

JustRain
2009-06-06, 09:15 AM
Just... Genius.

Laughed out loud, for real. V rules!

Xyk
2009-06-06, 09:16 AM
I always like it when characters actually use their 18 intelligence.

mehilow
2009-06-06, 09:20 AM
All right, this just keeps getting better. Its even lurched me in from my lurking.

Anyway, yes, it is a running gag and it really rules... But are you guys absolutely SURE its explosive runes? Could be V (i.e. The Giant) has another surprise up his sleeve...

Nah, who am I kidding, it's probably the runes.

Mojique
2009-06-06, 09:20 AM
Thrilling!

Felyndiira
2009-06-06, 09:24 AM
So, here's a question. Why did the raven not drop the phylactery into the big gaping hole in the sky like it was ordered to =o?

Starscream
2009-06-06, 09:27 AM
This comic strip officially deserves the classic 1980s Sports Film cliche where we are all silent for a second, and then someone starts to clap slowly, followed by more people until the entire audience erupts in thunderous applause.

I'm off to craft a wand of You Know What.

spargel
2009-06-06, 09:29 AM
Nice comic. Maybe Xykon will somehow fall into the rift himself.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-06, 09:30 AM
I lol'd irl.

<3 :vaarsuvius:

I missed this kind of humor, which is why I laughed so much when it happened.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-06, 09:32 AM
The fact that BW is charmed by the Rift or the Snarl itself got me unprepared as many other probably.
I don't remember well, so I ask you somebody has looked directly in a rift before, asade for the Order of the Rift or something happened in the OotPC or SoD books?
Thank you again the Giant

His eyes are not swirly. If Rich is being loyal to his own standards, the rift is doing worst than a simple fly-frier (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html).

marquiz
2009-06-06, 09:35 AM
There is one thing though, I wonder what does Blackwing say before beginning the flight?

Inkling
2009-06-06, 09:35 AM
Explosive Runes, FTW!!!!

This comic is completely awesome.

kierthos
2009-06-06, 09:38 AM
There is one thing though, I wonder what does Blackwing say before beginning the flight?I do not get paid enough for this kind of work.

Well, it's possible.

Drascin
2009-06-06, 09:40 AM
Anyone else think that if V ever becomes epic himself the first thing he will do is make an epic explosive runes?

I totally need to do that if I ever play an Epic game. Or just research a level 8 Superior Explosive Runes or something. Seriously, Explosive Runes might very well be the best level 3 spell ever.

Teddy
2009-06-06, 09:43 AM
Running gags FTW! Gotta love that good old V is glimpsing through again!

Alltough I wonder what it is exactly that Blackwing get fascinated by. Are the swirling strings forming some special pattern, or...?

Tharianor
2009-06-06, 09:43 AM
His eyes are not swirly. If Rich is being loyal to his own standards, the rift is doing worst than a simple fly-frier (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html).

Yes you are right, charmed is not the right term, and maybe none of the mind effect that we have seen until now neither!
If I remember well mind effect as charm person or suggestion all have swirly eyes as a graphical effect, right?
So probably it is some homebrewed effect of the Snarl, probably a god-like ability, anyone?

Lowkey
2009-06-06, 09:44 AM
The Blackwing thing is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-06, 09:45 AM
First that is an awesome title. It always bodes well when I get the giggles just looking at the title.

I'm loving V going the smart path and Xykon should never change. I imagine him saying "You cheeky..." with grudging respect.

And loved the creepy part of it as well, it gave me goose bumps. What has Blackwing seen? And why has it turned his eyes purple?

Somehow I get the feeling he has looked into the abyss (the snarl) and found it to be looking back. His poor avian mind simple can't handle such a sight.

The wait for the next strip will be unbearable!

PacManDreaming
2009-06-06, 09:46 AM
I literally LOLed when I saw the last panel. That was pure comedic genius, Rich.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-06, 09:49 AM
Yes you are right, charmed is not the rigt term, and maybe none of the mind effec tht we have seen util now neither!
If I remember well mind effect as charm person or suggestion all have swirly eyes as a graphical effect, right?
So probably it is some homebrewed effect of the Snarl, probably a god-like ability, anyone?

Perhaps getting a good look at the Snarl is a bit like getting a good look at Cthulhu.

Woodsman
2009-06-06, 09:49 AM
I literally LOLed when I saw the last panel. That was pure comedic genius, Rich.

So this! I about died!

KilltheToy
2009-06-06, 09:55 AM
This will be the most satisfying BOOM! ever. That's all I have to say.

Lamech
2009-06-06, 09:56 AM
Can V auto-fail caster check? He could have at least cast it at level 5. That would spike the chance of him not beating SR. /rules

Hahahahahaha Thats great. Did V learn she doesn't have to put "explosive runes" when he casts it? I wonder if Xykon will figure it out before it goes off in his face. And if the blast will be strong enough to break Xykon's grip and send it into the rift. (Assuming V didn't learn not to put explosive runes.) And if it does get blasted into the rift how many people will come out with physic's lawyering.

Shraik
2009-06-06, 09:56 AM
This issue was brilliant. It actually made me laugh out loud.

Gedrean
2009-06-06, 09:59 AM
Explosive Runes, Good to the last boom.

Drogorn
2009-06-06, 10:02 AM
I wonder if perhaps dropping the phylactery into the snarl might wake it up?

snafu
2009-06-06, 10:02 AM
Beautiful plan. The bird might bottle it, or stall as we've seen here. Xykon might catch up and try to interfere. So, plan B. If Xykon gets close enough to recover his phylactery, Explosive Runes triggers, kills the bird, drops the phylactery, mission accomplished.

Ruthless indeed. I like it.

I suggested last time around that instead of healing O-Chul, V ought to have plastered the body with Post-It notes covered in Explosive Runes, for Xykon to find next time he turned around. This is a far more heroic use of her old favourite spell.

Incidentally, should the bird survive the explosion, might the phylactery still drop? We know the phylactery itself is too tough to be destroyed by the maximum 36 damage from the spell: but is the chain part of the phylactery, or is it just mundane metal by which the phylactery hangs?

selgnij
2009-06-06, 10:04 AM
:) That, that was a good punchline.

By the way, just noticed: going by todays comic, looks like the number of caws that run together show the number of syllables in the word.

OmegaDonut
2009-06-06, 10:06 AM
Hahahahahaha Thats great. Did V learn she doesn't have to put "explosive runes" when he casts it? I wonder if Xykon will figure it out before it goes off in his face. And if the blast will be strong enough to break Xykon's grip and send it into the rift. (Assuming V didn't learn not to put explosive runes.) And if it does get blasted into the rift how many people will come out with physic's lawyering.

I think V always knew that *he never had to put "Explosive Runes" in the writing. When he explained this to Belkar back here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html), *he was probably bluffing and Belkar didn't have enough (or any) Spellcraft ranks to realize it.

doodthedud
2009-06-06, 10:07 AM
HAHA! Explosive Runes again! Here comes the prankster V.

abishur
2009-06-06, 10:09 AM
awesome, from the name of the title, to the last panel, it's filled with little references and pure humor!

I know we're all leaning towards the spell he cast being explosive runes, but back here in 221 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html), V seems to imply that writting the words "Explosive Runs" is part of the spell.

Now I have no problem with accepting that Rich left it off for comedic purposes, but I'd also love some speculation on what V might have cast on the phylactery instead of explosive runes (operating under the assumption, of course, that the words explosive runes is not, in fact, writting on the side we can't see)

Kaytara
2009-06-06, 10:11 AM
I've been thinking about what may happen in the next comic - and more to the point, what will happen to V and O-Chul now that they're standing there helpless. I think it is possible that at least one of them is NOT actually helpless - namely, V, with his wizard's high Will save. If he only pretended to be affected by the Hold Person spell so as to avoid being bothered by Xykon while the latter chases the phylactery, it would be nicely in line with his very recent tendency to use smart and sneaky tactics. Plus, he'll have to decide what to do with O-Chul, which would also be interesting.

I also like how V follows O-Chul into battle with a sort of "Oh my god, the paladin is actually NUTS" look. XD But follows him nevertheless.

snafu
2009-06-06, 10:13 AM
V ought to have plastered the body with Post-It notes covered in Explosive Runes

Would this be possible, by the way? Reading the spell description, Explosive Runes is permanent. So she ought to be able to stockpile rigged objects every day. Then take a page from the Konohagakure Official Guide to Combat Tactics, and fling darts with exploding paper tags attached to them all over the place.

It would be useful in situations like this. Rather than having to have the spell conveniently prepared, just pull out an Explosive Runes sticker and affix it to the object to be protected. Much quicker, and frees up a spell slot for other uses too.

SteveDJ
2009-06-06, 10:17 AM
I wonder why Blackwing *is* just hovering there, though. :smallconfused:

Here is my theory (and no, I haven't read the whole thread, so likely ninja'd already, but proceeding nonetheless): V instructed Blackwing to hover over the rift until X had arrived... but didn't explain why (hence, Blackwing's comment about not understanding).

The sad thing is, Blackwing isn't likely to survive the explosion. :smallfrown:

Starscream
2009-06-06, 10:20 AM
I know we're all leaning towards the spell he cast being explosive runes, but back here in 221 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html), V seems to imply that writting the words "Explosive Runs" is part of the spell.

Pretty sure that was just to trick Belkar. By RAW you can cast the spell on anything that bears writing, regardless of what the writing is. Apparently you just enchant the text itself, so you can turn any words into a bomb.

Always incorporating the words "Explosive Runes" was just V's dry sense of humor. If you need to write something, why not that?

SteveDJ
2009-06-06, 10:21 AM
Oh, wait! The runes are NOT the same... traditionally, isn't the statement supposed to be "...I prepared ...", not "...I cast..."? Could the spell in fact be something just a little different???

Nah!

bird2234
2009-06-06, 10:22 AM

Nah, the Snarl consumes everything that falls into one of the rifts, so another soul won't do anything that hasn't happened already.

Anyway, this is the best comic I've seen in a while, with plenty of action and a punchline that made me laugh. Great job, Giant.

Logalmier
2009-06-06, 10:23 AM
YAY! Explosive Runes!

On a side note, I wonder what Xykon has planed for V and O-Chul, after all he did paralyze them instead of just killing them. Perhaps it will give them enough time to escape, while Xykon is trying to save his phylactery.

Selene
2009-06-06, 10:24 AM
Word of God on V's spells being replenished:

That being said, yes, it was my intention that when Vaarsuvius regained his spell slots, he chose whatever spells he wanted in them, since that's what always happens when a wizard regains spell slots: you choose your spells. That's why I said it replenished slots instead of replenished spells, because slots need to be then prepared. It doesn't take an hour to do so for the same reason V didn't need to rest for 8 hours, because it was Big Mojo Magic that breaks the rules. It wasn't explicitly shown because it never occurred to me that it mattered to anyone, and I already waste enough panels explaining things that aren't actually important to satisfy a certain subset of readers. I have to draw the line somewhere, and this is where I drew it.

Hopefully, that will end the argument. Though perhaps that's overly optimistic of me.

Also, it's nice to see V recovering from his power quest and becoming effective again. :smallsmile:

kierthos
2009-06-06, 10:24 AM
Well, given that the Snarl did reach through the Forest Gate and kill Soon's wife, I'd say it's already awake. However, dropping the phylactery in the Snarl might give the Snarl the chance to put itself (or a tiny fraction thereof) in the phylactery (evicting Xykon's soul in the process), this allowing the Snarl a limited presence in the world. Of course, the Snarl would then have to eject the phylactery back out into the world, let Xykon die/kill Xykon, and thus "rebuild" himself into Xykon's body.

However, we have no evidence of the level of intelligence of the Snarl, merely knowledge of it's power and rage.

SohumB
2009-06-06, 10:26 AM
So between Blackwing's appearance last strip, explosive runes this strip, and the mitd's presumable-turncoating soon, this arc is probably going to go down as "V and O-Chul destroy the phylactery through the power of running gags."

AND IT WILL BE EPIC

(Also crap the snarl can do something homebrewed to raven familiars.)

HandofShadows
2009-06-06, 10:29 AM
For all of Xykon's talk about power this and power that, he has just been officially

OWNED

by a low level spell.

Just goes yo show it's not always the spells you have, it's how you use them. I bet that Xykon never thought to make himself resistant to that sort of low level spell either. I has suspected that V might pull out a low level spell, but not the old runes.

motub
2009-06-06, 10:29 AM
We know the phylactery itself is too tough to be destroyed by the maximum 36 damage from the spell
Do we? As far as I know, it's an "ordinary" holy symbol (meaning, not made of exceptionally sturdy materials such as "adamantium" or whatever), which has been heavily buffed by various spells to prevent damage from outside forces attacking it (being smashed by someone like O-Chul, someone casting a Fireball, and probably someone casting Disintegrate as well, and so forth).

But Explosive Runes bypasses all this, because the object the Runes are written on takes the full damage, with no saving throw. And apparently Xykon forgot to buff the phylactery against.... pens/pencils. Unless the holy symbol is made of diamond, or one of those buffs somehow gave it more HP (or indeed the act of making it a phylactery gave it more HP), I would rather doubt that any simple object light enough to wear around your neck in the manner of a holy symbol of the common sort would have more than 36 native XP (and if I really had to make up a number, I'd say 5-15. It's a pendant!).

Mercenary Pen
2009-06-06, 10:30 AM
Oh, wait! The runes are NOT the same... traditionally, isn't the statement supposed to be "...I prepared ...", not "...I cast..."? Could the spell in fact be something just a little different???

Nah!

Something Different you say...

Perhaps this:

Empowered Vaarsuvius' Supreme Explosive Runes...

More damage, plus bonus damage against anyone the caster doesn't like, No Spell Resistance, Range: Ranged Touch against the first creature to read it or attempt to dispel it after casting.

That seem to cover all the weaknesses the original spell had?

Drogorn
2009-06-06, 10:30 AM
Well, given that the Snarl did reach through the Forest Gate and kill Soon's wife, I'd say it's already awake. However, dropping the phylactery in the Snarl might give the Snarl the chance to put itself (or a tiny fraction thereof) in the phylactery (evicting Xykon's soul in the process), this allowing the Snarl a limited presence in the world. Of course, the Snarl would then have to eject the phylactery back out into the world, let Xykon die/kill Xykon, and thus "rebuild" himself into Xykon's body.

However, we have no evidence of the level of intelligence of the Snarl, merely knowledge of it's power and rage.

That was before they sealed up the snarl with the gates though, correct?

Jagos
2009-06-06, 10:33 AM
First that is an awesome title. It always bodes well when I get the giggles just looking at the title.

I'm loving V going the smart path and Xykon should never change. I imagine him saying "You cheeky..." with grudging respect.

And loved the creepy part of it as well, it gave me goose bumps. What has Blackwing seen? And why has it turned his eyes purple?

Somehow I get the feeling he has looked into the abyss (the snarl) and found it to be looking back. His poor avian mind simple can't handle such a sight.

The wait for the next strip will be unbearable!

Howdy folks... I've been looking at the thread a while. Just thought I might mention, did NO ONE remember Celia and her issue (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0315.html) with bright lights? Come on. It's a double running gag and no one caught it. Good work Giant. :)

snafu
2009-06-06, 10:35 AM
Unless the holy symbol is made of diamond, or one of those buffs somehow gave it more HP (or indeed the act of making it a phylactery gave it more HP), I would rather doubt that any simple object light enough to wear around your neck in the manner of a holy symbol of the common sort would have more than 36 native XP (and if I really had to make up a number, I'd say 5-15. It's a pendant!).

The standard phylactery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm#theLichsPhylactery) has 40 hit points. Just slightly too much to be destroyed by Explosive Runes - although if it were to fall and miss the rift, I wonder how much extra damage a fall from this height to the hard ground below would do?

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-06, 10:36 AM
:smallbiggrin: V wins 200 awesome points. I love explosive runes.

Logalmier
2009-06-06, 10:36 AM
For all of Xykon's talk about power this and power that, he has just been officially

OWNED

by a low level spell.

Just goes yo show it's not always the spells you have, it's how you use them. I bet that Xykon never thought to make himself resistant to that sort of low level spell either. I has suspected that V might pull out a low level spell, but not the old runes.

I don't really think so... A better term might be 'temporarily inconvenienced.' It's unlikely that that spell would actually hurt Xykon. If it distracts him enough so that Blackwing can destroy the phylactery then yes, that's bad for him. But because Blackwing seems to be hypnotized by the rift, it remains to be seen if the phylactery is gonna be destroyed or not.

Hey, and I just noticed that Qarr's speech balloon is orange and red. Maybe he's trying to join the the Inter-Fiend-Commission by changing his text bubbles.:smalltongue:

SohumB
2009-06-06, 10:37 AM
The standard phylactery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm#theLichsPhylactery) has 40 hit points.

Bear in mind, though, that O-Chul has already thwacked on it quite a bit. Xykon just said he'd need to do more to "scuff the finish", which sounds like he could've easily done 5hp or so worth of damage...

vrellum
2009-06-06, 10:38 AM
I don't think explosive runes makes a lot of sense. It's not like it will do enough damage to hurt Xykon, it won't destroy the phylactery and it won't kill Blackwing. So what could it do?

Maybe if Rich wanted to make a gag and have the explosion throw the phy. into the rift... but it seems a bit of a stetch. For that to work Blackwing would have to basically be willing to throw it into the rift anyway, but instead of doing so, wait around for Xykon to catchup to him and hope the explosion

I think misdirection would be a far better choice. V is high enough level to cast it and it would significantly improve the chances that Blackwing would be successful.

abishur
Pretty sure that was just to trick Belkar. By RAW you can cast the spell on anything that bears writing, regardless of what the writing is. Apparently you just enchant the text itself, so you can turn any words into a bomb.

Always incorporating the words "Explosive Runes" was just V's dry sense of humor. If you need to write something, why not that?

well yes, but it's more of a consistency thing in this case. From the very beginning saying explosive runes has been the thing that triggered the spell. I know (now) that it's not necessary in D&D, but in OOTS there has been a precedence set on how the spell works in this universe.

IF it is still explosive runes, I doubt that it would destroy the phylactery, but it would probably give it that extra something to get in the last few feet/yards into the rift. I'd also speculate that it would blast Xy back a little and may end up saving his unlife.

If it's not explosive runes, I could see the following situation:

V planned for Xy to somehow incapacitate them and cast the writing on the phylactery as a diversion.

V made a saving throw on mass hold person (or perhaps as it has already been speculated the third potion that was not shown being consumed was some kind of magic resistance boost that V drank for this very scenario)

V is using this time to run out the door holding O-chu as fast as her little elven legs can carry him!

Maybe if Rich wanted to make a gag and have the explosion throw the phy. into the rift... but it seems a bit of a stetch. For that to work Blackwing would have to basically be willing to throw it into the rift anyway, but instead of doing so, wait around for Xykon to catchup to him and hope the explosion

IF it is explosive runes, it was most likely cast as a last ditch effort. V wouldn't have planned for bw to stop just so Xy could get blast by the runes. It's more likely that it would have been cast just in case Xy got there before bw could throw the phylactery in the rift.

kierthos
That was before they sealed up the snarl with the gates though, correct?Hrm. Good point.

Super_slash2
2009-06-06, 10:44 AM
Amazing story progression. I don't understand why he wanted the bird to be stationary instead of dropping it in and leaving. To make sure Xykon falls in as well?

.... still rooting for Xykon though. I'm looking forward to a final climactic no-holds-barred battle. I have a feeling losing the phylactery will cause Xykon to play down his abilities now and that'd be a shame to a neat although evil character.

But V and O-Chul were really smart trying to create a diversion and casting what's pretty much V's trademark spell.

Hope this keeps up its streak of awesomeness.

vanjito
2009-06-06, 10:50 AM
X looks just like Superman when flying :xykon:

Eric O'Really
2009-06-06, 10:51 AM
ahahahahaha....

*gasp*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

classic, just classic XD

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-06-06, 10:52 AM
Amazing story progression. I don't understand why he wanted the bird to be stationary instead of dropping it in and leaving. To make sure Xykon falls in as well?

I think it is meant to be a backup plan in case something went wrong. Like Xykon catching Blackwing.

Of course nobody was anticipating Blackwing would be enthralled by what he saw in the rift.

Zorack
2009-06-06, 10:56 AM

.... still rooting for Xykon though. I'm looking forward to a final climactic no-holds-barred battle. I have a feeling losing the phylactery will cause Xykon to play down his abilities now and that'd be a shame to a neat although evil character.

But V and O-Chul were really smart trying to create a diversion and casting what's pretty much V's trademark spell.

Hope this keeps up its streak of awesomeness.

The bird was hypnotized by the rift because it was pretty :P

Eric O'Really
2009-06-06, 10:59 AM
so, now that i caught my breath again, i came to think why this should be any good. aside from being a comedic critical hit, explosive runes do not nearly do neough dmage to either xykon or to blackwing, to get the bird dropping the phylactery or hurting big x at all. :smallconfused:

remember, that a familiar gets half his patrons hitpoints, so it will just give blackwing a little scratch. though he might get scared and let it fall out of the shock. :smallamused:

Runeclaw
2009-06-06, 10:59 AM
Raven's HP: (14*3)/2 = 21

Explosive Runes damage: 3.5*6 = 21

Touch and go

Elderac
2009-06-06, 11:00 AM
*snip* Is the chain part of the phylactery, or is it just mundane metal by which the phylactery hangs?

A paladin with a improvised weapon snapped the chain off of Redcloak, so I beleive the answer is that is its mundane.

Tredrick
2009-06-06, 11:01 AM
The standard phylactery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm#theLichsPhylactery) has 40 hit points. Just slightly too much to be destroyed by Explosive Runes - although if it were to fall and miss the rift, I wonder how much extra damage a fall from this height to the hard ground below would do?

This is not a standard phylactery. It will have how ever many HP a standard holy symbol has. I bet it is less than 40.

Also, is there any way to ward against force damage? I recall that being one of the big advantages to Magic Missile, Explosive Runes and other force based spells.

:) That, that was a good punchline.

By the way, just noticed: going by todays comic, looks like the number of caws that run together show the number of syllables in the word.

I like this, but there seems to be one extra caw in before "understand" at the end.

Eric O'Really
2009-06-06, 11:02 AM

Touch and go

still pretty close. if v just has a constitution modifier of +1 or is at lvl 15, it could be not enough. but i think that falls into the story instead of into the rules.

but still i didnt think it was so close. back in the days, my 3.5 wizard managed to get around a 100hitpoints at lvl 10. but i rolled pretty good and kept my ability booster up to date (+maximized false life in the morning), so may have highly overestimated v's hitpoints.

wizuriel
2009-06-06, 11:02 AM
so the question is who has the power now? V's spell or Xykon's sleight of hand

Dork Lord
2009-06-06, 11:05 AM
V outsmarted Xykon. Gods help me, I LOVE it when Xykon is outsmarted. :smallamused:

Essex
2009-06-06, 11:06 AM

Touch and go
You're a bit off.

The Raven familiar of an average 14th level PC wizard with no Con bonus or penalty has 36.5 hp (4+[2.5x13]=36.5).

Since the Explosive Runes spell inflicts a maximum of 36 points of damage, the Raven should be safe from the spell.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:06 AM
Amazing, but will the explosion propel the amulet into the hole, or will it send it off in another wild direction?
I can't wait to find out

Depanding on the "abjurations" on it, 6d6 points of magical Force damage could *almost* destroy the Phylactery. I'm not sure if there are any core spells that soak Force damage, either. If you can Empower Explosive Runes, Xykon might be in trouble.

texascarl
2009-06-06, 11:07 AM
Good work. Nice way to start my day.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:08 AM
You're a bit off.

The Raven familiar of an average 14th level PC wizard with no Con bonus or penalty has 36.5 hp (4+[2.5x13]=36.5).

Since the Explosive Runes spell inflicts a maximum of 36 points of damage, the Raven should be safe from the spell.

Nope, I made the same mistake two days ago. Read the line *below* the Hit Dice entry for Familiars.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:10 AM
This is not a standard phylactery. It will have how ever many HP a standard holy symbol has. I bet it is less than 40.

That isn't how phylacteries work. They all have a 20 Hardness & 40 HP. It doesn't matter if you make one out of a dandelion, it will have the same stats.

Emmerson Grant
2009-06-06, 11:11 AM
+5 Holy Cojones? Awesome.

V using the old standby, Explosive Runes? 5 gajillion tons of awesome.

Great job, Giant.

mec
2009-06-06, 11:11 AM
I had to stop reading for a while after Panel 2 because O-Chul's line was just so awesome.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:12 AM
so, now that i caught my breath again, i came to think why this should be any good. aside from being a comedic critical hit, explosive runes do not nearly do neough dmage to either xykon or to blackwing, to get the bird dropping the phylactery or hurting big x at all. :smallconfused:

remember, that a familiar gets half his patrons hitpoints, so it will just give blackwing a little scratch. though he might get scared and let it fall out of the shock. :smallamused:

Empower Explosive Runes?

chilepepper
My question is, in panel one the raven seems to be talking to, or in response to, the other's speech. Why does the raven say "Caw caw...." when raven familiars speak a language of their masters choice (usually common or the casters native tongue)? Why wouldn't the raven respond to V in the language (s)he chose?

Essex
This is not a standard phylactery. It will have how ever many HP a standard holy symbol has.
Yes and no. While it isn't the small metal box of a standard phylactery, it has likely been subject to a spell such as Hardening (page 109 of the Spell Compendium), which permanently increases an object's hardness by 1 point per 2 caster levels. If they got the spell off of a scroll, then the object's hardness was increased by at least 5 points.

badam104172
2009-06-06, 11:13 AM
I applauded when I finished this one... I didn't even notice that V was casting a spell beforehand until I reread the comic.

SatyreIkon
2009-06-06, 11:14 AM
Nice order for a familiar. "Fly over there, then go BOOM!" :smalltongue:

Shadowbane
2009-06-06, 11:15 AM
...Yes. Ohhhhh yes.

Dork Lord
2009-06-06, 11:15 AM
My question is, in panel one the raven seems to be talking to, or in response to, the other's speech. Why does the raven say "Caw caw...." when raven familiars speak a language of their masters choice (usually common or the casters native tongue)? Why wouldn't the raven respond to V in the language (s)he chose?

V stated in a strip long ago that the Raven refuses to speak Common, even though it can.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:16 AM
Do we? As far as I know, it's an "ordinary" holy symbol (meaning, not made of exceptionally sturdy materials such as "adamantium" or whatever), which has been heavily buffed by various spells to prevent damage from outside forces attacking it (being smashed by someone like O-Chul, someone casting a Fireball, and probably someone casting Disintegrate as well, and so forth).

But Explosive Runes bypasses all this, because the object the Runes are written on takes the full damage, with no saving throw. And apparently Xykon forgot to buff the phylactery against.... pens/pencils. Unless the holy symbol is made of diamond, or one of those buffs somehow gave it more HP (or indeed the act of making it a phylactery gave it more HP), I would rather doubt that any simple object light enough to wear around your neck in the manner of a holy symbol of the common sort would have more than 36 native XP (and if I really had to make up a number, I'd say 5-15. It's a pendant!).

A phylactery is a phylactery is a phylactery. Same rules whether it is made of unobtanium or cotton.

motub
2009-06-06, 11:17 AM
The standard phylactery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm#theLichsPhylactery) has 40 hit points.
The Standard Phylactery

(The most common form of phylactery) is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed. The box is Tiny and has 40 hit points

I read the statement above to imply that the 40 HP comes more from it being metal in a box shape (thus fortified) than from it being enchanted as a phylactery. It certainly doesn't (to me) indicate that another object, made of more fragile materials, would "automatically" have 40HP just because it was enchanted as a phylactery.

This non-standard phylactery is clearly not a Tiny sealed metal box. It is known to be a "standard" holy symbol, which might be made of wood, metal or heck, even glass (you can make a glass pendant and hang it on a metal chain-- and we don't care about the chain as such). So it could conceivably be made of a different material than metal, with many fewer than 40 HP, but due to the buffs, it doesn't take the damage that it would normally take by being whacked/fireballed/disintegrated/whatever other sort of damage X thought might befall it.

In fact, the very fact that it has been so heavily buffed against various forms of damage suggests that it is natively more fragile than the standard phylactery (which means that 36 certain points of damage on a good exceptional roll would blast it into smithereens. If it was glass, or partially glass-- since it has always looked to me like a decorated glass "bubble" in a circular metal frame-- it might not even take that much, which is lucky, because an exceptional set of rolls is by no means assured).

But that could just be me :smallsmile:.

Porthos
2009-06-06, 11:17 AM
You know, the fact that people are seriously arguing over whether or not V cast (some version of) Explosive Runes on the phylactery is proof positive, as if we really needed it, that people will argue about ANYTHING on this board. :smallbiggrin:

Masterful comic, Rich. :smallcool:

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-06-06, 11:21 AM
Yayz! The return of the Explosive Runes gag!

Essex
2009-06-06, 11:22 AM
Nope, I made the same mistake two days ago. Read the line *below* the Hit Dice entry for Familiars.
Ah. I forgot to halve the number. Half of 36.5 is 18.25.

So, assuming average hp at each level, the Familiar's hp, depending on V's Constitution modifier, is:

Con 10-11: 18 hp
Con 12-13: 25 hp
Con 14-15: 32 hp
Given the -2 Elven penalty to Constitution and the fact that V undoubtably prioritized Intelligence boosts at every 4th level, I assume that V's Constitution is no higher than 15.

Since the Explosive Runes spell does an average of 21 damage, I hope that V either rolled high for hp, rolled low for damage or has at least a +1 Constitution modifier.

Silverraptor
2009-06-06, 11:24 AM
Explosive Runes! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:smallbiggrin:

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:24 AM
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Doesn't explosive runes do the same kind of damage that meteor swarm does? If that's the case then Xykon will be immune to any damage (or knockback) from the spell right? if he grabs the phylactery before the triggered explosion goes of, then they'd both stay still right? GAH my head hurts Imoen-style!

I don't know, i always thought the phylactery would make it to some "FINAL BATTLE" but i don't know anymore, and it'd at least mean that V really did accomplish something, before s/he... you know... bites it big time. i Reeeaaaallly dont see how O-Chul and V'll come outa this alive, but then again, the giant knows how to write a good sory so we'll see

No silly, Meteor Swarm does Bludgeoning & Fire damage, that is all. Liches have 15/- bludge DR & Xykon has something, probably his robes, that either make him immune or highly resistant to fire.

Jaysyn
2009-06-06, 11:26 AM
I read the statement above to imply that the 40 HP comes more from it being metal in a box shape (thus fortified) than from it being enchanted as a phylactery. It certainly doesn't (to me) indicate that another object, made of more fragile materials, would "automatically" have 40HP just because it was enchanted as a phylactery.

Well you are incorrect, SCRUBBED

Porthos
2009-06-06, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Jaysyn;6230729]Well you are incorrect, SCRUBBED/QUOTE]

As much as I hate to say something like this...

Isn't that "only" according to Libris Mortis? Because as far as I know, nowhere in the three "Core" books/SRD is your assertion mentioned. Which is why people keep asking the question. Outside of LM, it is up to DM discrection.

So it's not "SCRUBBED", but simply people looking for an alternative explanation. :smallsmile:

factotum
2009-06-06, 11:35 AM
Well you are incorrect, sorry about your SCRUBBED

Got a rules quote proving motub is wrong? Just you saying it don't make it so, and I would agree that the listed paragraph suggests those stats are specific to the box-like phylactery. Also note that Xykon required Redcloak's help to become a lich, which is different from the way the SRD says liches are created; therefore, we're in homebrew territory and anything could happen.

As for the Raven, there are a lot of people forgetting that the familiar of a wizard as high level as V has Spell Resistance, so there's a good chance Blackwing won't be affected by the Explosive Runes (and yes, it is definitely Explosive Runes, there's nothing else that would reasonably fit given what we know about V).

I think the overall result of whatever happens here is that Xykon will survive and the phylactery won't--we then have to figure out why he just doesn't go back in the tower, rip V's spine out and beat O-Chul to death with it! Something will prevent that happening, but I'm as yet uncertain what.

Stormthorn
2009-06-06, 11:36 AM
V needs to take Signature Spell so he can spontaniously cast Expolding Runes without preperation.

Calmness
2009-06-06, 11:40 AM
Hmm... are there official numbers for holy symbol hardness and HP?

abishur
2009-06-06, 11:47 AM
Got a rules quote proving motub is wrong? Just you saying it don't make it so, and I would agree that the listed paragraph suggests those stats are specific to the box-like phylactery. Also note that Xykon required Redcloak's help to become a lich, which is different from the way the SRD says liches are created; therefore, we're in homebrew territory and anything could happen.

As for the Raven, there are a lot of people forgetting that the familiar of a wizard as high level as V has Spell Resistance, so there's a good chance Blackwing won't be affected by the Explosive Runes (and yes, it is definitely Explosive Runes, there's nothing else that would reasonably fit given what we know about V).

I think the overall result of whatever happens here is that Xykon will survive and the phylactery won't--we then have to figure out why he just doesn't go back in the tower, rip V's spine out and beat O-Chul to death with it! Something will prevent that happening, but I'm as yet uncertain what.

Indeed, for the sake of arguement, couldn't we just accept that that Xy will definately survive and the bird will probably survive.

As for the phylactery, don't forget that Xy himself says "There are so many spell protecting that thing, I've forgotten what half of them actually do". So no matter how much we all bicker about the stats, Rich could always say, "one of the spells he forgot about what protection from explosive runes" (or maybe something more legit :smallwink:). Meaning that the phylactery has a strong chance of survival too.

All that said, if explosive runes was cast on it (Rich has set a precedence for requiring the words "explosive runes" being both spelled (ha ha) and vocalized as part of the spell in the OOTS regardless of it's actual mechanics) then the point would probably be to further stall Xy or give it that final push towards the rift.

silvadel
2009-06-06, 11:52 AM
Could be maximized explosive runes also -- doesnt have to simply be 6d6.

I also like how the fiends are like "I dont know but I bet the lich doesnt either"

Also force damage is the kind of damage Xykon is least likely to be protected against.

======

All hail blackwing -- the new avatar of the snarl.

======

Oh and lastly it is very nice having the site be so snappy right after a new strip like this.

DnDgeek13
2009-06-06, 11:55 AM
YES!!!it just goes to show that a is always a and V is always V.

Stormthorn
2009-06-06, 11:56 AM
Isn't that "only" according to Libris Mortis? Because as far as I know, nowhere in the three "Core" books/SRD is your assertion mentioned. Which is why people keep asking the question. Outside of LM, it is up to DM discrection.

Well, in the MM a standard phy is just as he described it.

In the SRD its the same way.

Dork Lord
2009-06-06, 11:57 AM
My Wizard in a game once researched and created an 8th level spell called Greater Explosive Runes, since I couldn't find it anywhere in any book. It did 1d6 damage per caster level (max 25d6). Imagine THAT spell on the Phylactery. :smallamused:

Froogleyboy
2009-06-06, 12:02 PM
"I prepared Explosive Runes this morning"

Man, its been forever since this happend